Having bought kalanchoe calandyva in a store, I was fascinated for a long time by her small bright flowers, which pleased me more than one month. But after a while the flowers fell, and the plant did not bloom for almost two years. It sincerely grieved me. How so?
Really will not please? A friend came to the rescue, telling what to do, so that the kalandiva would again be painted. Now I will tell you how to properly care for this type of Kalanchoe and how to provoke its flowering.
There are more than two hundred species of Kalanchoe. But we are used to representing a long plant-tree, tied to a stick, with crooked leaves, which mothers and grandmothers treated us in childhood.
Kalandyva is also healing, but besides this, it is also beautiful, it produces small bright flowers and more carefully in appearance. This kind of Kalanchoe quickly spread among customers as soon as it appeared on store shelves.
The flower is decorative, so you can buy it both for yourself and as a gift!
What is the secret of such a rapid popularity in the market of flower growers? Kalanchoe is absolutely picky, resistant to different temperature and watering, and also blooms for a long time - about six months. In addition to its healing properties, the plant also has a decorative function.
This flower came to us from hot Africa and belongs to the plant family Tolstiankov. This name was due to the fleshy structure of the leaf and stem. A lot of moisture is absorbed in the sheets, which is used evenly by the plant with infrequent watering.
Kalanchoe kalandiv - the most common type of ornamental plants of this species, which can reach a height of 40 cm.
The leaves in length are approximately stretched up to 5 cm, and in width - up to 3 cm. The shape of the leaf is oval or round, with pronounced teeth on the perimeter. The color is mostly dark green.
Flowers are gathered on the peduncle together and are located at the top of Kalanchoe. Buds do not fall, keep a straight shape and are distinguished by light terry. In diameter, one flower reaches up to 1 cm. The colors of the buds are the most varied - from white and yellow to pink and purple.
The varieties of decorative Kalanchoe include:
- Kalanchoe Kalandiva mix - a small bush-like plant with different colors of flowers,
- Kalanchoe calandyva mini - rounded, thickened stems, prone to branching.
Medicinal properties of the plant
The fact that Kalanchoe is a medicinal plant is known to many from childhood. He chewed on a piece of paper once or twice, and his throat stopped hurting.
Some squeeze the juice from the fleshy leaves and do the same procedure with instillation of the nose for a cold or treatment of sore throat. It is very important to take fresh juice, as healing properties are lost every hour.
Often Kalanchoe juice is used in dentistry and gynecology. Drugs, which include Kalanchoe juice, treat many diseases:
- burn wounds
- a cold
- periodontal disease
- runny nose
- digestive disorders
- and even acne.
Do not forget that traditional medicine is a purely individual thing, and may not be suitable for everyone.
Before using Kalanchoe juice, you should consult with the doctor of the required specialty so that the treatment does not cause allergies or other adverse reactions.
As mentioned earlier, Kalanchoe is an absolutely harmless plant, over which you do not need to "shake" and blow away dust particles. But, as with every decorative flower, there are a number of features to look after it:
- Kalandiva loves bright light and you can safely put it on the sunny side. If the plant is standing on the shady side or in the back of the room, it will also grow and develop, but because of the lack of light, the leaves may turn yellow and the stem lengthens in search of light. Such plants may not bloom anymore. To avoid this, it is recommended to use the backlight.
- You should not put kalandivu on sunny balconies, where the sun is very bright and stuffy. As a result, the plant can get burned. To determine whether the flower is hot or not, the presence of burns will help - red spots on the leaves.
- Suitable temperature for growing from +22 to + 28 ° C.
- Room humidity is acceptable for a flower. It also tolerates dry air. It is not necessary to carry out additional moistening with an atomizer; it is enough to wipe the leaves once a week or every two weeks with a damp cloth, freeing them from dust.
- Watering is carried out by the upper path (watering with distilled water at room temperature from above into the pot). Do not over-moisturize the plant, it does not like excessive moisture (possibly rotting roots). We monitor the condition of the land in the tank and water as needed. In summer, the frequency can reach 4-5 times a month, depending on the location of the pot, dry air, etc. In winter, it is recommended to water about three times a month.
- Water from the pallet must be drained, since an excess of moisture, especially when the plant is at rest, can lead to lengthening and weakening of the stem. Such a stalk will not only be ugly, but prone to disease and lack of flowering.
- Feed Kalanchoe can with the help of phosphorus-potassium drugs, which are purchased in specialized stores. Fertilize no more than twice a month, especially during the flowering period. You can also use fertilizers for succulents, which are characterized by fleshy leaves. All these nutrients are added to the soil only if the land of the plant is not saturated with useful trace elements. Otherwise, dressing is optional.
- The plant itself will tell you what it needs. Small and pale leaves - a lack of nitrogen. It blooms for a short time and releases color late - phosphorus deficiency. Curved leaves or the presence of brown spots - lack of potassium.
- When purchasing a flower in a store, it is recommended to transplant it in a new tank with a new soil in a week or two. Further transplantation is performed as needed, for example, as the Kalanchoe grows. Suitable soil is the usual substrate with the addition of sand. It is also useful to include some peat in the ground.
The secrets of flowering
Kalanchoe calandyva is called the flower of a short day. This name was derived from his love for bright light. Therefore, flowering occurs on the basis of proper lighting.
With optimal lighting, the plant can bloom up to six months, starting in the middle or end of winter. Buds are formed in the inflorescences, and one such inflorescence lives for about a month, and after the flowers die, it is replaced by new buds.
Fading away, the calandiva falls into a state of calm for about six months. At this time, the plant is fertilized and watered less than usual.
