People began to try to domesticate pigeons and use them for their own purposes from ancient times. At the moment, breeders distinguish several types of such tamed birds: decorative, postal, meat and flight. Pigeons of the last species can be playful - to tumble in the air, perform various kinds of tricks, etc. There is also an elite group of such birds. High-flying pigeons, which were selected over the centuries, breeders are often compared with racing cars.
Most Popular Breeds
In comparison with other domestic pigeons, such birds rise very high in the air and are able to fly very long at high speed. Previously, such birds were divorced by amateurs and professionals in large quantities. The breeds of high-flying pigeons have survived quite a lot today. The most popular of them at the moment are:
Unfortunately, there are no data on when this species of high-flying pigeons was bred. But, judging by the name, for the first time such a bird began to be kept in Budapest and its surroundings.
A special feature of the pigeons of this species is primarily a beautiful proportional figure. Learn the Budapest bird by:
- medium hull
- close to body plumage,
- smooth, equal in length and width to the head with a concave head and leaning forehead,
- bluish-gray, two-row smooth eyelids,
- long (up to 17 mm) beak of medium thickness,
- medium neck length
- wide back and chest.
The feet of the Budapest pigeons are short and colored red. The tail of this species of high-flying birds is flat and slightly bent. It has an average length. The same applies to the wings of representatives of this breed. A feature of Budapest birds, among other things, is the presence of pink blotches on the iris.
Photos of pigeons of this breed can be seen below. By color, there are several species of Budapest high-flying birds. Sometimes breeders contain pure white birds of this breed. Standards do not allow such pigeons to have dark feathers. In the stork Budapest bird, the body has a white color, and its wings are grayish.
Representatives of the belt variety have approximately the same color. But their wings have a bluish-gray tint at the ends. The head of such high-flying pigeons has the same color. The neck of the half-bird is pearly-spotted. There are also varieties of Budapest pigeons with a "wreath" on the neck gray, white or spotty.
The nature of the pigeons of this breed is active and lively. Their flight is very high, circular and long.
The ancestors of these pigeons were once a gray-rippling bird, bred in the pre-revolutionary Yekaterinburg. The standards of this breed were approved in Sverdlovsk in 1981. The color of these pigeons may be different. However, on the exterior, they differ primarily in the following features:
- dense plumage
- long body - up to 37 cm
- swagger head oval
- a medium-sized beak, the color of which can be black or dark gray,
- a strong short neck
- round breasts and flat back,
- tight and narrow tail with 14 tail feathers,
- little bare red legs.
The flaps of these birds are round, and the eyelids are gray and narrow. By feather color, Sverdlovsk high-flying pigeons are distinguished blue, black, and brown fur. Also there are completely gray-eyed representatives of this breed. Such pigeons are called deaf.
Flies Sverdlovsk bird is actually very high. A dove of this breed that has risen to the sky cannot even be discerned with the naked eye. At the same time, the Sverdlovsk bird can fly about 7 hours without rest. Pigeons of this breed, among other things, are also very well oriented in space. In the air, they rise in a flock, but at a height fly apart one by one.
Where exactly this breed originated is not known for certain. Some researchers suggest that it was bred by crossing local pigeons with a bird from neighboring countries. In any case, officially the Nikolaev breed was registered in 1910. Since then, it began to be bred in our country in almost all regions.
Features of the exterior of these pigeons are:
- average body size
- elongated body
- raised chest
- dry, smooth narrow head,
- short, often thick and bulging neck
- long, close, not too tight to the body wings,
- wide, straight, elongated back,
- wide tail.
The color of these pigeons can be very different - white, pockmarked, black, mixed. But most often breeders contain such birds with cherry-red or gray (with black stripes on the sides) plumage.
Flight at the Nikolaev pigeons serpasty. In the air, this bird throws its wings forward and keeps it parallel above its head. At the same time, the inner ends of the wings form a sickle. The tail of these pigeons in flight open very widely.
This breed was also bred at the beginning of the 20th century. and is considered one of the best high-flying in our country. Ancestors of this bird were local Permian pigeons and birds, brought by breeders from Izhevsk and Sarapul.
The breed standards for this bird are as follows:
- compact body of medium size - up to 34 cm
- Strong sleek body
- smooth dense plumage,
- head of medium size with a broad forehead,
- narrow, white or pink eyelids,
- powerful, raised chest,
- straight, broad shoulders back,
- long narrow wings lying on the tail
- narrow rectangular tail.
