The content of the article
Hawthorn berries - benefit and harm, how to take
In our country you can find about 40 species of this medicinal plant. The sweet and sour hawthorn berry with powdery pulp does not differ in its wonderful taste, but as part of an enormous amount of substances that are beneficial to human health, they are recognized as traditional and traditional medicine and are used in cooking.Berries of large-fruited hawthorn variety
Cultivated large-fruited hawthorn varieties, which are grown in home gardens, summer cottages, contain slightly less healing substances than wild species. But they certainly benefit health.
Depending on the species, varieties of ripe berries hawthorn has blood-red, orange, yellow, brownish, and even black. The plant can be found everywhere: in forests, ravines, squares, parks, along the banks of reservoirs. It is not difficult to prepare medicinal berries for the winter, read:
The benefits of hawthorn berries for the body is determined by their chemical composition. They contain:
- Vitamins - A, C, E, beta-carotene.
- Trace elements - potassium, zinc, calcium, copper, magnesium, manganese, iron.
- Flavonoids (hyperoside, quercitrin, vitexin, quercetin). These plant substances have antioxidant properties, reduce capillary permeability, retain their elasticity, prevent violations of cerebral circulation, the development of tumors, cataracts.
- Organic acids (ursuloic, chlorogenic, oleanolic, coffee). They dilate blood vessels, lower blood pressure, improve the cardiovascular system, as well as normalize the liver and kidneys, have choleretic properties. In addition, they support the performance of the muscles, have wound-healing, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory properties.
- Pectin, tannins, sorbitol, natural sugars.
Hawthorn fruit, healing properties
Due to the truly unique composition, hawthorn fruits have pronounced healing properties. Their use is beneficial for the whole organism, as they are able to:
- Normalize heart rate and blood pressure.
- Reduce the risk of atherosclerosis, angina pectoris.
- Eliminate spasms of the coronary vessels and intestines.
- Rid of edema.
- To increase the body's resistance to infections.
- Strengthen immunity, suppress papillomaviruses and herpes viruses.
- Soothe the nerves, increase emotional stability.
- Regulate the amount of sugar in the blood.
- Stabilize the work of the organs of the endocrine system.
- To help in the treatment of inflammatory diseases of the liver, gallbladder.
- Reduce the number of migraine attacks, get rid of dizziness.
- Warn cold, flu.
Most appreciated hawthorn for the normalization of the heart and brain vessels. It is used in the treatment of: heart failure (of various forms) and myocardial infarction, hypertension, tachycardia and arrhythmias, as well as insomnia and nervous disorders.
Hawthorn - from what it helps and how to take
Caloric content of 100 g of ripe berries 59 kcal. Healing fruits are consumed fresh, mashed, stewed fruit, jams, preserves. Fresh and processed fruits will benefit adults, the elderly and children, but you must adhere to the daily rate - 150 grams. Fresh berries are best consumed after a meal, so that the fiber of raw pulp does not irritate the stomach wall.
For therapeutic purposes, hawthorn fruits are taken in the form of tea, infusion, decoction, alcohol tincture 30 minutes before meals.
Vitamin tea with hawthorn infusion
In the absence of contraindications such tea is useful to everyone. It will help replenish the body with vitamins, improve immunity, strengthen the heart, clean the intestines from toxins, improve memory, the ability to perceive information. Prepare so:
- Pour 1 sec. l dry fruits 1 tbsp. boiling water, wrap, insist 30 minutes, filter.
- Add 50 ml of infusion to each glass of regular green tea.
Drink 1 - 2 times a day.
Infusion is useful for insomnia, neurosis, arrhythmia, angina pectoris, tachycardia, atherosclerosis, a cold. Prepare the infusion in a thermos at the rate of 1 s. l dry fruits on 1 tbsp. boiling water. Insist about 3 hours. Take 2 seconds. l infusion three times a day for no more than 1 month. If necessary, repeat the treatment after 10 days.
