The children and I wait for the strawberry season all winter long, and when these berries finally begin to blush, we eat them in basins. But then the strawberry leaves ... Of course, it is replaced by other berries, but still sometimes you want to eat a sweet and sweet strawberry, or to cook something with these berries. No problem! The main thing - plant remontant variety, it will delight you all summer. With us he will not give birth so thickly, but regularly and continuously. I'll tell you how I take care of the bushes, but first I will explain ...
The repair is what?
This word means that the plant can bear fruit several times in a row or the entire season.. The repair can be not only strawberries, but also raspberries, as well as citrus.
Most varieties of rem-strawberries fruit twice: the first time in July, and the second from August to September (and the second time the berries grow even more). Because of this, the bushes are such a load that many at the end of the season simply die.
By the way! I call this berry a strawberry (so familiar), but in fact it is right to say - garden strawberries. So if you see the name “remontant strawberry” somewhere, you know - this is the same as remontant strawberry.
Growing seedlings of this culture
Yes! You can not only buy ready saplings - bushes, but also grow them from the purchased seeds.
This is done like this:
- Moisten the seed soil thoroughly (pour in up to 0.8 liters of water for every kilogram of soil). Soil, you can buy a universal, or take on the site of light humus.
- Stir the ground well, breaking all the lumps.
- Type soil in pots from 10 to 15 cm in diameter. Fill them almost completely.
- Spread the seeds on top, sprinkle with a thin (this is important) layer of non-wetted soil. If you have by mistake already been soaked, even sand will do.
- Sprinkle the top of the pot out of the spray bottle (only the smallest).
- Create a "greenhouse" by covering the pot with a can, glass or at least a film.
- Keep the pot on a warm, bright windowsill.
When to do it to catch the landing before the spring season? If you live near Moscow, Kiev or Minsk, Sow strawberries in the last week of February - the first of March.. If you live in the southern region, you can start earlier - even in early February.
In a room with a pot should be at least 18 degrees. As soon as the seedlings come through, arrange airing for them more often, and transfer the pot to the lighted room (or to the flowers under the fitball).
When the kids grow 2-3 leaves (not cotyledons), transfer them to a bigger box or separate “houses”. Just do not deepen!
10-15 days before moving to the garden harden sprouts, bringing to the balcony or veranda for 15-20 minutes per day.
This culture love sunny beds without puddles. The soil can be sandy or loamy, but not peaty or sod. Well fertilize it with manure and ash. “Kaliyfos” will also suit (a tablespoon per a “square” of a vegetable garden, put in a month before planting sprouts).
Successful predecessors: mustard, beet, garlic, radish (different types), carrots, parsley or beans. And after the potatoes, solanaceae, cucumbers and cabbage, do not plant this culture.
Planted "young" in the middle or end of Maywhen make sure that the night frosts are no longer there and they will not return. Bushes can also be planted before winter (from August to October).
It can be planted with a carpet (on all sides, leaving between bushes of 20 cm each) or in rows (on one side, leave 20 cm each, on the other, 70 row spacing). The day is not sunny. Transfer seedlings to moist pits using the transshipment method. Make the pits deep so that the roots do not wrap, and at the end press down the ground a little.
First water the bushes every day, then make 3-day pauses.
Care for this difficult strawberry
- Watering. Bring in water only warmed by the sun, in the evening and early in the morning. Make sure that the soil was wetted by 3 cm (no need to go deeper, the roots of the culture are superficial).
- Mulching. This procedure helps you save power on dragging watering cans with water. And besides, if you cover the plot with straw or black agrofibre (in the photo), it is beautiful, plus it will help you to collect clean, “marketable” berries.
- Top dressing. Without nitrogen and potassium this berry in any way! A good option is mulch from manure (5 kg per square) or humus (2.5 kg). At the end of May, give a strawberry urea solution (2%), and at the end of June, give a solution of manure or kurpomet. Kristallin and Mortar are also suitable. During the season, this crop can be fertilized up to 15 times, and not until the end of fruiting, but until late autumn.
- Transfer. If an ordinary strawberry needs this “procedure”, then the remontant is not, this is a short-lived culture. However, if the variety you got “mustache”, it can reproduce itself - your only task is to push the resulting sockets into the right places. Well, if you transplant a couple of old bushes is very necessary, remember: it is worth doing in the fall (but not too late) - if you transplant them in spring, they will not have time to give the harvest.
- Pruning. It is made at the end of the season so that the plant does not become infected with an infection or bugs. But remember: take care of the rosettes of the upper leaves, fruit buds will look out of here from spring. Well, the antennae can be cut off at any time (if you do not need new strawberry bushes).
