Many gardeners are trying to find the most productive and undemanding to care type of tomato, resistant to major diseases. One of the latest achievements of the European breeding is the mid-season Gina tomato.
Due to its characteristics, it enjoys a wide and deserved popularity among summer residents and gardeners. Why did he deserve people's love? The answer is in the description of the variety, which you will find later in the article.
We will also introduce to familiarization the main characteristics, characteristics of cultivation and care, the ability to resist diseases.
Tomato "Gina": description of the variety
Let's start with the description of the tomato "Gina". It was withdrawn quite recently, but has already gained wide popularity and popularity. The plant is short, determinant, medium-leaf. The shrub is not standard, up to 50-60 cm high, consists of three stems growing from the root itself. Does not require a garter, formation, pasynkovaniya.
The variety of tomatoes "Gina" is large-fruited, middle-ripening, from the appearance of the first sprouts to the full ripening of fruits, 110-120 days pass. The first brush begins to be laid above 8 sheets, the rest - after 1-2 sheets.
Like most low-growing tomatoes, it is grown in open ground, but also grows well in a greenhouse. The plant is very thermophilic, but in the south of the Russian Federation it can be cultivated in a seedless manner.
Suffering from temperature extremes, so when landing in open ground, he may need additional temporary shelter.
The bush is resistant to late blight, verticillosis, fusarium, root rot, TMM. May be attacked by pests. There is also a hybrid form of the plant: Gina TST. She bred a little later, the Moscow agricultural company "Search".
Tomatoes of the Gina variety are round, slightly flattened on top, of a bright red color, large, slightly ribbed, weighing about 200-300 grams. The number of chambers in the fruit is 6-8. Mass fraction of dry matter per tomato is 5%.
Compare the weight of fruit varieties with others can be in the table below:
The skin is thick, dense. The taste is sweet, pleasant, with a slight sourness. The flesh is fleshy, soft, aromatic and juicy. Tomatoes of excellent quality, even, beautiful. Well tolerate long-term transportation, long stored.
If these ripe tomatoes are placed in a sterile glass container, tightly closed with a lid and put on the cold, then they will retain their freshness, appearance and taste for up to three months. With proper storage, tomatoes do not lose their commercial quality and taste great for a very long time. Fruiting long, not friendly, stretched. About 3-5 fruits form on one brush.
We will also tell you about all means of protection against late blight and diseases such as Alternaria, Fusarium and Verticilliasis.
And now we offer to see photos of the Gina tomato variety.
Gina is a Dutch variety. Gina was included in the State Register of the Russian Federation in 2000 for growing in open ground, in greenhouses and under temporary film shelters. Cultivation of Gina tomatoes is carried out in the southern regions of Russia, in Ukraine and Moldova. There he grows beautifully without shelter, in the open field. More severe climatic conditions will require greenhouse cultivation.
Tomatoes of universal appointment: remarkably are suitable for production of juice, ketchup, paste. Can be used for salads, pickles. Because of the thick, dense skin, they are more often used for canning, pickling.
The variety is very productive. With proper care, timely watering, fertilizing, from one bush can collect up to 3-4 kg of large, delicious tomatoes. Gina is one of the best large-fruited tomato varieties of European selection.
The yield of other varieties is presented in the table below:
- prolonged fruiting
- resistance to major diseases
- high yield
- great taste
- good transportability, keeping quality,
- fruits slightly crack when ripening,
- does not need to be staved.
- bush may be attacked by pests
- suffers from temperature extremes.
Well suited for beginners amateur gardeners who do not have sufficient experience in the cultivation of this crop.
Features of growing
Some seed growers claim that the variety is mid-season. Others write about early harvest. For different climatic conditions, the ripening time can vary from 85 to 120 days. With greenhouse cultivation, ripening will also be early.
These tomatoes are recommended to be grown by seedlings. The optimal time for sowing seeds for seedlings will be the end of March. Plant sensitive to low temperaturestherefore, the bushes are placed in a permanent place only after the soil is fully heated, in the beginning or in the middle of June.
