It happens that with proper care, the lawn is still not happy with its density, sometimes freezes over the winter and requires frequent subsowing. All this - the consequences of an incorrectly selected herbal mixture. When buying, we usually pay attention only to the information for which type of lawn the mixture is intended for (sports, ground, etc.). We are less interested in the herbs that make up the composition, especially since their names to the average buyer will not be enough. But this information is more important than the rest, because a lot of mixtures are imported into our country from Europe. The climate is milder there, and the selection criteria for lawn grasses are not so tough. But in our harsh climate European lawn often freezes, because it consists of non-frost-resistant grass. To avoid such problems, grass for lawn should be selected according to the degree of adaptation to the climate and soils of your area. Let us examine this in more detail.
What requirements should meet the quality grass?
Any ornamental grass for a lawn should be perennial, because a lawn is not created for one year, and it does not make sense to sow a site every spring in a new way. Of all the existing plant species most adapted to the conditions of the lawn cereal. But not all, but only those that meet the following requirements:
- Resistant to freezing.
- Externally decorative (rich green flowers, with uniform germination of shoots, with the same thickness of the cover, etc.).
- They develop a strong root system that does not collapse as a result of movement, is able to grow on compacted soils, etc.
- After mowing, they quickly increase the cover and respond well to mineral fertilizers.
- The ability to multiply vegetatively, because with the help of seeds on the lawn does not multiply.
The most adapted to the Russian climate grass
If we analyze all the plants proposed in the mixtures according to the five listed criteria, then of all the variety there will be only three grass names for the lawn that perfectly meet the conditions of the Russian weather. it bent thin, red fescue and meadow grass. All of them belong to the group of short rhizomatous cereals and have similar properties.
These plants are not afraid of temperature contrasts, especially during frosts in early spring or late autumn. Their root system withstands severe frosts and forms so dense sod that it is simply impossible to get through the weeds through it. Per 1 sq.m. develops about 30 thousand shoots. Herbs withstand frequent cuttings, have a high rate of vegetative reproduction, therefore, with proper care, the lawn will serve as no seedlings for decades.
Red fescue grows rather slowly, so the lawn will look poor for the first year of planting, but the plant will create a thick, even cover for the next season.
Meadow grass meadow is not worth buying in its pure form, because it slowly builds up the root system. It is better to take the mixture where it is the main component.
Bent thin is famous not only for its winter hardiness and unpretentiousness, but also for its rich dense green color, which gives the lawn a rich look
When studying the composition of mixtures in stores, choose for yourself those that include the largest percentage of these grains. Sometimes the names of the components are written on the package in Latin. Remember how these three herbs sound in Latin:
- Bubble thin denoted as Agrostis tenuis,
- The bluegrass meadow is Poa pratensis,
- Red fescue translates as Festuca rubra.
Additional components in blends
In addition to the three cereals, other plants can be found in mixtures that are suitable for the climate of our latitudes. All of them will have good frost resistance and undemanding care. But there are some disadvantages that do not allow to consider these herbs as the best for the lawn. And if you find their names in the mixture, then remember that they should not be the main component, but can be used as an addition.
We list the types of grass often used in lawn mixtures:
- Polevitsa shoots. The best quality is very fast growth. Minus - gives horizontal shoots that stand out light color on the background of a dark green lawn. From this lawn gets non-uniform color. Such quality is inappropriate on the parterre lawns, although it is not so important for the recreation area.
- Other types of bluegrass. In addition to the meadow, which we described earlier, in mixtures there are narrow-leaved, ordinary and oblate types of bluegrass. They are characterized by weak durability, i.e. in 5-7 years they require reseeding, and the decorative properties are lower (blades of grass are too hard and with a gray tint).
The light green color of the horizontal shoots of the bent-off shoots contrasts with the coloring of the main lawn grass, so the grass is not suitable for parterny lawns
Herbs with specific properties
There are certain types of short grass for lawn, which are adapted to specific growing conditions. They can not be called universal, but for certain places of the site it is recommended to plant them.
