- How to deal with wasps in the vineyard
- Wasp Trap
- How to protect grapes from wasps: the most effective methods
Winegrowers know what damage a wasp can cause. After the invasion of these insects, crop losses are always great. Especially the assets of the wasp at the time when the grapes begin to ripen, and if you do not fight them, it threatens to lose most of it.
Traditional ways of dealing with wasps
The most popular method of destroying wasps is to hang plastic bottles with a bait on them. These traps are made as follows: the top of the bottle is cut and inserted into the container so that a funnel is formed. At the bottom of the bottle pour syrup from sugar, honey, jam, spread the slices of apples or melons. Attracted by the scent of bait insect flies into the bottle, and can not leave it. This method of catching wasps is inconvenient because it requires regular cleaning of traps.
A more effective method of dealing with wasps is the destruction of their nests. This method is used by all, without exception, winegrowers, but its difficulty is that it is not always possible to get to these houses. Insects often construct them in inaccessible places. In addition, it is necessary to be able to destroy nests, otherwise there is a great risk of being cruelly bitten by wasps.
Therefore, it is better to use the following method of extermination of pests: prepare a sweet syrup, pour it into a plastic bottle, install a spray bottle on its neck and spray the plants that grow near the grapes, but not the vines themselves and the clusters. The most important thing - do not forget to add insecticide to the bait. The wasps, having tasted such food, will surely die.
If it is not possible to spray nearby plants, you can proceed as follows. In the habitats of wasps, it is necessary to hang traps from half-cut plastic bottles to which a wire or rope is attached. Poisoned syrup is poured at the bottom of the tank. Acts as effectively as spraying.
As a poison, you can use the drug "Aktara" or any other insecticide designed to combat the caterpillars on fruit trees. Experienced winegrowers insert several thin rods into the walls of plastic containers. With their help, wasps are easier to get to the bottom of the trap. There is no need to clean the traps, as the wasps, having had their fill, leave them and die in another place.
Fighting wasps with "liquid smoke"
Means for smoking fish and meat products very effectively deter pests. If the vineyard is regularly fumigated with “liquid smoke,” insects will begin to avoid this place. Smoke does not harm plants and fruits, it does not settle on them, and does not penetrate into the structure of the berry. For fumigation, choose windless dry weather. This method is time consuming, but not too costly and very effective.
You can save grapes from wasps and bees before they appear on the site in large quantities. It is necessary to carefully examine the area for the presence of nests. Earthen wasps are poured with boiling water, doused with combustible substances, set on fire. If the nest is located under the roof of the outbuildings, in the attic, it is easier to drown. They collect a bucket of water, gently approach the aspen house, quickly dip it into the water.
Ordinary plastic bottles from drinks will help protect the grapes from wasps. The process of making a trap does not take much time, does not require special skills. From one dozen individuals to hundreds are caught in one trap per day.
- The neck of the bottle is cut off, turned over in the form of a watering can.
- Fixed with scotch tape, adhesive tape, stapler.
- Inside is placed bait for wasps. Insects like fruit, sugar syrup, honey, jam, lemonade, kvass, beer.
- Hang traps for wasps in the vineyard throughout the site.
The method does not provide 100% protection, but it significantly reduces the extent of the damage to the berries and prevents them from attacking en masse.
In the finished form sell sticky traps for insects. They have bright colors to attract pests, impressive size. You can make yourself at home, where as a base using a sheet of plywood, plastic, oilcloth. Above put a thick layer of non-drying glue. Hang on the site.
If wasps eat grapes already at the stage of ripening, you can protect the berries with the help of special nets. The method is great for small areas where the number of bushes does not exceed 5 pieces. Brushes of grapes immersed in a transparent grid, tighten the lace on top. Such uniforms do not interfere with the ripening of the crop, do not allow pests. The main disadvantage of the method is complexity. It is necessary to seal every bunch of grapes. The nets protect against wasps and birds.
To protect the grapes from wasps during its ripening, you need to know what they are afraid of. This can be done with strong odor products. The advantage of the method is availability, absolute security. Lack - in the minimum period of validity. Protection remains as long as fragrance is present.
