Hyssopus Officinalis - hyssop ordinary (blue tutsan or bee grass), a plant of a wide profile of application. Due to the fact that it is not whimsical and the whole summer season pleases with flowering and aroma, it is used to decorate personal plots. It also attracts the attention of bees (a great honey plant). Housewives who understand the subtleties of cooking, do not forget to stock up on this spice for cooking different dishes, but more importantly, get a collection for preventive and therapeutic purposes.
For the first time records of hyssop, made the great medieval scholar Avicenna. He describes the unique properties of plants in the field of cosmetology, the ability to give a fresh look to the face and smooth wrinkles.
The recipes of Abu Ali that have come down to our days literally look like this:
- If you drink with wine, it is capable of dissolving dense tumors.
- A decoction cooked in vinegar can soothe the pain of the teeth, and steam decoction in combination with figs, if fumigated with a funnel, will relieve tinnitus.
- Boil and apply a soaked bandage on the eyes, which eliminates bruising under the eyelids and in the eye.
- Useful for chest, lungs, chronic cough and asthma. A decoction in combination with honey and figs can heal from "solid" tumors and "standing" breathing. In angina, the medicine guru recommended gargling.
- For the benefit of the spleen, a bandage was made from hyssop, figs and bavrak, and it was also effective to ingest such a composition to eliminate the symptoms of dropsy.
- The plant can expel mucus, and in combination with pumpkin seeds or wild cumin, "violet root" is a highly active means, expelling worms (worms).
It is possible to decorate the Alpine hills with a beautiful flowering plant, especially since long-term flowering attracted the attention of breeders. New varieties have added a palette of colors. Fees on natural habitat are full of useful properties. In nature, there are more than 50 plant species. Common and frequently encountered are such varieties: Cretaceous, anise and medicinal. Value for healing and cooking represents the latter.
Curative grass belonging to the family of yasnotkovykh, most often large plantations grows in Asia, in southern Siberia, central Russia, in the Caucasus, Crimea, Kazakhstan, in the mountains of Altai. For medicinal purposes, use all the elements of the plant. The value is a flower, stem and root system. During the flowering season, and this is the period from June to September, you can make several sections of the plant. Collection knit beams and hang in well-ventilated areas, or on the street under a canopy, without access of moisture and sunlight.
To be able to determine the direction in use, the chemical composition of the plant was studied:
- Essential oil. The method of distillation of steam from the leaves of the plant extract oil. The consistency of it is viscous and light, has a yellow-green color. Due to the tart and sweet fragrance, it can be used in aromatherapy and has a positive effect on the general condition of the body. Cheers up and gives strength. The healing properties of the volatile component can help cope with asthma, bronchitis, angina. Oil rubbing is widely used for colds. With nervous exhaustion, depression - adding a few drops to the bath is shown. It is recommended to conduct external treatment of wounds, hematomas, acne, eczema, warts.
- Tannins. Tannins are a component of many plants and are found in all their parts. They have an astringent effect and, reaching the intestines, help to heal from dysbacteriosis, stop the activity of pathogenic microbes, remove slags and toxins, the effect of radiation, promote the absorption of necessary, beneficial substances.
- Diosmin. Flavonoid, a medicine of natural origin. Contributes to the narrowing of the vessels of norepinephrine on the venous walls. Increases the tone and lowers the venous capacity.
- Issopin. Flavonoid activates the body's enzymes. Widely applicable in traditional and traditional medicine. Antioxidant. It is appreciated for its ability to maintain the cardiovascular system, prolong youth and even life.
- Hesperidin. Natural medicine that strengthens blood vessels and improves blood circulation. Used to prevent the pathology of veins. The strongest cardioprotector.
- Resins They are similar in composition to the essential oil. In uncured form - balm. They have a wide spectrum of action: bactericidal, laxative, anthelmintic, wound healing.
- Vitamins. The composition has a large proportion of ascorbic acid, as well as A, B, E, PP, K and D.
- Trace elements - manganese, selenium, copper, calcium, iron, chlorine, boron, fluorine, flint, tungsten.