- Enemies of this culture. They are the same as in garden varieties: fusarium, powdery mildew, gray mold, brown / white spots. From insects, the enemies of culture are: strawberry mite, aphid, wasps, nematodes, weevils, and of course, ants. Do not forget also about slugs and starlings.
- Wintering. After the arrival of frosts and pruning strawberries are recommended to cover non-woven material. Although if your winters are warm, just scribble on a bed of straw, leaves or sawdust.
Do you live in one of the northern regions and are afraid that getting a good harvest of such strawberries will not work? I offer this video in which an experienced gardener shares her positive experience of growing remontant strawberries in a greenhouse following the example of Holland:
Reproduction of such strawberries
In addition to the seed method discussed above, you can propagate reparative varieties:
- Antennae. The antennae of the strongest bushes direct to the free space on the bed (use the best ones, cut off the rest). They will begin to germinate - leave the first outlet, remove the rest. When the outlet becomes a strong bush, separate it from the “Nurse,” that is, a large bush, and transplant it into a more spacious place.
- Dividing bush. This is a less popular way. We need to find a strong bush 2-4 years of age. Dig it in autumn or early spring, divide it (the bush should have a lot of shoots with roots). Plant in different places.
Most popular varieties
Experienced gardeners divide them into 2 categories: varieties of neutral (they give berries all the time) and long daylight hours (yield several harvests per season). Among the remontant strawberries there are varieties with small / large berries, beetroot / baleen. And most importantly: some of them are recommended for gardens of the middle band, and some can be grown even in the north.
Thermophilic varieties (Ukraine, Belarus, Moscow region)
- "Aromas". Variety with tasty large berries. Not afraid of many diseases (strawberry mite, powdery mildew).
- "Wim Rin." Variety brought the Dutch. It is a NSD (neutral daylight), almost beardless. Berries gives from the end of June and until frost. Some say they have a sweet cherry flavor.
- "Garland". My favorite variety, albeit with small berries (but sweet). It can be grown in the garden or in hanging pots. It blooms and bears fruit at the same time.
- "Diamond" ("Brilliant"). Variety from America, one of the most delicious. The only thing: the berries are bright, so the jam of them is not the most beautiful. The plant is “whiskered”, so it is very easy to propagate.
- "Tristan" (hybrid). Almost decorative variety with pink flowers. It blooms early, ripens all summer. Beardless.
Not afraid of cool air (Siberia)
These varieties are suitable for the Moscow region. In the northern conditions they often have to be covered with foil, but it's worth it!
- "Hell." German variety, generous on berries and tendrils. The berries are small, have whitish flesh and a red “heart”, with sourness. Bushes are afraid of diseases and pests.
- "Mount Everest." This variety is good because it can grow on any soil. It looks a bit funny, as it has large leaves, wide bushes and small berries. But he is not afraid of most insects and diseases. In the first year after landing, he grows the antennae, but then stops.
- "Queen Elizabeth 2". Popular winter hardy variety, early. Berries are very large (up to 110 g, while the weight of most berries of other varieties is from 50 to 70 g). By the way, the bushes are often sold in the markets, promising "Elizabeth" and at the same time selflessly deceiving, so be careful.
- "Inexhaustible." Large light pink berries, which grow on the bushes a lot, with a very pleasant taste. Can breed with antennae (although they grow a little). The only pity is that this variety is painful (for example, it is afraid of powdery mildew).
- "Russian size" (hybrid). The size of the berries is really impressive. But they are also delicious, and very juicy. The variety is not afraid of disease and frost.
What is remanufacturing: the differences between remontant and ordinary varieties of strawberries, raspberries, strawberries
Repairability means the ability of the plant to produce flowering and bear fruit several times in one season. The term is derived from the French word "remontant", which means "to bloom again, to rise."
This feature is not only marked garden berries, but their wild counterparts. It is also characteristic of some other plant species. A distinctive feature of such plants - most often the fruits are not inferior in size to non-repairable plants, and no matter how many crops the plant gives per season.
However, it is often noted in the descriptions of remontant strawberries that it has less pronounced taste characteristics. Another problem is that these plants do not live long - on average two years.
Popular grades of remontant berries
There are a lot of similar types of berries. They have their own characteristics in growing and yield.
Garden berries of this type produce a crop twice a year, but it pays for it with smaller berries that do not have such a pronounced taste. The bush has weak foliage and is short-lived. However, these types of strawberries bred a lot. The best repair strawberry is obtained from these:
- "Mitse Nova", which has sweet berries in comparison with other multi-yielding varieties,
- "White Dream", the berries of which have a pineapple flavor,
- "Arapaho" - large-fruited and high-yielding species, bred in the United States,
- “Lyubasha” is a relatively new type of strawberry of universal use, it ripens early and is frost-resistant.
