Sometimes the external characteristics of chickens determine the originality of their breed. Dark colors are widespread in agriculture. Breeds of black chickens are both productive and decorative, many of them are very popular.
Breeds of black chickens
Features of black chickens
Layers of black color are not less popular than white or red.
Feathers have a dark shade due to their high melanin content. Some birds also have black skin, muscle mass and bones. Representatives of the same species may be of different colors or different plumage with an admixture of some color.
All black chickens are raised to produce dietary meat, as well as broiler breeds, as well as eggs and fluff. Some of them are exotic, they are bred for beauty or to order for restaurants. Unites chickens their simplicity in the content.
Black Moscow chickens
The most common breed of hens was bred in 1980 based on breeding of brown Leggorn, New Hampshire and Yurlov breeds.
They are distinguished by black plumage with golden feathers on the neck of females, the males on the back have copper plumage. The body is elongated, protruding chest, large wings, tight to the body. The head is large with a large beak and orange eyes. The comb is small, upright, red, the same shade of the earring and earlobe.
Productivity of black Moscow hens:
- meat output at slaughter of hens - 2.5-2.7 kg, roosters - 3.5-3.7 kg,
- egg production per year - up to 210 pcs., their weight can reach 60-75 g, the color of the shell - beige and brown.
Laying birds of this variety do not have a brooding instinct; therefore, hatching of chickens is carried out in an incubator manner. Tight plumage and resistance to temperature changes allow birds to withstand cold weather in an unheated chicken coop. Stress resistance, unpretentiousness and high survival rate allows to produce chickens on an industrial scale.
The breed is called so because it was bred in Australia by crossing English breeds of chickens. Its appearance has characteristic features:
- feathers are completely black, but the sun is cast in green, broad and rounded at the ends,
- the body is rounded, elongated at the tail, the chest is wide,
- the tail is wide, raised, with a rooster - with long braids,
- the comb is small, straight, with short teeth, red in color, the beard and earlobes have the same shade,
- eyes are black, stand out brightly,
- legs are of medium length, bluish-gray.
The maturity period of laying hens comes to 8 months of life, and up to 2 years of age they give 200-300 eggs each year. The mass of each rarely exceeds 50-55 g, the color of the shell is cream. Carcasses of roosters can weigh up to 3.5 kg, hens - up to 3 kg. The maternal instinct is developed at a high level, the hens themselves determine barren eggs, which are then thrown out of the nest. Chickens at birth have gray fur, but it soon disappears.
Two subspecies of Pantsirevsky chickens are known - white and black, both were bred by crossing many meat-breeding breeds from 1947 to 1961. Black layers and cocks have a proportional build with deep breasts. The color of feathers is black without blotches, the legs and beak are dark. A small neat head with yellow eyes. The crest is small in females and large in males, with four teeth, upright, red.
Black Pantsirevskaya breed has productive indicators of the average value:
- meat output at slaughter chickens is 2.5-2.9 kg, roosters - 2.9-4 kg,
- The egg production in the first year does not exceed 220 pieces, but it increases every year, reaches 270 pieces, each up to 65 g with a cream shell.
Laying chicks are able to hatch independently. Breed is valued for its high survival rate and unpretentiousness in food. Birds are able to easily endure stress and quickly acclimatize in new conditions.
Russian black bearded
Appeared at the end of the twentieth century, Russian Black Bearded breed is striking in appearance.
The plumage of the hens is black, without impurities, the roosters on the back may have copper feathers. The body is massive, with a broad chest and loin, a straight, slightly curved tail. The head is developed, the beak is short, thick, curved at the end. Beak and legs are about the same color - from black to dark gray.
The eyes are brown, stand out brightly on the red head. The small pinkish crest narrows towards the end. The beard is arcuate, massive, ends in the middle of the neck. All skin elements on the head are scarlet. There are large black earrings that frame the lower part of the head.
The body weight of this breed of roosters ranges from 3.5 to 4 kg, with chickens it is slightly less - 2.7-3 kg. Egg production is average, 200-220 eggs per year. Each egg has a light brown shell, weighs up to 65 g.
Chickens are hatched out of the largest eggs by incubation. Low temperatures are easily tolerated by representatives of this species. To maintain egg production at a good level, you need a constant fortified diet.
Some breeds of black chickens differ in low productivity of meat and eggs.
More often, they are bred as decorative birds or for sale to amateur gourmets. Their distinctive feature is black skin and meat with a high content of carnosine.
The most famous decorative chickens:
- Chinese Silk chicken has feathers without fastenings between the fibers, because they resemble down and stick in different directions. Especially fluffy little head, short tail and squat legs. The beak and metatarsus have a black tint, the eyes are dark, the comb is small and pink. The mass of chickens rarely reaches 1 kg, the roosters grow to 1.5 kg. The number of eggs per year does not exceed 100 pieces, each weighs up to 35 g.
- Ayam Tsemani were bred in Indonesia as a result of numerous crosses. They have black feathers, a beak, legs, eyes, tongue, a straight comb, and a full body. They grow small, hens - up to 1.5 kg, roosters - up to 2 kg. Eggs have a dark brown shell color, weigh 50 g. Production of eggs does not exceed 100 pieces per year.