The history of pumpkin has more than 7 thousand years, and culture came to Europe from America in the 16th century. Fell in love with a pleasant sweetish taste, unpretentiousness, the ability for a long time (up to 6 months) to be stored in normal conditions and at the same time preserve taste and healthy qualities. Pumpkin pulp Candy contains a lot of useful minerals, vitamins, and pumpkin seeds - a unique product in its chemical composition and benefits to the body.
Description of pumpkin varieties Sweetie
Candy is a selection variety intended for cultivation in large areas of the non-black-earth zone of Russia.
The most important distinctive feature of the fruit - very high sugar content. It is widely cultivated both for industrial production of juices and baby food, and in household plots, summer residences. Used for cooking first and second courses, sweet desserts and pastries.
According to the description, in mature form, it acquires a beautiful bright orange color, the bark is divided into segments, very dense, due to which it is stored for a long time, easily transported. The flesh is thick, juicy, sugary, red, soft and very sweet.The pulp varieties are very sweet, and the skin has a hardness
Pumpkin Sweetie refers to large middle-ripening varieties. Scourge grows up to one and a half meters in length, 6-8 ovaries are formed on them. The plant is unpretentious, but with good agricultural technology can achieve very high performance.
- High yield. On lashes grows from 6 to 8 fruits, the average weight of which is 1.5-3.0 kg, but there are cases when pumpkins grow to 20, 50 and even 100 kg.
- The nutritional value. Candy contains up to 20% of dry matter, 8% of sugar, large amounts of ascorbic acid and carotene.
- Meaty flesh. She filled almost the entire cavity of the pumpkin. The seed nest is small, the seeds are large, have excellent taste.
With long-term storage, the fruit ripens, the flesh becomes even softer, sweeter and tastier. The variety is considered to be cold-resistant, so it is grown in various regions.The time from germination to harvest is about 120 days
Preparing the soil
Any pumpkin variety, and especially as fruitful as Yum, loves light loamy soil, well flavored with organic matter (humus or compost - 1 bucket per 1 sq. m). Before sowing, they dig up the ground well, adding organic fertilizer.
If the soil is not fertile enough, 50 g of superphosphate and 1-2 glasses of ash are added to each well.
In warm climatic conditions, where the earth warms up quite early, Candy can be planted as seeds in open ground. In colder conditions, with the late onset of spring, it is better to sprout seedlings in advance.
For planting material are selected especially high-quality, large and full grains.Pumpkin seeds Sweetie
First they are checked for germination: the selected seeds are wrapped in a damp cloth and cleaned for a day in a warm place. Seeds with the best germination rate during this time have time to hatch. Then they are hardened and placed in a refrigerator for several days.
Planting seeds for seedlings
For seedlings, seeds are planted in a separate container, or in wooden boxes, in the prepared soil. Sawdust should be poured into the boxes as drainage, so that when transplanting to a permanent place, the root system is not damaged.
Tara is better to take no bottom and set on pallets. During the landing in open ground, it will be possible to lower the seedlings directly into the hole with a cup, avoiding injury to the roots.
Sowing seeds produce approximately 22-24 days before disembarking to a permanent place (taking into account the local climatic peculiarities of the region) + 5 days for shoot, following the following rules:
- pumpkin seeds are embedded at a depth of 3-4 cm, filled with soil, slightly moistened,
- in the box, the distance between the grains must be at least 5x5 cm,
- the container is covered with a transparent film and put in a well-lit warm place until the first shoots appear, then the film is removed,
- with the appearance of 2-3 true leaves, seedlings are planted in open ground, the temperature of which by this time should be at least 13 degrees.
Planting seeds directly into the ground
The earth is already warming up, the shoots are not threatened by frost. In the prepared soil make the hole, moisturize them and put in each 3-4 grains to a depth of about 8 cm.
After the seeds have sprouted, 1 sprout should be left in each well, and the rest should not be pulled out, but carefully cut. This is done because the root system of seedlings is rapidly developing and intertwining with each other, therefore, the shoots are cut to avoid damaging the root of the remaining shoot.
Pumpkin loves free, warm, well-lit and sun-warmed places. Planted in a permanent place need at the rate of 1 plant per 1 sq. M.
Care and feeding
Plants develop very quickly, so the main care - loosening the soil, weeding, feeding, removing weeds - is carried out before the pumpkin leaves close together.
Pumpkin responds very well to top dressing chicken litter or mulleindiluted with water in a ratio of 1:20 and 1:10, respectively.To obtain large-sized fruits, the lash is clamped, leaving the necessary number of ovaries.
Watered plants with warm water - 20-22 degrees. To obtain large-sized fruits, the lash is clamped, leaving the necessary number of ovaries.
Pumpkin diseases and their prevention
Pumpkin Sweetie, like all pumpkin crops, are prone to diseases:
- white rot,
- root rot,
- powdery mildew.
Affected plants must be treated with appropriate preparations and the basic rule for the prevention of various diseases must be observed. crop rotation. For pumpkin, it is 3-4 years.
Pumpkin Sweetie - a tasty, healthy, unpretentious, easily cultivated vegetable. Excellent taste with low calorie content and weight of nutrients in the composition make it a very popular product in the diet and baby food. That is why the sweet Yummy is the favorite of many gardeners.
Variety of pumpkin varieties
- External features: the size of the lash and leaf cutting (short, medium, long), the shape of the leaves and fruits, the size and color of the fruit, the thickness and consistency of the bark and pulp, the appearance of the seeds.
- Economic qualities: precociousness, yield, shelf life, resistance to adverse factors.