Be prepared for the fact that beds with remontant bushes will periodically become bare in different places. The fact is that after the first harvest of the bushes die. The process continues with each subsequent harvest. The maximum that a repair bush can live is three years.
Signs of repairmanship are observed in both garden and wild strawberries. However, it can produce fruits of medium and large sizes. It begins to bear fruit from mid-May and continues until the first frost. However, the largest crop can be taken only in the first two years of the plant life. Then, gradually, his strength is dramatically extinguished, and the plantation has to be completely replaced.
Many gardeners note that remontant varieties of strawberries are noticeably inferior in taste to ordinary ones. Nevertheless, they willingly grow and propagate their various varieties. The most popular are the “Monthly White” and “Monthly Gridneva”, which breed only by whiskers. Among those that can be bred by dividing the bush, it is worth noting "Hummi Gento", "Ostara", "Mount Everest."
Usually raspberries of such varieties are planted in order to get several harvests one by one until autumn. But it is believed that the autumn harvest is much inferior in its taste characteristics, as for the first summer plant gives most of its internal resources.
Today the repair raspberry has a wide variety of varieties. When choosing, it is necessary to focus on the soil and climatic requirements of each. On average, they yield 1.7–3.7 kg of fruit from one bush. Varieties such as "Elegant", "Ruby Necklace", "Bryansk Miracle", "Atlant", can produce more than 20 tons per bush.
Productivity depends on the average weight of the berries, their number on one shoot, the number of such shoots on one bush. In addition, the climatic conditions also influence the yield, which allow or do not allow to ripen the entire crop on the bush.
Therefore, in the northern regions, they usually prefer to grow varieties such as Eurasia, Hercules, and Bryansk Miracle, which in cool conditions give about 1.3–1.6 kg per bush. Worst of all fruit in such conditions, "Brilliant", "Indian Summer". Their productivity averages 1 kg per bush.
The difficulty of growing remontant raspberries lies in its reproduction in traditional ways. As a rule, such varieties give little replacement shoots, which creates a shortage of planting material. On the other hand, for such plantings easier to care for.
Tips for growing berries
Typically, these plants are planted on the south side in the sunniest and warmest areas of the garden in order to get a bountiful harvest. But if we are talking about the southern regions, then it can be planted in partial shade, even a shadow. It is desirable that the soil was fertile and loose. But still, after watering it is desirable to loosen and remove weeds.
To smooth out possible shortcomings of remontant varieties (low yields, loss of taste and external qualities), some gardeners prefer to refuse the first harvest. Anyway, it is not as significant as the second. Therefore, they ruthlessly tear off the first flower stalks.
In the case of strawberries, they sometimes refuse from the second harvest. This solution helps to get the antennae on the plant, because it does not give strength to the formation of sockets. To do this, strawberries in the summer cut off all flower stalks and make nitrogen fertilizer.
In general, these varieties require sufficient nitrogen, potash and phosphate fertilizers. True, it is believed that the latter is not necessary to use. Urea, organic fertilizers, ammonium nitrate have a good effect on the harvest.
During flowering, it is recommended to use mineral fertilizers. Water the berries should be plentiful, but do not fill. In order to avoid stagnation of water, it is recommended to mulch the soil.
As for strawberries, it is not cut before the first frost. Only after the frost grabs bushes several times, they are pruned for the winter, and then covered with mulch.
Repair berries - this is a big plus to the yield. It is unlikely that someone will refuse to pick fruit several times over the summer. But we must bear in mind that these advantages are balanced by a number of minuses: the short life of the plant and a decrease in the taste of the fruit.
Modern varieties remontant type
Developed and developed varieties of remontant plants enjoy unprecedented popularity, especially given some of the unique features of the representatives of this type of fruit and berries. The main advantages of such plants are natural and artificially grafted properties:
- Ability to multiple flowering and fruit production.
- Habituation and stability under adverse climatic conditions.
- Attractive taste and bright visual aesthetic qualities of the berries.
- Resistance to various diseases, unlike conventional varieties of the same species.
- Endurance and frost-resistant quality.
An equally important nuance when growing varieties of remontant plants is proper planting and care. In such conditions, you can several times get a high-quality, full-fledged harvest in the specified standard volume.
Strawberries, strawberries and raspberries are the most popular types of repair plants.
Nowadays, a large number of summer residents and gardeners prefer to plant reparative plants on their plots, among which raspberries and strawberries are most relevant. With the help of special types of varieties of these useful berries, you can provide yourself and your loved ones with a quality harvest for the entire summer season.
Raspberries are most often planted for two consecutive harvests. But it is believed that autumnal fruit ripening is not so juicy and productive, due to the fact that during the first summer flowering, the plant gives more strength and resources.
Remontant-type strawberries also tend to ripen again after a single crop is harvested. With the help of antennae, not so many types of berries are propagated; therefore, strawberries are most often grown by seed. Hybrids of different varieties of remontant strawberries are quite popular, enhancing the consumer qualities of the plant.
