Against the backdrop of luxurious peaches, juicy pears and apples, plums seem to be a modest tree. But do not drain the variety Honey White. This tree attracts attention in the spring, during flowering, and in the summer, when it is covered with a harvest of amber fruits. In addition, the variety is absolutely not capricious and adapts well to various conditions.
Description of yellow plum varieties Honey white
At the word “plum”, happy childhood years, low trees growing in each yard, and blue or purple sweet-sour fruits immediately come up. But it turns out that there are many other varieties that differ in color and taste.
Plum variety Honey White belongs to the Ukrainian selection. Its author is the famous breeder L. I. Taranenko, and the place of birth is the Donetsk branch of the Institute of Horticulture UAAS.
The tree has a high growth from 5 to 7 m. There are not very many branches, and they form a sparse crown of a round or broad-pyramidal shape. Flower buds are laid on annual growths. Despite the small number of branches, plum Honey is very fruitful.
Flowering occurs a little earlier than other varieties, before the appearance of the leaves.
Honey fruits are often oval or round-pear-shaped. They can be called large - the mass of the fetus pulls up to 50 g. The dense skin of yellow color is covered with a white wax coating. During the period of ripeness on the sunny side, a top coat may appear as an orange blush.
The flesh is intense yellow, sometimes green-yellow, dense structure, juicy, with a pronounced aroma. The taste is very sweet, but is set off by a barely perceptible sourness. The finish is pleasant honey. The rounded shape of the bone has an average size and is difficult to separate from the pulp.
Honey White Plum is widely spread on the territory of Ukraine, the Central Black Earth region, central Russia and Moscow region. Even in the northern regions, the Honey fruits do not lose sweetness and yields do not decrease.
A distinctive feature of Honey Plum is its magnificent honey taste, unpretentiousness to environmental conditions and abundant fruiting. The variety also boasts excellent adaptability to almost any terrain.
How to choose the planting material?
The most crucial moment from which the planting process begins is the purchase of a sapling. Here are some tips to help you make the right choice.
- You need to buy seedlings from trusted vendors, and best of all in special nurseries. It sells only varietal trees - grafted or budded.
- First of all, pay attention to the root system. It should consist of several branches, not less than 25 cm long. The more powerful and thicker the roots, the better. Naturally, they should not be any damage.
- Look at the vaccination site. It should be completely covered with bark and have a slight bend. The vaccination site is 10 centimeters higher than the intended landing level.
- The bark of the trunk should be elastic, without damage. The height of the trunk is about 50 cm, the thickness is not less than 2.5 cm. In addition to 3-5 branches, up to 60 cm long, the seedling should have a central conductor.
- The best survival rate have 2-year-old seedlings.
When transporting a young tree need to protect the roots from drying out. To do this, they are wrapped with a damp cloth and put on the package.
The choice of location is of great importance for the normal development of the plum tree. Still, despite the stated cold resistance, plum gentle and thermophilic plant. Therefore, for planting you need to choose the most lit place, without shading - the plum does not like the shadow. The direction of the plot is south or southwest. Also, seedlings must be protected from the cold winds prevailing in the winter, and drafts. Located close to the building and fences are not welcome - they delay snow drifts, which can cause bark heating.
Since the plum is a honey white vigorous tree, this must also be taken into account when choosing a place. The nearest trees should be located no closer than 3, and then 5 m.
The plot should be flat, it would be even better if the sink turned out to be planted on a small hill. This will avoid flooding in the rainy period and after the massive melting of snow. Groundwater should be at a level of 1.5 - 2 m from the soil surface.
To soils, plum tree is demanding. Fertile, moisture-conducting lands are suitable for it - loamy and sod-podzolic. It grows well on drained peatlands, but liming is always carried out on them before planting.
On stony, acidic and marshy soils plum will not grow.
The landing of the Honey White plum is traditionally carried out in pre-prepared landing pits. For spring planting, work begins in the fall, before the onset of frost. For autumn planting - 2 weeks before the proposed procedure.
Landing pit preparation
- The soil is dug up and released from plant residues.
- The dimensions of the pit on fertile soils are 60 cm in depth and 70 in width. On heavy and flooded soils, the dimensions increase by about 30-40 cm, and a drainage layer of broken brick and coarse sand must be laid at the base of the pit.
- The postponed fertile soil layer is mixed with 15 kg of compost or 10 kg of rotted manure, 500 g of superphosphate and wood ash are added each (it can be replaced with 60 g of potassium sulfate). In acidic soil add 300 g of dolomite flour or hydrated lime.
- The finished soil mixture is poured into a hole and poured over 2 buckets of water. In the subsequent period, the earth acquires the necessary structure and will not sink after landing.
Stepwise landing process
- Before planting, the roots of the plum are dipped in a talker from the ground, which is sour cream in consistency. This protects the roots from drying out.
- Soil mixture in the pit rake in the form of a cone. From the north side they drive in a stake, the height of which should not exceed the height of the trunk.
- The root system is neatly placed on the sides of the hill, directing the ends down. Fill up with the earth, not containing fertilizers. Lightly tamped.
- A watering hole is made around the sapling and 2 to 3 buckets of water are poured into it.
- After the precipitation of the soil, the root neck should be 3–5 cm above the soil level. If the earth has slipped too much, then it is filled to the desired level.
- The seedling is tied to a support with a soft rope.
Landing dates are directly dependent on the climatic conditions of the region. In southern areas it is best to plant in the fall. October is the most suitable month, before the onset of frost, the White Honey plum will have time to take root and adapt. In middle latitudes spring planting is preferable. In the middle or end of April, the weather sets in, favorable for a successful process. During the growing season, the seedling will finally get stronger and calmly survive the winter period.
Honey White Plum Care
A healthy, well-groomed plum will always please with a generous harvest and will not take a lot of trouble.
The procedures associated with the formation of the crown, carried out on the second post-planting year. Conduct pruning in early spring - in late March, early April. It will take 5 years to form a plum long crown.
- From 5 to 7 well developed branches are left as the basis. They should be at an angle of 45 - 50 from the trunk. Incorrect tilt angle corrected with ropes. The branch is tilted at the desired angle and fixed with a rope.
- The lower tier is 3 branches. Further, each tier consists of 2 branches located at a different level.
- The branches of the base should be directed in different directions and be at a distance of 20 cm from each other.
Further care consists of the following types of trimming:
- Thinning. Removed upward shoots and extra branches.
- Shortening. The gains of last year are shortened so that the next year young fruit branches will develop.
Pruning is done with a sharp garden pruner. Cut places are treated with garden pitch.
Practical tips on pruning pruning - video
Since Honey White is samobesplodna, you need to worry about pollinators, which can be varieties Early Hungarian, Hungarian Donetsk, Renklod Karbysheva. When planting several trees, the distance between them should be at least 5 m.