- Tastes: sweetness and consistency of the pulp, the size of the seed nest, the presence or absence of a shell in the seeds.
According to external signs
Varieties of pumpkins are divided into bush (compact) plants and types that require medium or large area, depending on the branching and the length of the lashes. Bush varieties (Amazon, Freckle, Smile, Gribovskaya bush) - the best option for a small area.
The most common in the garden areas pumpkin with an average length of whips, for example, Altai, Sweetie, Medical, Russian. Long varieties: Volga gray, Winter sweet, Dawn, Almond, 100 pound.
Pumpkin grade Candy
By cold resistance
When choosing a variety, it should be borne in mind that the temperature-demanding pumpkins can be grown using the greenhouse method and / or through seedlings. Medium Cold Resistant Varieties (Adagio, Golosemyanka, Danae, Sweetie), and later (Atlant, 100 pound) ripeness in regions with a short warm period requires the application of a seedling method.
Cold resistance varieties:
- For northern latitudes: Adagio, Altai, Medical.
- For temperate climate: Freckles, Gribovskaya bush, Russian woman, Smile.
- Heat loving: Amazon, Volga gray, Gribov winter, Kroshka.
Among the pumpkins there are many universal varieties with good taste and fodder qualities: Altai, Vitamin, Volga gray, Gribovskaya bush, Premiere 9608060, Russian, Stountovaya, Centner.
Dining varieties: Baby, Sweetie, Healing, Gribovskaya winter, Smile.
Feed varieties: Large-fruited 1, Record, Titan.
The way in which pumpkin pulp is consumed depends on the variety. Many table pumpkins (Adagio, Medical, Russian, Smile) are universal and suitable for making juice, cereals, dietary baby food, salads, etc. For the stuffing, choose varieties with fruits of small size, for example, Sweetmeat - convenient option for one-time (portion) use. There are special varieties recommended for baby and diet food, juice preparation: Amazon, Dawn, Muscat Vitamin, Almond, Children's Delicacy.
Varieties of large pumpkins
Large pumpkins differ in a variety of varieties, including popular breeding products.
Pumpkin variety Russian woman
Early ripe varieties (fruit weight, ripening, storage, subject to conditions):
- Therapeutic (3-5 kg, 95-105 days, all winter, sometimes until early May). Resistant to low temperatures and diseases, suitable for cultivation in the Urals and Siberia, as it withstands the volatility of the summer climate (up to -2⁰C). Fruits are flattened, gray-green tint.
- Russian woman (up to 20 kg, 90-100 days, the fruits sustained until December — January become juicier). Cold-resistant, suitable for cultivation in the central regions of the Russian Federation, as well as in Siberia. Fruits are bright orange, resemble a top.
- Smile (1-3 kg, 85 days, until January at room temperature). Universal grade for a temperate climate. Fruits are medium-sized, bright orange, striped. Sometimes the variety is referred to as hard-tailed pumpkins.
- Amazon (1-1.5 kg, 80-100 days, 120-130 days). Heat-loving, in cold areas grown through seedlings. Fruits are orange, slightly flattened, with light stripes.
Pumpkin grade Volga gray
- Volga gray (up to 10 kg, sometimes more, 100-120 days, long storage). Drought-resistant, well cultivated in the Black Soil Zone. This variety is considered the standard of taste due to the sweetness and juiciness of the fruit pulp. Fruits are gray and slightly flattened.
- Sweetie (1.2-2 kg, 115-138 days, stored until dry in aired premises until January). Suitable for cultivation in the non-black earth zone, but prefers light soils. In cold climates it is grown through seedlings. Fruits are red-orange, one of the sweetest.
- Baby (1-3 kg, 90-120 days, storage for more than 6 months. With improved taste). The size of the fruit decreases sharply with insufficient watering, a good variety for the zone of the Lower Volga. Fruits are light, slightly flattened.
Late ripe variety:
Gribovskaya winter (3-4 kg, 130-145 days, can be stored for more than a year at 10-12⁰C). For the southern regions, it is resistant to typical pumpkin diseases. Fruits are light, oblate with small segmentation.
Varieties of nutmeg pumpkins
The choice of nutmeg pumpkins is limited to three heat-loving varieties (fruit weight, ripening time): Vitamin (up to 7 kg, 128 days), Pearl (up to 7.5 kg, 105 days), Prikubanskaya (up to 4 kg, 115 days).
The peculiarity of the nutmeg fruits is the yield of taste on the peak level during storage, therefore this pumpkin is also called “winter”. Early harvested fruit, during storage ripen.
Varieties of hardened pumpkins
Varieties (fruit weight):
- Adagio (2.5-3 kg). Mid-season, suitable for northern areas. Fruits in the form of turban, the concentration of carotene in the pulp is higher than in carrots.
- Freckle (0.6-3 kg). Early ripe, suitable for cultivation in the Far East. Fruits are yellow-green color, pulp with pear aroma.
- Gribovskaya bush (up to 4.8 kg). Early ripe, suitable for temperate latitudes, often grown by seedling. Fruits are cylindrical, orange colored with green stripes.
Pumpkin variety Golosemyannaya
Hardcore pumpkins include a special group of varieties that are united by the absence of dense skin on the seeds that are eaten (fruit weight): Juno (3-4 kg) - early, Golosemyannaya (3-4 kg) and Danaya (5-7 kg) - mid-season. Varieties are suitable for growing in temperate latitudes.
Thus, a variety of pumpkin varieties allows you to experiment with planting these plants. When choosing a thermophilic variety, it is necessary to ensure close to optimal conditions. We wish you success in growing pumpkins!