The construction of a visor over the porch opens up to the owner of the house a lot of advantages, among which, above all, protection of the entrance of the building from the effects of precipitation and ultraviolet radiation. The choice of polycarbonate, as a material for the construction of the porch allows you to make a presentable visor of any shape and configuration. On the peculiarities of the manufacture of this element of the building let's talk further.
The advantages of using polycarbonate for the construction of the visor
Polycarbonate, first of all, will allow to dissipate solar radiation, thereby, not shading a design. In addition, the transmission of ultraviolet light allows you to quickly dry the visor after precipitation.
Polycarbonate is an inorganic material that, interacting with the environment, does not lose its properties.
Polycarbonate products are quite practical and durable. They are resistant to mechanical stress, including hail. Well tolerated temperature drops, fireproof and practically non-flammable.
Another significant advantage of polycarbonate is its flexibility, with which the visor will take on any necessary shape and configuration.
Polycarbonate is not able to conduct heat and air, and therefore it will provide reliable protection from the wind.
In addition, when choosing a polycarbonate, there is a huge variety of colors and shades that harmoniously fit into almost any exterior. This material is not able to fade in the sun, since the technology of applying color pigment involves painting it directly in the process of hardening of the material.
Among the advantages of using polycarbonate should be noted:
- fire safety and resistance to fire,
- high level of flexibility
- resistance to mechanical damage,
- good thermal insulation characteristics
- variety of colors
- durability before burnout
- resistance to corrosion, rotting, mold and fungus,
- ease of processing.
Requirements for a visor over a polycarbonate porch
Before making the visor, it is first necessary to determine the main functions that it will perform. Among the minimum number of requirements, we note:
- ability to maintain not only its own weight, but also the load from snow, rain, wind, etc.,
- since moisture gets on the roof, care should be taken to ensure that there is a storage tank or a collection system,
- preferably, if the visor will protect not only the front door, but the entire porch,
- the visor must be in harmony with the general appearance of the whole building.
Functions and design of the visor above the porch
Arrangement of the entrance area in the building requires a visor that protects the door from moisture, sun or wind. In addition, the canopy over the porch performs an aesthetic function, thereby giving a complete and attractive appearance to the entrance area.
There are a huge number of options for decorating the porch, which differ in shape, configuration and materials used in the process of their construction.
Before you get acquainted with them, we suggest to consider the main functions that are assigned to the visor above the porch:
- providing protection - as mentioned earlier, the visor protects the entrance of the house from moisture, wind and solar radiation,
- giving the building comfort and warmth - in winter, it is more convenient to open the door, on which there is a shed, as it protects the person going out or entering the house from the cold,
- The addition of the design and the overall exterior of the visit is another important function of the canopy.
The construction of a visor for the front door is not a complicated procedure, since this element is sold both in finished form and in the form of materials for its construction.
The main thing is to take into account the wishes of all residents of the house and compare the visor with the individual characteristics of the building itself. In addition, the durability properties and the practical purpose of acquiring this exterior element should be considered.
It is on the design of the visor depends on the appearance and beauty of the whole house. In order for the visor to really become a decoration of a building, it is necessary, choosing materials, for its manufacturing to compare it with a common exterior. For example, when arranging a visor for a wooden house, it is better to give preference to wood in combination with other environmentally friendly materials, if you plan to install a visor in a brick house, then metal with polycarbonate is perfect for making a visor.
The roof of the visor and the entire building should also be in harmony with each other. In choosing the color of the visor should be guided by two rules:
- the shade should completely coincide with one of the primary colors of the building,
- the color of the visor should contrast with the overall exterior.
Visor over the porch photos and varieties
One of the most popular - custom-made visors. In this case, the customer receives high-quality and practical coating, ready for use. In addition, in addition to material investments, it is not necessary to spend time and effort for the manufacture of this element of the exterior.
Among the most popular designs of visors, in relation to the material from which they are made should be highlighted:
1. Polycarbonate visor form.
This type of visors has a lot of advantages, among which - quality, practicality, power, reliability, durability. In addition, polycarbonate has a fairly presentable appearance, it is well combined with other materials, has a huge color palette. In addition, to make a polycarbonate visor with your own hands is quite simple, this procedure does not take much time.
2. Steel visors.
More simple in appearance, but at the same time, an affordable option, making a visor over the porch of steel. To perform this procedure, you will need a welding machine and certain skills to work with it. Although the steel structure has a certain reliability and durability, it requires careful maintenance from its owner, and above all, treatment with anti-corrosion compounds.
3. Use of a professional flooring for production of a peak.
If this finishing material is used in the arrangement of the roof, fence or gate, then its use in this case is quite appropriate. The disadvantages of this visor include its instability before mechanical damage.
4. The construction of a visor made of plastic.
This option has the same advantages as the polycarbonate visor, but only if the plastic selected for work is of high quality and is designed for exterior decoration of buildings. The framework for the installation of plastic is made of any materials in the form of wood, iron, the same plastic, etc. Among the positive qualities of this material is noted its strength, durability and lightness of design.
5. Metal tile for the construction of the visor.
This type of visor has a fairly large weight, it is installed in the event that the roof is also trimmed with metal tile.
6. The use of forging is an extraordinary solution.
This type of visor has a presentable, luxurious appearance. Although its cost is quite high, it will really become a real decoration of the building.
