The use of proper agricultural practices and the implementation of plant protection rules in their garden plots increase their resistance to diseases and pests.
- Planting healthy seedlings.
- Compliance with crop rotation.
- The return of the landings to the former place is not earlier than in 4-5 years.
- You can not place a strawberry plot near the crops with which it has common pests.
Before planting, all purchased seedlings are subjected to heat treatment, immersing it entirely in water at a temperature of 50 ° C for 15 minutes.
Strawberry (transparent) tick
Description. An extremely small pest that can only be seen under a microscope. Females winter at the base of the stalks, in the spring one female lays up to 15 eggs. The pest generation develops in 30 days. Crude weather is favorable for tick reproduction. In this summer, they give 4-5 generations per season. In dry weather, ticks die. The larvae and adult insects feed on the juice of young strawberry leaves.
Nature of damage. Strawberry leaves become smaller, yellow oily spots appear on them, with a large number of pests young leaves shrivel. Bushes affected by the mite become short, grow poorly, their yield is reduced. Signs of defeat are especially strong in the second half of summer, when the second wave of bushes grows.
Measures to combat this pest. Spraying the bushes 2 weeks before flowering and after picking berries Karbofos (Fufanon), Inta-Vir, Actellick, Sherpa. Sprayer set up on the jet. When processing, young leaves are plentifully moistened, on which the bulk of mites is collected. In bushes heavily infected with a pest, they mow and immediately burn all the leaves, then spray it with plant residues. In the future, strawberry plantations, attacked by strawberry mites, need to be especially carefully weed, because the pests live on many weeds.
The best defense against tick attack is proper care at the beginning of the growing season. In the absence of treatments in a humid summer, the mite can destroy the plantation. At the first signs of defeat, you must immediately begin to fight this pest.
Pest description. The beetle is grayish-black in color, 2.5–3 mm long, and the body is covered with thick light gray hairs. It has a thin, slightly curved proboscis and antennae. Larvae are legless, curved, grayish-white with sparse hairs. Beetles hibernate under the plant remnants of strawberries and raspberries. In spring, they feed on young leaves, females lay eggs in buds. The larvae developing inside the bud pupate there. The second generation of beetles appears in mid-July and feeds on leaves until autumn, and in September the pest leaves for wintering.
The nature of the damage. Beetles feed on strawberry leaves, eating small holes in them, gnawing at the pedicels, which makes the buds break and fall. Then the beetles fly to raspberries, and after the end of flowering, the latter returns to strawberries and feeds on young growing leaves. The larvae eat out the buds from the inside. With a high pest population, the yield of strawberries and raspberries is sharply reduced.
Ways of struggle. Two spring spraying of plants: at bud break and 2 weeks before flowering. With a strong spread of weevil in the summer spraying repeated. Apply insecticides Karbofos, Spark, Inta-Vir, Kinmiks. Can be used to combat the weevil and biological preparations Nemabakt, Antonem.
How to deal with pest folk remedies.
- During the flowering period, strawberry bushes are treated with baking soda (2 tbsp. L / 10 l of water).
- To scare away beetles in the spring when the flower stalks appear, sprinkle ashes or tobacco dust on the middle of each bush.
- In the evening, newspapers or cloth are laid out under the bushes, and early in the morning, when the beetles are inactive, they are shaken from plants and destroyed.
- Birch tar 3-4 cap dissolved in 10 liters of water. Soap is added to the solution, which is an adhesive and serves to better retain the drug on the leaves. Sprayed in the morning in dry weather.
The disadvantage of all folk remedies is that they are easily washed off with rain or watering and the treatment must be repeated.
Prevention. Destruction of plant residues and loosening between the rows.
Maybirds larvae - one of the most dangerous pests of strawberries
Description of the pest. In May, the female beetle in May lays up to 70 eggs to the soil to a depth of 10–15 cm, of which a small larva appears after 25–30 days. She has a bright, thick, curved body with 6 limbs in front. The larva lives in the soil for 3-5 years, gradually growing to the size of a beetle. It is omnivorous, feeds on the roots of both cultivated plants and weeds. In the warm season, the pest lives on the roots of plants, in October it goes deep into the soil for wintering. In places of mass distribution produces a devastating effect.
