Now it is difficult to imagine the average Russian country house without potatoes planted there. It refers to the main products that each person consumes. To get a good harvest and provide yourself with this vegetable for the whole year, you need not just to plant and properly care for the plot. Another extremely important is to choose a variety that fits to a specific climate and land conditions.
A universal option is the Picasso potato, a description of the variety, photos and features of planting which can be seen below.
This variety got its name thanks to an unusual peel. It has a white color with bright pink eyes, which have a low occurrence, and therefore does not affect the quality of the vegetable. The mass of one tuber is 100-120 grams, they also differ in a smooth and rounded shape.
Picasso's potatoes have a truly unique taste, and many growers put the maximum score in this indicator. The flesh is creamy and does not boil soft. This variety is ideal for cooking absolutely any food and, among other things, it has a pleasant aroma.
Picasso's Potatoes: variety description
- The content of starch in this variety is at an average level and is 8-14%.
- Picasso's potatoes are late ripened. From the time the first shoots rise to harvest, it can take from 125 to 140 days.
- It should be noted that despite the relatively long ripening periods, this variety is characterized by high fruiting. With one square meter of landing you can collect up to 4 kilograms.
- In addition to all other characteristics, Picasso potatoes have a high degree of security for many diseases, these include:
- Viral diseases.
- Most often for this sort of threat of late blight.
- Most of all he loves black earth soils, so this potato has gained popularity in the south of Russia, Ukraine and Belarus, but can also be grown in other soils. Differs unpretentiousness to weather conditions and humidity. It tolerates both high temperatures and drought.
- Merchants love this variety because of their good transportability. Such potatoes are able to withstand long trips over long distances.
- Also, the variety has a high degree of preservation: it can lie down until the next planting season.
Picasso's potatoes belong to unpretentious varieties, but still require some attention.
- Watering should be done every 10 days, and the amount of water depends on the temperature conditions: the hotter the weather, the more moisture plants will need.
- As soon as the seedlings reach a height of 5-7 centimeters, they need to pile up and weed.
- This variety loves various potash supplements. Their presence will avoid the occurrence of diseases.
- Since potatoes are prone to the occurrence of late blight, prophylactic treatments with special chemical compounds are indispensable.
Picasso's potato, a variety description, photos and cultivation recommendations of which are presented above, is an excellent option for those who are just discovering themselves as a gardener. It has excellent taste and is highly resistant to many factors, while being easy to care for. Also this variety can please with good yield and long keeping quality. Separately, I want to note that the potatoes are not boiled soft during cooking.
Picasso potato variety description
Variety Picasso - late ripe table potatoes. Its main feature is the high yield and original appearance.
Shoots varieties Picasso medium height, dark green. Leaves - large, spreading with corrugated edge. Buds - white, small with yellow pistils, on one bush from 5 to 12 flowers. The plant is powerful, thick and spreading. Flowering passes quickly.
Tubers have the original color, which was the reason for such a picturesque name of the variety. Picasso's yellow potatoes with large pink eyes that go shallow to the root.
The combination of two colors - pink and yellow - was characteristic of many works of the famous Cubist artist Pablo Picasso.
The flesh is light yellow. Starchiness of 8-13%. The shape of the potato - oval, large.
Characteristics and characteristics of the variety
The following properties are characteristic of the Picasso variety:
- long gestation period - 110-130 days,
- drought resistant
- peculiar appearance of tubers,
- low starch content
- good consumer qualities
- keeping quality of 88-90%,
- high yield
- demanding to feed the soil.
The variety has excellent immunity, it is resistant to such diseases:
- twisting leaves
- viruses X and Yn,
- fungal diseases.
It is moderately resistant to late blight, and can become sick with Y NTN virus.
Productivity and taste
Picasso picks 8-20 root crops from one potato bush. Tuber weight varies from 70 to 150 grams, but usually it is 125 grams. 200-320 centners of Picasso's potatoes are often harvested from 1 hectare.
According to taste parameters, the variety was highly appreciated. It does not break up during cooking, suitable for frying, soups and salads. Due to the low starch content of this potato, mashed potatoes and dry potato flakes are poorly prepared.
You can learn more about the size of root crops and the yield of ripened Picasso potato bushes by watching this video:
Measuring the temperature of the soil at a depth of 10 cm, it is possible to understand whether it is time to sow potatoes or not. For germination in the soil are considered to be 3–8 ° C.
Caring for potatoes is loosening and harrowing the soil, hilling and watering the bushes.
Photo Gallery: Diseases and pests of potatoes
Potato bush can not be saved from cancer, you need to dig it up and destroy Potato leaf twisting virus can reduce yields by up to 50% Potato nematode - a disease caused by a small wormParsha is a fungal disease that affects tubers makes potato tubers inedible
Why agronomists choose this variety?