It is possible to use forging with other types of materials, such as cellular polycarbonate, shingles, plastic. Since the design has a rather large weight, its installation should be made with high quality.
7. Wooden canopies over the porch.
This version of the porch has a wooden frame, which is covered with any type of roofing or finishing materials in the form of tiles, polycarbonate, plastic, etc. This type of visor is most often installed in houses of laminated veneer lumber or log.
Polycarbonate porch visor: types and design
The main components of any visor are:
- frame - the main part, which takes and distributes the entire load,
- external coating - roofing or finishing material.
In relation to the mounting method, the visors are:
- supporting - they are massive, for fixation they require the presence of steel pipes or wooden supports,
- suspended - a more simplified version, differ in small size and are mounted on the wall of the building.
In relation to the form, the visors are:
In addition, there is the option of constructing an open structure that has no walls. The closed peak represents the canopy having walls from two parties. The choice of this or that type of visor depends entirely on the individual characteristics of the building and the functions that are assigned to this element.
In relation to the frame variant, the visors are:
The first option has a lower cost. It is more simple to work, but has a short service life.
Steel structures will last longer, but their construction requires experience and special equipment.
Quite common in the manufacture of the visor, the use of metal. For the assembly of the main part is used welding machine or bolts. Before mounting the product, it is sanding, applying the soil and further painting.
Consider that the steel structure has a higher weight than wood. Aluminum is used to lighten the load on the building.
Visor over the porch do it yourself: manufacturing techniques
Before the construction of the visor above the porch, it is necessary to draw up a drawing and a draft of the future construction. Thus, it will be possible to calculate the future type of visor, the required amount of materials that will be required in the work.
Please note that too narrow a design is not able to provide reliable protection of the front door from weathering. The minimum length of the visor is 800 mm. The width of the structure should be 500 mm larger than the entrance door. In order to avoid debris or snow on the roof surface, a slope should be made with a slope.
Tip: Bearing structure is constructed separately, and then installed in finished form.
In order to build a durable visor over the porch made of polycarbonate will require the presence of:
- sheets of polycarbonate, the thickness of which is more than one centimeter, thus, will be able to give the roof stability,
- steel shaped tubes
- welding machine
- self-tapping screws
- electric drill,
- measuring tape,
- building level
- a pencil.
Tip: To fix the cellular polycarbonate on the surface, special self-tapping screws are required, which have a thermal washer to ensure a secure fit.
Installation instructions polycarbonate visor:
1. Make a marking on the wall of the house, on which mark the attachment points of the supporting structure for the visor. For these purposes, use a tape measure, level and a pencil.
2. Use profile tubes for the manufacture of a structural frame. It is better to choose pipes with a triangular cross section, use welding to connect them. In the absence of experience with the welding machine, it is better to rely on a professional, since the fixing strength and reliability of the design directly depend on the quality of welding.
3. Note that the number of jumpers that increase the rigidity of the structure depends on the length of the frame.
Tip: To improve the appearance of the visor, all seams formed during the welding process are treated with sandpaper.
4. With the help of a drill and a nozzle designed for working with metal objects, make holes for the installation of bolts and fixing the structure on the wall. The minimum number of holes - 4.
5. To install the visor, you will need at least two people, as its weight will not allow one person to mount and fix it.
6. Next is applying a primer on the surface of the profile. After it dries, the pipes are painted.
7. The next step is the installation of polycarbonate. The end sections of the product are subjected to the installation of a special sealing tape, which is inserted into the profile.
8. Take into account that the sheets do not fit against each other, but you should leave a few millimeters of space between them, which will compensate for the thermal expansion of the material.
9. At the joints of the shed with the wall, a sealant is applied to all the joints. Thus, moisture will not get on the front door.
10. To replace the sealant, use a metal strip.
11. Next, a polycarbonate film is removed and the structure is commissioned.
How to make a visor over the porch video:
Basic requirements for the visor
Peaks and canopies for a porch from polycarbonate, as well as from any other material, have to meet such requirements:
- Have reliable structural rigidity. She will have to withstand quite significant loads. This is a stream of water, and snowfall, and a strong wind. To give sufficient stability to the structure, a special frame or base is made, on which polycarbonate or other material will be mounted. At the same time, the highest price of the wrought-iron frame, which is given to the house is aristocratic, and the entrance makes it more solemn and elegant.
Tip: For a classic exterior, the right choice is a transparent polycarbonate visor, framed by elegant forging.
- Correctly determine the area of the visor. Ideal sizes are considered such when the visor covers the entire front door and about 40 cm of the entire area around its perimeter. And extending the shed to the driveway, coming out of the car, do not have to run into the house in the rain. Expanding over the porch visor, you can get a canopy over the entire terrace. But, in this case, you will need to install additional support.
- Have an optimal visor shape. In addition to good drainage, canopy should be in harmony with the general solution architecture of the facade of the house.
Tip: When choosing a canopy shape, you must immediately foresee the installation of a drainage system, which will improve the protection against rain.
Options for sheds over the porch
Before you make a polycarbonate visor for the porch, you should get acquainted with their views.
The main structures are presented in the table:
For normal flow of melt and rainwater, a slope of about 30 ° is made. The roof of the visor is straight or with a bend.
This is not the best option for polycarbonate visors.
If there are two doors, the design takes the form of an elongated dome, as seen in the photo.
The dimensions of the construction correspond to the total size of the used polycarbonate sheets. A canopy consisting of three or more leaves is called an elongated arched.