On apt. m place 3-4 plants. Until they get stronger, it is advisable to use a temporary garter to the support. Passing or forming a bush is not necessary. When grown in the southern regions, it is recommended to dispense with a garter, so that the bushes with fruits lay on the ground. It can protect the roots from drying out.
Care for this tomato is simple: watering, loosening the soil, feeding, weeding. The first mandatory feeding of seedlings is carried out 2 weeks after planting in a permanent place. After 10 days, the procedure is repeated. The third feeding - after 2 weeks, and after 20 days - the fourth.
During flowering shrubs watered about 2 times a week. Watering increase in the period of ripening.
Diseases and pests
Gina is absolutely resistant to the main diseases of tomatoes, but sometimes it can be attacked by pests: aphids, wireworms, cedar beetles, grubs.
Seeing the appearance of aphids on the leaves is pretty easy. The sheet is covered with sticky liquid, curls, turns yellow. At the first signs of plant damage, you can use proven folk remedies (infusion of onion peel, garlic, wormwood or tobacco, soapy water).
If there are too many pests, then insecticide spraying will have to be resorted to. (Spark, Phyto farm, Proteus, Karate). Wireworm, Medvedka, and Khrushchi inhabit under the top layer of soil, destroying the root system. This can trigger a disease, and even the death of a plant.
Pests can only be detected by the general condition and appearance of the plant. It stops growing, fades, leaves turn yellow, fall off. Only processing with chemicals will help here: Zemlin, Medvetoks, Corado, Antikhrushch, Konfidor.
According to reviews of gardeners, Gina tomato - one of the best new varieties. It is very easy to grow, does not require special care. Observing the minimum requirements of agricultural technology, you can get a rich harvest of beautiful tomatoes with excellent taste.
Description and characteristics of the variety
Dutch variety of gin tomatoes was listed in the State Register of the Russian Federation in 2000. Tomatoes are intended for cultivation in greenhouses, as well as in areas with initial film shelter.
- Variety, not a hybrid.
- Mid-season. The fruits ripen at 110-120 days after seed germination.
- Determinant with a limited growth of the stem, not standard. The bush grows to a height of 50-60 cm. It consists of three main stems that grow from the root itself.
- Suitable for cultivation in the south of Russia, in Moldova and Ukraine. Here it is grown in open ground, without covering the film. For a colder climate, tomatoes need greenhouse conditions.
- Shrub medium green with large leaves.
- During the period of growth does not require a garter, pasynkovanie and the formation of the bush.
- Inflorescences are simple. The first is formed above the 8-9 leaf, followed by each 3 leaf. On one brush produces from 3 to 6 tomatoes.
- The variety does not tolerate sudden changes in temperature, so if necessary, young seedlings in the open field are covered with a film.
- Resistant to diseases such as late blight, mosaic virus, verticillis, root rot and fusarium. May be attacked by pests.
- High yield. If all the rules of cultivation (watering, fertilizers) are observed, 1 bush can produce up to 4 kg of large tomatoes.
- There is also a hybrid form of this variety.: Gina TST. The hybrid was later bred by experts from the Moscow agricultural company Poisk.
- Gina variety has round-shaped fruits, slightly flattened at the fruit, there is a slight ribbing.
- The average weight of one tomato is 200 g. Tomatoes grown in greenhouse conditions can reach a weight of up to 400 g.
- Tomatoes in immature condition are green, and fully ripened red.
- The flesh is thick and juicy.
- Inside there are 6-8 seed chambers with an average number of seeds.
- The skin is thick, dense.
- The taste is sour-sweet, rich.
- Fruits with a characteristic tomato flavor.
- The composition of the tomato contains about 5% of dry matter.
- After harvesting, tomatoes can be stored for a long time - for three months in the event that they are folded in a glass dish, tightly closed with a lid and kept in a cold place. With proper storage, Gina tomatoes retain all their qualities for a long time.
- When transporting retain their original appearance.
- Crop harvested before the onset of frost.
Emaciated Stepanenko: I weighed 108, and now 65. At night she drank warm. Read more here.
Take a look photo varieties of tomatoes Gina in different degrees of maturity and in the cut state.
Gina variety is included in the list of the best large-fruited tomatoes created by European breeders. He has a lot of advantages:
- It is not exacting to conditions of cultivation and leaving.