- Ursolic acid - often used in sports circles and an excellent means for obesity. It is an inhibitor of cancer cells. It has antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, hepatoprotective, immunomodulating, anti-tumor properties.
The use of hyssop ordinary
On the territory of the Russian Federation, hyssop is not used in traditional medicine, but folk healers actively and widely use this herb:
- Bronchitis, laryngitis, tracheitis and other chronic diseases of the upper respiratory tract.
- Bronchial asthma.
- Angina pectoris
- Excessive perspiration.
- Diseases of the digestive system (colitis, rheumatism).
- Purulent skin diseases caused by staphylococcus.
Infusions from this plant have a multilateral effect on the body:
Bulgarian herbalists use the collection as an expectorant, for constipation, dyspepsia, anemia. Doctors prescribe a healing substance for intestinal catarrh, chronic bronchitis, sweating. Antimicrobial properties are appreciated.
France, Germany, Romania, Sweden and Portugal officially included hyssop (tops of stems, leaves, flowers) in their pharmacopoeias.
Contraindications to the use of hyssop
Any treatment must begin with a list of contraindications. This plant is not an exception and has its own nuances that require attention.
It is important to know that hyssop, refers to poorly-living plants and requires the use of a serious and respectful attitude. The correct step would be to consult a doctor and a preliminary examination. Sometimes an individual approach and dosage is required.
What to look for:
- You can not continuously, for a long time to take the drug.
- In epilepsy, treatment with this collection is contraindicated.
- Dosing and excessive consumption can cause cramps.
- People with kidney disease cannot use herbs for medicinal purposes.
- Hypertensive patients do not prescribe the use of hyssop.
- Increased acidity - is the reason to refuse to use.
- Children under 12 years old are not allowed to take it.
- Lactation can completely stop under the action of a substance.
Pregnancy. The collection, taken in any form, can cause spontaneous interruption of gestation.
For overall development ...
- For the first time this grass was mentioned in the Bible. It was used as a sprinkler in the composition of the holy water by the Jews. With it, the rite of purification was performed.
- In Russia, the interest was shown by the clergy. Hyssop was grown in monasteries and used in church rituals.
- Quite often, this plant serves as an additive in the manufacture of alcohol and fruit drinks.
How to apply hyssop containing medicinal substances to children?
In the usual dosage, let us accept children from 12 years old, but, having reduced the rate twice, the treatment can be started from 2 years.
In the composition there is bitterness, improves digestion and provokes appetite. It is also a storehouse of a valuable vitamin complex, which has a beneficial effect on the immune system and the general condition of the body. If necessary, to cure cough and bronchitis, decoctions, teas, infusions of flowers and leaves are applicable to children.
The plant has healing properties both in fresh and in dried form: in traditional medicine, flowering shoots are mainly used, oil from the stems and leaves of the hyssop is used for cosmetic purposes. In cooking, the plant is used as a spice to improve the taste of the finished dishes.
In traditional and traditional medicine
Hyssopus officinalis refers to a rare group of universal use. With rare exceptions, it is used in almost any ailment: in diseases of the respiratory and cardiovascular systems, in the treatment of skin diseases, bruises and wounds. It is considered one of the most effective means in the treatment of female diseases and diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
The essential oil, extracts and cosmetic water of the plant are used. Tonics and tinctures based on it help relieve puffiness and improve skin condition, relieve redness and help with acne. Essential oil is used for bathing and relaxing massage. When fading and flaky skin helps cosmetic masks with the addition of oil and fresh herbs of the plant.
In addition, hyssop oil is used for the manufacture of perfumes, perfumes and toilet water. In agriculture, the plant is used to repel pests. In cooking, not only fresh and dry shoots of plants are used, but also natural hyssop honey. Due to the unique spicy aroma, the plant combines perfectly with fish and meat products, it is added to confectionery and pickles.
The use of hyssop has a wide range of actions:
Regular use of plant-based remedies adapts to external irritating factors, increases the endurance of the organism as a whole, and increases psycho-emotional stability. Hyssop officinalis is often used as an antidepressant: taking medications based on it helps to eliminate confusion, apathy, increases concentration. It is an excellent adaptogen, and will have a sedative effect on the nervous system.
