How does the bio-toilet
How does the bio-toilet
Dry closet (biounitaz) for the house is a great invention for the organization of amenities in any of the places where there is no central sewage system. Hygienic and compact dry closets are indispensable at summer houses and traveling, in temporary housing, which is organized for the period of construction of a capital building on a private land plot.
Dry closets produce several types, which can be found in detail here.
Design of liquid and peat dry closets
Dry closets are something else, as autonomous portable capacity for collecting excrements. Regardless of the type, color, size, and manufacturer, toilets consist of several basic elements.
- Top of the toilet. Traditionally, it is a toilet seat with a lid, a tank with water or peat, a button / pump / lever for flushing human waste.
- Bottom of the toilet. In this tank, the very waste of human activity accumulates. Capacity can be supplemented with a ventilation pipe. For waste disposal, a receiving tray is provided, which is removed from the lower tank and emptied, for example, into a compost pile.
As additional elements in dry closets can be:
- small electric fan
- seat heating with electric control (electronic bidet cover),
- sump fullness indicator,
- wheels for easy transportation of containers
Dry closet with wheels
Toilet paper storage tray
Fastenings for stable stationary installation of a dry closet with holes for self-tapping screws
Preparation of a liquid dry closet for work, the principle of action, service
- In order to prepare the liquid bio-toilet for work, it is necessary to disconnect the upper and lower chambers by switching the special lever or latches.
- Next, you should add to the lower tank 2-3 liters of tap water and a special liquid for this tank, containing a large number of microorganisms.
Liquid for a dry closet
Service of a liquid dry closet
Thetford dry closet, lower chamber
Liquid dry closets can be installed indoors and outdoors, but use them at low temperatures is prohibited. Also, biodegradable toilet paper is specially made for such biotoilets (the cost per 4 rolls is about 250 rubles).
Perhaps you are interested in information - types of dry closets
It is necessary to store (in case of a long break in use) the dry closet in a dry room, after having disassembled, emptied and washed out all its elements. Gaskets, seals should be periodically lubricated with special greases (but not petroleum jelly and not vegetable oil).
Preparation of a peat dry closet for work, the principle of action, service
Peat dry closets are usually installed permanently with connection to the ventilation pipe. The assembly is similar to the liquid counterparts. The ventilation pipe is connected with special couplings, which come complete with a toilet.
In the peat composting dry closet, instead of liquids, a special peat mixture containing a certain number of bacteria is used. To prepare the bio-toilet for work, you should pour a little peat on the bottom of the lower tank with a scoop and completely fill the upper tank.
After using the toilet, turn the lever that drives the gears. This mechanism allows you to evenly cover the bottom of the receiver with a fresh portion of peat and cover the feces. Human waste is completely absorbed into the peat mixture and processed into fertilizer. All gases are discharged directly into the ventilation pipe.
Piteco 100 dry closet, peat spreading gear
To clean the bottom of the tank is removed from the toilet tray or internal basket. All content is simply poured into a compost pile, after which the tank is rinsed with water and re-filled with a small portion of the peat mixture.
Of course, during the operation, an unpleasant odor will not annoy you and attract hordes of insects, but while you will empty a sufficiently heavy container, you will still have to enjoy the most appetizing aroma. On the other hand, the peat mixture is cheap, and the waste waste will serve as a good feeding plants.
Design and principle of operation of electric dry closets with combustion chamber
Electric dry closets are equipped with a seat for separate collection of urine and feces. The seat is divided into two parts - front and back with a flap. When you press a miniature button or pedal, the flap opens and solid waste goes straight into the collection tank.
Inside the receiver tank are heating elements, due to which all waste is turned into ashes. Waste burning time is about one and a half hours. In about 3 months of continuous use of one person by a dry toilet, about 200 grams of ash can accumulate, which means extremely rare maintenance and cleaning of the tank. But for the best quality of work, it is recommended to clean the ash tray once a week.