- Harvesting is long - until the end of the season.
- Not exposed to many solanaceous diseases.
- It has large fruits.
- The harvest is quite high.
- Great tomato flavor.
- Perfectly stored and carry transportation over long distances.
- Tomatoes practically do not crack when overripened.
- Bushes do not need to be staved.
- Suitable for young growers without much experience.
I was able to get rid of ARTHROSIS AND OSTEOCHONDROSIS PER MONTH! Operations are not needed. Read more here.
- Prone to pest attack.
- Does not tolerate temperature extremes.
Genie Tomatoes Great for fresh consumption. Of them prepare a variety of salads, snacks, juices and pastes. Due to the thick skin, tomatoes are used for pickling and canning. They turn out very tasty and do not crack.
Watch the video! Tomato Gina
I sowed Gin's tomato right into the ground, as there was not enough time to grow on the windowsill, this method turned out to be the most convenient. The first harvest pleased with its size. The average fruit weight reached 250 grams. Tomatoes are very tasty, with a characteristic aroma.
In February last year, I drove to the store for seeds, and I was advised to produce a variety of gin. According to the characteristics of the tomato seemed very good, I decided to find out whether the description is the same or not. The bush grew lush. For the convenience of picking fruit, I tied it up. The harvest turned out to be very good, the harvest lasted until October, which was very gratifying. This year I will definitely plant this variety in my garden.
Pros and cons varieties
If we analyze all the advantages and disadvantages of the “Gin” variety, then its advantages include:
- possibility of cultivation in the open and closed grounds,
- good yield
- large sizes of fruits
- the duration of fruiting,
- high content of tomatoes in vitamins,
- excellent taste of fruits,
- good transportability of tomatoes,
- universality of tomatoes,
- compactness and, as a result, the uselessness during cultivation to carry out such procedures as tying, shaping, staving, thinning,
- average weather resistance,
- unpretentious care,
- resistance to such diseases as fusarium, late blight, root rot, verticillus,
- long storage in all weather conditions.
- frequent pest damage
- poor resistance to temperature fluctuations, which will require a temporary shelter when planted in open ground,
- cracking fruit when ripening.
Sowing seeds for seedlings
Sow seeds for seedlings should be at the end of March. The last valid date will be the beginning of April. Before sowing, the seeds are placed in a weak solution of potassium permanganate.
After the formation of the first leaves (one or two) sprouts should dive into different tanks with peat. Periodically, seedlings need to be put outside for hardening. You can start from 15 minutes a day, and then gradually increase this time period.
Planting seedlings on the site
Planted seedlings need in the period from May 25 to June 10. The seedling at the time of planting should be 45-50 days old. In order not to be mistaken with the timing and not to ruin the planting material, it is necessary to inquire about the temperature of the soil.
If the air temperature drops below 17 degrees, the plants must be wrapped.
Is it possible to grow Gina tomatoes in a seedless manner?
With a seedless planting method, seeds are sown directly into the ground. This should be done at the same time as planting seedlings: from late spring to early summer. The seeding procedure is as follows:
- The formation of grooves 30 cm.
- Soil fertilizer with phosphate-potassium or ash.
- Filling of grooves with earth.
- Abundant watering.
- The formation of shallow holes.
- Laying in them several seeds.
- Powder their land.
How to care for Gina tomatoes
After planting in a vegetable garden, “Gina” tomatoes, when grown, behave in the same way as with other tomatoes, however there are some differences: they do not tie up their stems, do not manipulate the formation of bushes and do not stepchildren. Caring for them is standard and consists in watering, loosening the soil and fertilizing. If necessary, you will need to carry out preventive and therapeutic procedures for diseases and harmful insects.
Watering, weeding and loosening the soil
It should be watered when the top layer of soil dries out slightly. During the flowering period, it is recommended to perform this procedure twice a week. In the phase of formation of the fruit, the number of irrigations should be increased and carried out every other day. And in especially hot periods, when the temperature exceeds 28-30 degrees, water daily. You also need to control the condition of the soil - it should always be loose and clean from weeds. Therefore, tomatoes are shown regular loosening the beds and weeding.
