If they have everything in order, then an enviable appetite stimulates them to constantly chew something.
Rabbits grow well, their hair becomes velvety and thick.
The excitement is caused by those pets who have become suddenly lazy and apathetic, eat and drink well, but do not frolic and do not develop.
The causes of such changes can be worms that infected the animal. How to diagnose pests, how to cope with them, and whether there are preventive measures - let's understand.
What are dangerous worms for rabbits
In a standard setting, helminth eggs can be viable for a long time. After they enter the body, the most favorable conditions are formed for them, and the eggs quickly develop into worms, which soon begin to lay their larvae. The fact that parasites weaken the animal will not be news to anyone. But if the rabbit, in addition, picked up any infection, the worms become even more lively, and the consequences of their activities may be irreversible. Parasites corrode the walls of the stomach and intestines and literally allow infection in the circulatory system.
In fact, this is already a dangerous situation, and therapy may no longer have the expected effect.
How does the infection occur?
Rabbits can become infected with twenty species of parasites, mainly round, tapeworms (cestodes) and helminths.
The most vulnerable are pets who are kept in unhygienic conditions:
- ground cover
- lack of ventilation
- infrequent cleaning of the room
- open access of different animals or birds.
But to say that the worms (worms) are infected only with unsanitary conditions, it is impossible. Of course, cleanliness in the rooms where rabbits are kept is important, but in this case does not play a major role. Eggs of parasitic worms can be ingested by animals at the same time as food, the most dangerous of which is hay.
How to recognize the symptoms
The complexity of the treatment of worms is that they are difficult to determine. Some believe that the presence of parasites shows feces with their eggs, but it is - an unreliable method, because the larvae leave the body already during the reproduction of worms.
In addition to observing feces, it is possible to reveal the appearance of parasites in other, more correct ways. For surgical intervention and more effective treatment, the owner must constantly monitor the condition of their pets.
So, the presence of worms is indicated by the following symptoms:
- rabbits have an excellent appetite, eat well, but gain little weight,
- infected pets are constantly suffering from thirst,
- rabbits lose weight quickly
- molting in animals lasts longer, with wool crawling out in large tufts,
- rabbits become apathetic and lie most of the time,
- for several days, watery or too dry feces are observed,
- feces visible greenish discharge,
- anus reddened and constantly itchy.
With the rapid spread of worms in the body, they can be detected in the feces, but this requires certain tests. The difficulty is that the larvae of the worms are not always present in the feces. Surrender strokes are performed several times over a period of three days without a break.
More accurate results are obtained from blood tests. If the rabbits are infected, the composition of the blood changes. It reveals a large number of antibodies that fight parasites. The meat of diseased rabbits cannot be eaten, but treatment should begin immediately.
Treatment of folk remedies
Some owners prefer to use traditional medicine. It is believed that such drugs not only provide an opportunity to save money, but also act more easily on the body. The most famous are the following recipes:
- pumpkin seeds. 200 ml of seeds ground to gruel are mixed with honey (1: 1) and pour soda (1 teaspoon per 400 ml of mixture). The resulting composition insist 10 days in a glass container. You can give both separately and mixing with food,
- sagebrush. The most famous anthelmintic plant. It is actively used not only in traditional medicine, but also in the pharmaceutical industry. The herb is effective in getting rid of ascaris, pinworms and other roundworms. Fresh grass is given to rabbits, starting from the spring period and ending in the fall, and in the summer period it is dried for the winter. In adult animals, wormwood should be 1/3 of the feed, young animals need only 1/ or 1/5 of the feed,
- tansy. Effective in getting rid of pinworms and ascaris. Used in fresh and dried form, adding to the main food. Due to the strong effect of the grass per day, one animal will suffice with 1-2 stems. It should be borne in mind that tansy has a strong astringent,
- needles. It is harvested only in winter after the establishment of a stable sub-zero temperature. During this period, in the needles, the concentration of essential oils, which can provoke intoxication in rabbits, decreases. The branches of spruce or pine give as a separate dish, and mixing with the main feed, and the rabbits will eat exactly the volume that they need. In addition to the anthelmintic effect, the needles contain many useful substances and will serve as an excellent vitamin supplement.
It is not recommended to collect grass near landfills, along roads or in industrial areas. This neighborhood helps plants accumulate harmful components that, when consumed, will enter the body of animals.
What to drink for prevention
After taking therapeutic measures, the owners should not relax. It is better to think about how to prevent re-infection of animals.
