Azalea, in principle, is a capricious flower and sharply reacts to a microclimate violation and a negligent attitude, and if it happens to get sick, then you need to have patience and strength, and it is good to try to save your beautiful room. Determine what are the diseases of azalea room, how they appear and how you can protect yourself from them.
The first group consists of fungal diseases, and their name speaks for itself, the causative agents are fungal bacteria. In order to distinguish them, we will provide brief information about the effects and symptoms of the most common fungal infections.
Fusarium causes yellowing of the stem and leaves of the plant, and the formation of a pale pink bloom on the root collar. In this case, it is worth contacting a specialized store and buy an insecticide remedy, the best solution is a base solution of 0.2%.
A manifestation of verticillis is the darkening of the base of the plant and from this ailment it dies very quickly, so you should apply for medical preparations immediately. If verticillis is detected, it is also necessary to immediately isolate the infected plant, since the infection quickly passes to other plants.
Alternaria is characterized by the formation of brown spots of various sizes and shapes. To deal with it you need to stock up Bordeaux liquid.
Evidence of plant infection with septoria is red-yellow with a black mid-spot. It is treated with a fungicide, but with the start of treatment in no case can not be delayed.
Late blight is a root rot, which quickly and confidently moves to the stem and leaves, thereby causing the plant to die from complete decay. The alarm is a falling off of the kidneys and twisting of the leaves. For treatment, it is necessary to loosen the soil, check the roots and apply fitoverm or bordeaux liquid.
Phyllosis is a specific and dangerous disease, which is manifested by the formation of spots on the leaves brown or ash-gray with a brown contour, from the middle of which small balls fall - the sporangi. Foundation solution and topsin-M solution in turn - this is the treatment of the disease.
And the last fungal infection that is worth paying attention to is chalcosporosis. It leads to the formation of white bloom on the top of the sheet and brown-red spots on the bottom. The alternate treatment with a foundation and a solution of Ditan will help overcome the danger and reanimate the azalea.
Diseases due to incorrect care for azalea
The next group of diseases are those that arise through the fault of the owners, that is, through improper care. Azalea is very sensitive to irrigation, temperature and lighting, so these factors need to pay the most attention.
If it becomes noticeable that the leaves dry and curl, and then fall off, then, most likely, the plant lacks moisture or the air temperature in the room is too high. If the room is hot and dry, as often happens in the autumn-winter period when heating devices are in use, then azaleas need to be provided with daily spraying, twice a day. Watering should be regular and moderate, the topsoil should dry out before watering. If these conditions are not met, then azalea quickly suffers from necrosis or mixed chlorosis.
When necrosis leaves become brown, and the main vein dies, respectively, the leaf also. The cause of the disease is a low temperature or a sharp temperature jump, a draft for example. Azalea should be protected from drafts, do not put on windowsills, which often open.
A sign of the presence of mixed chlorosis are yellow spots on the edges of the leaves. It can be caused by two factors: a lack of nutrients due to a prolonged lack of fertilizer in the soil, or too intense and frequent watering. It is necessary to analyze the previous care of the plant and adjust it.
And in the third category of diseases are grouped, which can be considered the most unpleasant and whose pathogens are pests. The risk of such a problem increases significantly when placed in the neighborhood of a plant brought from the garden, or generally of dubious origin. Most often, a sign of the presence of parasites is leaf fall, in which case it is necessary to immediately inspect the plant for the presence of small insects. There are other signs, and they are inherent in individual diseases.
It is easier to identify the spider mite, it gives out itself as a thin spider web on the lower part of the leaflets. The leaves suffer from a lack of juice and become gray-brown in color, and after a while they fall off. To overcome the ailment, it is necessary to treat the plant with agravertine or aktellik, and if the disease is not started and diagnosed at the initial stage, then washing with soapy water can help.
An Asian garden hanger is dangerous in that it eats small holes in the leaves, and if it is not stopped in time, it leaves only streaks of them that dry quickly and disappear. You can overcome the pest diazinonom.
The Azalieva moth leaves on the leaves of its pupae, twisting them into leaves in a kind of tube. The leaves wither and fall, and sulfur will help to cope with the situation.