The nature of the damage. Strawberry is one of the favorite plants of the Maybot larvae. Small 1-2 year old larvae move along the small roots to large inside the soil, and 3-5 year olds can crawl from one plant to another on the surface of the earth. Eat the roots, causing the plant dies.
Processing strawberries from the pest. Preparations Antihrusch, Zemlin, Pochin, Vallar. They are scattered on the surface of the soil, followed by incorporation. The larvae do not tolerate nitrogen, so to combat them on the plot, you can sow clover, beans, beans, or make pure nitrogen fertilizers (urea. Ammonium nitrate).
Protection from pest folk remedies.
- Water the bushes infusion of onion peel. For its preparation, 100 g of husk are poured with 10 liters of warm water and insist 3-5 days.
- Daily abundant watering of strawberry bushes for 3-4 days. Larvae do not like high soil moisture and go. But we must remember that they will appear in another place where the earth is drier.
- 10-15 drops of an alcoholic solution of iodine diluted in 10 liters of water and watered the plants.
- Plastic bottle traps are used in May to catch beetles. To do this, cut off the neck and fill the bottle with sweet water. Put it in places of mass summer of beetles (under trees, bushes, on a strawberry plot). Traps are checked every day.
- Mechanical collection of larvae. In case the plant is dried up, it is dug together with a lump of earth and examined. Collected larvae are destroyed. Delay in digging zadyadogo bush leads to the fact that the pest manages to move to a healthy plant.
It is very difficult to completely get rid of the larvae of the May Beetle.
For more information about the fight with the Maybug larvae, you can read in this article.
Bare Slugs - Voracious Strawberry Pests
Description of the pest. Slugs are clams that do not have a shell. Their length can be from 40 to 150 mm, the color from light gray to almost black. In some species, the body narrows towards the end. Eggs overwinter under clumps of soil, in spring young individuals leave them. Over the summer, 2 generations of pests are generated. Slugs are more active at night, day of inactive. When damaged plants leave characteristic mucous secretions. Reproduction of mollusks contributes to wet weather, it is very difficult to fight with the pest.
The nature of the damage. Leaves on petioles, leaves, buds, berries, oblong holes, while leaving a silvery discharge. They cause enormous damage to the strawberry crop. Transfer fungal infections.
- Hand picking and pest control.
- Thorough weeding of strawberry plantations, removal of plant residues, planks, covering materials.
- In wet weather, the beds are mulched with sawdust or pine needles.
- Protective strips are made by sprinkling rough between them with something rough (sunflower seed husks, coarse sand, nutshells). You can sprinkle inter-row substance corrosive to the body of mollusks (superphosphate - 5-8 g / m 2 or fresh-quenched lime 20 g / m 2).
- The use of molluscicides: Slimeneed, Thunderstorm, Anti-slug. Drugs scatter on the surface of the soil. They are dangerous for pets and can accumulate in the berries, so the strawberries, taken from the bushes under which the drugs were used, are carefully washed.
- More safe drug Ulitsid. It is also made superficially.
- Cornmeal poured into a jar and put it in the aisle. It is a delicacy and poison for slugs. The jar is periodically cleaned from dead mollusks.
- Make traps and bait. Cabbage leaves, wet boards, rags are laid out in the evening between the beds and between the rows. In the morning beneath them accumulates a lot of slugs. They are collected and destroyed.
- Mustard. 10 dessert spoons of powder are diluted in a liter of water and watered the soil around strawberry bushes, and also sprayed the plants.
- Zelenka. 10 ml is diluted in 10 liters of water and watered between the rows.
Prevention. Timely weeding of the plantation, thinning of thickened plantations, deep loosening in wet weather.