So y bluegrass high ability to grow in partial shade. Those. under garden trees and in places near buildings where light rarely comes in, this plant will rid the lawn of bald spots and pale cover. True, you should take into account that the bluegrass oakwood cannot form a dense root system, therefore it does not tolerate movement and frequent mowing.
Marsh bluegrass will save the situation on lawns with high humidity, where drainage was not carried out. It forms a beautiful green cover and develops powerful roots, but does not live long and requires frequent sowing. It can be combined with white volevitsy, which also grows well in wet soil. But its decorative properties are lower than that of bluegrass, and the life span is about 8 years.
For parterny lawns, on which no walking is planned at all, you can use dog povitsu. This is one of the most elegant herbs, because it has emerald green color and delicate, thin blade of grass. Such a lawn is also called “velvet”, because from a distance it looks like an expensive fabric. But with all the external virtues, the plant is very capricious. It lives for about 5 years, has weak roots, grows slowly and is absolutely not resistant to trampling.
If it is important to you that the lawn looked aesthetically in a month or two, then pick up the mixture, which includes meadow fescue. This is the fastest growing grass that closes its stems after 2 months. It can be used in pure form for a temporary lawn, which is destined to grow in one place for 4 years, because the grass does not live longer. In addition, the meadow fescue has weak roots, afraid of trampling. But as part of a mixture of this cereal can be very useful as an addition to the main grass. For example, the meadow bluegrass grows slowly, and until it comes into full force, the empty places will successfully close the stems of the meadow fescue.
Meadow fescue will save the owners when it is urgent to make a lawn decorative, because after 2 months the blades of grass form a solid thick carpet
Your lawn will be thick already in the first summer, however, a bit motley. Meadow fescue has wide stems and light coloring, which will look contrast against the background of narrow dark green blades of grass. The next year, when the main grass goes into rapid growth, it will simply squeeze this grass and take its place.
And you can grow an unpretentious lawn of Irish moss, read about it: https://diz-cafe.com/rastenija/mshanka-shilovidnaya.html
Herbs unsuitable for the Russian climate
In European mixtures there are herbs that should be avoided when planting on lawns, because they are designed for a mild climate. For example, perennial ryegrass possesses excellent growth, decorative effect and thick cover, but after the first winter your lawn noticeably “grows fatter”, although in Europe such lawns have been greening for about 8 years.
Perennial ryegrass (grazing) is able to surprise only for the first year after planting. Harsh winter he can not afford
Often found as an additional component of the mixture, bluegrass one year old. Its feature is unpretentious care and fast growth. But this grass multiplies by seeds, so that with constant mowing for the next year, it will not be able to give birth to any offspring and will free the ground for weed germination.
Another "two girlfriends" - pike turfy and sheep fescue - are good by all properties, except for one: they eventually form hummocks, and gradually your lawn will turn into a field of green mounds.
Properties of lawn grass
Lawn grass does not need to be re-sown every spring, and self-seeding is not affected by the degree of lawn density, this is a merit of tillering (sprouting), which is included in the set of useful properties of lawn grass. Lawn grass creates a dense turf, which prevents the germination of weeds and allows longer to keep the lawn in an aesthetic way. Lawn grass is characterized by the presence of small and delicate leaves, which makes it pleasant for tactile perception, causing the sensation of touching something velvety, soft.
To create a lawn, a very limited set of grass types is used, which, thanks to selection work, have been enriched with many varieties and forms.
How to choose seeds
Naturally, when choosing grass seeds, the intended functions and the purpose of the lawn are always taken into account, since different grass mixtures will be needed for different types of lawns. The main components for almost all grass mixtures are bluegrass, fescue, ryegrass and some other herbs, the differences between the grass mixtures are the result of a combination of different grades and proportion of herbs. The varieties derived by breeders have certain qualities that are beneficial to the lawn - good tolerance to drought or frost, bright light or shade.
Decorative varieties of bluegrass and fescue are popular, they tolerate a short haircut well and create a thick lawn that is comfortable for the eyes and has a rich green color. An important advantage of bluegrass - high resistance to trampling, a small minus - the slow rate of growth in the early years.
To give the lawn a darker shade, use just more bluegrass.