Gardeners choose Picasso's potatoes because of its following differences:
- the average weight of potatoes is 80 - 140 grams,
- potatoes have a high starch content (up to 10 - 12 percent), which ensures the possibility of preparing delicious potato dishes,
- the possibility of obtaining a good harvest is assumed, since one bush can produce up to 20 tubers,
- The taste characteristics of potatoes can be appreciated even by gourmets,
- a long period of preservation guarantees the possibility of using potatoes even in winter, so Picasso is recommended to buy for the winter,
- potatoes can be used for cooking any dishes, as it is not too boiled soft and retains its consistency,
- Mature fruits tolerate transportation perfectly, so they can be realized,
- Potato perfectly tolerates almost any weather vagaries.
The description of the Picasso potato variety confirms the possibility of obtaining a tasty and high-quality crop.
Advantages and disadvantages
Picasso is one of the most popular potato varieties. Considered variety has the perfect potato flavor and taste. In addition, long-term storage of the vegetable helps to ensure that it is successfully used in culinary purposes. Such advantages cause the fact that Picasso is often sold in vegetable markets.
Experienced gardeners also note the following benefits:
- increased resistance to parasites, viruses and diseases,
- manifestation of resistance to temperature fluctuations
- resistance to drought and high humidity.
The successful cultivation of potato varieties Picasso is available even for novice gardeners.
Picasso is a late ripe potato variety, so the landing should be carried out in the second half of spring, when any frosts pass and the air warms to zero temperature.
It is extremely important is the period of pre-sowing germination of potato tubers. For this, the potatoes are placed in a bright and warm place. Tubers are treated with special stimulants.
The large size of the bushes and potato tubers determine the correct pattern of seating: the minimum distance between rows should be 50 centimeters.
The potato variety Picasso suggests a certain approach to the care of vegetable crops.
- After the appearance of the first sufficiently high shoots, it is recommended to carry out hilling and weeding.
- The second hilling is performed after the appearance of flower buds. After about 1.5 weeks, massive flowering should begin.
- Prevention to protect potatoes from diseases and pests should be carried out regularly.
- For the successful development of potatoes, regular use of potassium is recommended.
- In the dry period, it is recommended to water the plants once every 1.5 weeks. The volume of watering depends on the air temperature and humidity level.
Proper care of Picasso varieties of potatoes ensures a rich and tasty harvest.
We study the variety of potatoes Picasso
Currently, there are hundreds of potato varieties, they differ in the region for which they are zoned, taste characteristics and ripening terms.
The late-ripening Picasso variety is very popular in the central and chernozem regions. This variety was bred in Holland, but it is also excellent for growing in central Russia.
In this article we will tell you about the features of this potato variety.
Let's go through its characteristics. This popular variety of late-ripening potato has shrubs about 30 centimeters high and large tubers with yellow color. Picasso potatoes can be identified by his eyes, which are pink in color.
The flesh has a cream color and has a great taste. This variety is characterized by the maximum possible number of tubers in one potato bush. Not uncommon when a powerful plant has 20 or more large-sized root crops.
Excellent taste qualities of the grown crop are maintained throughout the entire storage period.
The technology of growing this variety of potatoes
Of the cultivating features of the Picasso variety, it is possible to note its long growing season, which is 130 days or more. That is why the landing of Picasso is recommended in the middle and southern regions of Russia. Harvesting can be carried out depending on the climate in the region in September - October.
The vegetable grower will need to perform appropriate soil preparation. In the autumn, organic matter is applied, and in the spring, a few weeks before planting, the soil is fertilized with mineral fertilizers. Also during the growing season it is recommended to perform several fertilizing plants with mullein, as well as with ready-made mineral complexes with nitrogen content.
Approximately one month before harvesting, fertilization is stopped.
With proper care, Picasso's shrub may have a voluminous rosette of leaves.
That is why, when planting tubers, it is recommended to observe a gap of about 20 to 30 centimeters, which in the future will significantly simplify the care of grown potatoes.
With a more dense planting bushes begin to shade each other, which leads to the greening of the potato, and the plants themselves begin to lag behind in growth and soon die.
No additional preparation of planting material is required.
However, if the grower grows potatoes under the conditions of a short summer, then we can recommend you to pre-germinate the tubers, which will allow for a period of 20-25 days to reduce the growing season.
Use only high-quality planting material, potatoes weighing more than 120 grams are recommended to be cut into two halves. There are no difficulties in growing this variety.
One of the undoubted advantages of this late-ripening variety is excellent indicators of keeping quality of the grown crop.
Providing the right conditions, you can save the grown vegetables until the next harvest. Just remember that the potatoes must be stored in a dark room with a temperature of 3-8 degrees Celsius.
In the light of the tubers quickly grow green and germinate. To eat such a green vegetable is prohibited.
Variety Picasso - a great late-ripening variety, which will provide an excellent harvest. The vegetable grower only needs to take into account the requirements of this variety for additional fertilization. We can recommend Picasso potatoes to experienced vegetable growers and novice summer residents living in areas with a warm climate.