- Vinegar from wasps use grape, apple, table. To prepare the solution in 1 liter of cold water, add 100 ml of vinegar. Splash the grapes should be early in the morning.
- Soda from wasps is used during the ripening period of the berries, when chemical protection is prohibited. Soda solution increases the sugar content of berries, prevents the formation of rot, promotes healing of berries after punctures with insect proboscis, helps to discard wasps. At 10 liters of cold water will need 5 tbsp. tablespoons of baking soda, 20 ml of liquid laundry soap. To process grapes from wasps it is necessary in the evening or early in the morning.
- Liquid smoke, which is used for smoking fish, meat, will help scare away wasps from grapes. Soak the soil. The action continues until there is a smell.
The scare method can be combined with other methods of struggle to increase efficiency. If wasps are beating grapes, act immediately. A small colony of pests for several days can ruin a small vineyard. It is allowed to spray the solution at any period of cultivation.
Chemistry against insects
The grape harvest is saved with special insecticidal preparations, poisonous baits. Timely processing protects berries from wasps and flies, many other pests.
It is allowed to apply chemistry directly to the processing of berries if there is more than 20 days left before the harvest. Before eating it is necessary to thoroughly wash the clusters. Poison mixed with bait, placed in the vineyard not on the berries, can be used during any period of the growing season of the plant.
One of the proven means of folk "medicine" is the use of boric acid. The product is sold in a pharmacy in the form of white crystalline powder. It has intestinal effects. The action begins after getting into the stomach. Causes muscle paralysis, death. The proportions of boric acid from wasps should be such as not to interrupt the taste of the bait.
To prepare the solution, you need to dissolve a bag of boric acid - 10 g in 1 l of cold water. Stir until the crystals completely dissolve. The finished product has no smell, with the right combination with the bait does not change the taste of food. In each bait add 1 tbsp. spoon of poison solution.
As an additional ingredient, acidic jam, juice, lemonade, kvass, beer, honey, and sugar syrup are used.
Preparations for the vineyard from wasps are recommended to be used without smell, so that the persistent aroma does not deter pests. The goal in this case is to kill, not to drive away. If the wasps attacked the grapes, continue to pest, treat the clusters with a solution of insecticides, diluted in accordance with the instructions.
The solution is prepared immediately before use. The maximum effect lasts 4 hours, the residual effect is from 14 to 30 days. Initially, the poison acts by contact. Insects die within 5-15 minutes from muscle paralysis. Then the poison is absorbed by the tissues, killing pests in the process of feeding.
If wasps eat grapes, the culture should be processed with modern, effective, odorless insecticidal drugs - Lambda Zone, Geth, Delta Zone. Sold in the form of a concentrate. When working with drugs, rubber gloves, a protective suit, a respirator should be used.
The finished solution is also mixed into the bait, poured into a saucer, placed in a vineyard. When using poison, you must comply with measures of their own safety, environment. Do not allow the death of beneficial insects, birds, animals. Drugs are deadly to bees, do not apply during flowering.
Tips for fighting wasps from experienced professionals
To get rid of pests on their own site, to protect the berries from damage, the growers advise the following:
- Destroy the nests in the fall or early spring.
- Significantly reduce the number of pests homemade traps from plastic bottles, adhesive fabrics.
- As a bait in the spring, early summer is better to use protein foods - meat, fish. Wasps produce food for their growing larvae, which need large amounts of protein. Products sprinkled with boric acid or watered with a solution of insecticides.
- The solution of baking soda with soap and water can protect against the attack of the berry. The tool enters the body with a bite, repels bitter aftertaste. In the stomach, soda causes increased gas formation, which is dangerous for insects by death. Spraying is carried out at any stage of the growing season. You can spray the solution using a household spray bottle, spray bottle.
To increase the effectiveness of each method, it is recommended to combine several methods of struggle at once. For small vineyards, a net that will not allow to reach the berries of wasps, flies, birds, and other pests will provide reliable protection.
How to deal with wasps on grapes?