To do this, follow these guidelines:
- after the first signs of infection are detected, the rabbits should be examined by a veterinarian,
- in case of confirmation of the diagnosis, sick animals are isolated to prevent further spread of worms,
- regularly carry out disinfection measures: process litter, cages, animal care items with special means,
- rabbits can only pour clean water, you can not water pets from lakes, swamps or puddles,
- prevent stagnation in water
- process food thoroughly (root vegetables - rinse in hot water, do not give wet hay, etc.),
- feeders and drinkers should be protected from excrement,
- hay should not be harvested from grass collected in swampy areas,
- make sure that the cells do not lay damp hay - in such an environment, the larvae of parasites feel free and do not wash off.
All drugs are used for three days, then - 10 days break, and again a three-day course.
To maintain immunity during preventive measures, rabbits can be stabbed "Gamavit." Dosage - 2 ml for an adult pet, 0.5 ml - for baby rabbits.
Helminth infestation is not the most pleasant moment in the rabbit breeding. But, if the pets are given due attention and do not spare time to care for them, healthy individuals will be a real pride of the farm. Win and warn the parasites is easy.
Are there worms in rabbits: decorative and home
Domestic and ornamental rabbits can become infected with worms. Usually this happens when eating food. Most often, those rabbits that are kept on the dirt floor are sick.
If the animal has a strong immunity, a well-chosen diet, infection can be avoided - the eggs or larvae will be destroyed by the acidic environment of the stomach and the immune system.
But in small rabbits, in which the acidic environment has not yet had time to form, parasites often appear.
Worm sick craw
They destroy the already weak immunity. If there are a large number of worms, they can become tangled, block the intestines and lead to its rupture. In the course of their livelihoods, worms often injure both the intestines and other organs.
The most common parasites are:
Symptoms and how to identify parasites
It is possible to suspect helminthiasis by changing the behavior of the animal. Symptoms of infection are as follows:
- increased appetite or lack of it,
- weight loss,
- increased thirst
- active molt.
The most pronounced symptoms in young animals. A rabbit may refuse to eat, look lethargic, sit with a detached look, not resist if it is picked up.
In order to reliably determine the type of parasite, a blood test is performed. Feces can also be taken for analysis, but this method is not sufficiently reliable due to the fact that you can not catch the moment of reproduction of the parasite with the breeding of eggs. To see the parasites themselves or their eggs is all the more problematic.
Treatment of passalurosis (pinworms)
Do not feed the rabbits during the day. Then mix sulphate-piperazine into the feed. The dosage is 1.5 g of the drug per 1 kg of weight.
You can spend a long and more gentle treatment. Within 12 days, phenothiazine should be added to the feed at a dosage of 0.1 g per 1 kg of weight. For rabbit, you can use the suspension Shustrik or albendazole.
During treatment, the feces of animals need to burn. After the use of drugs to restore the intestinal microflora. For this, rabbits can be given probiotics.
Treatment of echinococcosis
Treatment should be comprehensive. The disease is treated with mebendazole at a dosage of 5 mg per 1 kg of weight, the course lasts 5 days. You can use fenbendazol single dose at a dosage of 10 mg per 1 kg of weight or thiabendazole for 3 days at a dosage of 75 mg per 1 kg of weight. Suspension Shustrik is also effective, kills eggs and larvae.
Tips from our readers
I got rid of parasites in just a week! I was helped by a cheap natural remedy, which I learned from an interview with a parasitologist.
Only preventive rabbits that are older than 3 weeks, as well as adult rabbits, can be given medicines for prophylaxis. It is important to degelmentize before pregnancy, because the parasites are transmitted to the fetus. The interval between anthelmintic and vaccination should be at least 2 weeks.
Feed must be harvested from reliable sources, it is impossible to mow the grass in the marshland and in the meadows where hares are found. Dogs should not be kept near rabbits. They need to be put on a chain and regularly carry out the prevention of helminth infections with drugs.
Care should be taken when handling infected rabbits, because some types of worms are dangerous to humans.
Helminth infections cause damage to farms, as well as undermine the health of ornamental rabbits. They are dangerous for young animals with weak and unformed immunity.
The treatment is carried out with various drugs, selected depending on the causative agent of the disease. It is possible to determine the type of helminthiasis by analysis. To prevent infection, it is necessary to observe preventive measures: carefully monitor the conditions of detention, carry out disinfection, isolate rabbits from other animals, and conduct preventive treatment courses.
Defeating the parasites is possible!
Tibetan parasite collection - healing and safe herbal collection from parasites for children and adults!
Herbal harvest showed amazing results: every second person who took an infusion for 20 days got rid of parasites. In less than three weeks, people forgot about overwork, annoying headache and fatigue, problems with intestines, sleep and appetite.