Top dressing bushes
Fertilization is recommended to produce according to the following scheme:
- the first feeding - two weeks after landing in open ground,
- second feed after 10 days break
- the third feeding - two weeks after the previous one,
- fourth dressing - 20 days after the third.
Before each application of fertilizer, tomatoes should be sprinkled with separated or rain water. Feeding and watering procedures should be carried out in the early morning or in the evening, since water or mortar on the leaves is fraught with sunburn.
Resistance to pests and diseases
One of the biggest problems that can comprehend tomatoes is pest infestation. There are plenty of lovers to eat green tomato tops.
Aphid. Often the juice of the plant drinks aphid. As a result, leaves turn yellow and tomatoes become worse. To combat the sucking insects use folk remedies in the form of decoctions of insecticidal plants: onion peel, garlic, tobacco, wormwood. In case of mass destruction, it is necessary to resort to spraying with chemical insecticides: “Decis Pro”, “Confidor Maxi”, “Ratibor”, etc.
Colorado beetle. The larvae of this beetle are also not averse to feast on tomato leaves. For their destruction they use a mechanical method (hand-picking) and a chemical method - spraying with the preparations “Decis Extra”, “Senpai”, “Confidor”, “Corado”, etc. Medvedka. It damages the roots of the plant, causing the plant to fade and may die. Eliminate the pest using treatments "Medvetoksom", "Rembek Granula."
Chafer. The larvae of the cockchafer is also very dangerous for tomatoes, because they can provoke the death of the whole bush. They are fought with insecticides "Basudin", "Zemlin", "Antikhrusch".
Wireworm. The fight against this dangerous insect is carried out by the same means as with the larvae of the May beetle.
To the main diseases inherent in this vegetable crop, Gina is resistant.
How to use Gina tomatoes
When in the advantages of the variety we indicated its versatility, we meant that tomatoes can be eaten fresh, and also they are great for canning and cooking ketchup, adzhika, tomato juice and pasta.
Elena M .: “It was from this variety that I began to learn how to grow tomatoes. He is really good and fully consistent with the description. "
Lyudmila Y .: “The variety is very good. Delight and time, and size, and taste. And also its simplicity. "
Description and characteristics of tomato gina
Genie's tomatoes were bred recently by Dutch breeders, but quickly gained the favor of farmers in many countries. The hybrid belongs to the determinant, the plant can reach a maximum height of 40-60 cm.
The variety is recognized by the following external features:
- three or four strong stalks develop from the root,
- the plant has an average foliage,
- the leaves are medium, have a bright green color,
- fruits are large, bright red color, can reach 250-400 g,
- the shape of the tomato is round, with a light ribbed skin,
- fruit tastes are excellent, they, as well as possible, combine sugars and acids of natural origin,
- the pulp of the fruit is dense, has no more than 8 seed chambers.
Gina’s Tomato has a TJT genie subtype that will have such differences in its description from the main one:
- ripen much faster, just 100 days after sowing seeds,
- color of fruits is bright orange,
- fruit size is relatively small, up to 150 g each,
- ripe tomatoes hardly crack, even after over-ripening.
The variety of tomatoes Gina TST is not universal, in canned form does not preserve all the taste. Most often it is grown for fresh consumption. Tomatoes are planted both in open ground in the southern regions, and in greenhouses, under more severe weather conditions.
Another subspecies is Login, it belongs to the largest round-growing tomatoes. The loggins are quite early, the harvest can be tasted after 65 days, it is very juicy and has a very thin skin. But this did not affect its excellent performance after transportation, even over considerable distances.
Pros and cons of a hybrid
One of the best varieties of large-fruited tomatoes has its own drawbacks and advantages, the positive characteristics include:
- unpretentiousness of a hybrid in care,
- high immunity to most diseases and pests,
- long period of fruiting,
- high yields,
- excellent taste of ripe fruit,
- good transportability and maturation of tomatoes,
- when overripe almost never crack,
- does not require pinching and garter.
Among the negative indicators it is worth highlighting the sensitivity to temperature, the plant can grow and develop normally only when the thermometer shows above 18 ° C.