The color of the Permian pigeons, like most vysokoletnyh, may be different. However, the pattern on the body of such a bird, according to the standards, must be symmetrical. Breeders bred and monochrome pigeons of this breed. The color of such birds, according to the standards, must be symmetrical.
Perm pigeons by feather color can be:
- Chubar - with a white head or tail,
- hryvnia (with a spot on the neck),
- monochrome - yellow, red, white, black.
A feature of this breed is, among other things, the fact that it is excellent for breeding in areas with a harsh climate. The flight of these pigeons make a roundabout, as part of the flock. This bird rises very high in the sky. In this case, it differs simply excellent memory. In the article you can see a photo of a pigeon of this breed.
This breed was also bred at the beginning of the 20th century. Like Sverdlovsk, Izhevsk pigeons rise so high in the sky that they are not visible to the naked eye. According to external signs, the representatives of this breed very much resemble Perm. And it is not surprising, because they were one of the pioneers of this species.
The main breed signs of Izhevsk pigeons are:
- medium body - up to 35 cm,
- strong constitution and broad chest,
- long wings (must not reach to the tail),
- a small head, with females having an oblong, and males with a rounded shape,
- short legs,
- plumage without pattern,
- small beak,
- black, slightly bulging eyes,
- rectangular narrow tail.
The color of these pigeons is not as rich as in Perm. Their pen can only have black, white or red color. The breeders do not breed the pockmarked pigeons of this breed. Standards allowed only the presence of specks on the neck.
These pigeons fly in flocks and can hold out in the air without rest for up to 2 hours. On the day, they can spend up to 15 hours in the sky. If the pigeon of this breed beats off the flock (for example, in bad weather conditions), it will most likely, unfortunately, die. Sometimes the lost representatives of this breed still fly home. But this happens, unfortunately, quite rarely. Experienced breeders and amateurs recommend letting Izhevsk pigeons fly only in good weather.
Maximum flight altitude
Breeders and amateurs, of course, often arrange including competitions of high-flying pigeons. Such competitions are held both in our country and abroad. In this case, the main factor determining the winner is, of course, the height of the flight. All the rocks described above with this parameter show very good results. Such birds are able to climb to a height:
- Budapest - up to 1.5 km,
- Sverdlovsk - 1700 m,
- Nikolaev - 1-1.5 km,
- Perm - 1.5 km,
- Izhevsk - 1.7 km.
Instead of conclusion
The breeds described above are the most popular in our country. But of course, amateurs and professionals today contain representatives of other equally outstanding varieties. Pigeons also fly very high, for example, such breeds as Kazan, Odessa, Mordovian, Pakistani, etc.
Feature of high flying pigeons
High-rise pigeons are a special breed of birds, which is characterized by high levels of maximum altitude of the flight and its duration.
Today, more and more attention has been paid to the exterior type of birds: the structure of the body, the color of the plumage, the shape of the head, etc. Representatives of this breed are characterized by good orientation, quick adaptation to the regime, undemanding to conditions of detention, ease and simplicity in nutrition. High pigeons are easily distinguished by their unique body structure, in which all parts are subject to flight. Birds have small compact size, streamlined body, well-developed chest, small head, long, strong wings, tight to the body.
Birds of "high flight" are divided into three types:
- simple: Birds, which retain their flying qualities to the maximum, are characteristic of their ancient ancestors. They have the highest and longest flights,
- stately: pigeons, which are distinguished by high exterior qualities close to decorative, but low flying characteristics. Their representatives are used to participate in various exhibitions,
- battle: got its name because of the unusual manner of flight - the birds for a long time tumble in the air, and then almost vertically climb up.
As for the altitude, this characteristic is slightly subjective. There are special standards that govern judges during international competitions, based on an analysis of the size of the pigeon in the sky:
- the height of the bell tower is 80–120 m,
- the bird has a lark size - 200–400 m,
- sparrow size - 400–600 m,
- the size with a butterfly is 600–800 m,
- a small point in the sky - 800–1000 m.
- one cannot see a bird without optics — above 1,500–1,700 m.
Modern pigeons rarely rise above the “point flickering in the sky,” because, due to the lack of training and the poor environmental situation, they gradually lose their flight properties. Flight times have also decreased, which averages 2-3 hours.
High-pigeon breeds of pigeons are distinguished not only by the height and duration of flights, but also by the style of flight.