Black thrips was previously called the greenhouse, as it was found only in greenhouses, but today it is noticed in the open ground. The parasite gnaws through the holes in the leaves of the plant, but it can be identified with the fact that on the upper side of the hole have a gray border, and on the lower side - black. The leaves suffer, dry and fall, the flower loses an attractive appearance.
The most common misfortune for the owners of azaleas is the rhododendron bug, which causes the formation of spots on the front side of the leaf, and lays its eggs on the bottom, behind which you can detect its presence. Diazine will help to overcome it.
Azalea disease treatment
How to save azalea and how to treat azalea from pests for convenience are indicated in the presented descriptions of diseases, however, given the pace of development of the industry and the achievements of botanists and chemists, almost every tool has a considerable number of analogues, domestic or foreign. When contacting the store, it is worthwhile to describe the problem to the seller-consultant and not to hesitate to ask for advice on its solution.
The main cause of azalea diseases is inadequate care and neglect of the rules of cultivation. A beautiful plant cannot remain so without spending certain resources on it. It is necessary to water properly, to provide the necessary amount of light and heat, as well as fresh air, not to expose it to drafts, cold and excess fertilizer. If it was not possible to avoid the disease, the treatment should begin immediately, until irreparable harm was given.
The infections caused by fungi include:
- Fusarium In this case, the leaves of the plant and the stem turn yellow and wither, and on the root collar you can find a pink patina. In this case, it is impossible to do without insecticide treatment and it is best to use a 0.2% solution of basezol.
- Vertsellez It is possible to diagnose this disease by darkening at the base. At the same time the plant dies very quickly, and the risk of infection of other flowers increases.
- Alternaria It is characterized by brown color spots of various shapes and parameters. How to save Azalea in this case? Process Bordeaux liquid.
- Septoria. You will recognize this ailment by stains of a reddish-yellow color with black inclusions inside. Insufficient illumination, untimely pruning, excessive humidity of air and soil - all these factors can lead to the occurrence of this disease, as well as late feeding with nitrogen. What to do in this case? Apply fungicide.
- Late blight. It is a root rot that spreads from the roots to the leaves and buds. The former change color, twist and dry, and the kidneys die. To combat, increase the air permeability of the soil and use fitoverm or Bordeaux mixture.
- Phyllosis. This disease causes the appearance on the leaves of dark brown or ash-gray with a brown rim spots, from which the sporangia balls fall out. To cope with the disease, you can use a 0.2% solution of basezol, alternating it with a 0.15% solution of topsin-M.
- Cercospora At the same time, dark brown spots with a red rim appear on the underside of the sheet, and a gray patina appears on top. The treatment consists of alternating the foundation and the solution of ditan.
Diseases caused by inappropriate content
If you, like me, wonder why Azaleas dry and fall leaves, then the whole thing may be in insufficient watering and high temperature of the air in the room. This flower is quite whimsical and immediately responds to changing conditions of detention. Water the plant when the soil dries slightly from the top, and in the winter and summer periods, when it is hot in the room, you spray it daily and even twice a day.
Improper care can trigger diseases such as:
- Necrosis. With this disease, the leaves turn brown, and the main vein dies. The reason - a sharp decrease in temperature. To get sick, the flower is enough to stay in the cold draft.
- Mixed chlorosis The main symptom is yellow spots on the edges of the leaves. Perhaps you have not fed your Azalea for a long time, or you have watered it too much and too often.
If you can not understand why Azalea sheds leaves, try to inspect them for the presence of insects, especially if it grows in open ground or adjacent to the window sill with flowers brought from the garden to the house. This flower can amaze:
- Spider mite You will easily understand this through a thin web covering the bottom of the sheet. Deprived of juice, they get brownish-gray color and fall off. Treat the plant with agravertine or aktellik. At first, washing with soapy water can help.
- Asian garden worm. Makes holes in young leaves, and in severe cases leaves only streaks from them. Destroyed by diazinon.
- Furrowed weevil. This pest infects the roots, leading to wilting and death of the plant. Use Carbaphos, Basudin to combat it.