Useful broth of berries
He is advised to take with neurosis, increased nerve loads, hypertension, atrial tachycardia, rheumatism, asthma, shortness of breath. Moreover, it relieves menopausal hot flashes. Recipe:
- A glass of hot water is poured 20 g of dry raw materials (in an enamel or glass saucepan). Heat on the water bath for 15 minutes, let it brew for about 1 hour, then filter, squeeze out the softened fruits.
- Top up with boiled water to the volume of the glass.
Take 1 s. l twice a day.
Hawthorn tincture - from what it helps and how to take it correctly
Tincture - the most popular medicine of hawthorn berries. It is much more effective than tea, infusion and decoction, because alcohol is a more effective extractant than water. In addition, alcohol enhances the healing properties, if the tincture is prepared correctly. Alcohol tincture is useful:
- to normalize cardiac activity
- with elevated cholesterol, atherosclerosis, hypertension, nervous disorders, insomnia, menopause,
- against stress, physical and mental surges, vascular spasms, migraine attacks, dizziness,
- as a general tonic, tonic, anti-aging agent,
- with diabetes, gastritis, thyroid problems, edema, allergies, rheumatism,
- as a prophylactic agent (it is recommended to take it without waiting for signs of disease).
Most effectively tincture helps with cardiac pathologies. The finished tincture, of course, you can buy at the pharmacy, but you can quite easily prepare at home. Do therapeutic tincture of dried fruit on alcohol, vodka or moonshine.
- Dry fruits pour 70% of medical alcohol (1:10 ratio), tightly closed.
- Insist 3 weeks in a dark place, filtered.
- 200 g of dry berries are poured with 1 liter of vodka or moonshine (strength 40 - 45%).
- Leave in the dark for 20-25 days at a temperature of 18-25 degrees. Once a week shaken.
- The finished tincture is filtered, squeezed berries, optionally filtered through cotton wool.
In a dark glass container at room temperature, the alcohol tincture does not lose its healing properties for up to 3 years.Dry berries and a glass of alcohol tincture
For therapeutic purposes, it is recommended to take three times a day 30 minutes before a meal: tincture of alcohol 30-40 drops each, tincture of vodka or moonshine 50-60 drops and a half cup of boiled water for 1 month. After 10 days break, you can repeat the reception.
For the prevention of heart and other diseases, it is advised to take half the dose of tincture.
Before taking the tincture, consult your doctor. Acceptance of this drug can cause harm in vegetative-vascular dystonia, bradycardia, and other acute heart diseases.
Who can harm hawthorn berries
However, despite the great usefulness, preparations of hawthorn berries have a number of contraindications. They can not be used:
- With individual intolerance.
- Pregnant and lactating women.
- Children up to 12 years. They have a strong effect on the heart and blood vessels, therefore, can be harmful to the pediatric incompletely formed cardiovascular system.
The damage can also be with low blood pressure, serious liver and kidney diseases.
Carefully recommend to take funds from hawthorn fruit to transport drivers, because they can cause drowsiness, reduced attention. It is also not recommended to eat more than 1 tbsp at a time. fresh fruits, because blood pressure can drop dramatically, heart rate is disturbed. Consequently, there will be weakness, dizziness, nausea, vomiting.
Knowing the benefits of hawthorn berry health, what it helps, how to do and take medications correctly, before starting the intake, always consult with your doctor to completely eliminate the risk of harm.
Useful properties for the human body
In nature, there are many species of hawthorn, they differ not only in growing conditions, but also in appearance. As part of flavonoids, giving the berries a rich red color and strengthen the walls of blood vessels:
- Quercetin is a flavonoid antioxidant, has cardioprotective properties, has anti-edema, antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory action, helps to prolong youth,
- Quercitrin is a natural antioxidant that is responsible for the regeneration processes that slow down the aging of the body,
- vitexin - dilates blood vessels
- Hyperoside - improves the condition of small vessels, tones the skin, helps the body in the fight against viruses.
Besides hawthorn berries, leaves are also useful.
The chemical composition of the plant is studied quite well. The benefits to the human body are determined by the following components:
- triterpenic acids (ursolic, crazegic) - lower blood pressure, increase sensitivity to the effects of drugs that are prescribed to heart patients,
- coffee - is an antioxidant, counteracts oxidative stress, protects cells from damage by free radicals,
- lemon - speeds up metabolism, prevents the formation of blood clots, removes slags and toxins, strengthens the immune system,
- Stearic - promotes the development of the nervous system.