It is not necessary to be a professional gardener to ensure the flowering of this type of plant. In order for the flower to come to life and bloom, it is necessary to create a short light day for 9 hours within 20 days. Every day after 9 hours, the Kalanchoe is covered with a dark cloth or, best of all, with a dark container that does not transmit light.
After 20 days of such procedures, the plant is returned to its usual conditions. Peduncles, as a rule, appear 10-11 weeks after the procedure.
This method is suitable for those who have not flowered Kalanchoe for a long time. If the plant has only recently faded, then it will not work to force it to plant flower stalks back in this way. The kalandives simply do not have enough strength. During the rest period the plant is strengthened in development, therefore it is so important to give the plant rest.
The most convenient method of reproduction remains reproduction of children, but there are also ways to separate the sheets and cuttings. The cuttings are cut off, dried for several hours in the open air, and then immersed either in water or in sand to release the root system.
The same procedure is done with the leaves, but the leaf method is longer, and the plant will not color in six months, as when cutting, but after a year at least.
Also propagated by plant and seed. The seeds are very small and brown, more like dust. So in one gram of about 80,000 seeds. They are lined up on top of leafy ground, half mixed with sand, and moistened from a pallet. Top cover with glass or transparent plastic bag.
Sprouts rise in a week or two. Their appearance depends on the ambient temperature and air humidity. They should be planted when the seedlings begin to touch each other with their leaves. Recommend to replant up to 3 pieces in one container and plenty of water, avoiding direct sunlight.
If you are a beginner in the cultivation of ornamental home plants, then this flower is for you! He is not whimsical in the care, and blooms with various colors for six months.
Having read once about caring for this plant, there will be no more questions about its cultivation. You can safely leave it for a long time and go on a journey, Kalanchoe Kalandiva will wait for you and delight you with its beauty!
Description of Kalanchoe Kalandiva
The flower belongs to miniature indoor crops, growing up to 40 cm. Kalanokhoe belongs to the group of succulents - plants that accumulate moisture and nutrients in the tissues. This feature is decisive in the care of the flower. Variety Kalandiva unpretentious in growing and is particularly decorative.
- cup size - about 1 cm in diameter,
- flower color - depending on the variety: white, yellow, shades of red and purple.
Flowers Kalanchoe Kalandiva collected at the top of the plant in the inflorescence-brush. This variety has a rather long flowering - for six months (from February to July). Each bud blooms for about 1 month. Then it fades, disappears, and a new one grows in the same place.
Reproduction and planting Kalanchoe Kalandiva
Small pots are used for this flower. Substrate required special for succulents. The alternative is homemade soil mixture of humus and sand (3: 1) or garden soil with sand (3: 1). Since the plant will not reach large sizes, it is often not necessary to replant it, unless after purchase, to be placed in a permanent pot. The reason for the transplant can also be:
- root decay
- the appearance of pests
- cramped pot.
The reproduction of kalandiv is carried out by grafting. Cut and root leaves or shoots. In the first case, the procedure is possible at any time of the year. Stem cuttings need to be harvested along with leaves. It is desirable to do this during pruning, which is carried out for Kalandives immediately after the end of flowering.
Council In the process of pruning, you can remove all flower stalks and pin shoots to make the bush compact. You can also greatly shorten the plant, leaving one stump. This procedure will rejuvenate Kalanchoe.
Before breeding Kalandiva cuttings need to cut old shoots to 7-8 cm. The resulting sample is deepened to the prepared soil by 1.5-2 cm. Use peat or wet sand. Then cover the stalk with a transparent container. You can first put the sprout in the water for a week - so it will quickly get the roots.
Conditions for growing kalandivy
Kalanchoe refers to those cultures that will grow in a room in almost any environment. The flower likes an abundance of light, but it will feel good on the western or eastern windowsill, being half a day in the shade. Extremes in the form of growth in direct sunlight or in too shady places are contraindicated. In the first case, there are burns on the leaves, in the second a flower grows stunted.
Other features of growing Kalandives:
- Wide range suitable for the development of temperature: 15-30 ° C.
- Unpretentiousness to air humidity. The plant can not spray at low humidity. However, a high rate along with high temperatures will adversely affect the flower, which runs the risk of becoming infected with powdery mildew.
Bookmark buds - a sign that Kalanchoe can feed. Florists recommend doing this in spring and autumn. As a fertilizer, special complex mixtures are used for succulent plants. During the cooking process use the same separated water and instructions. Fertilize Kalandivu 1-2 times a month. This will stimulate the plant to bloom every season.
Flower gardening tips for Kalandiva care
To grow this plant was easy, and the result - pleasing to the eye, use the tricks of experienced growers:
- provide Kalanchoe backlight on an overcast day - this will help the flowers grow large,
- in the fall, feed Kalandiva with fertilizers for succulents and cacti, in winter - mixtures for flowering plants,
- Arrange the plant 9-10-hour daylight hours in December and January, to stimulate the formation of buds.
Technology care Kalanchoe Kalandiva simple, but it has features. Take care of proper lighting and watering, timely feeding. These components directly affect whether your plant will bloom next time or not, how long this period will be abundant and whether the pot with Kalandiva on the window sill will look beautiful.
Another name for indoor Kalanchoe Kalandiva is the equally well-known name - Kalanchoe Kalandiva mini. This flower is a variety of Kalanchoe Blossfeld, obtained by breeding. The hybrid has differences from the original plant in size and number of buds formed.
An adult plant reaches a height of 30 cm. The flower has fleshy leaves and a trunk. The structure of the plant belongs to the succulent. Bush has a bare, upright multiple shoots. The leaves have a glossy surface and dark green color. The shape resembles an egg with light notches on the edges. They are located along the trunk opposite each other and have a length of up to 6 cm.