In shallots, both young shoots and bulbs are used as food. Compared with common onions, which are customary on our tables - bulb, shallots are not so sharp, but contain more sugar and ascorbic acid. It tastes the softest and thinnest of all fruits in the onion family.
Young green feathers of this species of onions are very juicy and delicate in taste. They are used in salads and fillings for pies, thereby replenishing the supply of vitamins necessary for the body.
Shallots are cooked with onion pies, baked in an oven in a mustard and honey sauce, marinated, stewed and fried, served with meat, vegetable and fish dishes. They are seasoned with marinades and wine vinegars, added to soups, sauces.
Did you know? To clean shallots, you should use a little trick: you must put the onion in boiling water and after a couple of minutes the skin can be easily removed by itself.
How to choose
When choosing shallots, remember the rules:
- Harvest shallots in the natural growing season, from April to August.
- Feel a few bulbs before buying, if they are strong and heavy - this is a good product. Dry and soft onion suggests that it will not survive.
- On view, determine the freshness of onions. Sprouted bulbs say that onions are old. More tender shallot has small onions. Large bulbs to taste resemble the usual onions, bulb.
The following rules will help you to keep shallots:
- Keep onions in a dry place,
- In a room where shallots are stored, good air circulation is necessary,
- Do not store shallots in the refrigerator, it will germinate there,
- Shallots can sometimes be stored no more than 3 months. in the freezer,
- This type of onion is perfectly stored in a suspended state in a net stocking in a dry room, where it will retain freshness for up to 2 months,
- Do not throw away sprouted bulbs, because they are fit for human consumption.
The composition and caloric content of shallots
The properties and composition of the Ashkelon onion are largely dependent on its growing environment, soil, watering frequency and method of treatment.
Caloric content of green feathers is 32 kcal per 100 g of product, of which:
- Protein - 1.8 g,
- Fat - 0.2 g,
- Carbohydrates - 7.3 g,
- Dietary fiber - 2.6 g,
- Water - 89.83 g,
- Ash - 0.81.
Vitamins per 100 g of product:
- Vitamin A (RE) - 50 µg,
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine) - 0.055 mg,
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) - 0.08 mg,
- Vitamin B4 (choline) - 5.7 mg,
- Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) - 0.075 mg,
- Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) - 0.061 mg,
- Vitamin B9 (folate) - 64 micrograms,
- Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) - 18.8 mg,
- Vitamin E (alpha tocopherol), TE - 0.55 mg,
- Vitamin K (phylloquinone) - 207 mcg,
- Vitamin PP (NE) - 0.525 mg.
Macro elements per 100 g of product:
- Potassium, K - 276 mg,
- Calcium, Ca - 72 mg,
- Magnesium, Mg - 20 mg,
- Sodium, Na - 16 mg,
- Phosphorus, Ph - 37 mg.
Trace elements per 100 g of product:
- Iron, Fe - 1.48 mg,
- Manganese, Mn - 0.16 mg,
- Copper, Cu - 83 µg,
- Selenium, Se - 0.6 mcg,
- Zinc, Zn - 0.39 mg.
Shallots are well preserved for a long time, without losing their properties and appearance, so its use in the winter period is especially important. At this time, the vegetable is more mature and has no summer greens, so its composition will be different.
The caloric content of shallots in tubers is 72 kcal per 100 g of product, of which:
- Protein - 2.5 g,
- Fat - 0.1 g,
- Carbohydrates - 16.8 g,
- Dietary fiber - 3.2 g,
- Water - 79.8 g,
- Ash - 0.8 g.
Macro elements per 100 g of product:
- Potassium, K - 334 mg,
- Calcium, Ca - 37 mg,
- Magnesium, Mg - 21 mg,
- Sodium, Na - 12 mg,
- Phosphorus, Ph - 60 mg.
Trace elements per 100 g of product:
- Iron, Fe - 1.2 mg,
- Manganese, Mn - 0.292 mg,
- Copper, Cu - 88 mcg,
- Selenium, Se - 1.2 mcg,
- Zinc, Zn - 0.4 mg.