What is useful hawthorn for the body:
- used to improve heart health through cardiotonic action,
- helps control lipid levels
- has a strong anti-allergic effect,
- improves memory and brain function
- helps prevent neurological problems.
As an additional tool for the treatment of chronic prostatitis in men use the beneficial properties of the plant, but a contraindication for its consumption is an increased risk or tendency to heart disease. Dried fruits of the plant are part of the medicinal herbs.
Despite the contraindications, the beneficial properties of the plant are important for women at the stage of hormonal adjustment, help to eliminate the symptoms of menopause. They help to normalize the condition, calm the nerves, make the manifestations of hormonal imbalance less noticeable and not so noticeable.
100 g of hawthorn berries contains:
- 90 mg of ascorbic acid,
- 2 mg tocopherol,
- 14 mg carotene
- 3 mg of vitamin K.
The composition of the berries: fructose, glucose, tannins to protect against inflammation, macronutrients (K, Ca, Fe, Mg) and trace elements (Cu, Zn). Fruits contain substances from the group of oligomeric proanthocyanidins. OPC are flavonoid complexes that protect the body from the negative effects of external and internal factors, help to normalize metabolism, prevent the development of cardiovascular pathologies.
Are there any contraindications for use?
Despite the large number of useful properties, hawthorn has some contraindications. It is better to refrain from the use of tinctures and herbal teas in such situations:
- during pregnancy,
- breastfeeding can have a negative effect on lactation,
- people suffering from hypotension,
- with arrhythmias,
- after brain injuries,
- with a history of liver and kidney diseases,
- if you are allergic to certain components.
When eating fresh berries, it is important to observe moderation, not to collect unripe fruits, so as not to provoke poisoning. Knowing the healing properties and contraindications of hawthorn, one can maximally direct them to improve their health.
What does hawthorn look like: tree or shrub?
Common hawthorn - looks like a small tree or a lush shrub with a dense neat crown of rounded shape, reaching 3.5 meters in height. Branches of brown-red, small textured leaves, red-medium-sized berries. The color of the bark gives a special effect to the plant: on the old trunks it is dark gray with cracks, and on the young - shiny, red-brown.
Distinctive features of the form: resistance to temperature extremes, frost resistance, longevity (can grow up to 400 years). During the flowering period, the plant is different decorative: its flat flowers reach 1.5-3 cm, have a delicate aroma.
Wild hawthorn bush
How the hawthorn plant looks like can be influenced by the conditions of the garden, giving it the desired shape by pruning. The peculiarity of the tree is that it can keep its shape for a long time, decorating the landscape. For the design of parks use different varieties: Almaty, Dzungarian, peristonadrezanny and others. Fruits of hawthorn peristonadrezhennogo unique - they are successfully used to treat joints.
Hawthorn tree blooms in May, the duration of flowering about two months. In place of flowers appear fruits that ripen in early autumn. They can be both round and elongated.
Hawthorn - unpretentious to the conditions of cultivation, if it appears in the garden among cultivated plants, it almost does not require care.
Increases or decreases pressure?
Hawthorn has a positive effect on the body, but before taking it is important to understand how it “works”, increases or decreases pressure. It has been scientifically established that hawthorn reduces the excitability of the central nervous system, reduces blood pressure, improves sleep quality, increases blood circulation in the vessels of the brain and the coronary system of the heart.
In medicine, the properties of medicinal hawthorn are used for increased pressure. Based on it, they prepare drugs, pharmaceutical drugs. The plant is a natural stimulant, has an antispasmodic effect, dilates blood vessels.
Taking any medication from hawthorn, it is important to correlate the benefits and possible harm, to follow the dosage exactly - exceeding the norms of use is fraught with negative consequences for the body. The use of natural remedies in combination with minimal exertion and adherence to healthy nutritional norms are often much more effective in supporting health than taking potent drugs.
Can there be harm from consumption?
