"On an apple a day - and the doctor does not need" - says one of the sayings. And it is true. An Apple - a storehouse of vitamins and a favorite fruit of many people. No wonder that the first feeding of babies begins with a green apple.
What do you want sometimes in the winter to try fresh apple compote or treat yourself to apple pie. Is it possible to freeze apples in the freezer? And is there any benefit from frozen fruit? AND what secrets you need to know when freezing fresh apples?
Can I freeze apples for the winter? It often happens that autumn was rich in harvest, and there is a desire make a stock of fruit for the year ahead. But there is a danger that if improperly treated with cold, the fruit is simply spoil.
Do apples and pears freeze? Frost a few apples different from freezing berriestherefore, subject to all technologies, autumn fruits will be stored in the freezer for a year.
The most important thing is large freezerIn this case, the fruits will retain all the vitamins and nutrients to the full.
Is it possible to freeze apples in the freezer? With weak cooling ability it will not be possible to make the necessary preparations for a long time.
Frozen apples must be ripe, intact.
When freezing overripe, rotted fruit, it is likely that after thawing, they turn into unappetizing mashed potatoes. Preference should be given to apples recently harvested, because the less time has passed from the moment of harvest to processing, the better.
Is it possible to freeze apples for the winter? Which one benefit from them? Charlotte, apple pies, strudel, compote, various desserts and much more - all this will be available for cooking at any time of the year. Everything clean, eco-friendly and already sliced.
Can I freeze apples and pears for the winter and why? By the end of winter, many fresh fruits lose almost all the vitamins, so frozen fruits make it possible in the spring maintain immunity.
Ways of cutting
How best to freeze slices, whole apples or another way? You can freeze like whole fruitso and slices. It can even freeze apple sauce. When frozen in slices, apples are cut.
In this case, the shape can be any: slices, slices, pieces, circles. Removing the rind, stem and seeds is a matter of taste for every housewife. It all depends on the purpose for which the preparation is made.
If for pies and compotes - quite peel presence is acceptable, then for fruit sauces, casseroles and similar dishes it is better, of course, to do without peel.
Everyone knows this property of apples, as darkening after cutting, but this can be avoided.
Must be prepared in advance solution (1 liter of water + 5 g of citric acid).
After slicing, immerse the slices for no more than 20 minutes in this composition, which save them from darkening. You can freeze as soon as apples, and mix them with various berries and fruits.
How to freeze fresh apples at home? At what temperature can I freeze apples for winter? There are several ways to freeze: dry and so-called shock.
Dry - Fruits spread on trays and sent to the freezer. Temperature range not less than -23 ° C. 2-3 hours after freezing, the apples are laid out in a container. After that, frozen pieces can be stored already in a conventional freezer at a temperature of at least -18 ° C.
Shock freezing - This is an ultra-fast freezing of apples in bags. To do this, in the mode of operation of the freezer, you must put the "quick freeze".
What are the ways to freeze apples for winter at home? There are several methods of freezing apples.
Apples cut into slices, remove the seeds and the stem (but can be frozen with seeds).
Arrange sliced apples on dry chopping boards or trays.
Slices should not touch each other and lay on one layer. And immediately put it all in the freezer.
After 2-3 hours, you can start packing. Carefully removed slices are laid out in plastic bags or containers in small portions.
When packing in a bag, make sure that less air is inside. If the packaging takes place in plastic containers, then they are correct. very tight closeto avoid ingress of air and moisture inside.
In sugar syrup
Cook syrup (750 g of water mixed with 450 g of sugar and 1500 mg of ascorbic acid). Apples cut into slices, dipped in cold syrup for a day. After that, slice the pieces blanched (boiled over with boiling water), put on the pans and cool in the freezer.
After decomposing into packages, with minimum amount of air. Apples thus prepared have the flavor of baked apples and are a good dessert.
To do this, rinse and dry the apple. Special knife neatly core remove.
Immerse the fruit in a specially prepared solution ascorbic acid (50 g of water + 1500 g of acid) for a few minutes.
After that, put an apple in a special freezer bagby pre-releasing air from there.
An apple frozen in this way can lie in the freezer for half a year, preserving all its useful qualities. Such fruits are used in cooking for dishes such as apples in dough or whole apples baked with sugar.
Of course, frozen fruits save a lot of time for any hostess, so you should definitely take some time in the fall to enjoy practically fresh apples before the new harvest.
If you want to learn about other ways of storing apples for the winter, you can read our articles on drying, drying and how to preserve the fresh crop at home or in the cellar, and you will also be interested to know about the storage characteristics of dried apples.