Vitamins per 100 g of product:
- Beta Carotene - 0.003 mg,
- Lutein + Zeaxanthin - 8 mcg,
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine) - 0.06 mg,
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) - 0.02 mg,
- Vitamin B4 (choline) - 11.3 mg,
- Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) - 0.29 mg,
- Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) - 0.345 mg,
- Vitamin B9 (folate) - 34 micrograms,
- Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) - 8 mg,
- Vitamin E (alpha tocopherol, TE) - 0.04 mg,
- Vitamin K (phylloquinone) - 0.8 µg,
- Vitamin PP (NE) - 0.2 mg.
Essential amino acids per 100 g of product:
- Arginine - 0.181 g,
- Valine - 0.11 g,
- Histidine - 0.043 g
- Isoleucine - 0.106 g,
- Leucine - 0.149 g,
- Lysine - 0.125 g,
- Methionine - 0,027 g,
- Threonine - 0.098 g,
- Tryptophan - 0.028 g,
- Phenylalanine - 0.081 g.
Replaceable amino acids per 100 g of product:
- Alanin - 0.113 g,
- Aspartic acid - 0,231 g,
- Glycine - 0.124 g,
- Glutamic acid - 0.517 g,
- Proline - 0.165 g,
- Serine - 0.113 g,
- Tyrosine - 0.072 g.
Saturated fatty acids per 100 g of product:
- Palmitic - 0,015 g,
- Stearic - 0.001 g
Polyunsaturated fatty acids per 100 g of product:
The beneficial properties of shallots
The positive effect of shallots on the human body has been observed since ancient times. Due to its composition, it is widely used in many countries, both in cooking and in traditional medicine.
With the constant use of vegetables in food, you can notice the benefit of shallots and its effect on the following body systems:
- Circulatory system. Included in the sodium and potassium improve the condition of blood vessels, normalize blood pressure. Enriching the blood, contribute to the normal functioning of the heart, preventing the risk of many heart diseases.
Digestive system. Shallots are called a catalyst for digestion, because It helps break down fatty foods. It also promotes metabolism, removes slag and cholesterol from the body. It stimulates the production of gastric juice, increasing appetite and speeding up digestion, which is used to treat certain diseases.
Bone system. The use of Ashkelon onions has a beneficial effect on the state of our bones, the calcium contained in them makes them stronger. Improves the overall condition of the teeth and nails.
Nervous system. The essential amino acids that make up shallots are natural antioxidants that soothe the nervous system, normalize sleep, and improve memory. They have a general tonic effect on the body, giving a person vigor, as well as making him more collected and balanced.
Without even noticing, we have on hand a rich source of natural ingredients that can easily save us from some problems. Shallot recommended to include in your diet in the following cases:
- Preventing colds, including flu. The active antibacterial and anti-inflammatory property of shallots is manifested due to the high content of vitamin C. Therefore, its use stimulates the immune system, helps the body to better cope with colds and even flu.
Pregnancy. Folic acid and macronutrients, including calcium, which are part of Ashkelon's onion, help prevent pathology in pregnant women. They contribute to the development and formation of the heart, bone tissue of the fetus. Organize cell division and metabolism.
Avitaminosis. Unconditional health benefits carries a vitamin composition of shallots. Including it in your diet, a person enriches your body with substances necessary for life. Due to its properties, it increases the absorption of other foods, saturating the body with elements necessary for health.
Harm and contraindications to the use of shallots
Do not abuse this vegetable. Shallot can be added to food only in moderate doses, as overdose entails a lot of undesirable consequences. If any negative symptoms occur, further application can be carried out only after consulting a dietitian or other qualified medical specialist.
The vegetable will not bring much harm, but you should pay attention to a number of contraindications to shallots, among which are:
- Diseases of the digestive tract. Do not recommend the use of shallots for diagnosed pancreatitis and colitis, because the amino acids that make up the vegetable can irritate the intestines by increasing the acidity of the stomach. This leads to undesirable consequences.
Diseases of the kidneys and urinary system. With abundant saturation with substances that are part of shallots, the mucous surface of internal organs is irritated, preventing the removal of fluid from the body and making it difficult to urinate.
Shallot Bowl Recipes
Shallots - one of the most common spices around the world. It is used not only fresh, but also pickled, dried. Most often it is added when cooking soups, sauces and various salads, and also as a spice for meat. In the kitchen, it is simply indispensable. Onions of the Ashkelon onion, as a rule, have a slightly lilac color, which allows to diversify the color range of the dish, making it more harmonious.