For more information about the fight against these mollusks can be found in the article "How to deal with slugs in the garden"
Description of the pest. Very small transparent worms with a cylindrical body, live and feed on the sap of plant tissues. The pest overwinters in the kidneys at the base of the plants, the females lay eggs in the spring. The new generation develops in 12-15 days, after which the young females themselves begin to lay eggs. Over the summer, 8 generations of pests are generated. The highest breeding activity is observed in May-June.
The nature of the damage. Nematode affects tissue and the sinuses of strawberry leaves, buds, flowers and berries. Defeat is of three types.
- "Cauliflower" - strawberry leaves become thickened, twisted, entire, with short petioles, dense heads form, as it were. The number of flowers decreases, they are underdeveloped, the petals become green.
- Redness - leaf stalks thinned, become red-violet, leaves become leathery, without pubescence.
- "Schilz" - leaf records are eaten, leaving only the central veins.
The berries become small, underdeveloped, the bushes begin to lag behind due to damage to the roots. It affects a few bushes, but in the absence of care can spread throughout the plot.
Signs of nematode damage are most pronounced in spring and early summer. During the period of growth of foliage (May-early June), strawberry bushes are carefully examined for pest infestation.
- Destruction of affected plants and weeds. Land after diseased bushes is treated with bleach, 4% formalin solution or 5% solution of ferrous sulfate.
- Acarin powder is sprayed over the soil surface against hibernating nematodes.
Prevention. Purchased planting material is disinfected, immersing it completely in hot water (50 ° C) and keeping for 15 minutes. Crop rotation, careful weeding of the plot.
Do not place beds with onions, garlic, peas, beans near the plantation of strawberries, do not plant potatoes, because the nematode affects these crops.
Description. The caterpillar damages bushes, which winters in a spider's cocoon under plant remains and under the bark of trees. Front and rear body pest black. In spring, the caterpillar leaves the cocoon and feeds on strawberry leaves. Having finished growing at the end of May and beginning of June, they pupate between two intact leaves cobbled together with cobwebs. After 10-15 days a butterfly appears from the pupa, which feeds on nectar and lays up to 100 eggs, placing them one by one on the fruits and leaves. The front wings of butterflies are brown-brown or dark gray, have several dark spots, light in the upper part. Hind wings monophonic dark gray. After 10-12 days, the second generation of pests that feed until autumn appears out of laid eggs. The leaf worm is omnivorous, damages many fruit trees and berry bushes.
The nature of the damage. Young caterpillars feed on the lower part of the leaf, damaging it at the base of the median vein, gnawing holes of various sizes and shapes. Adult moths twist up the ends of leaves and fasten them 2-3 pieces together with the inflorescence in the clump they feed on. The second generation of caterpillars can sometimes feed on leaves without sticking them together.
How to treat strawberries from pests.
- Spraying the bushes when the pest spreads insecticides: Karbofos or its analogues (Fufanon, Kemifos), Bi-58 new, Rogor.
- You can use biological preparations Lepidotsid, Bitoxibacillin. Make a double treatment with an interval of 5-7 days.
- With an insignificant spread, hand picking of caterpillars and pupae in twisted strawberry leaves.
Popular methods of struggle.
- To catch butterflies make traps. In a jar of 0.5-0.8 l poured kvass or fermented jam 1/3 and placed on the plantations and under the trees. As the pest accumulates, the banks are cleaned.
- To combat the caterpillars use tobacco infusion. 500 g of tobacco dust pour 10 liters of hot water, leave for 2 days. Dilute the resulting solution by 2 times, add 50 g of liquid soap as an adhesive to 10 liters and spray the plants. The treatment is carried out with a freshly prepared solution, observing precautions. In case of contact with skin, the solution may cause severe irritation.
Description of the pest. Butterflies with dark pink or red wings, with a clear gray border around the edges. Caterpillars are large, up to 4 cm long, the head is bright red. The body has stripes of the same color, covered with warts and bristles. It pupates in the surface layer of soil next to the plant.
The nature of the damage. The caterpillars gnaw into the tissue of the plants (strawberries in the rhizome) and eat them from the inside, gnawing the passages. The plant dies. The difficulty in dealing with a scoop is that it is protected from the effects of drugs by plant tissues.