- The azalea mole This parasite spins leaves into a tube when preparing for pupation. As a result, they dry up and fall off, and sulfur can help in this matter.
- Trippe greenhouse. Black thrips used to be distributed only in greenhouses, and today it has been found in the open ground. The insect makes holes in the leaves, while on the back they are gray and on the bottom black. Subsequently, they turn yellow and fall, disfiguring the flower.
- Rhododendron bug. It belongs to the main pests of Azaleas. After its detrimental effect, the leaves remain discolored spots, and on the reverse side the insect lays eggs. Destroyed by diazine.
In principle, any pests can be fought only with the help of fungicides. If in doubt, consult with the seller and he will advise you the most suitable drug, and then you will share your experiences with me and the readers.
Remember that Azalea does not tolerate direct sunlight, it feels good at a temperature of + 18–22 ° C in the summer and + 12–16 ° C in the winter. It should be watered with well-settled tap or rain water, to ensure peace for the winter.
After flowering, be sure to thin the crown, remove faded buds, prune long and weak shoots. Timely feed the plant and transplant to a new soil. Only under such conditions will it please you with green foliage and lush color. I hope my Azalea comes to life and I can reanimate it with the help of your advice. Waiting for feedback. Good luck!
What to do if azalea disappears, major flower diseases
Azalea (lat. Azalea) - a very beautiful plant of the genus Rhododendron of the Heather family.
Flower lovers admire the contrast of its abundant, lush flowering with bright green leaves.
However, azalea can also upset its owners, being exposed to a large number of diseases and pest invasion. The article discusses the main causes of azalea diseases and their treatment.
Signs of late blight and its treatment
If you notice that azalea leaves begin to change color, curl, dry and fall off, and also her kidneys die, these are signs of late blight. The reason may be increased humidity and high temperature in the environment of its habitat. Treating the plant, treating Bordeaux with a liquid or "Fitoverm", it is also required to increase the air permeability of the soil.
What to do if azaleas have white bloom, how to cure leaf chlorosis
Sometimes you can notice the white bloom formed on the back side of the azalea leaves, after which they wither and fall. The cause is fomoz, which occurs when improper watering of the plant and violation of the temperature in the room. What to do?
Countermeasures are spraying azaleas with a 0.1% solution of Topsin-M and a 0.2% solution of Fundazole. Repeated processing is recommended to be made three more times every 10 days.
Another problem with azaleas is the yellowing of the leaves. The reason is chlorosis. There is a disease with a lack of nutrients in the soil. Similar indications suggest an oversupply of calcium salts in a flower pot.
The treatment of the disease consists of the introduction of a complex plant nutrition. Used fertilizer for azaleas and gardenias. You can perform foliar azalea dressing.
Important! It is not recommended to place the azalea in places where direct sunlight falls.
How to treat phylocystitis azaleas
Flower growers often wonder why azaleas turn black leaves. Planting ash-gray leaves with a brown border or dark brown spots on a plant, from which sporangia balls fall, means that azalea is infected with phyllostosis.
To help the flower, alternately apply a 0.2% solution of "Fundazol" and a 0.15% solution of the drug "Topsin-M", and destroy the damaged leaves,
On azalea leaves, dark brown spots, treatment of goleosporia
If dark brown and / or gray spots appeared on the leaves of azaleas, as well as blackening traces, feel free to make a diagnosis —gleosporia. The cause of this disease may be the defeat of black thrips, rhododendron tick, Fusarium disease.
Azalea carries the heating season hard, so regular spraying is indispensable. However, this cannot be done during the flowering period, as if water gets on the flowers, they may fall off. Spraying and watering is done with cool water separated by water for three days. The soil in the pot must be always moist, otherwise a tender plant can shed its leaves.
Stunted growth, the appearance of sluggish leaves, poor budding result from planting in an unsuitable soil mixture and lack of nutrients or microelements. The problem can be solved with the help of a transplant in a properly selected soil, as well as constant dressings.
What if the azalea started to dry?
Azalea dried up several months after it was purchased at the store. At first she dropped all the leaves, and then withered. What is the reason? If the twigs dry up, it means the plant dies, you need to prune the drying branches to a living tissue and try to create suitable conditions for it.