The benefits of freezing apples at home
Freezing berries at home is no longer a wonder, but not everyone freezes apples for the winter. But in vain, because this method of storage has significant advantages:
- Frozen fruits preserve vitamins and trace elements, and when cooking a lot of nutrients are lost,
- Having made the harvesting, you will always be sure that the fruit has not been subjected to any chemical treatment, which cannot be said about the same apples from the store, which look suspiciously “fresh” even when the new crop is already spiced on the branches of the trees, on store shelves
- You will greatly facilitate and accelerate the subsequent process of cooking your favorite dishes, because the fruit will be already prepared (washed, peeled and sliced).
To successfully freeze fruit for the winter, you need to follow a few simple rules:
- withchoose fresh, ripe, dense and non-deformed fruit,
- before freezing, apples must be rinsed and dried, as the unprepared slices stick together during freezing, and instead of neat and beautiful slices you will get one strange lump,
- frozen fruits need to be folded in an airtight container or plastic bag how more densely (the denser they will be laid, the less moisture they will lose and, accordingly, the better they will retain their properties).
Before freezing at home, apples must be rinsed, the stem and core removed, peeled (this is not necessary, later frozen segments can be cleaned) and cut into slices. The shape and size of the pieces (slices, circles or cubes) can be chosen at your discretion.Preparing apples for freezing
So, small cubes will take less space in the freezer and allow you to make more stocks. And apples cut into circles or slices will have a more aesthetic look and are perfect not only as a filling, but also for decorating pies and rolls.
An important role in the storage of such winter blanks is played by the temperature maintained by the freezer. The most suitable for freezing is -18ºС. In this case, frozen fruit will be stored for up to 1 year. At temperatures from 0 ºС to -8 ºС store apples, it decreases only to three months.
So that summer harvesting could please you longer, follow some simple rules:
- Do not store frozen food for too long
- sign the date of the freeze and the grade that was used,
- Keep fruit away from vegetables.
You may be interested in the following articles on the subject of apples:
- Dry the prepared apples thoroughly on a towel
- After that, carefully spread the slices on a baking sheet, cutting board or a tray covered with cellophane wrap, so that the slices do not touch each other. The use of cellophane is not necessary in principle.however, it helps significantly to collect frozen slices (if you decide to do without it, then be sure to ensure that the surface on which you will spread the fruit is completely dry),
- put the slices out into the freezer for 2 - 3 hours,
- collect the frozen slices in bags or containers and store in the freezer.
This method of freezing allows you to store fruit 9 - 12 months.
Apples in syrup
- Prepare sugar syrup by taking 3 parts of water for 2 parts of sugar,
- pour the prepared apples with syrup, while it should completely cover the slices (you can lightly press them with a lid or a plate),
- After 3 - 5 minutes, remove the slices and put them in a bag in a thin layer, send them to the freezer.
Such fruits are stored up to 12 months.Preparation of apples for freezing in syrup
- Prepare apples and sugar, taking 2/3 cups of sugar for every 3 cups of fruit,
- put the fruits cut into slices and moistened in acidified water in a saucepan, sprinkled with sugar,
- mix fruit with sugar gently
- Spread the mixture into bags or food containers and send it to the freezer.
These fruits are stored for up to 12 months.Apples in sugar for freezing
- rinse the apples, peel, the stalks and the cores, cut into small pieces,
- put them in an aluminum or enameled pan and put them on a small fire (sugar is not needed in this case),
- languish fruit until mashed potatoes become thick enough,
- transfer the mashed potatoes into containers, and, tightly closing the lid, put them in the freezer.
It is necessary to use the obtained mashed potatoes up to 9 - 12 months.Apple puree for freezing
Whole Frozen Apples
- Dry well-washed fruits with a towel,
- do not cut the apples. If you want to use peeled fruits, put them in acidified water and dry,
- neatly fold the fruit into a container, bag or wrap with cling film,
- place in freezer for freezing and storage.
Store such billet should be no more than 6 months.
So, you have decided on how to freeze apples. And if you are not going to freeze them whole or cook mashed potatoes, then you need to take care that they retain their snow-white appearance and do not darken. For this it is important to follow a few rules:
- Prepare the fruit in small batches: do not immediately clear a lot of fruits so that they do not have time to darken until you cut into slices,
- Immediately put the sliced slices into acidified water (5 g of citric acid are required for 1 l of water),
- salted water will be used instead of acidified water (30 g of salt is used for 4 liters of water), which will also help avoid oxidation and perfectly preserve the fruit.
What then cook from these apples?