Control measures. The scoop spreads very quickly, so emergency measures are taken against the pest. Treatment of the plot with Decis, Fury, Fenaxin, Rovikur. Spraying is carried out in the center of the bush.
Prevention. Damaged plants are removed along with a clod of earth and burned, the earth is treated with bleach. Timely weeding of the plantation is a reliable prevention from this pest.
Description of the pest. The insect is black, 8–9 mm long, the body is shiny and long, the legs are brown. The larva is dark green above, light green below with a grayish tint, has a sharp boundary between the color of the back and sides. The disturbed larva rolls up into a ring. They hibernate in a transparent golden brown cocoon in the soil. They pupate in the spring. The pupae are initially light green, and turn black before the insect leaves. Females lay eggs on young leaves of the strawberry from the upper side, leaving characteristic brown notches. Over the summer, 3 generations of sawflies appear. The larvae of the last generation of pests feed until late autumn, then they go to hibernate.
The nature of the damage. Damage strawberries, roses and wild rose. At the bottom of the leaves, the larvae gnaw at first separate parts of the leaf, and then gnaw holes of various shapes. Young leaves of strawberry sawfly can destroy completely.
How to deal with a pest. The most effective way to fight is spraying the bushes at the beginning of budding and after picking the berries with Inta-Vir, Aktellik, Kinmiks, Spark Karbofos. During the summer spraying, the waiting times are observed (the interval between the spraying of the preparation and the harvesting of the berries) for the remontant strawberry.
Prevention. Loosening the soil, the destruction of weeds.
The best agricultural technology helps to fight strawberry pests best.
Other useful articles about growing strawberries:
- Strawberry care. The article details how to care for a strawberry plantation from early spring to late autumn.
- Strawberry disease. Treatment of plants with chemicals and folk remedies.
- Strawberry reproduction. How to independently propagate strawberry bushes and what mistakes gardeners often make.
- Growing strawberries from seeds. Is it worth doing the usual summer residents.
- The best varieties of strawberries with photos and descriptions. Selection of the newest, fruitful and perspective grades.
- Growing strawberries in the greenhouse. Cultivation technology and all the pros and cons of this business.
- Planting strawberries in open ground. Are you going to do strawberries? Then this is the very first article you need to read.
Dear visitors of the “Dacha plot”, tireless gardeners, gardeners and flower growers. We suggest you take a proficiency test and find out whether you can trust a shovel and let you with it in the garden.
Strawberry pests and control
Strawberries are a very popular culture both among amateur gardeners and professionals professionally engaged in the cultivation of fruits and vegetables for sale. But in order to harvest a good crop, it is necessary to protect the plantation or a bed of strawberries from various risk factors, for example, from pest infestation. We will introduce you to the main enemies of the culture in the open field and in the greenhouse, and also tell you how to treat strawberries from pests, what measures will help protect the planting from damage by harmful insects and mollusks, and during what periods of strawberry development it is processed.
Preventive measures to protect strawberries from pests
Everyone knows that it is easier to prevent the emergence of a problem than to look for ways to solve it.In order not to waste time, effort and money on pest control of strawberries, it is necessary first of all to observe the agrotechnology of culture:
- to destroy weeds during the growing season, and at the end of the season - plant residues in the area,
- in the fall, to dig deep or plow the land,
- observe the culture,
- develop an optimal irrigation regime for the plant,
- do not allow landings to thicken
- in greenhouse conditions to control air humidity.
Predatory insects can help protect strawberries from pests in protected areas: entomophagous gallitsa aphidymia can cope with strawberries on a strawberry, and acarifag phytoseiulus can cope with spider and strawberry mites.
You can purchase these bioagents in a pet store or garden pavilion. Gallits are colonized on strawberry beds 2-3 times per season, and phytoseiulyusy - every 7-14 days, until the pests are destroyed.