As already mentioned, the complete abscission of leaves can occur for various reasons: disruption of the root system, severe stress that the plant suffered when changing the location of the plant during flowering, during transplantation during flowering, from lack of nutrition, light, and defeat by pests.
The main reason may be insufficient watering and lack of moisture, which is why azaleas start to wrinkle and fall leaves. In order to saturate the dried over earthen room with moisture, one should lower the pot for a few minutes in a container filled with cool water.
The hardness of the water must be reduced - either boil or stand for 2-3 days. If the leaves of the azalea turn yellow, then it is chlorosis, the land is slammed with calcium. Water for irrigation is preferably acidified, the temperature of the water should also not be higher than 15-16 ° C.
A prerequisite for growing azaleas is sour soil, which can be prepared by mixing sand, peat and coniferous soil in equal parts, or you can purchase a suitable substrate in the store. The narrow pot does not fit the plant, as the azalea has a superficial root system.
The appearance of pests is a serious problem for azaleas
If the adult leaves begin to turn yellow and fall off sharply, the young ones dry out, and small brown plaques are visible on the surface, then this is a clear sign of the scythe sucking the sap of the plant.
Gradually, the leaves lose their color, become sticky and shiny, as if they were covered with syrup. The plant may die if it is not treated with an insecticide in a timely manner.
But if the scythe is just starting to hit the plant, it is enough to wipe each leaf with soapy water.
При чрезмерно сухом воздухе и длительном отсутствии опрыскивания может появиться паутинный клещ. Заметить тонкую паутинку можно в междоузлиях стеблей. В результате поражения азалии паутинным клещом образовавшиеся бутоны сохнут, листья скручиваются в трубочку и опадают. It is necessary to deal with the problem by constant spraying, as well as by treating the leaves with soapy water.
- Causes of leaf fall and healing. The curvature and fall of the leaves is caused by the defeat of an azalea with a mealy stitch. Save the plant is possible only by treatment with insecticide. Aphids can also be found on azaleas. This pest prefers young tender leaves. Aphids are destroyed by several treatments of the plant with soapy water with an interval of 3-4 days.
- If you started to curl up and dry out. If the azalea leaves began to curl up into a tube and dry out, then this is a sign of the appearance of the moth, which can be seen with the naked eye. The azalea mole has the appearance of a spindle-shaped caterpillar. It should be collected, and the plant treated with insecticide.
- Bleached spots. Noticeable discolored spots on the leaves leaves a rhododendron bug, whose length is about 3-4 mm. On the underside of the leaf, he lays brown eggs that safely hibernate in tissues. A new generation appears by the summer. You can destroy the pest using diazinon.
- Yellowing and wilting of leaves, rotting of roots and stems. This can be caused by Fusarium. Initially, the leaves become pale, then curl, the buds take on a brown color and die. In the cross section of the shoot, it can be seen that at the root collar, the cambium layer has a brown tint.
Azalea Fusarium develops intensively in a humid environment and at high temperature, affecting young roots in the first place. It is necessary to fight the disease by spraying with solutions of any antibiotic, fungicides (according to the instructions) or copper sulfate. Dissolve 1 ampoule or 3 tablets in water (200 ml).
Then, after 2 weeks, watered with a solution of potassium permanganate.
- The appearance on the leaves of dark red or brown spots, which gradually increase. This suggests infection with Septoria, a fungal disease. The spread of the disease occurs in the spring, which is facilitated by excessive moisture and heat, so it is better to avoid crowding of indoor plants and excessive watering.
- Vague ashy gray or brownish specks on the edges of the leaves. Indicates a defeat phyllossticosis.
Irregular angular spots of brown color with red edges, expressed on the underside of the leaf - a sign of cercosporosis. On the upper side, with a high humidity, a gray patina is visible.
Fight against diseases is necessary fungicides. In addition, temporarily should stop spraying the plant with water and reduce watering.
In order to timely detect the problem, the plant should be periodically inspected, as well as to remove damaged and dried parts. Improper care for azalea leads to illness and death of the plant ...