With a flying style of flying, pigeons rise in circles to a certain height and stay on the same trajectory for a long time. The advantage of this style is that the bird uses its power sparingly and, thus, is able to stay in the sky for a long period of time.
Persistent style involves climbing without circles. Having reached a certain level, the bird “hangs” in the air, as it were, and remains standing at one point. This style also makes it possible to achieve a longer stay in the sky.
Different types of rocks
There are many breeds of high-flying pigeons, which differ in appearance, origin, flight characteristics.
Breeds of pigeons often have local meaning, which is reflected in their name. Many regions and many countries of the world can boast of their high-flying birds.
Despite the name, the Permian breed was bred in the last century in Yekaterinburg. Today, its representatives have found wide distribution in the Urals, Siberia, and Kazakhstan. A special feature of the birds is a rather large, elongated body, a low-set, small, round head with yellow eyes and a neat beak.
"Permians" are distinguished by a well-developed chest, powerful and large wings, tightly pressed to the body. The colors of birds are different: black with a bluish tint, blue, brown or white.
The maximum time Permian stay in the air is 6 hours. At the same time, their style is not particularly complex: they just rise to the height without making any changes or turns.
Representatives of the Sverdlovsk breed boast a long, strong and powerful body up to 37 cm, a small head with yellow eyes and a small narrow beak. The body is covered with white, black or combined plumage, on some of the heads you can see a small forelock. The limbs of the bird are small, without feathers. The tail is small and narrow. Flights Sverdlovsk pigeons make groups, but at an altitude fly one at a time. Flight time rarely exceeds 4–6 hours. In this case, they simply take off, without figures and turns. The most widespread Sverdlovsk birds acquired in Kazakhstan, Siberia, the Volga region.
The bare-legged turmans with a beautiful tuft on their heads are the bright representatives of Serbian pigeons. According to some sources, the birds were bred in Belgrade, from where they got their name. However, many blue scientists claim that the Turks brought them to the country.
Birds have a small body, a characteristic tuft on the back of the head, a very short powerful neck that immediately passes into the chest, dense long wings, well fitting to the body. The plumage is different: from white to black and blue. “Serbs” on average carry out 5–7-hour flights. Some specimens may remain in the sky for more than 10 hours.
Budapest birds, which are called “turmans” - are flocks, they make their flight in flocks, and so dense that no individual is capable of tearing away. Air travel lasts about 5 hours in sight and at least another hour outside it.
The birds of this species have a small body, a neat, smooth head, on which a small beak flaunts, slightly curved at the tip. The plumage of Turmans is different - white, stork, white with a wreath, etc. Limbs powerful and short. They are very active, strong and enduring. In some cases, the sky can spend time up to 10 hours.
Hungarian birds belong to meat breeds, they are distinguished by a rather massive build, with a large weight of about 1 kg, therefore they are poorly adapted for long flights.
But, at the same time, the birds have a well-developed parental instinct, remarkably incubate and feed the offspring. “Hungarians” are well oriented in space, remember the way home, they can return, even hundreds of kilometers away.
Pigeons of the Kama region have many different subspecies inside the species; however, all birds are united by a small body size, a small rounded head with a neat beak. Extremities of red color, nails - light. Birds are well oriented in space, unpretentious in nutrition and care, easy to maintain, endowed with highly developed parental instinct.
It is for the breed that many blue breeders have fallen in love with. Birds of the species of the Kama region fly in flocks, own different styles - butterflies and sickle, thanks to which they easily and quickly conquer new ranges.
Bugulma or Chistopol pigeons are the leaders among all species of high-flying birds. They have white plumage, but on the back of the head there is a black mane. It is due to this color they are called grivnas. Grivunas are distinguished by external grace, good spatial orientation, endurance, and a powerful constitution.
Bugulms begin their flight in flocks, then the strongest and strongest climb up, and those that are weaker remain or fall to the ground. They are able to stay in the sky for quite a long time, 7–10 hours. Hryvunas are very attached to the house, almost never take root in other people's dovecotes, they always find their way to their native place.
Pakistani or Indo-Pakistani pigeons have a slightly dry, slender body, but a rather powerful and strong chest. The color of feathering is different: marble, black, white. "Pakistanis" have a good orientation, can be in the sky for a long time. The style of their flight truly mesmerizes: the bird stops, spreads its tail like a fan, then rapidly gains altitude, simultaneously loudly tapping its wings. Such an amazing game alternates with circular flights, which last about 5-7 hours.