Despite the benefits of hawthorn for humans, you can harm the body, if you exceed the dosage and use the product uncontrollably. People who prefer traditional medicine recipes should be aware of contraindications:
- interaction with drugs for the treatment of cardiac pathologies,
- planned surgery: hawthorn can affect blood clotting rates, increase the risk of bleeding during or after surgery,
- drivers and people who are important reaction speed is not recommended to use even a small amount of the product.
Hawthorn can cause such negative effects:
- disorder of the digestive system
- drowsiness or insomnia
Most people tolerate hawthorn berries and perceive its beneficial properties, but it is necessary to take into account contraindications. To exclude mistakes and troubles, it is better to consult with a doctor before use.
What helps and how to use?
In folk medicine, flowers, ripe fruits and young leaves are used. Knowing what hawthorn helps and how to apply it correctly, you can use it for treatment:
- diseases of the digestive system,
- states of increased anxiety and nervous irritability,
- high cholesterol
- atrial fibrillation
- shortness of breath
- neurosis of the esophagus.
Hawthorn is also used in dermatology for skin diseases, for the treatment of rashes.
Hawthorn fruits are composed of organic acids and natural antioxidants, which are valued for their complex effect in the treatment of heart disease. The combination of medicinal properties in combination with vitamin C makes the fruit a unique element in the treatment of such diseases:
Hawthorn is completely non-toxic, its fruits have a lot of useful properties, contraindications are such diseases: hypotension, bradycardia. The fruits ripen in late August or early autumn. Immediately after collection, they must be dried in an oven at 90 degrees, packed in cloth bags and stored in a dry place.
To prepare the infusion you need to take:
- 15 g dried berries
- glass of water.
Put everything in an enamel bowl, after boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Cool, strain, bring to the amount of 200 ml.
Пить по полстакана перед едой. Курс применения – 20 дней.
Боярышник отцветает очень быстро, иногда за 3-4 дня. Поэтому важно не пропустить благоприятный момент для сбора лекарственного сырья. Цветы боярышника содержат целый комплекс витаминов и множество полезных элементов:
- кофейную кислоту,
- витамин В4,
- oleanolic and chlorogenic acids,
- volatile with bactericidal and antifungal properties,
- flavonoids - help improve the functioning of the respiratory system.
It is important to properly prepare hawthorn flowers:
- collect at the beginning of flowering in dry weather (flowers collected wet, darken when dried),
- lay out to dry in a thin layer in the open air or under the roof,
- Store in a dry, dark place, protect from moths and other insects.
When collecting medicinal raw materials, it is important to ensure that thorns, visually similar to hawthorn, do not fall into it.
For the prevention of cardiovascular diseases, an infusion is prepared:
- 1 teaspoon dried flowers pour 200 ml. water and boil for 15 minutes
- strain from plant fragments,
- drink 100 ml (not more than 0.5 l per day).
Alcohol tincture of dried flowers for the normalization of high blood pressure:
- 150 g of dried flowers chop and pour 1000 ml of vodka,
- stand for 10 days, stir frequently and intensively
- strain through the paper filter and drink 1 tbsp. spoon before meals for 10 days, then take a break.
As a sedative when anxiety appears, it is recommended to brew tea from dried chamomile and hawthorn blossoms, taken in equal parts.
Despite its many beneficial properties, hawthorn flowers have contraindications. It is forbidden to use flowers of a plant to people suffering from pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract. High concentration can provoke vomiting, allergic reactions.
Hawthorn leaves have the same beneficial properties and contraindications for use as berries. Dried young leaves can be partially replaced in infusions, as they contain:
- nitrogen-free compounds - tannins, which give astringent taste,
- organic acids
- vitamins of groups C and B.
The exacerbation of any chronic diseases is a contraindication to the use of hawthorn decoction, the benefits of which are as follows:
- helps with diarrhea,
- reduces acidity
- normalizes sleep.
To prepare hawthorn leaves you need:
- start collecting before the flowering of the plant,
- select clean and intact leaves,
- trim the stalks
- dry like flowers.