Another type of lawn grass - ryegrass - is valued for good turf, which makes it very useful when you need to restore damaged parts of the lawn. Recommendations regarding sowing, suitable soil type and other conditions are usually placed on seed packages. Therefore, picking up lawn grass seeds, we recommend that you carefully read the information placed by the manufacturer on the package, from which you can find out the composition of the grass mixture, the date of issue, the seeding rate, and other useful information.
A few tips on choosing lawn grass:
- seed quality must be certified by a national or international certificate,
- choose a grass mixture that is optimal for your lawn, taking into account its type and purpose,
- It is necessary to take into account the natural features of the site with a lawn (soil type, the factor of the presence or absence of groundwater, the degree of illumination, the direction of the world, etc.),
- When you buy a mixture not in your region, ask a consultant if it is suitable for the climate in your area.
What is better for lawn: grass mixture or monoculture
For high-quality lawns (usually parterne lawns), grass of one or two kinds is used more often. Herbal mixtures for such lawns are used less frequently, and always from varieties characterized by smooth texture and color. In principle, with just one winter-hardy type of grass you can create almost any type of lawn.
High-quality grass mixture should include perennial varieties of cereals with good germination rates. Each grass in the grass mixture has its pros and cons, competent selection implies that the advantages of some crops will balance the disadvantages of others, and thus the lawn will be more resistant to changes in weather, soil quality and other environmental factors. Therefore, grass mixtures are used to create a lawn, when there are adverse conditions (poor soil, shade) or there are fears that the main grass will successfully adapt to the conditions of the landing site. In general, grass mixtures are more in demand when creating lawns with their own hands, while monocultures are used for professional lawns, such as sports fields for football, field hockey, etc.
Types of grass mixtures
Grass mixtures differ in the varieties of cereals and other characteristics that give them different properties and can be used for different purposes. Grass mixtures can be:
- fast - with their help, you can restore a damaged lawn in the shortest time,
- shadow - adapted for planting in shady places,
- solar - antipode of the previous species, well adapted to the bright sun and heat,
- universal - to a certain extent, they combine the properties of shadow and solar grass mixtures.
Calculation of the number of seeds
Gardeners are familiar with the concept of “seeding rate”, which also applies to lawn grasses and represents the value that determines the minimum number of seeds needed to cover a specific piece of land. This norm in different grass mixtures does not coincide and depends on the varieties-components of the mixture and, in addition, it is influenced by soil properties and other environmental conditions. The value of the seeding rate implies that seeds of good quality with high germination rates are used, and sowing is carried out according to the rules.
Gardening specialists have developed a universal standard, suitable for almost all grass mixtures and localities, it is 50 g per 1 m 2, or if you take more figures - 5 kg per 1 ap. This norm takes into account that sowing may deviate from the prescribed recommendations in terms of the uniform distribution of seeds, germination, depth of embedding into the soil, etc. This article will tell about decorative types of cereals and herbs.
Types of lawns and their properties
The lawn is different from ordinary ground cover plants. We list its main properties:
- the grass must cover the soil in a dense layer during growth,
- it is important that on the sowed site it was not necessary to regularly hide bald spots, seeding new weed,
- plants are required to create a dense layer of turf, which will eliminate the growth of weeds,
- grass should look neat and make you want to walk on it without shoes.
Growing conditions for grass
Having dealt with the basic properties of herbs, you should think about which lawn is better to plant in the country. Experts recommend to proceed from the illumination area, as well as from its destination. Gardening stores offer many seed mixes that include different varieties of plants. If you decide to use the finished composition, you should know that the mixture may be different. We list the main types:
- Seeds for quick shoot. Green grass in a short time will cover the entire area.
- Seeds that grow well only in bright places.
- Plants that love shade. This type of mixture is best chosen for planting in the garden near the trees or on the shady side of the site.
- Universal composition. Such mixtures feel great in any conditions and quickly cover with green carpet any prepared site.
Green carpet assignment
Next, you should think about what is planned function of the site on which the lawn will be grown. This can be a lawn for decorating the courtyard, or a playground for children's games. It is important to study the instructions on the package with the mixture, where it is indicated under what conditions it is better to plant this variety.