Birds are easy to care for and not food demanding. However, their departures take a lot of energy, so the menu needs to be well balanced.
Representatives of the Baku pigeons are considered the most beautiful among the high-flying birds. They have a strong, streamlined shape, elongated head, thin beak, neat neck with a beautiful bend. Цвет оперения — белый, чёрный, смешанный. Но внешний вид для пернатых не имеет большого значения. Их главной «фишкой» является выход в столб во время полёта и зависной бой, который они прекрасно демонстрируют, разлетаясь вроссыпь по одиночку. For the first time the birds were bred on the territory of Baku, and later spread to many countries of the post-Soviet space.
Despite their ancient origins, the Pugachev pigeons still do not have official status. This is due to the fact that the species diversity of birds makes it impossible to finally determine their characteristic qualities and standard build.
Among the species you can find representatives with different color and constitution, various genetic instincts, style of flight, etc. Nevertheless, the birds have an external attractiveness, beautiful summer, are very simple and undemanding to care, not capricious in the diet. They have a remarkable orientation in the air.
The Iranian breed of pigeons is one of their oldest on the planet. All representatives of Iranian birds have an elongated, rather strong body, round head without feathering or with a small tuft at the back of the head.
In flight, the birds are slow and very calm. Obligatory elements of the flight are considered: going to the pole for a few seconds and the battle that can be heard, even at very high altitude. The flight properties of pigeons are estimated by the duration of the flight, it must be at least 3 hours. Some specimens can travel in the sky for up to 10 hours.
Tehran pigeons hit a variety of colors. In appearance, they look more like a hawk, have a similar constitution, have a strong chest, a small rounded head, a short but powerful beak, long, strong wings, whose reach can reach up to 70 cm.
A characteristic feature of the flight of Persian birds is considered an active battle with a further exit to the pole. Also, pigeons can climb to the height of the "fly" and hang there for a few minutes. "Tehranians" are a subspecies of the Iranian flyers. Large and tiny, massive and neat, black or white, calm or nimble - high flying pigeons are amazing birds that have been loved by many for exciting flights and unique flying “performances” in the air.
Birds, despite their excellent qualities and ability to demonstrate exclusive figures in the sky, are unpretentious in care and maintenance, do not require special food, quickly get used to the regime and remain faithful to their home for ever.
Description and some history
Looking at high-flying pigeons is a real aesthetic pleasure. These are representatives of noble breeds, which show surprising results in the ascents to a height.
Such qualities in these birds are highly valued - even from ancient times pigeons were evaluated according to two characteristics:
- The ultimate height to which they can climb.
- The time for which they are able to stay in the air.
Modern high-flying birds have high maximum altitude and flight duration. They quickly adapt to new conditions and do not require a special approach to catering. On average, these birds are able to be present in the air from 2 to 6 hours.
Important! World record for longitude of flight high-flying birds set in 1963. The English breed became the champions: they spent 20 hours and 10 minutes at the level of clouds.
Pigeons in flight
Only recently, breeders began to pay attention to the exterior of pigeons. Now, in addition to functional, aesthetic qualities are also evaluated: body structure, feather coloring, head shape. After such changes, many pigeons from the category of high-flying turned into decorative ones. These include Russian Turman.
True high-flying pigeons externally have a unique structure that helps them in flight. It:
- streamlined torso
- small size
- developed sternum,
- small head,
- strong wings close to the body.
Mostly high-flying pigeons are very well oriented. They do not need special nutrition and care. However, it is not recommended to give these birds very heavy food, because they need to keep fit.
Important! The best result pigeons show in the area where they were born. The current climatic conditions and the direction of the wind flow also influence the flight altitude.
Excellent representatives of the Baku breed of high-flying pigeons
How high can pigeons climb?
Objectively, it is quite difficult to establish the height at which champions rise. It is evaluated according to subjective criteria. So, the majority of poultry farmers correlate the size of a pigeon in the sky with a height to it. Such estimates are used in international competitions.
They look like this:
- the pigeon reached the peak of the city bell tower: 80-120 meters,
- a bird is no more a lark: 200-400 meters,
- feathery in size with a sparrow: 400-600 meters,
- similar to the butterfly: 600-800 meters,
- no more blinking point: 900-1200 meters.
