Plants of the Astrov family do not cease to amaze us with their diversity. Among the 25 species of asters whose homeland is the American continent, Gaillardia stands out for its unique appearance, excellent drought-resistant qualities. This herb can be both annual and perennial. She owes her name to French patron Gaillard de Charentono, who in the 18th century patronized botany as a science and was a member of the Paris Academy of Sciences.
The straight stem of Gailardia can reach almost a meter height, or more precisely 90 cm. It has an edge and is branched densely along its entire length. Simple alternate leaves are oval-shaped (or lanceolate), serrated along the edges. Quite long peduncles form a single basket inflorescence at the end. On this inflorescence are located marginal three-toothed purple petals and median, dark red, tubular.
Gailardia blooms very copiously. Its fruit is achene with a tuft. Gailardia is a one-year-old culture, and perennial - hybrid and spinous Gylardia. Gaylardiyu is very similar to the plant Gelenium, belonging to the family of Compositae. It is necessary to take this into account and try not to be confused.
If we sow on seedlings at home
Gaillardia seed cultivation when planted seedling photos
- When to plant gayardiyu seeds? Sowing start in early March.
- A wet substrate is taken and rather large Gaillardia seeds are distributed on its surface.
- Top can be sprinkled with nutrient primer or vermiculite - an active mineral component that contains a complex of elements for plant growth, and this is iron, silicon, potassium-magnesium compounds, etc.
- The place where crops are kept should be bright, but not accessible to the direct rays of the sun.
- The optimum temperature should be between 20 and 22 ° C. The seed germination time is from one week to two.
Gaillardia from seed Shoots gaylardii photo
- With the emergence of shoots, it is necessary to move the seedlings to a place where the temperature will not exceed 18-20 ° C. Well suited cold greenhouse, which not only provides the desired temperature, but also creates high humidity, so necessary for plant growth.
- Watering is done as the surface of the soil dries. To avoid the risk of infecting seedlings with a disease such as gray rot, which occurs due to very high humidity, do not flood plants.
- If there is poor illumination in the house, it is necessary to equip the room with fluorescent lamps in order to increase the length of daylight hours to 15 hours.
- Seedlings grow well and form new leaves. In order for them to develop fully, it is important to provide enough space: in a box or container, leave a distance of at least 5 cm between the plants and transplant the remaining seedlings into separate cups. Pick up seedlings in more free containers is carried out when the first pair of these leaves develop well.
- After a dive, when a couple of weeks pass and the seedlings will actively develop, do not forget to temper. Leave the plants on the street or open balcony for an hour or two a day, gradually increasing the time "in the sun" to a full day. when the seedlings will be fine to sleep on the street, it is boldly planted in the ground.
Do not forget about the danger of frost. Only when the positive temperature is established at night, can the plants be left outside.
If we sow in open ground
Just in the ground, seeds of gaillardia can be sown as soon as good weather is established and the ground ripens. Gaillardia can multiply by self-sowing, and therefore the seeds are not afraid of low temperatures. Shoots will appear only when favorable conditions occur.
- We make shallow grooves at a distance of 20 cm from each other.
- Carefully arrange the seeds in the furrows. They are a little inconvenient to sow because of the sharp tips, resembling umbrellas. But try as little as possible.
- Sprinkle with earth using a rake.
- We water abundantly, but in order not to form an earthy crust after drying (in appearance, the ground must remain loose).
- After a couple of weeks you will need to break through the shoots and remove the weeds.
- The bed can be used as a future flower bed and a hotbed for transferring excess plants to another place.
- As a result, we leave in the row the distance between the bushes of 20-25 cm.
Perennial gaillardia is rapidly growing, but will only bloom next year. Be patient!
How to plant Gylardia in the open field
Gaylardy seedlings are planted in a flower bed already in May. Place for landing pick up a sunny, open. Nutritious soil for planting flowers should be light and have good drainage. Heavy acidic soil that retains moisture, gaillardia can not stand.
- To prepare the ground for planting, you need to make one bucket of humus, a couple of handfuls of ash and one handful of complex fertilizers for every 1m² of land.
- The distance between the saplings is observed from 20 to 25 cm. After planting the bed is moistened.
Before the onset of autumn frosts, the plant will take root and the next 4 years will delight you with abundant flowering.
In the first year, a 10-15 leaf rosette is formed, which will give a flower in the spring of next year.
Care for many years of gaillardia
Due to the fact that the plant is very unpretentious and needs, basically, only in good lighting, then caring for her great difficulties and
- Moderate watering it is necessary only if the heat is delayed for a long time and does not recede. All care for Gylardia is reduced to weeding and loosening the soil.
- For more than 2 months this bright flower will delight you with its flowering, but if there is a desire, you can extend it with the help of simple manipulations.
- First, it is necessary to get rid of wilted inflorescences in a timely manner and tie up the tallest varieties of Gylardia.
- Secondly, three times per season (during the appearance of the first buds, during the flowering period and in the autumn before the cold weather appears), the plant needs to be fed with granules of mineral complex fertilizer.
- Manure to feed is prohibited.