Essential oil of hyssop is used in hair care. It has anti-inflammatory effect, helps with acne. Oil well nourishes the skin, restores healthy shine and restores elasticity. It is used as a natural antiperspirant, compresses with oil blink to eliminate excessive sweating. Used to eliminate papillomas, corns and warts. Cleans the skin from redness, relieves puffiness, has a rejuvenating effect.
Recipe for hair care: Home remedy can be used to care for any type of hair. In 15 ml of any shampoo you need to add 2 drops of cosmetic oil of hyssop, mix and apply to damp hair. Recommended treatment for weak and splitting hair: 30 days. This recipe will help get rid of dandruff, to restore the natural shine to hair.
The action of the plant is not for nothing called universal. It can be attributed to almost any group of drugs. Tinctures and decoctions of hyssop show an antiseptic and hypertensive effect, are used as a febrifuge and expectorant. In folk medicine, it has spread as a diaphoretic and antispasmodic, it is used to treat female diseases, with male impotence, to improve potency and to treat prostatitis.
Hyssop officinalis has a beneficial effect on the circulatory system, tones the digestive system. One of the few remedies used to treat herpes.
From skin diseases
- Hyssop herb - 1 tbsp. l
- Daisy flowers - 2 tbsp. l
- Horsetail - 2 tbsp. l
- Water - 300 ml
Prepare herbal tea and brew boiling water. Let stand for 2 hours, then strain through several layers of gauze. Use for compresses for pustular lesions, dermatitis, weeping eczema.
Compress with bruises
- Hyssop grass (fresh) - 5-6 branches
To remove the hematoma and remove the swelling after a strong injury, you need to take a few sprigs of fresh grass from the hyssop and grind them in a meat grinder or blender to obtain a slurry. Apply the freshly prepared mixture to the affected places as a compress for 25-30 minutes 3 times a day.
In Russian official medicine, hyssop is not recognized as a medicinal plant due to the lack of evidence of its use and safety. However, Bulgarian, Romanian, Swedish doctors prescribe this herb for many diseases, using its anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. Also, the use of hyssop officinalis popular in the practice of folk doctors. The plant is used in inflammatory diseases of different etiology and localization. It is considered a source of valuable essential oil, normalizing the work of the nervous system.
Hyssop officinalis has long been considered a weed plant, the reason for this is the frequent growth of wild species near the dwelling, as well as on the roadsides. Now this plant is actively cultivated as a quality spice, as well as for obtaining valuable essential oil.
In its homeland, in the Mediterranean countries, hyssop grows in the wild on the dry stony soils of hillsides and hills. It is grown everywhere as an ornamental plant due to its bright and long flowering. The conditions of Central Asia, Southern Ukraine, the European part of Russia and the Caucasus Mountains are suitable for cultivation. In the field of cultivation it is able to transform into a wild-growing form, the therapeutic properties of which are gradually reduced, therefore the places of plantations are regularly changed every five years.
Hyssopus officinalis refers to shrubs. Cultural species have impressive size - up to a meter tall, wild - smaller, up to 50 cm.
- Root. The core root system is represented by an impressive central root, able to woody, and numerous lateral roots.
- Stem. From the root there are several erect stems, the surface of which may have pubescence or be bare. The stems have a tetrahedral cylindrical shape, actively branching, with time at root become woody.
- Leaves. Larger located at the bottom of the stems, small - about inflorescences. The scape is short or absent. The shape of the leaves is lanceolate or linear-lanceolate, the edges are wrapped slightly down. Length varies from 2 cm to 4 cm.
- Flowers From three to seven small flowers form a one-sided spike inflorescence emerging from the sinus of the upper leaf. The corolla is colored blue, bright purple, less often pink.
- Fetus. Difficult, resembles a box, splits into four parts containing seeds, called erems.