Some farms use comparisons of flying pigeons with fruit. If the bird has risen to a height of 300 meters, it will be the size of an apple, at 700 meters - no more than a peach. At an altitude of 900 meters, feathered in size resembles a sweet cherry.
Important! Sometimes birds are able to rise to such a height that without special equipment they cannot be considered at all. This means that they climbed to the level of 1500-1700 meters.
The maximum possible height at which the pigeons climb is 1700 meters
Modern conditions prevent birds from reaching as high as possible for them. Due to emissions into the atmosphere, high-rise buildings, TV towers, pigeons cannot normally navigate in space. The duration of the flight also decreased: on average, it reaches 2-3 hours.
The diet of high-flying pigeons
Classification 1: flight performance
Pigeons "high flight" are divided into 3 large groups depending on the exterior and altitude. This classification is presented in the table below.
Table 1. Varieties of high-flying pigeon breeds.
Classification 2: flight styles
At the height of each pigeon species shows its flight style. So, they can be:
- Circling. Climb up the helix and remain at a certain height. There they are for a long time. An important advantage is the economical use of resources: the bird does not spend too much time and can stay under the clouds for a very long time.
- Persistent. The height is typed on one trajectory without unnecessary "circling." The bird rises and freezes at one point. This style also contributes to a long stay in the air.
- Figured. They rise, but at a sufficient height fold their wings and rush to the ground. Then take off again in a straight line and hide behind the clouds.
- Bocky. They can rise like circling or resistant pigeons, but they begin to tumble in flight. At the same time, they characteristically flip their wings.
The latter species is not very popular with poultry farmers. Such ascents require considerable physical effort, which affects the length of stay at height. That is why such breeds are rejected in favor of more efficient species.
Feathered in Flight
Classification 3: flight behavior
In addition to flight styles, there is a classification that divides the breed according to the peculiarities of wings in flight. Modern styles of sweeps are called:
- "Lark". They flap their wings in the same way as larks: they tremble quickly and sometimes hang in the air. The tail is wide open, and the wings are held strictly perpendicular to the body.
- "Butterfly". Similarly, flutter their wings, as in the previous version. But here is the setting of the wings: they are at an angle of 30 degrees from the bird's body. Moving in the air continuously, without hanging.
- "End". Birds widely deployed tails and "sit down" on them. At the same time, the chest is high, the wings are above the head parallel to each other. After climbing, they freeze in place and slightly quiver with the edges of the wings.
- "Serpasty." Identical to the previous type. However, in this case, the pigeon wings bend in the form of a sickle, and the head is surrounded by them.
- "Oared". Quite a rare species. Pigeons flap each wing in turn and gradually gain altitude.
Serpasty flight style
Overview of high flying pigeon breeds
A whole range of high-flying breeds differs, which may differ in body structure, coloring, and nuances of behavior in flight. Representatives of the most common breeds are described in the table below. They are known not only in Russia, but also abroad.
Mordovian breed representatives
Table 2. Overview of popular breeds of high-flying pigeons.
Were withdrawn in the early twentieth century. They are very similar in color to the breed of Perm pigeons. The eyes of the birds are black, the beak is small, the chest bulges out.
Representatives of the Izhevsk breed of the following colors are especially common:
- the black.
The trunk is elongated and rather large. Head and beak are small, eyes are yellow or whitish. Chest upturned. Claws black, tail oblate.
- dark grey,
- the black,
- collection of the three colors listed above.
The body is up to 27 cm in length, the sternum is volumetric, well developed. The head is small. The color of the plumage is mostly light, usually white. Eyes can be black, red, blue, orange. The tail is very long.
The highlight of the breed - different shades of body parts. The head, wings, neck are most often darker than the rest of the body, and the plumage pattern is more distinct.
How does the character of pigeons affect workouts?
In order to accustom the birds to a long stay in the air and to achieve good heights from them, it is necessary to train them regularly. The principles of training consist of the features of the pigeon character.
The following desires are fundamental for drawing up a training program:
- get rid of hunger,
- Faster to return home, in familiar conditions, to your couple or host,
- once in an unknown place, fly higher to see familiar places.
These traits were the basis for a variety of training programs. The experience of poultry farmers shows that the algorithms created taking into account the nature of pigeons are the most effective.
Miniature Pigeons of the Takla Breed
Long and high flight, somersaults and figures of "aerobatics" fascinate more than one generation and gilded breeders, and just lovers of the beautiful bird.