Recipes with shallots:
- French onion soup. Especially popular shallots acquired in France. The world famous French onion soup is made from shallot. Variations of cooking this soup is very diverse. Ingredients: ready-made broth (1 l), beef, chicken or even vegetable, onion bulbs of Ashkelon (250-300 g), butter (100 g), celery to taste, croutons and hard cheese for serving are allowed. Preparation: chop the onion and celery into small pieces, fry until golden brown in butter. It is very important not to overdo the bow, because if it is overcooked, the taste of the soup will spoil. Next, add 300 g of broth to the onion and evaporate it until a mushy mass is formed. This procedure should be repeated twice. If after holding the spatula a striped trace is noticeable in the pan, then the mass is ready. Add the remaining broth to it and simmer for 10 minutes. Before serving, put a few toasts in a batch and sprinkle with grated cheese.
Vitamin Salad. For people who want to lose weight, pregnant women and just for those who love tasty and, most importantly, healthy writing, there is a simple salad recipe. It is unique in its combination of components that allow beneficial particles to digest as much as possible in the body. For cooking, we will need canned tuna in its own juice (1 can), shallot with greens (300-400 g), fresh cucumber (2-3 small fruits), olive oil for refueling. The cooking process begins with the cleaning of onions, as well as its grinding in the form of slices of 3 mm. Next, the prepared product is doused with boiling water. The cucumber is washed and cut into half rings by 3-5 mm. All ingredients should be put in a salad bowl, add tuna, pre-drain water from canned food, fill up an appetizing mixture with olive oil. This completes the cooking and the salad is ready to serve. Maybe he is not so handsome in appearance and will not fit the holiday table, but by including him in everyday meals, you enrich the body with essential vitamins, folic acid, which will bring significant benefits to your health.
Interesting facts about shallots
Ashkelon bow is called the "bow of the aristocrats." He acquired such a name due to distinctive features and advantages peculiar to this variety. First of all, it is the tenderness of onion "feathers", their delicate, delicate taste and high content of vitamins.
Also, the ability to not leave behind an unpleasant smell from the mouth and not to cause anxiety during its processing has not disappeared from the culinary specialists - shallots are less harsh and do not irritate the eye mucosa when it is cut. This is partly why in Ancient Greece, the Ashkelon bow was allowed to eat only the aristocracy.
In Egypt, it was used as a decor due to its unusual flowers. Most often they were planted in the temples of the Gods, while it was noted that the ministers who were there most of the time of day, almost did not hurt.
Nowadays, India is the largest importer of shallots. In this country, no meal is complete without it.
Shallots contain more natural sugar than apples and pears.
This variety of onions is very unpretentious, does not require special costs for cultivation. The harvest of green “feathers” can be harvested up to three times per season, for this you need to cut the greens when it grows to 20 cm. You can also plant shallots before winter, as It is frost resistant and has excellent keeping quality.
This type of onion grows well in apartment conditions, reaches ripeness in the ranks of the first vegetables. If you can not grow this plant yourself, you should know a few criteria by which you can buy high-quality onions in the market or in the store:
- The onion must be tight, not empty inside.
Greens are not sluggish, has a rich green color.
Fresh onions should not have developed roots.
No brown spots or even more rot.
How to cut shallots - see the video:
You can talk for a long time about the benefits of this unique food product, which is useful when eating, and as a healer is effective. Its taste and smell may not be to everyone's liking, but its useful and healing properties will certainly not leave anyone indifferent. Being a panacea for many diseases, the bow has always been, is and will be a welcome guest at each table. How to grow onions on the windowsill will tell this article.
Onions belong to one of the most ancient cultures of vegetable type. About 5 thousand years ago, the first copies appeared, which already then differed healing properties.
Chemical elements of the composition, their benefits
- Ascorbic acid - a vegetable crop is considered a record holder for the accumulation of natural vitamin C. The element belongs to the category of antioxidants, provokes the production of collagen fibers, elastin, moisture. Ascorbinka strengthens the body's defenses, helps a person to resist interseasonal viral diseases. Vitamin C is involved in the renewal of blood cells and general cleansing of the flow. The substance controls the density of the bones and does not allow them to break (crumble). Participates in the prevention of infertility and the treatment of pathological abnormalities.