For the playground, you can plant a sports lawn. In this mixture there are seeds of plants that are not afraid of active trampling. Such a mixture of herbs will be able to withstand a considerable load, without losing a neat appearance, there will be no “bald spots” on it. The seed includes varieties of hard and elastic plants.
Moorish or meadow set is a picturesque motley grass. Such a lawn will bloom during the summer, and flowers with bright colors will enliven the monotonous greenery. It is easy to create a Moorish lawn with your own hands, picking up plant seeds so that the flowers replace each other all summer.
You can also buy ready-made mix. It is advisable to mow such grass regularly to get rid of dried plants, and give the new one an opportunity to see the sun. At the same time, walking on the grass is not worth it, otherwise it will lose its appearance. Meadow grasses help to create a rustic style and make the site beautiful.In the meadow lawn there are many species of grass and flowers that replace each other during the summer.
Popular varieties of grass varieties
It is believed that the best lawn is obtained from the grass of one variety. Most often, in practice, grass mixtures are planted. In any case, to understand the properties of the future coverage, it is necessary to study the characteristics of herbs. Consider the most popular cultures that are currently used:
- English or pasture ryegrass,
- fescue (festuca) red,
- bluegrass (Poa) meadow,
- bent filamentous (Agrostis capillaris).
Райграс пастбищный является весьма популярным злаком среди ландшафтных дизайнеров. Тем, кто предпочитает английский газон, известно, что райграс – основа данной смеси. Это растение чувствительно к недостатку влаги, его следует регулярно поливать. Хорошо себя чувствует на плотных, тяжелых видах грунта. Due to its qualities ryegrass requires systematic care. It is important that when mowing the length of the remaining stems was not less than 20-25cm. This plant is relevant to the lawn, because it has undoubted advantages:
- Ryegrass quickly rises and covers the entire sown surface well with a dense layer of grass. Excellent rooted in the year of sowing. The grass is elastic and rather soft.
- Does not give in to trampling, and after loading quickly recovers and gains a fresh look.
- Does not allow weeds to occupy free space.
However, before choosing a ryegrass, you should consider its features. We list the most significant:
- This grass does not like temperature drops. If winter is given out without snow, it is likely that there will be bald spots on the rye grass pad.
- Poor resists fungal infections. In extremely humid places ryegrass can strike mold.
- We have already said that this plant does not tolerate irregular watering. If summer is sunny and rains are rare, rye grass can die.
Fescue is the most versatile culture that is added to most blends. In this case, the plant can be of three varieties: hair-like with short rhizomes, fescue without rhizomes and red long-leaf fescue.
This plant is especially popular due to the following qualities. We list the most prominent:
- Fescue unpretentious and undemanding to care. Its ability to regenerate refers to the middle - the plant can withstand a certain load, but is inferior in resistance to some other varieties.
- Fescue grows evenly, rooted fairly quickly.
- This grass can well withstand dry summer. Fescue zhuhnet a little under the scorching sun, but very quickly gaining strength after watering.
To use the quality of the plant most fully, you should consider the characteristics of each variety. For example, species of fescue with thick roots well fill gaps in the grass layer. However, they do not give dense sod. In this regard, such varieties are used in mixtures for parks, landscapes, most often on dry soil.Video about lawn in rolls or seeds, which is better
If you do not take into account the cost of the lawn in rolls, you can count him a lot of advantages:
- lawn grass is resistant to frost, so it can be laid until late autumn, without fear that the turf will not have time to settle down and will freeze,
- there is no need to wait for the grass to grow, the lawn immediately after laying looks spectacular,
- weeds on lawns do not appear in one or two seasons,
- The quality of the finished turf is very high, it does not fall apart, it has a good density and a uniform saturated color,
- the lawn in rolls is resistant to decay, drought, heavy rainfall and trampling.
Despite this number of advantages, the turf has ambiguous reviews. Firstly, it grows poorly in shaded places, secondly, under the grass may soon appear felt, which contributes to the spread of lawn diseases and spoils its appearance, and thirdly, the lawn in rolls is less durable than seeded. In addition, the roll turf device requires several working hands due to the gravity of the sod. Alone, roll the rolls, most likely, will not work, so immediately lay the costs also to attract assistants. It will be necessary to care for a rolled lawn in the same way, as well as behind sowing: regularly to cut, water, feed, comb and carry out aeration of the soil.