Hyssopus officinalis blooms in July. With prolonged warm summer flowering continues until September. The period of fruiting begins in August, ends in October, when all fruits fall down on their own. A characteristic feature of the plant is the presence of a spicy smell in all its parts.
Raw shoots of hyssop are young shoots with inflorescences. It is worth starting to collect from the beginning of June to the beginning of July, when the plant only blooms.
- Collection Cut off the green shoots with buds - only the gentle tip. The stiffened part is necessarily left. In favorable climatic conditions, the stems quickly grow and bloom again.
- Training. Grass sorted out for mechanical impurities, as well as vegetable matter. Selected tainted branches, crumbling inflorescences.
- Drying. For drying, the shoots are tied up in small bundles, suspended in a shaded place, preferably with through ventilation. So the plant dries faster. When using dryers, a lower temperature regime (30-40 ° C) is used to preserve the essential oil.
- Storage. After complete drying, the grass is crushed and packed in dense paper or cellophane bags.
The composition of plant materials
The benefits of hyssop officinalis is provided by a high concentration of essential oil. It contains the following volatile substances: Pinocamphon, Limolen, Cyneol, Myrcene, Pinene, Karen, Gumulene, Cymol, Cardinen, Camphene. The most powerful antiseptic is cineol. It gives the hyssop medicinal bactericidal, fungicidal, antiviral properties. In addition to the essential oil, the raw material of the hyssop medicinal contains biologically active substances.
- Flavonoids. Diosmin, Hazsin. They have a vasoprotective effect, normalize blood biochemical parameters, prevent the formation of blood clots, improve the secretion of internal glands, stimulate tissue regeneration, as well as the immune system. They have expectorant and bronchodilatory properties.
- Acids. Triterpene, phenol carbolic, fat. Participants of the exchange processes. Stabilize cell membranes. Possess stimulating digestion action.
- Glycosides. Stimulate the heart, improve the conductivity of nerve fibers, have antispasmodic and diuretic properties.
- Tannins. They have anti-inflammatory, antiseptic effect due to the enveloping effect.
- Bitterness Stimulate the appetite, improve the work of the digestive system, contribute to the development and secretion of bile.
Tincture from constipation
- Hyssop herb (dried) - 1 tbsp. l
- Water - 500 ml
Bring the water to a boil and pour it dried hyssop officinalis. Настойку выдержать в течение 2-3 часов, процедить и принимать по 100 мл 4 раза в день.
- Иссоп трава (сушеная) — 100 г
- Вода — 1 л
Залить сухую траву растения кипятком и настоять до полного остывания. Процеженный настой вылить в ванну. Take therapeutic baths every day for 20-30 minutes. Recommended course - 3 weeks.
- Hyssop herb (dried) - 1 tbsp. l
- Anise (seeds) - 1 tbsp. l
- Fennel (seeds) - 1 tbsp. l
- Raisin - 3 tbsp. l
- Honey - 5 tbsp. l
- Figs - 3 pcs.
- Water - 1 l
Crush the grass and seeds, cut figs into slices. Add raisins and mix well. Mix the mixture with water, heat to boil and boil over low heat for 30-40 minutes. The resulting broth several times through a piece of cheesecloth or small strainer and mix with honey. Herbal syrup taken with a cold for 1 tsp. 5 times a day.
- Ground grass - 2 tsp.
- Water - 1 cup
Heat the water to a boil, pour chopped hyssop grass and insist for an hour. You can use both dry and fresh plant stems. The resulting infusion of strain, pour into a glass dish and store in the refrigerator. Take 50 ml 3 times daily before meals. Recommended course of treatment: 15 days.
- Hyssop leaves (dry) - 1 tbsp. l
- Water - 1 cup
The leaves of the plant are well chopped and brew with boiling water. Put the infusion in a water bath and boil for another 20 minutes. Allow the infusion to cool, then strain and pour into any glass dish. To accept means 3 times a day in 30 minutes prior to food on a quarter of a glass. Recommended course: 14 days, after which you need to take a break of 7 days.