Whiteflies are moth-like small moths that live on the underside of leaves, feed on their juice and lay eggs on them. Whitefly larvae also feed on plant sap. In one season, the pest can produce up to 4 generations. Signs of the presence of whitefly on strawberries are yellow spots on the curling leaves, gradually becoming covered with excrement - a sweetish sticky coating on which soot fungus develops. If the strawberry grows in the bright sun, the probability of the appearance of whitefly on it is much lower than on a berry growing in partial shade.
Of the chemical preparations, Karate, Shar Pei and Nurell D, as well as Aktar, Bazudin, Zolon and Marshall are used to destroy beetles and their larvae.
Medvedka, or a top, lives under the ground at a depth of 10 cm, so it is difficult to fight it. This is a large flying insect, reaching an average length of 5 cm, although there are individuals and larger ones. Each year, the bear in its underground passages lays up to 400 eggs, and at the beginning of summer, larvae emerge from them, feeding on plant roots. If you find that some strawberry bushes have withered, check their roots: they can be eaten by the pest.
Medvedka is destroyed by laying out the baits of the grain poisoned with chemical preparations, which are specially dug in the ground. As poison they use all the same Zolon, Actellik, Marshall and Basudin.
This sucking pest is multifaceted and widespread. It can damage crops in protected and open ground. Thrips and its larvae parasitize on the underside of the leaves, settling there in groups. In one season, the pest is able to produce from three to five generations. Thanks to the efforts of these pests, the leaves on the strawberry fall, the flowers are deformed.
Zolon, Actellic, Karbofos or other drugs of similar action destroy thrips with insecticides.
Slugs appear in conditions of high humidity, if the air temperature is kept within 16 ˚С. These pests damage the fruit and make holes in the leaves of strawberries mainly at night. To prevent them from being planted, the surface is mulched with a special film or bark of a large fraction, along which it will be difficult for slugs to move. In the case of the site dominance by clams, granulated preparation Slimax and treatment of bushes with Metaldehyde are used against them.
There are non-toxic for people and time-tested pest control products, which are commonly called folk remedies:
- 1 kg of tobacco dust insist in 10 liters of water during the day. Before processing the strawberry composition is diluted with water in a ratio of 1: 3, add 40 g of soap to it and use an infusion to spray the bushes and soil in the area from flea beetles, aphids and mites,
- apple cider vinegar sprayed with strawberries from aphids,
- salt scare ants,
- honey trapped bear,
- sunflower oil diluted with water, as well as salt, is expelled from the site ants,
- mustard powder pollinates the soil to scare off the plot slugsand if 10 g of powder is insisted 2 days in 10 l of water, strain, add 40 g of soap and process strawberries 3 weeks after flowering, then you can save it from thrips and bedbugs.
Strawberry Pest Control Chemicals
We offer you familiarity with the drugs that have shown the greatest effectiveness in the fight against pests on strawberries:
- Aktellik - insektoakaritsid, destroying all pests, including aphids and bugs. The active ingredient of the drug is pyrimiphos-methyl. The effect is achieved after two treatments.
- Aktara - insectoacaricide used to kill weevils and other strawberry pests. The active ingredient is thiamethoxam. Two treatments are carried out: before flowering and after harvesting.
- Apollo - acaricide of contact action against spider and strawberry mite. Active ingredient - clofentezin. The effect is achieved after two treatments.
- Zolone is a broad-spectrum drug with the active ingredient fosolone. It will take two treatments: before flowering and after harvesting.
- Karate - insectoacaricide against aphids, leaf beetles, ticks and other pests. The active substance is lambda-cyhalothrin.
- Karbofos - highly effective insectoacaricide against aphids, ticks, moles, beetles and weevils. The treatment is carried out a month before harvesting.
- Metaldehyde is an effective granular agent for slugswhich is scattered over the surface of the plot.
- Nurell D - broad-spectrum insecticide from beetles and other pests. Active ingredients - chlorpyrifos and cypermethrin.
- Shar Pei - a drug used against Zhukov and other pests. The active substance is tefluthrin.