No matter how interesting flip-flops were, for high-flying pigeons they were considered a flaw. "Figures" took away the forces that are needed to a height, so they tried to reject them. Now occasionally there are still Turmans (somersaulting pigeons), but they are already attributed to another category.
From high-flying pigeons are required:
- flight duration
- extreme height.
In the old days, the beauty of high-flying pigeons was not so important, they had to be strong, resilient and graceful in flight. However, in subsequent years, the desire for outwardly beautiful forms gained the upper hand, and some breeds began to lose their flying position. By purchasing decorative forms, they completely lost their high flying skills.
Hours of uninterrupted flight are currently not maintained by many breeds. The world record is 20 hours and 10 minutes, but the average flight time lasts from 2 to 6 hours.
The style of flight of birds is divided into:
- circled. They fly in circles, gradually rising, and at high altitudes they circle for several hours,
- pigeons resistant flight. They rise upwards, not making a single circle, and already high in the sky as if they stand motionless.
Most high-flying pigeons have an excellent orientation and unpretentiousness.
A special approximate height scale has been created for them:
- bell tower - 100 - 120 m,
- Lark - 150 - 350 m,
- passerine - 450 - 650 m,
- butterfly - 640 - 840 m,
- the twinkling bird is like a dot 1250 - 1550 m.
The birds of this breed are variegated or have white plumage. Excellent orientation and long circular flights up to eight hours at medium altitudes. Persistent high flight is not peculiar to them, but sometimes these birds move up from average heights and "melt" in the sky.
Crested and barefoot turmans, according to some, were bred in Belgrade, while other experts say that they were imported by the Turks.
A bird that can make a 10-hour flight. Of course, this applies to individual instances, and the average time is 5 to 8 hours.
The pigeon has a medium sized head with a tuft at the back of the head. Very dense short neck quickly goes into the chest. The wings are long. The limbs are bare, of medium length. Color monochrome, often black, red, blue.
There are also certain standards for working with a high-flying variety of pigeons:
- A thorough and serious examination of birds for their flight training, medical examination as well as for compliance with the established feeding regime,
- Younger representatives of the species are separated from older ones, and, accordingly, young individuals are given greater priority and increased attention during training.
- Determined the required number of individuals in flight
- At a certain training stage, both pigeon leaders and outsiders are identified, based on their performance,
- Gradually, the load on animals is increasing,
- When training should be actively used. pigeons instinctive thirst for home as a training element,
- Changes in the behavior of birds, their characteristics and all results are recorded without fail.
Best flight performance of high-flying pigeons are manifested in the environment in which they were born.
A very important factor that should be taken into account during high and long flights are air flows, and in particular their movement, strength, direction, and the composition of the air itself.
Birds fly much better in clean and transparent ascending air masses, while they are not polluted yet. So it is recommended to release birds in the early morning, preferably at dawn. At the same time, pigeons should be expelled at the same time in order to form a conditioned reflex.
Feeding should also be carried out at a set time and only after the pigeons have returned. In no case Do not overfeed them. You also need to ensure that the pigeons do not wander for a long time on the roofs or on the street in non-flying time - this also seriously affects their physical characteristics. In their spare time, high-flying pigeons should sit in their nest or on a shelf, going down only for a short time to eat, drink, or swim.
Postage (sports) pigeons have the ability to perfectly orientate themselves in space, as well as a much greater attachment to the house compared to other species. In this regard, they have been used as mail delivery providers for thousands of years.
These birds are extremely hardy in flight and can cover the greatest distances without ever reducing the speed, which averages 60-80 kilometers per hour.
Their flight qualities are assessed as a result of special sports training competitions, which determine the speed of a bird’s flight at different distances. On such training competitions select only the best representatives of the species, possessing the longest flight duration, good speed and high orientation indicators.
During a training flight, pigeons are exposed to all environmental conditions: they can fall under the rain, into a snowstorm, during the flight the temperature can be very low, etc., in general, all those factors also directly affect the final result. As a result, success depends on the training of birds (the genetic factor plays an important role here), on the season, as well as on weather conditions.
If you want to prepare the pigeons for the competition, then this must be done in advance so that they have time to get stronger and get into shape before the start of the competition. Low-trained and physically weak individuals have feature quickly tire and get lost right in the midst of flight.
In winter, this species of pigeons flies very badly, it cannot be trusted to fly long distances, because at this time its reliability level decreases by 25-30% compared to summer, and the average speed decreases approximately twice.