- Gaylardiyu must not only feed in time, but also transplanted. Do it every 4-5 years by dividing the rhizome.
Propagation of gaillardia by dividing the bush and cuttings
Along with seed, flower reproduction can also be vegetative, which is produced, for example,
by dividing rhizomes.
- After 5 years, the flower curtain is dug out and divided into parts, each part must contain a sufficient amount of roots and shoots: at least three points of growth.
- Each part is transferred to a new place.
- Carry out the procedure of transplantation mainly in the spring.
Gailardia can also be propagated using root cuttings.. At the same time the curtain just digs in along the perimeter line, there are the most developed and large roots, which divide segments of 5-7 cm. They are transferred to the greenhouse for growing.
Diseases and pests of Gaillardia
The plant can be attacked by insects such as the aphid and whitefly butterfly. With the help of chemical drugs "Actellic" or "Decis" you can get rid of them. Instructions for drugs will tell you how to do it. There is also a risk of illness with improper care of the plant. Such manifestations known to gardeners as rot gray, powdery mildew, white rust, spotting are the result of the penetration of fungal infections. They fight against these diseases with the help of fungicides, which include: Bordeaux mixture, colloidal sulfur, Hom, Oksihom. White rust is well resisted by the drug "Skor".
Period after flowering of Gaillardia Seed collection and wintering plants
Gaillardia Arizona San Arizona Sun in landscape design photo mixborder
In order not to remain without Gailardia seeds, it is necessary to leave a small amount of withered flowers before the onset of autumn directly on the plant. So that the seeds do not crumble, the heads of withered flowers are tied with gauze. If this is not done, the ripe seeds will fall into the ground and germinate the following year. Will only thin out the seedlings and transplant to another place. Much to our regret, the seeds do not carry information about the varietal characteristics of the parents, if your hybrid form grows.
As for wintering plants, there are some nuances here. If the plant is young, then the first winter should be taken responsibly. To do this, cut all the leaves to ground level, cover this place with spruce leaves and dry foliage. Subsequent winters will transfer the plant without sheltering. This does not apply to those regions that suffer from little snow and cold winters, where it is necessary to warm the plants anyway.
Gaillardia beautiful Gaillardia pulchella
Gaillardia beautiful Lorentzian or Lorenzian Lorentz Planting and care photos in the garden
Applies to annual plants. In the process of vegetation, a bush of a fluffy, sprawling form is formed. On thin peduncles flower baskets appear, reaching 7 cm in diameter. The tongue-shaped petals change their color from red at the base to yellow at the end of the petal. Tubular petals have a red-brown color.
Gaillardia beautiful inherent in the following varieties:
- Picta painted - the owner of terry and semi-double bright red or two-colored inflorescences.
- Lorenz - differs from the rest in the size of a terry spherical inflorescence consisting of tubular petals of yellow or yellow-red shade of funnel shape. The most popular varieties Gailardii.
Grade "Yellow Plume" with terry baskets in the form of a ball, consisting of tubular yellow petals,
The variety “Red Plume” represents the same terry baskets, only the color of the tubular petals is Terracotta.
Flower gaillardia lollipup two-tone photo in the garden Planting and care
In addition to these varieties, the following varieties enjoy the same popularity: “Dzhayeti” and “Lopipus”. But the variety annual Gaillardia dull-toothed (Gaillardia amblyodon) is a rare specimen in the suburban areas.
Gaillardia bristle Gaillardia aristata aka Gaillardia grandiflora grandiflora Gaillardia grandiflora
Gaillardia grandiflora Gaillardia aristata ‘Gallo Red’ photos in the garden
Is a perennial plant, rooted from the North American continent. Its stems are distinguished by their straightness with a slight bend in the lower part, which are densely pubescent. As for height, it can vary from 30 to 75 cm. The shape of the leaf is oblong (lanceolate or oval), the edge of which can be solid or serrated. The leaf is completely trimmed.
Bottom leaf - petiolate, while the stem - sedentary. The diameter of some inflorescences can reach 12 cm. Reed petals are variegated, bright with shades of yellow and red. Yellow-red color is typical for tubular petals.
The first flowers appear in June. Gylardia has been cultivated since 1812. The combined name of this type of flower is Gailardia grandiflora (Latin Gaillardia grandiflora).
Gaillardia dwarf large-flowered variety of Gaillardia Fanfare fanfare Gaillardia spinous cultivation
The most popular varieties include:
Varral Flame variety - with red reed petals framed with a yellow border,
Dazzer variety, dark red reed petals of the plant at the base at the end turn into yellow color,
The Mandarin variety differs from the others in a rich red-yellow shade of a reed petal.
Gaillardia hybrid Gaillardia hybrida
Occurred when crossing Gailardia beautiful with its other varieties. The height of the shoot of the hybrid Gaillardia reaches 80 cm. The blooming is observed from June to August - a month. Inflorescences can be, both simple and semi-double and terry, the color of which is in the range of red-yellow-brown shades.
The most commonly grown varieties of Gylardia hybrid:
Gaillardia Red Arizona Red Shades Arizona Red Shades
Gaillardia Arizona Red Shades Arizona Red Shades gaillardia photos in the garden
Differs plant height, which can reach 50-60 cm, and yellow-golden shade of a flower. Tubular flowers are dark to dark yellow.
Gaillardia Primavera landing and care photos flowering Gaillardia undersized perennial
The undersized dwarf, whose height very rarely exceeds 25 cm. Its distinctive feature is that one socket can form up to 6-8 peduncles. The diameter of the flower basket at the same time reaches 12 cm.
Gaillardia belongs to the genus of the same name (Gaillárdia) and contains only 25 species. The plants received their name by the name of Gaill Harstonnau - a member of the Academy of Sciences in Paris, who was the patron of the botanical society. Originally all gaillardies from different regions of America, they grow both in the northern states and in the southern hemisphere. Plants mostly perennial.
Gaylardii in nature
At first they form a basal rosette of simple, slightly oblong leaves. Stems appear later, and numerous baskets bloom on them. A characteristic feature is a strong pubescence: both the leaves and the shoots are covered with numerous rough, even hard hairs.
The flowers of different types and varieties of gallardi are, at first glance, quite similar, but if you look closely, what a variety of shades and tones! Yellow and gold, red, purple and brown, which transitions from one color to another! In some, the petals are completely red and the golden rim runs only on the tip, the base of the petals is slightly reddish at the other ends, then the color changes to a deep yellow, and in the third the reed flowers are curled with a clove with delicate teeth.
A variety of coloring colors gaylardii
The first dressing is given during the budding of plants, the second - at the height of flowering, the third time they are fertilized in August, counting so that a month remains until the first frost occurs.
Gaillardia - bright sun
Multiplication of many years of gaillardy
Perennial gaylardii propagated by seed and vegetative means - division and grafting. The easiest is to dig up an old bush and divide it into several parts. This can be done in the spring, as soon as the first shoots appear, or in August-September. New delenki should be large enough, otherwise they will grow very slowly.
In the next video you can see the division and transplantation of gailardia bush.
Planting a plant
Cultivation in open ground shrub gaillardia perennial, planting and caring for it does not require much effort, but you need to know and comply with certain conditions. Since this perennial is light-requiring, planting should be carried out in well-lit, unshaded areas. Gaillardii is suitable for any cultivated light soil, you just need to avoid soils with high acidity and humidity.
Planting bushes produced at a distance of 30-35 cm from each other, for the pomp of the composition to be planted in the hole for 2-4 plants. When planting gaylardiyu need to fertilize, put in the hole humus, wood ash, compost and complex mineral fertilizers (at the rate of 35-40 g per bucket of water). Planted bushes are recommended to pour abundantly.
Tip: heavy, humus-rich, wet soils are not suitable for growing gaillardia.
Care for perennials is to ensure timely watering, tying and shelter for the harsh winter.
Gaillardia is a drought-resistant plant, needs moderate watering, tolerates hot, dry periods.
Tall perennial varieties need a garter or other support, otherwise the bush may fall apart on the ground. As props use twigs or stems of other plants, planted next to gaillardia, for example, irises, in which flower stalks are resistant even in windy weather.
Gaillardia is quite frost-resistant, tolerates good wintering, but on the threshold of fairly low temperatures, experts recommend covering it with fallen leaves or spruce.
Fertilizer and gailardia feeding
Perennials need to be fed three times per season: at the beginning of the budding phase, in the summer during the period of active flowering (July-August) and at the end of autumn after cutting the peduncles (late September - early October) three to four weeks before the first frost. Mineral complex fertilizers intended for flowering plants, compost, humus should be applied under the bushes.
Gaillardia, like many other perennials, can breed in 2 ways:
- vegetatively - division maternal bush.
The easiest way of breeding perennial gaylardii - maternal bush division. This method is suitable for lush old bushes, because gallardia grows rather slowly. It is recommended to separate the bushes in spring (in April) or in autumn after full trimming of peduncles. The wells before transplantation should be moistened abundantly, make humus.
Perennial gaillardia actively reproduces by self-sowing, but at the same time, the color of new plants may differ significantly from the maternal one.
For controlled breeding of gaylardii seeds In the fall, leave several flower stalks to ripen the seed, then collect the seeds in a separate bag, dry them and sow in the spring in a designated place. Не следует заделывать семена в почву глубже, чем на 0,5-1 см, они могут не прорости. Засеянный участок нужно обильно полить и накрыть агроволокном или пленкой для создания парникового эффекта. Первые всходы появляются на 11-12 день. Пикируют рассаду в фазе 2-3 настоящих листьев.The grown seedlings are planted in open ground on a permanent place in the autumn before winter or next spring. These plants will bloom only in the second year.
Varieties and types of gaillardia: photo
- Astra alpine perennial: cultivation and care in open ground
- Garden Oxygen: Species and Features of Growing
- How to germinate roses from a bouquet, or an affordable miracle in your garden
- Growing soapwort in the open field. Everything about the care and use of culture in landscape design
They write in conjunction with Nivyannik and chamomile, but Nivyannik is chamomile just its second name.
These are different plants, it is just popularly called the chamomile nivyanik