Electric toilets require not only the inclusion of a power source, but also the organization of an exhaust vent pipe through which odors will evaporate from the storage tank without penetrating inside the room.
Most models require the installation of disposable bags under the toilet seat. These packages are burned along with the contents after pressing a special button.
Dry closets of electric type are not afraid of shutdowns of electricity. The provided batteries ensure uninterrupted operation.
The design and principle of operation of electric dry closets with the freezing chamber
If electric dry closets with a road burning chamber, then with a freezing chamber - 2-3 times more expensive. Not everyone can afford such a bio-toilet.
The principal difference between such dry closets - waste products are quickly frozen in a storage tank, like a freezer. At the same time there is no unpleasant odors and reproduction of microbes.
Under the seat are also disposable bags, which, as filling is removed and disposed of in the trash. The system is powered by batteries and a power supply source.
The design and principle of operation of liquid-free dry closets
Toilets liquid-free disposable
Liquid-free biotoilets are a frame with a toilet seat, under which is mounted a bag for collecting faeces. The dry closet for the home can be both a complex construction with rollers, rewinding the film after using the toilet, and as simple as possible with disposable bags that attach adhesive tape under the seat.
The simplest liquid-free biotoilet for camping
Such a system works very simply. As soon as you go to the toilet, all liquid and solid waste is collected at the bottom of the bag. Next, the bag can be filled with cat litter or any other absorbent mixture to be reused, or you can simply remove it and throw it into the trash.
What is a peat toilet to give
Work of a peat dry closet is based on the principles of a mineralization of waste. Due to the presence of biologically active components in peat, human waste products are processed into compost. If the peat toilet device is not included in your plans with your own hands, you can purchase a finished product that is notable for its convenience and ease of use.
Since peat has some bactericidal properties, it not only decomposes waste, but also eliminates odors. The natural filler absorbs excess liquid. Cleaning of the storage tank is carried out 1 time for two months.
For operation and maintenance of such a device does not need water, sewage and electricity. The resulting compost mixture can be used at the dacha as a fertilizer. It is quite simple to take care of the toilet - you need to periodically clean the storage tank and fill up the peat. For cleansing use a soap solution.
Advantages and disadvantages of peat toilets
A peat do-it-yourself toilet peeler or a purchase product gives the owner the following advantages:
- Peat removes unpleasant odors. You do not need to use special deodorizing agents.
- Installation of the device can be performed inside the house when repairs are being done there.
- Purchased devices are mobile. They can be moved and installed anywhere.
- Reasonable price and simple maintenance are additional advantages of peat dry closets.
- Functionality and original appearance. The product will harmoniously fit into a country house or a country building in a rustic style.
The disadvantage of this model is that it needs a separate well-ventilated room or building to install the structure. It is possible to use both a separate building and an extension to the house. This is due to the fact that peat cannot completely neutralize unpleasant odors.
Principle of operation
The dry closet working with use of peat consists of the following making elements:
- there is a box for the peat mixture on top, a mechanism for the distribution of the filler is immediately located,
- in the lower tank the waste is processed and composted,
- a toilet with a lid is installed on the lower tank,
- A hose for disposal of liquid waste goes from the storage tank below, a ventilation pipe is installed just above for the removal of gases.
The principle of operation of such a toilet is the following: peat is poured into the tank before using it, the same is done after the waste enters the peat layer. Since peat for peat toilets is used constantly, a bucket with a filler and a spatula is installed next to the toilet to fill it.
When the waste gets into the tank, they are mixed with peat and processed by the contained substances into the compost mass. After extraction, the recycled mixture is transferred to a compost pit, where it must be aged for some time before being used as a fertilizer.
During the transformation, waste products are processed into the following components:
- part of the liquid is discharged through the tube into the ground, and part just evaporates through the vent pipe,
- compost is obtained from solid waste,
- during composting, carbon dioxide is produced, which is discharged through the ventilation system.