- Retinol is another natural antioxidant that best affects the condition of the skin. Due to the systematic reception of onions, the self-cleaning of the epidermis is improved, dead scales are removed, the water balance is normalized. Also, vitamin A affects the human central nervous system, eliminating anxiety, nervosa, feelings of false fear. Retinol improves fat and, consequently, the quality of milk of a nursing mother. Thanks to the element, all tissues of the body are renewed.
- Tocopherol - in other words, this substance is called vitamin E. It is not surprising that it also belongs to the number of antioxidants and bactericidal elements. Vitamin E is responsible for the digestibility of fats and proteins. It strengthens the immune system, cleanses the liver of free radicals, is an excellent prevention of cancer diseases. Participates in the production of red blood cells, gently opens the blood vessels and stimulates the neurons of the brain. All this leads to a better mental activity, memory, concentration.
- Thiamine - a substance stimulates the reproductive system in women and men. The element is called vitamin B1, it is necessary for normal reproductive activity. Thiamine increases spermatogenesis, thereby enhancing the ability to conceive. Onions are recommended for families that cannot reproduce offspring. Also, vitamin B1 protects the skin from the action of ultraviolet radiation and frost, is involved in the renewal and formation of the central nervous system. Without this substance, the transfer of genetic data through cells becomes impossible.
- Riboflavin - vitamin B2, which is required by the human body for the formation of the peripheral nervous system. Riboflavin is actively involved in hematopoietic activity, enriches the bloodstream with oxygen. Without this substance, the adrenal glands cannot function properly. Vitamin is needed to strengthen vision, it protects the orbit from the detrimental effects of UV rays. Лук необходимо кушать во избежание развития катаракты.
- Фолиевая кислота — отвечает за формирование нервной трубки, которая ведёт к плоду беременной девушки. Витамин В9 контролирует фертильность, усиливая её. Without folic acid, it is impossible to form human DNA. The substance is necessary for the assimilation of proteins and the transformation of carbohydrates into energy, not fat.
- Nicotinic acid - controls cholesterol, does not allow harmful substances to be deposited on the walls of blood vessels and clog the blood channels. This leads to the prevention of the formation of thrombosis, varicose veins, thrombophlebitis. Vitamin PP is needed for a person to treat diabetes, arthritis and osteoporosis. The substance produces energy and saves energy for the whole day.
- Water - it is interesting that onions belong to products in which water takes up most of the volume. She is given 86%. At the same time, in combination with natural sugars and fiber in humans, the activity of the digestive system is normalized. Onion accelerates metabolic processes, contributing to accelerated weight loss. The auxiliary effect is also achieved thanks to pectin, proteins, starch, organic acids.
benefit and harm of red cabbage
The benefits of onions for children
- Many modern parents are aware of the beneficial qualities of onions, so they try to acquaint their child with this vegetable crop as soon as possible. Children product is shown, ranging from 3 years.
- If you wish to treat the child before the specified period. Look for recommendations on feeding children from seven months of age. If the vegetable marrows, carrots, and potatoes were already fed, the onions are given in boiled form.
- Despite all the valuable qualities, it is not recommended to treat kids with raw vegetables. Otherwise, the quantity should be minimal. Combine the vegetable with salads, soup, bread and other foods. Such a move will relieve the mucous membranes of internal organs from irritation and increase the absorption of onions.
- In addition to the consumption in food, for the treatment of ailments using juice based on vegetable culture. It is used as a compound for cough and sore throat, runny nose, in the form of inhalation to relieve airway mucus and spasms. However, such actions can be performed at the onset of 3 years and only after the approval of a pediatrician.
- To reduce the irritation that often appears on the walls of the organs of the gastrointestinal tract, onions are given to the fumes after taking the main meal. Also, culture is necessarily combined with honey and milk.
- The same applies to the treatment of boiled onion cough. The child should eat the composition, combining with water or milk. To improve the taste, the mass is combined with any sweetener (granulated sugar, jam, honey, etc.).
- During the spread of seasonal viral infections, the child is automatically at risk. To protect the child, chop a head or two onions into circles, lay them on a plate and place in the room. In such a simple way you will conduct a general disinfection of the room.