- Hyssop leaves (fresh) - 2 tbsp. l
- Water - 1 l
Fresh leaves of the plant are chopped and filled with hot water. Put the mixture on medium heat and bring to a boil. Insist for 50 minutes, then strain. Drink 3 times a day for 15 minutes before eating 1/4 cup. Prepared for this recipe infusion can be used to treat inflammation in the mouth.
Pharyngitis and laryngitis
- Hyssop officinalis (dry or fresh) - 1 tsp.
- Sage - 1 tsp.
- Water - 1 cup
Bring water to a boil and brew herbal tea. Leave the infusion to cool completely, strain and take 1/2 cup 2 times a day. Recommended course of treatment: 1 week.
- Hyssop dry grass - 4 tbsp. l
- Water - 1 l
Chop dried dried hyssop and add boiling water. Infuse for 60 minutes, then strain and pour into a glass jar. Use the resulting infusion to disinfect wounds and rinsing the mouth. The tool helps to relieve inflammation, to disinfect the place of injury, as well as to get rid of bad breath. Can be used as a cosmetic for washing.
- Hyssop stems with flowers - 8 tbsp. l
- Alcohol - 1 L
Put the stems of the plant in a glass container and pour it with alcohol or vodka. Infuse alcohol mixture for 1 week in a dark cool place. Before use, strain and pour into a dish of dark glass. Store the tincture in the refrigerator. Use only in diluted form: 1 cup of tincture per 1 cup of warm water. Use for rinsing inflammation of the oral cavity 3 times a day.
Diseases of the upper respiratory tract
- Hyssop grass (dry) - 1 tsp.
- Water (boiling water) - 1 glass
Brew grass with hot water and take it as tea. At the first sign of infection, it can be used as an infusion to rinse. For this, the infusion is kept for 2 hours, the field of which is filtered. Heat to room temperature before use.
To relieve fatigue
You can use homemade or finished essential oil of hyssop as a remedy for overwork. to relieve fatigue, it is enough to add a few drops of oil to the spray bottle and spray it indoors. If you add 5 drops in the foot bath with warm water, after 20 minutes you will feel a surge. Used oil to flavor the room. To relieve fatigue after work and improve sleep, put a few drops of oil on a gauze or cotton ball and place it under the pillow.
- Hyssop dry flowers - 2 tbsp. l
- Olive oil - 2 glasses
Place the flowers of hyssop in a jar with a wide neck, best of all from dark glass. Pour a thin stream of flowers with olive oil, hungry. You can use another vegetable oil without smell. Close the jar tightly and leave for 15 days. Strain the oil mixture through gauze or filter paper, pour into a dark bottle and store in the refrigerator.
Application: Oil hood can be used for various purposes. It can be used for soothing baths, rubbing for colds and making cosmetic masks. For colds and sore throats, oil compresses on the throat area are good.
In a jar of dark glass, place 50 g of dried hyssop or several fresh sprigs, pour a liter of any fruit vinegar. Infuse for 14 days in a cool dry place.
Application: Use homemade vinegar for making fresh vegetable salads, you can add to pickles and pickles. It can be used for rinsing the oral cavity during inflammatory processes, for this, in equal parts dissolve with warm water.
For the treatment of cough in children
Despite the fact that when treating children with hyssop-based products it should be very careful, it is quite effective, provided that the recommended dosage is observed. The most effective tool for children is a decoction for the treatment of dry cough and improve appetite.
- For children 2-5 years
The flowers and leaves of the plant in equal parts to brew with boiling water and insist for 30 minutes. The resulting infusion filter, then put in a water bath and cook for another 30 minutes. Cool the broth and add 1 teaspoon of broth to warm tea.
- For children 5-12 years old
Since hyssop officinalis contains a large amount of vitamins, it is useful to give products based on this plant to children in the treatment of cough and for the prevention of colds.
To prepare: 1 part suy herb hyssop and 4 parts hot water. Brew a drink like tea, strain before drinking. Add infusion to tea or hot water, you can add fruit syrup or honey in the absence of an allergic reaction. The recommended dose of a single use of 1 tsp. ready infusion for 1 cup of water.