Branch suitable for collection
For brewing a relaxing leaf tea, take:
- 1 teaspoon dried leaves,
- a pinch of any tea.
Pour boiling water, insist a few minutes, add water to reduce the concentration, drink with lemon and sugar to taste, you can add honey. This drink can be drunk in the fall to strengthen the body, as well as for therapeutic purposes. Decoction, infusion and tea from the hips.
Can women use during pregnancy?
The infusion of hawthorn is a proven remedy for sleep disorders that often haunt pregnant women. It helps to solve the problems of increased anxiety and heart rhythm disorders, but it is worth refraining from using it during pregnancy. The negative consequences of admission can be fainting due to a decrease in pressure. Excessive use without indications may cause termination of pregnancy.
The only possible product for pregnant women is compote, tea made from dried leaves or low-concentration fruit. Can be used as a component in baking. Slightly chopped berries, added to the flour, will give a unique fruity flavor to the liver or muffin.
Therapeutic tincture of hawthorn
Before cooking tinctures of dried fruit, they need to be washed and slightly soften the shell. You can chop the berries in a mortar.
To prepare the hawthorn tincture on alcohol you need to maintain this proportion:
- 100 g of dried fruit,
- a glass of vodka or alcohol.
Pour the berries with vodka, clog the container, soak for 20 days. Squeeze the berries and strain - the result is a yellowish-red transparent liquid.
Another method of use that allows the use of the beneficial properties of the berries:
- pour 200 g of dried berries with 1 liter of alcohol,
- insist 3 weeks, periodically shaking capacity,
- filter and squeeze out the remnants of raw materials, add honey, cinnamon, vanillin.
This tincture has not only a lot of useful properties, but also a pleasant taste.
Hawthorn is a plant of the Rosaceae family. This is a small tree or shrub. In the people this plant is called boyarka or the lady-tree. Fruits of hawthorn can be eaten. Meet hawthorn can be all over Russia. This plant has more than 50 species. Leaflets pointed bright green tint. Flowering plant in the period May-June. Small white flowers form lush inflorescences and produce a pleasant aroma.
The berries ripen in August. They are distinguished by bright scarlet color and a slightly sweet tart taste. Picking berries is not easy: there are many sharp spines on the branches.
Hawthorn: useful properties
The value of hawthorn is determined by its composition, rich in various useful elements:
- organic acids
It is important that valuable substances are contained in the whole plant, including fruits, leaves, flowers and even the bark of the plant. Back in the old days, when people did not know anything about the chemical composition, they actively used hawthorn in medicine, healing a number of diseases with its help.
A handful of plant fruits (100g) are able to provide the body:
- Beta Carantine (14g)
- vitamins A, C, E (230 mg, 90 mg., 2 mg).
In this case, the caloric content of the product is only 52 kcal.
The unique healing properties of hawthorn were particularly valuable during World War II, when the lack of some drugs was compensated for by hawthorn decoction.
For amazing healing properties, the ancient people often endowed hawthorn with magical signs. Modern man believes in science, which recommends hawthorn for healing and healing.
First of all, hawthorn tincture has a positive effect on the central nervous system and on the cardiovascular system. With its regular use, irritability is removed, anxiety and a person begins to fall asleep better.
Experts also recommend using this folk medicine for vegetative-vascular disorders, for cardioneurosis, for heart rhythm disturbances - arrhythmias.
Hawthorn tincture also has a positive effect on the walls of blood vessels, relaxing them, resulting in lowering blood pressure. If you start to use the tincture in the initial stages of hypertension, you can fully normalize the pressure.
If you turn to this tool at a later stage, then it will need to be combined with other drugs that lower the pressure.
Teas increase working capacity, regulate heart rate and pressure in vessels, positively affect the nervous system, lower cholesterol, normalize digestion. They are recommended for atherosclerosis, neurosis, vegetative-vascular dystonia, as well as in the postoperative period. For older people, drinking tea will help maintain vigor during the day and strengthen night sleep.
To do this, dry flowers, fruits, leaves and twigs can be brewed as regular tea. They can also be added to the brewing of green or black tea.