The pigeon, if released late in the evening or at night, usually returns home in the morning.
But you can also train them so that they fly short distances at night and return at the same time, only in this case you need to put good lighting in the dovecot.
Recommendations to the content
The following standards are suitable for working with this species:
- It is not recommended to release the birds immediately after laying the eggs (1 - 2 days), and besides, you should not take the parents from three to five-day-old chicks.
- It is not necessary to release young individuals in the same flock with the old ones, except for the very first flight, when training for short distances takes place and young pigeons have no experience at all. Also avoid training pair pigeons - the male and the female should be tried to separate during working hours and release separately.
- You can not release birds in the city, especially in large. Need to do everything on open and visible terrain.
- За пару дней до начала полетов на дальние расстояния старайтесь сильно не откармливать голубей. Дайте птицам корму за два часа до вылета, но при этом оставьте их немножко подголодавшими, а за час до вылета напоите их водой.
- It is very important to inspect the pigeons before their departure, check for sores, correct the feathers, clean the paws of dirt. If the pigeons are sick, they must be brought back.
- Pigeons are transported in special spacious baskets. In some cases, they are collected and transported in heaps in a single cage. At the same time, the conditions of detention during this period are often far from ideal: the cells inside are littered with litter, and the birds are not given food and drink during transportation. So do not forget to observe hygiene and wash the cells after traveling.
The battle pigeons have a rather long and high flight, accompanied by a specific clapping sound, which their wings emit. Gaining height, they sometimes lose orientation and, throwing their heads over the head, crash to the ground, surrounding trees and roofs. However, they are quite hardy and can be in the air more than four hours.
Mostly young pigeons fly confidently. They rise into the airspace “in a spiral”, thus quickly reaching heights, where they hang for a while, and then begin to beat sharply with their strong wings and sharp, abrupt movements rise higher and higher, making somersaults over the head — that is, "the battle".
They show the best results in pair flights, while they have chicks. The best flight abilities manifest the female after a year, and the male in two or three years. In winter, they fly much worse.
Beauty of flight
One of the most spectacular performances that pigeons can show is considered massive take-off of battle pigeons, when at one moment they rise into the air, swinging their wings sharply. Taking off and making characteristic walking movements with their paws, they fly up to ten to twelve meters, turn over their heads, then fly up again, and so on. Such a high flight of pigeons can make several times in one flight session.
Many birds fly by tape - in contrast to the pole, in this case, the pigeon flies horizontally, turning over every 2-3 meters.
Although flight departures are not such a rarity, but mostly fighting pigeons fly alone. Boy pigeons required 1-2 weeks of daily workouts after the winter holidays to fully restore the lost flight qualities. Trained birds can fly for up to six hours or more.
The English Dove, or the English Quarry, is a fairly well-known breed of carrier pigeons. Because of the peculiarities of their appearance, they resemble decorative birds, which is largely why they are particularly popular. This bird has a large body and wide chest. At the same time they have a long high neck and legs. Plumage is often monotonous, light.
Principles of training, or how to quickly achieve results
Training each poultry farmer is independently taking into account the characteristics of his brood. General rules for learning are as follows:
- Work on the state of the pet. It is necessary to develop a feeding system that will not allow feathered to overeat. It is better for younger individuals to fly in the morning on an empty stomach (if the first lesson occurs at 6-7 am).
- When training, priority is given to young birds. Adults fly independently, and young ones need help. However, the "older" are sometimes attracted to the training of adolescents as traction. For example, they let out "old men" first, and young people are connected to them in the end, so that the birds can sit all together.
- Birds are released in small flocks. Each group rises up separately with an interval of 5-7 minutes. So for young individuals it is easier to observe and you can quickly find the "loss".
- We need to find a leader. In each group, a leader is determined who pulls everyone up. At the same time, it is necessary to find those who are lagging behind - those who do not want to fly. Usually the cause of this behavior is the deterioration of health.
- Loads grow gradually. In the first lessons, the birds are released from their hands at a distance of no more than 15 meters from the pigeon house. Gradually, the distance is increased to 400 meters. More experienced birds release 1.5-2 km from the house, and you can reach up to 5 km.
- One of the main principles of training is craving for home. Based on the fact that, far from the native nest, the bird is trying to climb as high as possible to see familiar terrain.
Summarizing all the principles in one workout helps to improve the physical form of growing up pigeons, work on breathing, develop muscles and improve spatial orientation. The most effective training will be young pigeons: those that have only recently begun to coo.