Hyssop Dosage Forms
Most often, hyssop in medicine is used in the form of decoctions, tinctures, teas and infusions. Broths are usually used to treat diseases of the respiratory tract and eliminate inflammation of the urinary tract, they help to fight colds. Tinctures - for diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, especially they will be useful for colitis and bloating, as well as externally for the treatment of hematomas, wounds and other skin lesions. Infusions are used for rinsing the throat and mouth for inflammation of mucous membranes and stomatitis, with conjunctivitis for washing the eyes, and they also improve appetite. Tea is useful for cough, sore throat and cold. In addition, this tool improves digestion, increases pressure, soothes the nervous system and reduces fever.
- Broth hyssop. In a liter of boiling water, place 100 grams of dried, chopped herbs and flowers of hyssop, then boil the composition for about five minutes. Strain the finished product and mix with 150 grams of sugar. Per day broth can drink no more than 100 ml., It is desirable to divide this dose into three or four doses,
- Infusion of hyssop. Pour 20 grams of dried plant into a thermos, then pour a liter of boiling water there. After half an hour the product will be ready, pour it out of the thermos and then strain it. Take the infusion should be three times a day. In this case, a single dose should be half a glass,
- Tincture of hyssop. Dry white wine (1 liter) mix with 100 grams of dried grass. Soak the remedy for three weeks in a cool, necessary, dark place, shaking the container with it daily. Take the filtered tincture three times a day for a teaspoon.
Recipes of traditional medicine on the basis of hyssop
1. Bronchial asthma and asphyxiation can be prevented with the help of infusion, for this you need to take 4 tablespoons of herbs, carefully chop it, pour it into a thermos, pour 1 liter of water, insist 1 hour. Then strain. Take need to be hot 30 minutes before meals and 1 tbsp. The course of treatment is 1 month.
2. When the gastrointestinal tract is ill, hyperhidrosis, you can drink this broth, for this you will need a teaspoon of small flowers, insist 2 hours, take 3 times a day. It is good to rinse eyes with this broth if they are affected by conjunctivitis.
3. To cure tinnitus and shortness of breath, you can with the help of crushed leaves into powder, be sure to add honey. Take the infusion need for 1 tsp. 3 times a day, drink water.
4. If a person is often worried about respiratory diseases, you can apply this recipe - take 2 teaspoons of dried leaves, pour 1 cup boiling water, insist 20 minutes. Take half a cup twice a day. In cases of bronchitis, you need to take a teaspoon of hyssop, add mother and stepmother, pour 200 ml of boiling water, insist 15 minutes. Drink 2 times a day.
5. Colds can be overcome with the help of this recipe: mix hyssop with mint, pour 200 ml of boiling water, insist, take 1 cup 2 times a day.
6. From laryngitis and pharyngitis will help get rid of the collection of sage, hyssop, for this all you need to mix thoroughly, pour a glass of boiling water, infuse and drink. Take twice a day one week.
7. Get rid of flatulence and colitis will help recipe based on hyssop and white wine, insist one month, shake and take.
8. In cases of impaired appetite, you need to take a decoction of hyssop herb, it will require two tablespoons of chopped herb, insist one hour, drain.
9. Rinse your mouth with gingivitis, stomatitis need infusion with hyssop, it will require 120 ml of alcohol, 20 grams of herbs, insist one week, drain. Take a teaspoon of tincture, dilute it in water, rinse her mouth.
Herbalists advise to collect hyssop during full bloom, at sunrise, in the first phase of the moon - then it has full healing power and will bring maximum benefit.
- Before you cut the grass, be sure to say hello to it and ask permission to collect it. For therapeutic purposes, cut off flowering tops,
- To dry the grass properly, collect it in small bunches and hang it in a ventilated place, but away from the sun,
- Keep hyssop better in a tightly closed container.
In our country, the plant has long been grown in industrial conditions, but they do it mainly to extract the most valuable essential oil from it.
Bright, clean grass, hyssop, which has wonderful healing properties and a minimum of contraindications, regulates the energy of the person as a whole and has a powerful healing effect.