If you drink this tea for preventive reasons, it is important to remember that hawthorn in such collections should not dominate, but should not occupy more than ¼ of the volume. If you want to use teas for treatment, then hawthorn raw materials should constitute a large part of the tea collection.
Important! If you drink hawthorn preparations with cold and raw water, you may experience severe colic.
For it will need:
- 1 cup of dried hawthorn berries,
- 1 cup dried rosehip berries,
- 1.5 liters of boiling water
- dried fruits - to taste.
Tea is made like this:
- Wash dried fruits and berries.
- Pour the raw material into a thermos, pour boiling water.
- Insist the night.
- Filter out
It is necessary to drink such tea during the day on 1 glass 1 hour prior to food intake.
To make a soothing tea, you need the following ingredients:
- 2 tsp. dried crushed berries.
- 2 tsp. mint.
- 2 tsp. Ivan-tea.
- 200 ml of boiling water.
Tea is made like this:
- Crush the fruit in a mortar.
- Mix the crushed raw material with the herbal mixture and pour into the teapot.
- Pour the collection with boiling water and cover the kettle with a towel.
- Let stand 10-15 minutes.
- In warm tea, add 1 teaspoon of honey and drink before bedtime.
Did you know? From the hawthorn bark mined red dye for fabrics, and from the decoction of the roots, bark and leaves - brown and yellow.
Tea to improve digestion
- 1 teaspoon hawthorn fruit,
- 1 teaspoon rosehip berries,
- 1 teaspoon walnut dividers,
- 1 teaspoon (no slide) black tea,
- 1 liter of boiling water.
Tea is prepared in this way:
- Crush hawthorn and wild rose berries.
- Connect crushed mixture with walnut partitions and tea.
- Pour into enamelware and pour boiling water.
- Then cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Let the tea stand and strain.
Drink during the day before meals for 1 hour (or 3 hours after) 1 glass.
Five minute jam from hawthorn
Hawthorn jam helps prevent angina attacks. Just remember that eating this jam should be a little bit, because hawthorn has a strong therapeutic effect. So, experimentally, scientists found that the hawthorn jam socket eaten at one time is equal to twice the reception of a heart remedy (ie, 40 drops). Therefore, having received tasty and healthy jam from hawthorn fruit, do not get carried away with it. And now the recipe for making five-minute jam from hawthorn berries.
If you have hawthorn bush growing on the site, wash the ripe berries and remove the stalks, remove the bones (it is better to do all the work with rubber gloves, otherwise the hawthorn juice will turn your hands brown). Two parts of hawthorn berries will need one part of granulated sugar. Pour the prepared berries with sugar and leave for half an hour to give the berries juice. So that the berries in the jam resembled candied fruit in the syrup, remain whole and do not boil well, it is better to cook the jam in three stages (morning, evening, morning). Put the berries covered with sand (for example, in the morning) to boil on the smallest fire before boiling. As it boils, add heat to medium level and cook for another 5 minutes, while not forgetting to remove the foam.
Then turn off the heat and, covered with a lid, leave to cool the jam. After 8-12 hours, i.e. in the evening, put the jam on a small fire again and boil it for 5 minutes after boiling on medium heat. And then just leave to cool as during the first brew. After 8-12 hours or in the morning, repeat the same steps, then pour the still hot jam into sterile jars and close the lid. Remove jars of jam from hawthorn berries for storage in a cool place. You can eat jam from hawthorn fruit - half a tablespoon half an hour before meals 2-3 times a day, or an hour after meals.
Growing: planting and care
To grow hawthorn in the country you need to choose the right place and land for planting in open ground. First of all, it should be said that this plant is very fond of sunlight, so the area where the hawthorn will grow should be well lit by the sun. As for the soil, it should be fertile and without stagnant water.
Planting of a plant such as hawthorn in open ground can be carried out either in spring or in autumn. In the first case, the plant is planted after thawing and warming up the soil. But hawthorn is planted in autumn with the arrival of leaf fall and until the first frost.
To plant hawthorn in open ground, you must dig a hole about eighty centimeters wide and up to forty centimeters deep. After the seedlings are planted, they should be watered abundantly, and humus should be introduced into the ground.
