Shchitovka and pseudo-shield are small, fast-breeding saposos, capable of bringing a lot of trouble to house plant lovers. They belong to the pseudococcide and coccid families, respectively. "Turtle in miniature," shield aphid - so you can briefly describe the insect, which is under the power to fully occupy the shoots and leaves. The plant, strongly affected by the shield, is all sticky. This is a special substance (pad), excreted by insects, on which some fungal diseases develop.
Shchitovka - adult Mature individual
What shitovki hit indoor plants
If the Californian shchitovka is considered a potential threat, first of all, for garden trees and fruits (quince, pear, peach, plum), then domestic plants are attacked by some species differing in size, color, but acting equally destructive on the greenery:
Before you get rid of the scale, you need to understand that the insect acts selectively. Each species chooses its own plant.
So all the same: shield or pseudo?
The shield individual (female) is capable of producing a special wax substance. It covers the body with special protective armor (shield). The body of an insect from 0.5 to 5 mm in length and numerous eggs laying, giving life to about 3 thousand young aphids, are placed under the armor.
Armor plays an important role in the life of insects. It can be elongated and round, light brown or dark brown. The structure of the shield also differs:
- scytwalk on indoor plants is characterized by the bulge of the shell and its solidity with the body of the insect.
- the isolation of flat armor in relation to the body (it can be raised, separated from the body) is distinguished by a false shield.
Only shchitovki able to secrete a secret secret, which can not be said about their "false" relatives.
The shield shows a sticky secret, but there is no false shield.
Males and females differ in the degree of mobility. The female specimens of the shallows and the false guard, clinging to the plant, parasitize on it without moving, while the males are in motion all the time. Thanks to the front wings, migrate from plant to plant. False shields, as well as shchitovki, develop rapidly. Just a few hours is enough for the larvae that have emerged from the egg to disperse throughout the plant and begin to suck the life-giving moisture, infecting the flower with the products of their vital activity.
Signs of defeat green pets
- In the place of injury of the plant (suction) characteristic yellowish specks appear on the leaf or trunk. At first they are small, they grow as the insect becomes saturated.
- On the internodes, stems, fruits brown solid bloom is formed.
- Losing life-giving substances, the sheet is deformed, curled and completely disappears.
- The diseased plant begins to lag behind in growth, then completely loses the crown, dries out.
- A sign on a lemon, mandarin, an orange, except foliage, devours and fruits.
Shchitovka on indoor plants - photo strongly affected indoor flower
How to deal with the shield?
Proper assessment of the dangers carried by shimatki and measures to combat them should be the main goal in the care of plants. To plague insects is not easy. We must be prepared for the fact that even six months later, a year after the seemingly complete destruction, the parasite will again appear on the beloved cactus. You should know how to deal with pests also because both types of sap-sucking insects carry dangerous viruses. Methods of dealing with parasites are similar.
And this is a whole colony of shield insects
Attention! Well-developed, healthy plants that produce protective substances, "too tough" pests. As soon as the metabolism is disturbed due to excess nitrogen in the soil mixture, poor lighting, improperly organized watering and temperature, the plant weakens. Shippers and false guards begin to multiply actively.
If in the garden fruit trees are affected by mulberry shchitovka, a strict quarantine is imposed on all types of plants, bushes, seedlings. they cannot be taken out of the garden area. Tea plantings, stone shrubs and trees should be treated with pesticides.
- If a plant is struck by a shield on its own window sill, it must also be isolated: removed from the rest so that insects do not crawl.
- A simple chemical treatment will not give the desired effect. Dense shell covering the body, serves as a reliable protection that does not pass the reagents.
- One "chemistry" can not cope with the problem. But the folk destructive remedy for shchitovki - the composition of garlic, yarrow, sage, or just vodka - more effectively. Toothbrush, piece of fleece or flannels should be plentifully moistened in one of the prepared compositions, carefully wipe all shoots and leaflets, especially on the reverse side of the leaf blade.
- Shchitovka on Benjamin Ficus manually removed easily, because the plant has dense leathery leaves. With a strong defeat of indoor plants with a soft or pubescent green cover (violet, for example), such methods will not work: either the plant is thrown away, or the entire upper (aboveground) part is removed.
- After crown prophylaxis, the entire surface soil from the pot with the possible larvae in it is removed and utilized. In this way, a leafy plant is treated twice or three times with an interval of a week in order to get rid of parasitic insects for sure.
- They do not like the light, trying to disguise, hide. Hemispherical and soft pseudo-shield; palm-palm on a sympodial orchid (with pseudobulba) hiding in the axils of dry scales, lower leaves. Therefore, this part of the plant is carefully examined, if possible, the dry leaf and scales are completely removed.
- On the affected places after scraping the parasites a slurry of grated onions is applied. After 20 minutes it is washed off with a saturated soap solution. To do this, suitable detergents for dishes, tar, green and laundry soap. Foam soap should be left on both sides of the leaves for half an hour, then rinse with a hot shower (water temperature is about 50 degrees). But the kerosene-soap mixture is especially effective.
- Effective and combined methods of struggle. First, live plaque is scraped off by hand, then vodka rubdowns are made and, only then, sprayed with tobacco or garlic solution. In case of severe damage, irrigation is performed by chemical means Phosbicide or Aktellik.
Flap forms on the shell on the plants, which can lead to their death
The use of insecticides is shown in the case when the mechanical removal of parasites is impossible or difficult. Repeated irrigation with a wide-range drug using Aktar or Konfidor allows destroying adult individuals, as well as “youngsters” who hatched from eggs and survived the primary baiting. If possible, you can dip the crown of the plant completely into a container with a chemical reagent (Aktellik, Tanrek, etc.). Mospilan penetrates into all parts of the culture, is evenly distributed in it, even in those areas that have not been previously processed.
Attention! Insecticides (Karbofos, Aktellik) of high hazard class should be applied carefully using PPE. If there are children in the apartment, people prone to allergic reactions, as well as asthmatics, try to ensure a high rate of air exchange in the apartment or refuse highly toxic drugs, replacing them with more benign ones.
Taking care of a home rose garden or a tropical corner, regular flower inspections, timely identification of pathogens will help grow living green plantations strong and healthy.