- In the process of aromatherapy, onions have a beneficial effect on all body functions. Essential oils that are part of, are responsible for moisturizing the mucous membranes of the nasopharynx, facilitate breathing. Sometimes parents inhale onion juice mixed with water, but such procedures do not give a lasting result.
- In order to avoid harm that may be caused to the child, it is necessary to monitor the use of the vegetable by the child. It should be understood that onions are acute products that strongly affect the mucous systems of the digestive system. As a result of uncontrolled intake, abdominal pain may occur.
the benefits and harm of kohlrabi
The benefits of onions for pregnant women
- Pregnant girls and during lactation eating onions should be carried out with extreme caution. To do this, consult your doctor. With regular use of the allowed norm, you can overcome vitamin deficiency and strengthen the immune system.
- Onions in a short time meets the body's need for ascorbic and nicotinic acids. Vegetable effectively protects a woman in a responsible period from seasonal colds. The positive effect is achieved through phytoncides.
- The presence of folic acid has a positive effect on the formation of the nervous system of the baby. Vegetable helps woman gently cope with constipation. Failure to comply with the norms of consumption will lead to inflammatory processes of the mucous.
- In this case, overeating onions threatens the formation of ulcers, gastritis or heartburn. It is also not recommended to give the product to children under 3 years old. Heat-treated onions are allowed in the diet of babies from 7 months. During lactation, the vegetable can change the taste of milk, so it is worth reducing the consumption of the product at this time.
The benefits of onions for men
- Onions are valued for their unique properties not only for the whole body, but also for the stronger sex in particular. It is highly recommended to consume fresh vegetable for men.
- Juice has a number of useful enzymes necessary for the male body. The composition restores reproductive function and potency. Increases the production and burning of sperm, stimulates libido.
benefit and harm of black radish
The benefits of onions for the liver
- The benefits of onions are proven for the liver. Vegetable qualitatively cleanses the body of toxins and slagging. To do this, the product must be consumed raw with a sufficient amount of water.
- With such a diet it is allowed to heat heat onions. The product needs to be consumed with sugar. The composition effectively removes toxic substances from the gallbladder and liver.
The benefits of onions for the heart
- Onions are famous for the abundance of vitamins of the subgroup B and potassium. The high content of enzymes is necessary for the normal functioning of the cardiovascular system.
- Regular eating of onions improves the quality of blood vessels and increases the blood formation process. Often a vegetable is used to treat hypertension.
The benefits of onions for the brain
- Studies have shown that the valuable composition of onions is necessary for brain activity. Consumption of the product in small quantities rejuvenates the fabric of gray matter.
- As a result of such reactions in humans, the memory improves markedly, a more positive mood appears. Onions slow down the aging process of tissues. Vegetable fibers are easily absorbed by the body.
The benefits of onions for diseases
- For breast cancer patients, onion consumption has positive results. Vegetable resists the active reproduction of harmful cells.
- Calcium contained in onions, easily absorbed by the body, the vegetable is recommended to combat osteoporosis. The product must be included in the diet for gout and prevention of renal diseases.
The benefits of onions for diabetics
- The properties of onions are invaluable for diabetics of all types. The product in the short term reduces the level of glucose in the blood due to the inclusion of nicotinic acid.
- Daily consumption in any form will help people who can not do without insulin. The product helps a person to live without the injection. The effect of onions is not immediately apparent.
Harm and contraindications of onions
- In addition to the benefits, onions have a specifically unpleasant smell, which many do not like. Also, a vegetable with overeating irritates the mucous membrane of internal organs, which can cause a number of troubles.
- If you have problems with the digestive tract, you should refrain from onion consumption. Abuse of vegetables for a healthy person is fraught with the development of asthma attacks and unstable blood pressure.
- It is forbidden to eat onions with chronic and acute ailments of the liver and kidneys, gastric ulcer, duodenal ulcer, increased acidity in the stomach, diseases of the cardiovascular system, hypertension.
To date, the beneficial and harmful qualities of onions have been thoroughly studied. Nevertheless, the culture still surprises scientists with its effectiveness in dealing with many ailments.
the benefits and harm of garlic