From frozen apples you can cook a fairly large number of different dishes:
- If you frozen whole fruits, they are well suited for baking both whole and halved (for piquancy add to them and stuffing from nuts, honey, cottage cheese or just sprinkle with sugar on top)
- apples in sugar are an excellent base for a sweet dessert, smoothie or cocktail,
- applesauce is used for filling pies, buns, as the first fruit food for babies or in the preparation of various sauces. It will also be a substitute for butter or jam in sweet sandwiches, and if you adore cooking marshmallow, marshmallow or sorbet, then mashed potatoes will help make these sweets not only tasty, but also quick enough to prepare,
- if you add frozen berries (cherries, strawberries or raspberries) to apple slices and take lemon juice for flavor, you will get a great compote,
- apple slices can be used as a filling and decorating pies, charlottes, cakes, cupcakes and strudels. Appetizing and nourishing pancakes are obtained with such a filling.
- Frozen apples are not only a part of dessert or baking, but also an addition to savory dishes: baked duck stuffing or a component of a festive salad. Of them also get savory sauces for meat dishes.
To freeze apples is not at all difficult, as it seems at first glance. Having dedicated a bit of time to this simple procedure, you will not only save a piece of summer, but will also use its gifts for the benefit of yourself and your family!
How to freeze applesauce for baby
Peeled apples can be pierced with a blender to a puree state. Puree put into ice forms or packaged in plastic cups. It is better not to add sugar to the billet frozen for feeding children.
What apple varieties are best suited for freezing
Before learning how to freeze apples for the winter, you need to know which varieties are suitable for this purpose.
The best solution would be to use autumn and winter varieties with a sweet and sour taste - Antonovka, Glory to the winners, Golden, Richard, Kutuzovets, Sinap, etc. Fruits will perfectly remain at low temperatures.In order to find out whether apples of a certain variety are suitable for freezing, you can also perform the following simple procedure:peeled fruit for 10 minutes should be put on the middle shelf of the refrigerator. If its surface does not darken, you can safely send apples to the freezer.
Dry freezeThe essence of this method of freezing is that, first, apple slices must be placed on a baking sheet or tray, covered with paper, and sent for 2-3 hours to freeze. At the same time make sure that the pieces are not in contact and lay in one layer. After a couple of hours, frozen slices are packed in sealed containers or bags for freezing and put in a freezer for long-term storage. Thus, they will not stick together and will be easily separated from each other.
How to use frozen apples
In cooking, there are many recipes for dishes from frozen apples. In most cases, they are used in the same way as fresh fruit for cooking:
- pies, pies, bagels, cookies, donuts and other pastries,
- compotes and cocktails,
- fruit salads and jellies,
- roasting whole
- stuffing poultry meat (duck, goose, turkey),
- pancakes, pancakes.
- 4 eggs,
- 1 tbsp. flour,
- 1 tbsp. Sahara,
- 4 things. frozen apples or a handful of frozen cloves,
- vanilla sugar to taste.
To make pancakes with frozen apples, the following ingredients are needed:
- 4-5 Art. l pulp of frozen apples,
- 1 tbsp. milk
- 2/3 cup flour,
- 1 tbsp. l sour cream
- 2.5 Art. l Sahara,
- 0.5 tsp. soda (quench with vinegar),
- 1 egg
- Vanillin to taste.
To make a compote of frozen apples, you will need:
- 400 g frozen apples
- 1 tbsp. l Sahara,
- 3 liters of drinking water.
These are just a few of the recipes with frozen apples, so each housewife decides for herself what to prepare from the harvested fruit.
Most gardeners, finding out whether frozen apples are useful and how they can be used, begin to harvest fruit in this way. In addition, it helps to efficiently process the crop.
Features freezing apples at home
There are nuances that are important to consider before embarking on this lesson. The less time it takes from picking the fruit to freezing it, the better. As for the rotted and overripe specimens, despite their appetizing appearance in a frozen state, when defrosting they turn into mashed potatoes, which is unlikely to want.
That is, the fruit must be sufficiently ripe, but not damaged. To fruit could lie for a year, you need a fairly powerful freezer. In such a device, fruits can preserve both nutrients and vitamins in almost the same amount.
Of course, there is more benefit in a fresh product, but a frozen apple has 90% of all that this fruit is valued for.Taking into account the fact that in the winter period it can be quite difficult to find high-quality apples, organic fruits from the garden will be just right.
Being properly frozen, these fruits can be used both by themselves and in combination with other products, or in dishes. You can cook compotes and perform other culinary exploits, because the number of recipes that use apples is truly enormous.