Of course, making a lawn with your own hands takes a lot of time and requires a lot of effort. This is the main disadvantage of seeded lawn. In addition, you will have to be patient: at the beginning of the summer, you will need to do all the necessary work to prepare the site for the lawn, sow the grass mixture, then conscientiously care for the grass throughout the season and prepare it for the winter properly. And only next year you will be able to evaluate the result of your efforts.
But the following advantages of a seeded lawn will be your reward:
- durability and resistance to the influence of the environment - provided that the grass mixture sown by you the grass you sowed is correctly adapted to the local natural conditions and the type of soil in your area,
- a variety of lawn grasses allows you to pick up a mixture of grass for any conditions (adapted to growth in shaded areas, trampling, intended for outdoor activities or for decorative purposes),
- in the case of bald spots on the lawn, you can always cut the grass,
- Seeded lawn is more unpretentious than the roll.
Sometimes it is not easy to decide which lawn to choose, because the rolled and seeded lawn also has its drawbacks. But no matter what option you choose, the appearance of the lawn will depend largely on how well you will provide him with proper care.An experienced consultant in a specialty store will tell you how to choose lawn grass according to your wishes.
What kind of lawn grass to choose to create a lawn with your own hands?
If you decide to try your hand and plant the lawn yourself, you have to figure out which grass is better for the lawn, taking into account the particular climate, soil and the degree of the expected load on the lawn - whether it will perform an exclusively decorative function or you expect to walk on the grass and play on it in active games.
According to the definition of a lawn, it mainly consists of perennial grasses of the grass family. Most often, grass mixtures contain a certain percentage of bluegrass, fescue and reygrass seeds. The various combinations of these basic components with a slight addition of other plant species provide a huge variety of grass mixtures on the market. An experienced consultant in a specialized store will tell you how to choose lawn grass according to your wishes and the conditions in which the grass will grow.
A rather stiff dark green grass that grows quickly and is little trampled. Due to the fact that Reygrass is much brighter than other types of grass in grass mixtures, on the lawn it will stand out against the background of delicate greenery.
Bluegrass and fescue get on well on the same lawn, complementing each other, these plants are best suited for creating high-quality lawn in any climatic conditions, on different soil types. Adding ryegrass is necessary to make the lawn greener as soon as the bluegrass and fescue gain strength. The main thing is that the ryegrass should not be too much in the grass mixture, otherwise it will crush the seedlings of the main lawn plants.
Types and characteristics of lawns
Today the most common are the following types of lawn:
- Parterny lawn - one of the most spectacular species. Usually it can be seen in front of the main entrance to the house or in the decorative corners of the garden. Parquet lawn distinguishes coating uniformity. This is achieved by using perennial low-growing herbs, for example, perennial ryegrass to create it. It has a number of drawbacks: it can completely freeze out in a harsh winter, it is undesirable to walk on it.
- The grass is grown in special nurseries and only two years later (this time is enough to form a lawn) goes on sale,
- Does not require careful maintenance
- High speed of planting (lay a lawn on the site can be just one day).
We add that this type of lawn allows you to forget about weeds for at least five years. This action is achieved by coating density (a weed cannot break through a layer of sod), as well as the presence of special grasses (clover, meadow bluegrass, breeder), displacing weeds.
Artificial turf - roll coating, which consists of synthetic threads. The differences of such a lawn are:
- Ease of maintenance (does not require watering and special dressings),
- It can be used in severe climatic conditions.
Despite the significant advantages, artificial turf is not very popular. This is explained by the fact that the herb lacks natural softness and specific aroma.
Sports lawn - it is a turf covering (a layer of land on which grass or steppe grasses grow) A feature of a sports lawn is high elasticity and density. Such a lawn usually consists of several types of grass: timothy grass, red fescue and perennial ryegrass. Sports lawn has several advantages:
- Resistant to frost and sweltering heat,
- It grows slowly, does not require frequent cutting,
- It tolerates mechanical loads,
- After being damaged, it recovers quickly.
Lawn mix: key features
Virtually all lawn mixes (including clover) are composed of three types of herbs. This is a red fescue, meadow bluegrass, and pasture ryegrass. Also sometimes in the composition of grass mixtures you can see the seeds of knotweed.
Some herbal mixtures have received good reviews. We will tell about some of them:
- "Liliput". A distinctive feature is the slow growth of grass.
- "Emerald". The main advantage - the lawn tolerates severe frosts, in addition, it has high wear resistance.
- "Ornamental". Mainly used for parks, as well as zones located outside the city limits. It can adapt to any climatic conditions.
- "Robustika". It is used to decorate roadsides, slopes, parks and squares.
In addition to lawns, which consist of special grass mixtures, there are lawns that include only one plant (monoculture). A good example of this type is clover lawn. It has a number of characteristic features:
- Grows well only in illuminated areas
- Recovers quickly after mechanical stress (running, cycling),
- It is growing rapidly.
We add that gardeners who decide to create a green lawn in their area, mostly prefer grass mixtures. This is explained by the fact that lawns from monocultures are very demanding to care (they often need to be cut, watered, etc.)
Adding an article to a new collection
It’s easy to get confused in the store at the stand with lawn herbs - huge and expensive packages with unfamiliar names will confuse an inexperienced gardener. We tell what herbs and mixtures are, what is needed and how much to sow.
Do you want to make a blooming lawn in front of the house, a playground for sports or a classic lawn, like in the garden of the British Queen? Each of these (and other) goals will require its own weed, and more often than not one.
Perennial ryegrass (grazing)
Perennial ryegrass, which is also called pasture or English, is found both in Europe and in Asia, more often as a simple weed. It reaches a height of 20 to 70 cm, has strong roots, practically does not trample and does not suffer from frequent mowing.
It ryegrass often becomes the basis for coverage on football fields and tennis courts, which also speaks of its endurance.
It is sown, as well as other grasses, on leveled soil cleared from weeds, into which complex fertilizers are first applied. The seed consumption during sowing is 35-40 g per 1 sq. M, however, these norms can vary in both directions if rye grass is sown in the composition of a lawn mixture. This plant is almost not susceptible to diseases, but it suffers from uneven moistening, therefore, for a beautiful lawn it is better to install an automatic watering system or regularly visit the country.
By the way, there is one more simple option - to leave everything as it is and in time to mow the natural grassy soil cover, removing the most unsightly and tall weeds. Of course, this is not as aesthetically pleasing as a real lawn, but certainly stable and without unnecessary trouble.
The best producers of lawn grass seeds - which company to choose
Among the huge variety of lawn grass is so difficult to choose the best. But you still need not make a mistake with the manufacturer, otherwise then you will have to admire the bald spots and incomprehensible weeds in the middle of a green lawn.
Domestic and foreign companies offer a mixture of herbs in a variety of price categories: from budget to elite. But how to check the quality of the seeds in the package? No, only trust in the company and its reputation decides everything.
For reference, we give a list of proven manufacturers whose products have awards for high quality and a huge number of positive feedback from customers:
3. "Green Square"
An overview of the popular varieties of lawn grass from these manufacturers can be found in our new article. But first you should familiarize yourself with the main criteria and parameters for choosing the “green carpet”.
Types of lawn grass
Sometimes it seems to a person who is not particularly versed in botany that all the grass is the same. However, skilled gardeners and landscape designers know a lot about high-quality lawns, and know how to choose the right seeds for their sowing. Let's keep up with the pros and understand the main types of lawn grass.
Perennial ryegrass (chaff)
The plant is thermophilic, but very viable and resistant. Belongs to the genus of cereals, loves watering and frequent cutting, as it grows quickly. The rest of ryegrass unpretentious. It is often used in various grass mixtures for lawns, where it pleases the eye with bright greens to the very cold.
- Excellent germination
- High resilience and vitality,
- Recovers quickly after shearing or trampling,
- Durable, plant life is at least 7 years.
- A large percentage of frost out - after a harsh winter will have to cut the grass,
- Requires frequent haircuts.
Timothy is small
Low-growing plant with narrow leaves, forming a dense and thick carpet. Unlike meadow timothy grass (which is also used for planting lawns), this variety of her calmly tolerates a short haircut, which makes it possible to give the plants a neat appearance.
The plant is cold-resistant, but it likes good moisture: the grass will more easily tolerate waterlogging than drought, so it is recommended for sowing lowlands and flooded soils. In other cases, you may need frequent and abundant watering.
- Excellent frost resistance - will quietly survive even the most severe winter
- Resistant to trampling,
- You can cut short to get a neat green lawn,
- Well weeds weeds.
- In dry summer requires frequent watering.
Lawn grass selection options
Lawn plants should be chosen with an eye to the harsh Russian climate. In addition, the grass must be durable and comply with accepted standards, that is, have a juicy color, short stature, a strong root system and fast germination.
Resistance to climatic conditions
Given the climate in most regions of Russia, perennial frost-resistant plants should be selected for durable lawns. These include red or meadow fescue, timothy, clover and bluegrass.
The summer heat of the southern regions is quietly tolerated by fescue - unlike bluegrass and timothy, it does not fade and does not require frequent watering. In addition, a cereal plant is much shade tolerant and not afraid of pests. In warm climates, ryegrass will take root well. It is capable of fast recovery, easily tolerates drought and turns green until late autumn.
In the marshland, lowlands, and on flooded soils timothy feels comfortable small. It is great for the northern regions, as it experiences severe winters without loss.
Clover can be called the most resistant lawn grass: it feels good in the open space, tolerates frost and drought.
Somewhat unexpected parameter for plants, but it is extremely important if grass is exposed to trampling. In this case, the need varieties that grow over a dense carpet and quickly restored.
For durable plants include:
- Fescue red and meadow,
- Ryegrass grazing,
- Timothy meadow and small.
These herbs do not require special care and have a strong root system. They are used in grass mixtures for playgrounds, park and playground lawns, paths and curbs, fortifying the edges of motorways.
They are used for decoration of flower beds, parterny lawns or as additions to more resistant herbal mixtures.
If you do not consider yourself an experienced grower, it is better for the lawn to choose herbs that are not too demanding in terms of care. You already have to do a lot of work: clean the area from weeds, debris, stones and level the surface, tamp the area and water it for two weeks before sowing. It will be a shame when, after all these torments, the lawn simply does not rise or the grass comes out with rare tufts. Therefore, the plants chosen for planting should leave you at least some margin for error.
If you break the lawn in the country, where you don’t plan to visit too often, you really need mixtures that do not cause much trouble and they will germinate in a solid carpet.
The bluegrass meadow rises quickly, but at first requires frequent watering and weed removal, and in strong heat it can wither. Зато у него высокая продолжительность жизни, если не держать посевы в постоянной тени.
Red fescue sprouts longer than bluegrass, but they appear much more friendly, and the grass itself does not require frequent watering and tolerates heat well.
Ryegrass is thermophilic and capricious: it needs moderate watering and timely removal of weeds. Frequent haircuts will be required, and after each wintering - additional seeding.
Clover - unpretentious wild plant. It grows very well by itself, has a strong root system. It requires careful care only in the first year after sowing. In order for the plant to settle down on the plot, it needs to ensure moderate watering and frequent removal of weeds.
Timothy is an absolutely uncanny plant. If you plant it on a rich and moist soil, it will damp all the weeds, giving dense and friendly shoots. The only care she needs is frequent watering and shearing (optional).
How much do lawn grass
1. A frost-resistant mixture based on herbs of meadow or red fescue, ryegrass and timothy grass can be purchased for 220-370 rubles per kg. Often it is sold in bags of 30 kg, that is, the package will cost you 6600 rubles. Elite shade-tolerant and cold-resistant mixtures reach up to 1900 rubles / kg.
2. For a kilogram of seeds for a combined sports lawn, you can give from 290 to 850 rubles. To create a football pitch, manufacturers offer blends that cost from 1,300 rubles. per pack in 1 kg.
3. To give you can buy the most simple lawn mixture of bluegrass and fescue at a price of 260-390 rubles / kg. A duet of fescue with a chaff costs from 400 to 700 rubles with the same package volume.