When constructing a ventilation system, take care of its sufficient height and minimum number of bends.
Important! If the dry closet will be used by a large number of people, then it is better to equip the forced ventilation system.
What peat toilet to choose to give
When choosing a composting toilet, pay attention to the following characteristics:
- Dimensions of the product must comply with the space provided for installation. Pay special attention to the height of the stool and take into account the needs of all family members.
- The cleaning frequency depends on the volume of the storage tank. It is important to consider the number of people who will use the product, the frequency of use and the desired regularity of cleaning.
- Especially convenient models with a fill sensor. This option allows you to set exactly when the system needs cleaning.
- Load on seat Usually, finished models are designed for loads up to 125 kg, but there are products that can withstand a weight of up to 250 kg.
Consider some popular varieties of ready-made peat devices.
This is a Finnish peat toilet with a large storage tank. In the model, a mixture of peat and sawdust is used as a filler. Also on sale is a model Ekomatik domestic production. It has all the advantages of the Finnish product. In addition, the domestic model is equipped with a thermo-seat, which increases the comfort of operating the device in the winter season. The price of a dry closet Ekomatik is within $ 250-350.
Russian-made peat toilet does not need to be connected to the water supply or sewerage network. The compost tank has special flaps that facilitate its unloading. Also, the model has a special filtration system. The price of this product ranges from 91.7-116.7 dollars.
This is another model of domestic manufacture. The device has two chambers (for liquid and solid waste). Features of bio-toilets Biolan in an improved drainage system. These are quite expensive modifications, the price of which is between $ 300- $ 325.
How to install a peat toilet in the country
Installing peat toilet in the country with their own hands is performed in the following sequence:
- First, a wooden box is made, in which a plastic storage container will be installed later. The dimensions of the box should be slightly larger than the size of the storage tank. Wooden boxes, plywood and screws are used to make the box. Plastic container size you can buy in the store.
- A plywood sheet with a hole under the plastic bucket is mounted on top of the box. The cover with a hole is screwed on metal hinges so that it can be opened if necessary.
- A wooden box is opened with varnish or painted with paint. Such a coating will make the design washable and hygienic, protects against microorganism damage.
- A plastic or wooden toilet seat is attached on top of the cover. It is selected by the size of the hole.
- At the bottom of the plastic tank, a small hole is made in which the tube for sealing the liquid is sealed. To prevent clogging of the drainage line at the entrance to the tube is installed strainer.
- After that, the box is installed in a suitable room with ventilation. They put a plastic bucket in it and close the lid with the toilet seat. At the bottom of the bucket pour 5 cm of peat. For the season you will need about a bag of peat (the exact amount depends on the number of family members and the frequency of use).
If there is high humidity in the tank and the toilet itself, the tank should be cleaned more often or the drainage system should be changed. Check the drain angle, it should be at least 6-8 °.
Ready mixes for peat toilets
For the operation of such a device, special mixtures for peat toilets are used:
- The cheapest option is the usual peat, which, after processing waste, allows to obtain fertilizer for the garden. Only dry peat is suitable for use.
- Peat-based bioactivators are more active.
- Also, as a filler, a mixture of sawdust and peat is used. Usually, the ingredients are mixed in a ratio of 1 to 1. However, when using such a composition, the volume of the storage tank should be increased to 50 liters, because the recycling process will be slower.
Important! It is forbidden to add ash and lime to peat.
Toilet Care Rules
Care peat toilets quite simple. The bottom tank should be cleaned as it is filled. To do this, it is disconnected from the upper hull and transferred to the compost pit. If the design is equipped with a rotary drain pipe, the tank is easily emptied. After that the container is rinsed with water and detergent.
Important! It is better to use special detergents containing active ingredients that quickly decompose organic compounds and eliminate unpleasant odors. They are well remove even the old pollution and ingrained odors.