As for the care of hawthorn, then we must regularly do weeding, feeding and watering seedlings. Soil needs loosening and mulching. It is also necessary to remove dry and broken branches. It is necessary to water a plant only once a month. If there is a severe drought, then the bush must be watered twice a month.
With the onset of cold weather, young saplings should be covered with sacking so that the branches do not freeze. In more mature age, it is not necessary to shelter hawthorn for the winter.
Propagate the fruit plant can be seeds and cuttings.
Planting hawthorn cuttings. To do this, you need to take only young shoots, which are cut at an angle of forty-five degrees. Plant cuttings in the ground, mixed with peat and sand. To root the plant, the soil should be thoroughly moistened.
Planting hawthorn seeds is one of the most difficult ways to grow this plant. First you need to remove all seeds from the immature fruits and drop them for a day in a one percent solution of potassium nitrate. After the seeds need to be folded in a dark box and carried to a cold room where the temperature will not exceed two degrees of heat. Stored for about eight months. Growing hawthorn from seeds is characterized by a rather slow growth of the plant. Saplings are planted in a permanent place when they are three years old.
Infusion of hawthorn
Regular healing infusion is prepared as follows - any parts of the hawthorn, fruits, flowers or leaves, pour boiling water and leave for about 2 to 3 hours. If desired, chamomile flowers can be added to the infusion. Use means 2 tablespoons per day on an empty stomach.
The simplest drink based on the fruit of the plant is fresh juice. All that is needed for its preparation is a sufficient amount of ripe berries and a juicer. If necessary, the berries can be squeezed out manually, carefully filtering them through gauze. Drink juice 3 times a day, but in total not more than 1.5 cups.
How to make hawthorn for the heart
Hawthorn based drinks are a proven and effective remedy for tachycardia and arrhythmia.
The classic "heart" infusion is prepared as follows:
- tablespoon of berries pour a glass of hot water, cover with a lid and leave to infuse for an hour,
- if desired, add other useful herbal preparations to the infusion - mint, chamomile or lemon balm,
- the finished drink is consumed 3 times a day, in volumes of no more than half a cup.
What can be cooked from hawthorn
Broths, infusions, juices and teas are not the only options for using plant berries. The fruits are actively used in cooking.
In particular, they are made of:
- jam, jam and jam,
- fruit drinks and fruit drinks,
- jelly and sweet marshmallow.
Often mashed plant berries are added to baking as a filling. Another popular dish is the so-called “raw” hawthorn jam. It differs from the usual in that the berries do not boil, but are simply ground with sugar in a 1: 2 ratio.
Benefit is contained in any dishes, the ingredient for which was a fruit plant. Of course, the concentration of valuable substances in jam, compotes or sweets is less than in fresh berries. But all these delicacies have a pleasant taste and help strengthen the body.
When to collect and how to store
Fresh fruits of the plant can be harvested on their own - good, the shrub grows throughout Russia.
- The best time to harvest is autumn, from September to October.
- Berries, picked from the bush, should be thoroughly washed in clean water, and then immediately used to prepare sweets or infusions - or dried.
- Dried hawthorn is most often in the oven at a low temperature of about 60 degrees, until the fruits shrivel and darken. Their advantage is fully preserved. Dried hawthorn can be stored for up to 2 years in the refrigerator.
As for the flowers of the plant, they are collected in the spring and exclusively in dry weather, preferring fully open inflorescences. Flowers are also dried, spreading them in a thin layer in a shaded place for several days. In dried form, the use of flowers lasts up to 1 year.
Contraindications and harm hawthorn
Basically for the body in the hawthorn concluded benefits. But sometimes the plant can go to harm.
Contraindications for the following:
- pregnancy and lactation,
- age less than 12 years
- severe cardiovascular diseases in acute form,
- hypotension - pressure hawthorn is good only for hypertensive patients.
Drinks from the plant can be consumed before meals, but it is not recommended to take them with a strong feeling of hunger - this will cause vomiting and abdominal pain. Fresh fruits should be eaten no more than 150 g per day.