Strawberries produce two crops in a row in a row, independently and fairly effectively breeding over the years. Этому способствует продолжительный световой день и высокая температура воздуха. Отдельной популярностью уже довольно давно пользуется безусая земляника – более устойчивая и терпеливая разновидность. Этот сорт является многолетним, но рассаживать ягоду необходимо каждые четыре года. Размножается и семенами, и молодыми розетками.
For any remontant berries important correct, constant nutrition and watering. In addition, it is worth paying attention to the important nuances of caring for grown crops.
Caring for remontant plants throughout the year
With proper care for any remontant plant, it is possible to obtain a 100% result, which is expected during planting. With the help of a complex of necessary actions, it is possible to achieve not only the right amount of flowering and ripening of fruits, but also the best quality of the berries themselves.
It is imperative to do the following:
- Sanitary pruning
- Pruning after ripening
- Density adjustment
- Top dressing
It is necessary to periodically loosen and mulch the soil without damaging the roots of the plants. To protect shrubs, buds, fruits from pests and various kinds of diseases, you should use proven, highly effective fertilizers and chemical compounds.
Also, to increase the yield and extend the period of the berries of repair plants, you can organize durable, light-transmitting polyethylene shelters. However, it is desirable to construct such constructions at the very end of summer - the bees should have time to pollinate the flowers to form the ovary.
What is a repair strawberry?
Remontant is a French word that means to be reborn or to rise again. The repair team has the extraordinary ability of the repeated formation of flowers and fruits in one period of time.
Varieties, fructifying twice a year, unlike other, more large-berry and give a higher yield. In the first two years, the plant gives the greatest number of berries, then its quantity on the bush gradually begins to decline, and also they begin to shrink. To avoid this, it is necessary to make a transplant.
Today, any gardener can purchase on the market seedlings of favorite varieties, bearing fruit several times during the season.
How to plant reparative strawberries
In the place where there were earlier herding crops or cabbage, strawberries will not bear fruit. It is necessary to choose the site, dig up the ground and make holes (25 cm diameter and depth). Double row is better. Aisle about 70cm, the intervals in the row - 30-35cm. Fertilize the soil in the wells with compost. You can add a little wood ash. It is necessary to water very well. Everything. It remains to plant the bushes remontantnoy berries, pour again, sprinkle with mulch. The next time you can fertilize with abundant flowering (boron, manganese, zinc, 2 g per ten-liter bucket of water). Strawberries, for the formation of juicy large berries, require a lot of moisture. It is necessary to water plentifully. Especially in the period of the ovary. But do not overdo it with watering, when the berries ripen, otherwise they will be savory. Strawberry breeds with rosettes, mustache or seeds.
To protect against disease plants are sprayed, for example, infusion of garlic. To protect against slugs, mix ashes and tobacco dust one by one and sprinkle plants.
Terms of care for remontany strawberries
Despite the fact that the care has some features - yet it is simple. It is enough that the gardener will strictly fulfill all the agrotechnical requirements of the culture.
Plant strawberries best nesting way. Thus, the mustache of the culture quickly form the roots, and the readiness for the formation of fruits comes much faster. Strawberries are very fond of space, so saving with the distance between the bushes is not worth it. A good space contributes to the better formation of new plants and abundant fruiting, the more berries are formed at the same time much larger.
The presence of weed vegetation on the site and the lack of nutrients have a detrimental effect on the development of culture. Heavy soils also have a bad effect on strawberries, so it’s worth lightening them with sand.
Preparing for sowing or planting culture - should prepare the site. For a week or two, manure should be applied to the soil (preferably, rotted - compost). The calculation is done this way: a bucket (10 liters) per 1 square meter.
The soil should be light. Therefore, you should mix the fertile layer with sand (approximately 1/3 of a bucket per square meter).
Seedlings can be planted in autumn or spring. In the autumn time - this is September. Spring is May.
Important. Watering should be done with warm water. It is recommended to use a variety of herbal infusions - they have a positive effect on the root system and the aerial parts of plants.
Important. When the daily temperature is above 25 degrees - it is worth watering in the morning or in the evening, accompanying the procedure of loosening the mail. This will saturate the earth with oxygen, and also contributes to the formation of larger berries on the bushes.
Reviews The best varieties of remontant strawberries
Gardeners celebrate its cultivation and yield advantages are much higher. The culture is constantly being improved and updated by breeders. The best strawberry is described above, the reviews about it are positive. The fruits of the plant are different in color and size, but this does not affect the quality of taste. What matters is that when almost all the berries are “moved away”, the owners of remontant varieties have the opportunity to continue the feast. This brings especially great joy to children.