Training high-flying pigeons
Final Training Tips
In conclusion, some tips from experienced poultry farmers who can help newcomers achieve their goals:
- If the weather is good, pigeons are trained more than twice a day. You can train them in the morning and evening, as well as display in the daytime.
- The pigeon breeder needs to achieve perfect obedience from his charges. Birds must return to the pigeon house and enter it at the signal of the owner.
- In rare cases, the bird may return after a 30-minute flight to the pigeon house and sit on the perch for about 10 minutes. Wings are lowered by the pigeon, the throat is shaking, the beak is ajar. This suggests that the bird can not afford such loads and they need to be reduced.
- It is better not to look for the “losses” that have already disappeared 2-3 times. Such individuals have poor health or an innate habit of wandering aimlessly around the neighborhood. Their training will not be effective.
If the heredity of birds is good, they are able to climb to a height of 1000-1200 meters after 8-12 days of regular training. Most birds without good genetics will need about a month of systematic training. But there are such capricious individuals who are able to show a good result only in a year and only in the presence of favorable climatic conditions.
The best high-flying pigeons are considered individuals of the Permian breed. The breed was bred by golubevodami from Perm. The Izhevsk and Sarapul birds were used in the work, which were distinguished by a rigid wing and high flight ratings. They were crossed with Permian individuals. Breeding work continued for several decades. Samples were taken not only for flight qualities, but also for the exterior.
As a result of selection, medium sized birds appeared with a streamlined body shape. Feathers are hard, which allows the birds to quickly stand on the wing and reach the point, hiding behind the clouds. The size of individuals is medium, the limbs are short without plumage. According to the plumage color, individuals of the Permian breed are subdivided into subspecies:
- grivunas - white plumage, with gray impregnation on the neck,
- color chest - the main cover of white and blue color; on the collar zone there is a pattern that casts a red, purple tinge; there is a bright colored shirt on the chest, it goes to the stomach and part of the back,
- white-headed feathers on the head, tail and stomach in white; the collar zone is distinguished by rich shades of dark blue, black stripes on the steering wings,
- monochrome - pigeons can be white, black, red or yellow.
Perm high-flying pigeons can be in flight for 5-8 hours. For longer flights, they need daily training, which does not stop even in winter. Birds are released only in clear weather, a small wind for them is not an obstacle to flying. Pigeons-athletes can go "uphill" and stay in height up to 12 hours. They gain height by making circular motions.
Perm high flying pigeon
The bird is well oriented in space, very attached to the native loft. She always returns home in all weather and other conditions. Stop them can only birds of prey, hunters or land animals: making long flights, individuals land to eat. Permians never get lost.
Experts say that finding a real Permian who has good qualities is difficult. Purchase should be made only from reputable manufacturers that are poultry lineage. If the parents of the pigeon did not have high results, they recruited only to the average height, then no training, rational feeding, will force it to rise “to the point”. Flight qualities are inherited.
The individuals of the Nikolaev breed possess good flight qualities. They can be in the air for a long time, up to 9 hours. Specialists estimate high flight characteristics. Pigeon gains height vertically. He does not pay attention to the rest of the birds. Flies alone. Individuals are tied to the nest, but may lose orientation in space. They may be lost.
Nikolaev pigeons acquire good ability to fly, not only through training. They have hard plumage on the body and on the wing. Wide feathers on the tail and wings allow them to properly use the air flow. If the wind interferes with other birds, then it is necessary for individuals of the Nikolaev breed. They show their best qualities at a wind speed of 7 m / s.
Nikolaev high-flying pigeons
When lifting, the bird holds its wings in front of itself, the air flow itself carries it up. The diameter of the ascent can be 1.5 m. The optimal height for high-flying pigeons of the Nikolaev breed is 400-800 m. They do not rise to the height of the “flickering pigeon”. Training for the birds are beginning to hold at the age of 1.5 months. They love to fly. At the age of 2 years, they can move away from the pigeon house a considerable distance, but usually they return home after 2-3 days.
How to care for pigeons?
Birds are kept in the dovecote, which have access to the aviary. The room is spacious and bright. At 1 pair should be 1 m 3. Such a space will allow the birds to move freely and arrange games. An open-air cage is a platform, enclosed by a rabbit: they make a canopy out of it. The size of the enclosure can be any, but the norms for one pair must be respected. For individuals, all the conditions for training are created: