The benefits of wheat germ
The beneficial properties of wheat germ due to the fact that at the time of germination there are concentrated a large number of nutrients. Wheat sprouts contain almost all good fats and minerals, as well as B vitamins and vitamin E.
That is why many poultry farmers add germinated wheat grains to the ration of laying hens, not only during the cold season, but also on an ongoing basis in order to increase the quantity and quality of eggs.
Wheatgrass has a varied, but consistently good impact on chickens:
- improve immunity
- accelerate the metabolism
- help strengthen muscle and bone tissue,
- increase egg production
- eggs get a good size, their nutritional value increases,
- improved appetite and digestion.
For germination in order to feed chickens, you can buy even low-quality wheat - fodder wheat. It is not suitable for human consumption, but for the birds will be just right. Of course, you can buy wheat and the best varieties. Fodder is in demand among poultry farmers only because of its low cost.
When choosing, pay attention to the external state of the grain, its purity. And if mold is present or an unpleasant smell is noticeable, such a product should be discarded.
Soak the grain
Before soaking the wheat, rinse it with fresh water several times. This will get rid of lumps of dirt and unnecessary husk. Then place the grain in a suitable container, preferably non-metallic. It can be a basin, bucket, pan, etc.
Fill all the water so that the wheat was covered by a centimeter and a half. The water temperature should be in the range of 40-50 ° C, if the grain was kept warm, if it was cold then pour hot water. Keep in mind that the final temperature of our mixture should still be around 40-50 ° C.
When it's time, drain all the water. Prepare a clean, wide and shallow container in advance. Put the grain into it so that the resulting layer of wheat was no more than 5 cm thick.
Video: wheat germination for chickens
After two days the wheat grain will give juicy whitish sprouts. Some experts advise to wait another day to grow longer and stronger shoots, which, of course, will be more nutritious.
But this is not necessary, so you can not spend extra time. After all, before you is fully prepared to eat your chickens nutritious food.
When to give wheat to chickens
Nothing bad will happen if you add germinated grain to the bird ration throughout the year. But in the cold season, when there is no green grass, it is necessary to do it. Chickens will not only be healthy and full of energy, but will also carry excellent eggs. The proportions of adding grain are: 10 chickens - one handful of the finished product per meal.
Experts identify two methods of feeding:
- In the evening, an hour before bedtime. And it is recommended to pour the kernels directly on the litter.
- In the morning or in the afternoon. Germinated grain or give in its pure form, or added to the feeders with other types of food.
Advantages of day feeding:
- germinated grain goes directly to the feeders, so the losses are minimal,
- in the daytime, the chickens are active, so they eat the food with pleasure,
- the bird is not gaining extra weight, which the laying hens do not need at all.
The advantages of night feeding:
- wheat germ helps heat the litter,
- chickens loosen the litter when searching for seeds, and this prevents the processes of rotting and debating,
- a bird in a closed henhouse is engaged in eating grain, that is, it is busy and does not miss.
Now you know all the important moments of feeding laying hens germinated wheat grains. It is simple, not at all expensive and very useful. So prepare your bird this tasty and necessary additive.
When not to give it
It should be understood that the uncontrolled absorption of food does not lead to an improvement in the health of the birds, but to its sharp deterioration.
- Iron overload leads to malfunction of the pancreas, liver and other internal organs. Therefore, farmers give no more than 30% of germinated seeds of the total amount of food.
- But sprouts also can not be fed, as the latter belong to dietary products and do not fully saturate with carbohydrates and complex trace elements. The result is an atrophy of muscle mass and a general breakdown, and as a result of immunity.
- It is not necessary to engage in a long time lure, as germinated grains can adversely affect the intestinal tract, causing bloating and diarrhea.
What diseases are relevant for?
Germinated grain gives to strengthen the overall immunity, as a supporting therapy for a number of serious diseases requiring the introduction of antibiotics.
Also similar food is added to the diet of weakened individuals, young layers, when detecting inflammations of the oviduct.
If constipation is detected, or the intestinal tract failure of the veterinarian, in this case, germinated grain is prescribed.
In case of any illnesses, you should still follow the diet and monitor the dosage of the feed, since an excess of vitamins and microelements can play a negative role in shaping the health of the chicken.
Signs of overgrowing with wheat germ
Wheat sprouts contain a concentrated amount of iron, it is the satiety of this trace element that is detrimental to overfeeding. Penetrating the blood arteries in the organs, it accumulates there and can cause poisoning of birds.
Scientists have proven that a surplus of iron leads to the fact that the body ceases to absorb calcium, manganese, zinc, vitamin E. The susceptibility to phosphorus also decreases.
Why germinate wheat for poultry
Wheat is a natural, optimal and complete feed for chickens. Germination reveals the valuable substances of the grain, increasing the nutritional properties.
This technology also provides the following benefits to the feed:
Starch and complex fats in the composition of ordinary grains enter the body and break down there. If the feed is germinated, the reaction will occur before the chicken enters the stomach. Therefore, the bird's body without effort gets microelements and other nutrients: vitamins, amino acids, etc.
Attention! The effect that germinated grain has on egg production rates makes the technology indispensable for laying hens.
Ordinary poultry such food also does not hurt. Especially in the lean winter vitamins. Approximately for these terms there is a tribal period. Lack of nutrients can trigger diseases, increase mortality among chickens, or cause delays in the development of young birds.
Sprouting: the basics of soaking technology
Soaking is one of the most popular ways to germinate wheat. For everything to go smoothly, in the room where the work will be carried out, there must be at least + 20 ° C. Also prepare the tank washed with potassium permanganate and proceed:
- Prepare the grain at the rate of 15-20 g per chicken.
- Pour the food into the container. Fill it with cool water around + 15 ... 20 ° С. Water should be above the grain by 2 cm.
- Poultry farmers are advised to start the procedure in the evening. After 12 hours, the grain absorbs enough liquid. Put some of it in a bag and put it in a dry container to drain water.
- When the liquid is drained, remove the bag in a cool place for about a day. By next morning, sprouted poultry feed will be ready.
- The rest of the soaked grain should be put in another bag, allowed to drain and put in a warm place. This feed will sprout faster - you can feed the chick already in the evening.
- The most useful germinated grain has sprouts no more than 3 mm - in it most of all valuable substances.
Tip After draining the water bag must be laid on its side. Distribute the grain inside it with a layer of not more than 5 cm. Otherwise, the food will spoil. You can pour the grain in the same layer from the bag into the wooden box.
Do not be alarmed if the grain has not sprouted by the next morning. According to the technology, the process can last up to 3 days. During this period, the feed should be mixed periodically. You can also soak it longer. For example, at 24 hours. However, the period should not be more than 3 days - this is a dangerous risk of developing intestinal infections.
It is possible to germinate wheat even longer - up to a sprout of 6 cm. Such greens are very rich in vitamin A. Just put the container with water in the sun. Keep sprouts from growing longer. They can be cut and given to the bird separately, and the grain soaked again to obtain a new portion of greenery.
How to feed chickens germinated wheat
Such grain should not form the basis of poultry nutrition. Best of all, the combined feed will be suitable for it, which will include both germinated and ordinary wheat, and wet, and dry mash. Each ingredient will fulfill its role, supplying the chicken body with valuable substances and helping the digestive processes. Food will be tastier for poultry.
Germinated wheat in large farms acts as a substitute for corn. It also contains a lot of protein, vitamins E and B-group, amino acids. Grain may have a share in chicken feed 10-50%. With minimal inclusion in the diet, wheat acts as a dessert. She served (poured into the litter) for 1 hour before turning off the lighting in the chicken coop. Depending on the needs allowed and more frequent feeding.
Good on the egg production of chickens affects the dish on the basis of wheat flour yeast. The process takes place at an air temperature of + 20 ... 25 ° С in a disinfected container:
- Pour hot water at the rate of 1.5 liters per 1 kg of flour.
- Dissolve the yeast at the rate of 100 g per 10 kg of flour.
- Slowly pour the flour. Stir the liquid. It should be creamy thick.
- Make sure that the layer of the mixture does not exceed 40 cm. Do not cover the container with a lid.
- Leave on for 5-9 hours, periodically stirring the thick.
Tip This mass is used as a top dressing of 1: 5 for the main nutrition of chickens.
Poultry farmers emphasize: in winter, germinated grain should be at least one third of the feed of chickens. In the room where the work is carried out, the sun should not fall. But you need good ventilation. With this technology, you can get valuable greens for birds, even in cold weather.
Soak future dressing in a large container with high sides. For this purpose, fit: basin, bucket, pan, plastic bottle with a cut throat. Please note that the cereal is prepared for germination in enamel or plastic containers, as the metal has the ability to oxidize and negatively affect the chemical composition of food.
- Liquid is poured at room temperature, but not higher than 50-60 ° C, if the material was kept warm. If it's cold, it's hot.
- Then put in a dark place and closed with a lid, a board.
The container is kept in a dry, warm and shaded place for at least 15 hours. No further action is required on wheat during this time.
Experienced farmers know several secrets that ensure the most successful and full-fledged wheat germination. Here are a few of them:
- Sprouts, 5-6 mm long can be cut and mix in the main food of the layers.
- Be sure to germinate in winter, because the birds at this time often without movement, and the digging of grains from the litter causes them to move.
- Grains, sprouted on the second time, have even more vitamins, than when first synthesized.
- Ascended material is stored for longtherefore it is best to treat the grain in small batches.
Rules for feeding chickens with wheat
There is no one-to-one advice on feeding the hens with wheat. Some farmers agree that it is only necessary to feed at night, some say that it should be fed during the daytime.
The best thing to feed chickens product in the evening, before bedtime. When this grain is poured directly on the litter. So nutrients are absorbed better.
At the same time, during the daytime the birds are more active and mobile, therefore some poultry farmers introduce grains into the diet in the first half of the day. Also, for obesity, chickens recommend feeding them not at night, but in the morning.
The video shows how to properly germinate grain for chickens.
Wheat Germination Tips
Feeding and sprouting wheat for birds is associated with certain norms, adhering to which you can ease the work and avoid many problems.
- Before you germinate wheat for chickens at home, it is important to prepare a convenient container. Tara before laying the grain must be absolutely clean. It is not only washed, but also doused with a weak solution of potassium permanganate. Otherwise, the grains may be affected by a fungus or any other sore, and they will become unusable.
- Water for pouring wheat should not be colder than +15 degrees, but not warm, but cool.
- The amount of soaked grain can be any. Given the benefits of this product - the more the better. On average, one individual per day accounts for 15–20 grams of grain, and, that is, 150–200 grams of wheat are needed for 10 heads. From these calculations, you can buy one or another amount.
Most nutrients in sprouts up to 3 mm, then the nutritional value is reduced
How to germinate oats or wheat for chickens
It is very easy to germinate grain, for this you need only the grain itself, clean water and the capacity in which soaking will take place. Stages of cooking:
- Find a suitable container for the volume, wash it with potassium permanganate.
- Pour the grain into it, pour cold water in the evening, so that it covers it 2 cm higher. Consumption of dry grain - 15-20 g per 1 individual.
- After 12 hours, drain the liquid: to do this, 2/3 of the soaked wheat or oats (or you can take their mixture in equal quantities) to fill up in a new clean bag, and after waiting for the water to drain, transfer it to a cool place, laying it on its side and distributing the grain evenly throughout its volume with a layer of no more than 5 cm (otherwise it will begin to heat and deteriorate). This grain chickens are fed in the next 2 days.
- The rest of the grain (1/3) is also poured into the bag, allowed to drain and placed in a warm place. In the evening it can be fed to the birds.
It is important to remember that it is impossible to germinate wheat or seeds of other cereals for more than 3 days. The optimal sprout length is only 3 mm.
Sprouted cereals, prepared for laying hens and the rest of the bird, can be given separately from other food, for example, they can be fed for 1 hour before turning off the lighting in the poultry house, sprinkling it directly into the litter. On average, 1 chicken will require 150-170 g of such supplements per day.
In conclusion, the video - how to germinate wheat for laying hens
What is good wheat germ
It is interesting to know that quite a large number of people have already appreciated the benefits of germinated grain, and therefore it is used in food and for people. For birds, grains with sprouts are important because they have an energy value. Green wheat germ contains nutrients in large quantities.
The daily distribution of wheat germ benefits feathery because:
- improves immunity
- accelerates metabolic processes, if they are slow,
- strengthens the bones of the skeleton and muscles,
- stabilizes egg production,
- eliminates problems in the digestive system,
- struggling with overweight chickens.
In dry grains there are complex fats and starch - these hens should break down themselves into the state of simple carbohydrates and fatty acids. This process is energy-intensive, and besides, the body is not always able to absorb all the substances that have entered it.
Germinated grains greatly facilitate the digestive process, so the bird will receive and process nutrients without any problems.
It is not only important. Wheat sprouts contain amino acids that beneficially affect the proper functioning of the body of the bird as a whole. Minerals help develop bones and muscles, and also affect the size of egg production. Vitamin complexes help strengthen the immune system and stabilize the egg-laying.
Subtleties of grain selection
Only high grade wheat can produce good sprouts. It is sold in specialized stores or country farms. When buying, be sure to check the quality of the grain, which should not contain impurities. The kernels should have a dark yellow shade or be brown.
Helpful advice. You can germinate not only wheat, but also other grains. A mixture of several varieties becomes very tasty and healthy feeding.
How to soak
Grain can be put in any container in such a way as to prevent water overflow. You can use:
- cut plastic bottles.
После того, как тара будет выбрана, ее необходимо залить водой. И тут есть несколько хитростей. Хранение зерна в теплых помещениях предполагает использование жидкости с температурой около 45 градусов. If the wheat was in a cold place, then hot water is used. Heat shock helps awaken the grains.
How much to withstand the wheat, and what to do next
After the grain is poured, the container is removed in a warm and dark place. Optionally, you can cover with a lid and leave for 15 hours.
As soon as the specified time has elapsed, the wheat is pulled out of the basin, the excess water is drained. In any place where there is no cold and drafts, it is necessary to spread oilcloth material and lay out the grain is not very thick. Otherwise, the process of decay may begin. Then you need a natural fabric that is wetted in warm water and serves as a coverlet for wheat.
When can be fed
After the above procedure, you need to leave the grain for 2 days, during which time the wheat will release sprouts. If you wish, you can wait another day, but this is not necessary. The product is ready to eat on day 3.
Wheat is not recommended to do immediately in large quantities due to the fact that such a grain does not have a long shelf life. It is best to take such a volume that it was enough for several feedings.
Chickens will be happy to eat germinated grain year-round. But if there is no possibility of frequent harvesting, it is recommended to give wheat in the winter and autumn, when the bird will be deficient in nutrients and vitamins.
Most poultry farmers came to the conclusion that it is better to give germinated grain in the evening (before the chickens are going to sleep). It is not necessary to use feeders, you can simply scatter on the litter material.
Why was this method chosen? The fact is that when the grain gets on the litter materials, the release of vitamin B group begins, as well as the stimulation of processes by which heat will be released from the litter.
In winter and autumn, the bird does not know what to do in the hen house, because the time for sleep has not yet come, and it has already become dark outside. Pursuing the search for grain, the bird will not only get an additional source of food, but also find a kind of entertainment.
While there will be a search for grain, the bird will independently begin to loosen the litter materials with the help of paws and beak. This helps prevent the onset of putrid processes inside and the accumulation of excess moisture. The greatest relevance of such work is in the winter, because the health of the livestock will depend on the indoor temperature and the percentage of humidity.
Both methods of feeding during the day and night hours have their positive sides. If it was described above, what are the advantages of scattering grain on litter materials, this does not mean that you need to use only this option.
Chickens will be happy to receive germinated grain in the daytime - at this time, the feedability of the feed becomes higher. The bird moves all the time, leads an active lifestyle, and therefore it will be very fast to feed the appetite.
If chickens are overweight, then it is much more useful for them to get nutritious grains during the daytime to avoid obesity.
The following table describes the advantages of both day and night feeding of the bird: