Geese nests should be located in the location of your choice about 30 days before the moment the clutch starts. Only in this way chicks will have time to get used to the new conditions. Nests for domestic geese can be very diverse: it can be a basket with litter of straw or hay, or even a tire from a car that is suitable in diameter and filled with litter material.
It is important not to forget to adapt a small ladder or a ladder to the nest so that the bird can get inside. Some craftsmen make nests for geese from a construction grid in the form of a pipe, lining the internal space with straw. But if you have a lot of birds, traditional wooden blocks placed on the floor of the house will work best.
Choosing an installation site
Willful females, who for some reason did not like the prepared places, will try to arrange nesting places on their own, sometimes in an absolutely inappropriate place. To avoid this, try to take into account the "wishes" of birds, then it will be easier to accustom the goose to the nest. Unlike other poultry, nesting for geese should be installed directly on the floor of the house, choosing a place in the shade where there are no drafts and dampness. At the same time, you should be able to freely access the hatching site, to collect eggs and to regularly replace the litter material.
Make a place for egg-laying can be from scrap materials available in each farm. True, there are several limitations: you should not use metal as a base, because geese always try to hide eggs in the litter, and when in contact with cold metal it is highly likely that the shell will break or the contents of the egg freeze.
Nest in the form of a box
The design is a wooden section with several compartments. To make it, you will need wooden lining, bars, screws, plywood sheet or wide board for the bottom, hammer, handsaw and tape measure. The slats are cut in accordance with the size of the future box, fastened to the support bars with self-tapping screws. After that, you should mount the bottom, attach the front limit plate so that you get a wide manhole for birds. After that, it remains to attach a ladder, process the wood with protective compounds, fill the boxes with litter, and all - it is time to accustom the goose to a new place.
If a small number of geese live on your farm, it is better to make wicker nests for them. Birds are very fond of such a haven: natural material and natural round shape attract females, no need to rack their brains, how to accustom them to a new nest. For work, you need fresh willow twigs, a sharp knife, a special awl and a thick metal wire ring. First you need to weave a cross, gradually giving it a rounded shape.
Then they form a frame: in the center you need to cut through 3 rods and place another 3 in the hole. The next - the seventh twig - is fixed on the side of the cross made at the beginning. All elements are carefully leveled, and on the opposite side, another 1 twig is fastened, from which the braid will be formed.
We begin to weave the bottom, stacking the turns close to each other until the future of the bottom reaches the desired size. To form the side walls, you need to prepare dense and strong rods, each of which must be well sharpened with a sharp knife. The resulting guides place around the entire circumference of the product at regular intervals. Now braid them in the same way as the bottom before you reach the required height. The edges can be decorated with a decorative pigtail. It is time to install the ring: collect all the rays in one bundle, fix them with wire, and insert the ring into the structure, fixing it on the sides.
Nests for geese, where the female will hatch the young, created with their own hands, you need to further prepare. You will need disinfection before laying. Only straw is used as bedding; Laz should be hung with a piece of clean fabric, with clean water and fresh food nearby. The nest should be placed in a warm room to avoid overcooling eggs.
It is important to remember that if the eggs are transferred from the nest where the goose carried them to another box, the bird may refuse to sit on them, it is better to leave the clutch in the same place.
The optimal size of the nests for goose
The features of the nests should include:
- Big size. Recommended parameters: height 0.6 m, length 0.65 m, width 0.5 m. These figures are approximate and should be adjusted to the breed of geese, their dimensions. As a rule, one of the walls of the nest rests against the wall of the shed, that is, it is made deaf, and the second one provides for a manhole to enter the nest.
- The design, unlike the nests for chickens, is put on the floor in a dark place, as geese do not like bright lighting. If several hens are in the same room at the same time, their nests should be fenced off from each other. If the goose has already rushed to this or that place, it is not recommended to move the nest, so as not to injure the mind of the feathered mother.
- It is important to take care of preparing a place for hatching eggs in advance - about a month before the beginning of the mating season (January-February). Goose takes time to adapt to the nest, to equip it.
- In the roaster and the nest should be the same litter. It is better to change it in the evening, as geese usually rush in the morning.
If the geese live in one herd, then you need to provide enough space for each individual.
Reused or reused recycle baskets must be well sanitized before being put back into service.What size should a goose nest be
Types of homemade nests:
- in the form of a box (you can hammer together from any wooden materials or use a finished box),
- wicker basket of twigs (ready-made variants are sold, or you can weave them yourself),
- baskets of fruit, covered with zastilkoy.
Consider how to make the first two options.
How to make nests for domestic geese - instructions
Option 1 - a nest in the form of a box.
For manufacturing will require:
- slats, wooden blocks or lining (if the material is not new, it is necessary to clean it from dust, mold, sanitize),
- fixing materials
- saw, tape measure, hammer,
- plywood for the bottom,
- Saw lining on rails of the same size. Two side walls should be 0.6 m, two 0.5 m.
- Take four bars as a support, nail the slats to them at a distance of about 4 cm so that the bird cannot stick its head. It is necessary to leave free space in the fourth wall, having made only the threshold and nailed a pair of rails on top.
- If the floor in the goose is cold, you need to install a piece of plywood on the bottom. In no case should the bottom be made metal, as birds can bury eggs in the litter, and they can break on the metal bottom.
- Treat the wooden structure with a protective compound.
At the same time, the front wall should be convenient for bird entry and exit. At the bottom of the structure under the litter, you can put a thin layer of ash, which will help in the prevention of the appearance of parasites.
Option 2 - wicker nest of wicker
To work will require:
- willow twigs of different thickness (thick suitable for creating the base, thin for the walls),
- spacer with a diameter of 75 cm.
- Cross weave. It should take a round shape. For weaving will require an odd number of rods, one rod should be slightly shorter than the others. Three rods in the middle are cut with a knife, three other rods are threaded through them. Another rod attached to one side of the cross. All sides should have the same length. From the other edge, you need to insert a rod in the crevice for further braiding. Then you can proceed to the braiding of the cross with a rod crosswise. All coils must be tightly squeezed together, and the end of the last coil must be tucked parallel to the rib. We need to weave until the spider gets the right diameter. In our case, it is 70 cm.
- Preparation of the sidewall design. To do this, insert the side rods, they must be round and large with a pointed end. In our example, we use 29 rays. During weaving it is important to adhere to the same distance between the side rods. You can combine rods of different colors to get an unusual pattern.
- Braid edge. The edges of the construction braid pigtails.
- It remains to bend the rays and collect the ends of the side rods over the structure and tie them in the center with wire.
- Inside the product place the spacer ring, securing it to the side.
- Bring the ends of braided rods to the outside in order to cut them further.
- Bound rays need to dissolve at a height of 20 cm and braid the edges of the basket with any edge.
- Bend the second edge first, at the third level, bend over 5 cm and trim. Then insert this segment parallel to the third edge inside the edge.
- It will remain the last twist.
- Stabbing ends cut off with a knife.
Where to install the socket and how to properly equip it
The design is not recommended to put close to the cold wall or in a place with bright lighting.
It should be a quiet nook, but at the same time it should be convenient for you to inspect the nest, collect eggs, change litter.
Before you put a goose in the nest, you must pour chips, sand or finely chopped straw into it.
When there are several chicks in the room at the same time, they separate their own plots for each one and enclose them with a wall so that the birds do not see each other and cannot fight or confuse the nests. It is also important not to allow goose beaks to head.
If you use the goose again for further incubation, in no case transplant it into another nest, it will become a real stress for her.
In order for the hen to adapt to the new house, it is important to make sure that the first egg she laid was in it, and not past.
If the goose is satisfied with the new design, she begins to pluck out feathers and lay out the bottom of the nest with them.
To consolidate the result, it is important to take care and in general about comfortable conditions for hens.
It is important to ensure the temperature regime in the house, the desired length of daylight hours. Farmers can help the goose get used to the nest by putting dummies that arouse a hatching reflex.
Purpose and basic requirements
The nest is necessary for geese to rush there and hatch eggs - it is cozy and warm for birds. The place of residence of animals should be separate for each family of birds. Since these birds are quite large, they need a lot of space, so the nest needs to be built appropriately: the width should be at least half a meter, length - 0.65 m, height - 0.65 m.
But it is still better to focus on the size of specific animals and, if necessary, to increase these measures.
The end wall must be deaf - for example, it can rest against the wall of the shed. It is also important to make a hole for easy entry and exit from the socket. You can often notice near the entrance threshold, the height of which does not exceed one meter.
The nest must be placed on the floor - this is how it differs from the chicken house, and it is best in dark places for the geese to fly well. During such periods they do not tolerate bright light and other people and animals nearby. If you have purchased more than one layer, take care of the partitions between the nests. It is not necessary to change the place of the previous clutch - it hurts the bird, and it will stop rolling and hatching eggs. At the bottom of the nest you need to lay a litter.
In order to build a wooden nest, you will need to use:
- dry oriented strand board,
- four bars for a support with a diameter of 5 cm,
- fasteners in the form of screws or nails,
- with a hammer
- tape measure
- plywood or board for the bottom.
The most convenient nests are presented in the form of rectangular sections with many drawers. Suitable for farms where geese are kept en masse.
Goose nests do it yourself: video
To make your own house for birds, follow the instructions:
- First you need to prepare the slats. Cut out fragments of the same size from a plank or lining. Side walls should be 60 cm in length. There must be two walls. Also prepare 2 end pieces of 50 cm each, but one of them will have a hole for the manhole.
- Next, you should sheathe the frame. To do this, take the strips and nail them to the four bars, which serve as a support structure. Between the slats should be equal intervals (5 cm). This is necessary so that the goose head does not crawl through the hole.
- After this, engage in the design of the front wall. All the walls are the same, except the fourth - it is the entrance. It should be limited to two rails and a threshold at the bottom: then the eggs will not roll out and straw will not fall out.
- Nail the bottom. Warm the floor with foam, then install the box. If the house for birds will stand on concrete, it is better to build a wooden floor so that it is warmer and softer.
- Treat the wood with a special means of protection against pests and excess moisture, but be sure to ensure that it does not harm the health of birds.
When and where to put the nest geese
Put a house for the birds on the floor in a dark not blown place. Maintain dry and fresh air in sections. Make sure that each layer has its own nest for laying eggs. You can also keep geese families: in this case, the goose can have three geese in a common area.
Birds will be better if the hole for entry and exit will be located on the south side. Do not forget to take care of the fact that it was convenient for you to get the eggs, to change the litter. The flooring should be changed daily, otherwise it will pollute the eggs. If this has already happened, wipe them with peroxide or potassium permanganate.
It is best to install housing for birds thirty days before their mating season. Therefore, the building should be ready for January or February. Such conditions must be observed for the reason that the bird gets used to a new place for a long time. So, we were convinced that housing for geese can be built independently. Also, depending on the number of birds, you can choose the desired type of nest: wooden or wicker.
The main thing is to settle animals in time, to find a suitable place so that they are warm and comfortable. Obviously, having studied a simple step-by-step instruction, you can easily equip your pets with housing.
Geese differ from other domestic birds primarily in their dimensions. These birds are not small, they require enough space for their content and large enough nests.
So, nests for laying geese have a number of such features:
- They have a solid size, the approximate dimensions for a goose nest are: width is about 0.5 m, length is 0.65 m, height is 0.6-0.65 m. But here everything can vary depending on the breed and size of your pets. As a rule, one of the end walls is made deaf; it will rest against the wall of the shed. And in the second, a large manhole is made so that the bird can seamlessly enter the nest. Sometimes they make a nut no more than 0.1 m.
- Nests for geese are installed on the floor, unlike chicken. It is desirable to place them in darkened corners, because the birds can not rush in front of strangers and in bright light. For this they need a darkened and secluded corner. In addition, if you plan to seat several layers in the same room, then the nests for them should be separated from each other. As a rule, the goose sits on the clutch in the place where it had previously rushed. If you move it and the clutch, it can injure the bird and it can refuse further incubation.
- Installation of goose nests is advised to engage in about a month before the beginning of the mating season in geese. As a rule, it is January - February, the female should look at the nest, start pulling out the fluff and lay it on the place of the future clutch. It is important for the female to get used to carry eggs in a certain place.
- At the bottom of the nest it is advised to lay the same litter as in the goose-hole. It is advisable to put a fresh layer of bedding in the evening, because, as a rule, geese rush in the morning.
Among other things, keep in mind that there should be one nest for 3-4 geese.
Many breeders who divide the goose flock into families consisting of 3-4 females and one male, for each such family allocate their own corner and their nest. If your birds are kept by one friendly herd, just make sure that all geese have enough nests.
If you use nests that have already been in operation or, for example, have adapted old boxes or baskets for these purposes, then such constructions should be pre-sanitized. For this, a 2% caustic soda solution, a 1% formalin solution or a 2% bleach solution is suitable.
Making a nest for a goose with your own hands is a snap. In addition, you can always use what you have on hand. Например, замечено, что гусыни очень любят гнездиться в старых корзинах, лишь бы те были соответствующего размера.Some breeders fit old car tires, however, we believe that this is not a good idea.
It can be inconvenient for the bird to step over the tire in order to get to the center of the improvised nest. We suggest you consider the option of how to make a nest for the goose with your own hands, using wooden slats or lining.
Tools and materials
We suggest making a nest out of wood, as it is a natural and non-toxic material that does not exactly harm the rushing and laying out laying of the bird.
So, for the manufacture of nesting places with your own hands, you will need:
- Lining, wooden bars or slats, in a word, what you have specifically. Another need four bars with a diameter of about 5-6 cm, they will serve as supports. The material can be used, the main thing is to check that the wood is free from mold or rot. It is advisable to clean it, peel the old paint, if any.
- Nails, screws or other fasteners.
- Hammer, saw, tape measure.
- Material for bedding, plywood or a piece of wood for the bottom, which if desired can also be made.
And then we invite you to take a break and watch an interesting video about what happens when eggs from one nest get into another!
Features goose nests
The equipment for laying eggs and incubating the offspring in the house should be taken with all the responsibility so that it would be comfortable for the goose to stay there for a long time. The goose is a large bird and its nests are different from chicken nests.
- First of all, they should be spacious enough. Standard sizes: width - 50 cm, length - 65-70 cm, height - 60-70 cm. For hatching eggs, nests can be deeper. The size of the nest can be adjusted, depending on the breed of geese - larger or smaller.
- The rear wall adjacent to the wall of the room will be deaf. In front of the set bounding board height of 10-15 cm, to hold the litter.
Nests from the old desk
Standard sizes for test jacks
Standard sizes for regular jacks
On the diagram of the nest for chickens. For geese you need to make nests more spacious.
When building nests from scrap materials (boxes, baskets, tires), they must be disinfected with 2% caustic soda solution, 1% formalin or 2% bleach.
Where to install nests
A stubborn goose, who didn’t like the standard sections or simply didn’t have enough space at the right moment, can make a nest right on the ground or on a concrete base, in a secluded place. For comfort, you can put a sheet of slate for it at an angle to the wall, and warm the floor with clean bedding or foam plastic.
A goose can make a nest at the wrong place.
Unlike chicken analogs, goose nests are set directly on the floor. Place should choose a darkened, away from drafts. Sections should be constantly dry, well ventilated.
Goose prefers to hatch and nestlings in one nest. Ideally, each layer hen should have its own personal "apartment".
If a breeder grows geese with families (3-4 females per goose), then each such family should have its own corner and its nesting place on an unlit area. The entrance is preferably arranged on the south side. Birds that are raised in a common flock should also have the required number of seats.
Goose on eggs
Nest locations should be accessible for regular review, collection of eggs and bedding replacement. In order for the eggs not to be contaminated (this impairs their incubation capabilities), it is important to change the litter every day. Dirty eggs must be cleaned no later than two hours after they are torn down. For this purpose, suitable hydrogen peroxide solution and potassium permanganate.
Goose eggs can be cleaned with a solution of potassium permanganate
How to properly equip a goose nest
Before laying eggs, crushed material similar to litter is poured at the bottom of the nests: chopped corncobs, straw, peat, sand, sunflower husks or millet husks. For the prevention of parasites, a little ash is poured into the bottom. Then the female will cover everything with her down. Rumble females in the morning, every other day. Therefore, it is better to update litter in the evening, so that it will always be dry, clean, hygroscopic, and free from mold, as its quality affects the health of geese. In the wet nest the feather of the female is dirty, it does not keep warm, the hen's immunity falls. At the first signs of dampness, it is neutralized with lime-fluff. Up to 40 kg of litter is required per 1 head per year, therefore it is important to prepare material in advance.
It is important to update bedding on time.
Geese tolerate negative temperatures well, but if there are 4 degrees of frost in the nest and lower, the eggs freeze slightly, and the chickens will not be bred from them during incubation. That is why it is so important to equip good-quality warmed nests in unheated premises in the winter time.
Until daylight hours near 14 o'clock, to increase egg production from 6 to 20 hours you need to turn on the electricity.
It is important not to allow husaks to hen hens. It should also be controlled so that the birds do not fight, do not confuse their nests.
If a goose is used repeatedly for hatching eggs, it is absolutely not recommended to transfer it to another nest. This will be a serious stress for her. To a caring mother did not refuse to incubate offspring, enclose other people's fresh (no more than 10 days old) eggs in a familiar environment.
A goose will quickly get used to a new house for her if she carries her first egg in it. Confirmation that she chose him may be a fluff that the female plucks, a carving of the chosen nest.
Goose puts its down in the nest
To awaken a hatching reflex, farmers enclose special dummies in their nests.
The creation of general comfort conditions for geese will help to fix the result: birds do not tolerate stuffiness and high humidity. The length of daylight should also be adjusted with additional lighting.
Lamp for additional lighting
We build a nest for laying eggs
It is easy to make a nest, besides, you can always use the available materials in the household. It is not recommended to make metal nests, since layers sometimes hide eggs under straw and when they come into contact with a cold surface, especially in winter, they break or freeze. We need an environmentally friendly material: in the first version, wooden lining, in the second - wicker.
Dimensions of construction
Option One: a nest in the form of a wooden box
Compact rectangular sections with several nest-boxes, occupying a minimum of poultry house space, are indispensable in large farms, where a flock of geese has several hundred heads. Making such a nest does not take much time and effort.
Tools and materials:
- strips, wall paneling, OSB - all that was found in the farm. You can use and not a new tree, the main thing - that it was not mold and dust,
- bars for support - 4 pieces 5-6 cm in diameter,
- fasteners (screws, nails, etc.),
- tools: hammer, tape measure, saw,
- plywood or board for the bottom (if you want to install it).
Step 1. Prepare slats. It is necessary to cut the slats or lining into identical fragments. For side walls, the length of the rails will be 60-70 cm. There are two of them to be prepared. You will also need two end blanks 50 cm long, in one of them you have to make a manhole for the goose.
Preparing the support rails
Step 2. We sheathe the frame. To support four bars nail the planks with small intervals. The gap may be 5-6 cm, the main thing is that the goose's head does not fit into it.
Making the markup on the sheet OSB
Markup mark the line for cutting material
Step 3. We make the front wall. Three walls should be the same in appearance, and on the front they leave free entry, limiting it with a pair of rails on top and a small (10 cm) powder from below, so that eggs do not roll out and straw does not fall out.
Step 4. We nail the bottom. You can install the box directly on the floor insulated with foam plastic. On bare concrete base it is better to make the bottom of wooden boards or plywood.
We screw the prepared bars to the edges of the slats and collect the nests
Fixing of all elements with screws
Fasten the end strips
Step 5. Protect the wood. To extend the life of the tree treated with protective agents. Choose those products that are not toxic to birds.
Three nests for geese
Step 6. Build a bridge. To make it easy for the goose to climb, it is necessary to build a wooden lattice-bridge across the width of the nest. The ladder is attached to the nut.
The nest is ready. Make them in the required quantity and place them far from the draft in the dimly lit part of the house without leaning tightly against the cold walls. Most often the nests are located on the side walls of the house.
Option Two: wicker nest
At the dacha, in a small home farm, a flock of geese, as a rule, is few, for several geese you can make a wicker nest. Such baskets are very popular with geese: a warm natural material, the usual round shape, as in the wild, light construction is well ventilated.
Tools and materials:
- fresh willow rods of various thickness and length (thick for the base, thin for the sides),
- metal spacer (diameter - 75 cm),
- tools - knife, awl.
In order for the geese to be healthy and quickly become heavy, certain care conditions must be observed:
- the possibility of walking with the obligatory presence of a mounted shelter for recreation, as well as a pond or artificial swimming pool,
- green meadow
- spacious poultry house, equipped with special feeders, drinking bowls, a tank filled with sand for cleaning feathers from various parasites, and well-appointed nests for geese.
Already from about the middle of winter, you should prepare places for hatching eggs. This is necessary so that caring moms have enough time to choose the nest they like.
There are several proposals for the construction of nests. The easiest way is to use for this purpose any wicker basket covered with straw, or the corresponding diameter of the old tire from the car, filled with sawdust. In such cases, a bridge is definitely needed: a goose will easily climb into its nest on it.
Self-made structures are widely used, the roof and walls of which are made of slate are attached to a wooden frame. The presence of the sides that hold the eggs, as well as the litter material, are important.
You can use a rather unusual design of a straw nest, like a pipe. The basis for its manufacture is a construction grid. A pipe of sufficient diameter is formed from it, which should be fixed with special clamps and lined with straw. The ends of the reinforced base must be twisted with wire. It is recommended not to cut the side edges, while laying the flooring inward to get a more dense edge. Cut only the edges of the wire. The resulting nest with wire attached to the base of the structure.
If there are a large number of domestic birds, then the best will be the nests for geese in the form of a block of several sections on a single plane, They are made from:
By equipping the nests in the house should be approached with complete integrity and seriousness, because the geese should be comfortable there to be quite a long period of time. Geese are large poultry, so their laying and nesting places should be more spacious than for other feathered pets. So, the size of the goose nest depends on the dimensions corresponding to the species of the breed, and should be:
- width - 50-55 cm
- length - 65-75 cm
- height - 60-80 cm.
In this case, the back side adjacent to the wall, get a deaf. On the front side, usually attach a board about 10 cm high, holding the litter.
“At the entrance, it is desirable to arrange a path of transverse wooden planks stuffed on one long board for unhindered access of hens to the nest location. The side boards separating adjacent places must be high enough. This is necessary so that the geese, sitting in the nests, are not distracted and do not disturb each other. "
You need to know how many seats you need. Usually one nesting place is meant for two or three geese. But this does not mean at all that, in fact, the laying of eggs will be evenly distributed. After all, one place can attract several hens at once, and they will win back the chosen one from each other, even if the free sections are next to them. In spite of this, females should always have a choice of a suitable nest variant.
When using various old items in the form of boxes, car tires, baskets, equipped with sockets, they should be pre-processed by one of the following means:
- 2% caustic soda solution,
- 1% formalin solution,
- 2% bleach solution.
For the convenience of manufacturing a structure, you can use a drawing presented in the form of a diagram:
Nests for geese are placed on the floor, preferably in dark places, avoiding the occurrence of drafts. Care must be taken to ensure that inside sectional units there is no excessive dampness, and the room itself is well ventilated.
Some hens with a bit of a blow, who did not look after a suitable place (or they simply did not get free at the right time), arrange for themselves a nest in a quiet secluded place, located directly on the floor. To improve the conditions in such cases, it is recommended to build a shed of a sheet of slate, attached to the wall at an angle. In this case, the floor should be covered with bedding, you can foam.
For laying eggs, as well as their incubation, birds use one nesting place. Therefore, it is desirable that each gusochka for these purposes has its own personal cozy nest.
When breeding geese by families, when there are 3-4 “young ladies” per male, each family needs a separate nest and nest with an equipped entrance (if possible, from the south). Geese grown in conditions of a common flock, need a sufficient number of locations.
The location of all nests in the house should be in sight, to allow eggs to collect freely, to be convenient for a timely change of flooring.
To avoid strong contamination of eggs, which greatly reduces the chances of a successful incubation process, the litter should be changed daily. It is desirable to clean the dirt from the eggs within 2 hours after laying them off with chicks, using a solution of manganese or hydrogen peroxide.
Tips for the proper arrangement
In advance, you should also be engaged in the improvement of places intended for laying eggs. For this, the bottom of the prepared nest is covered with crushed raw materials, like bedding:
- crushed corn cobs,
- by sand
- sunflower or millet husks.
However, it is recommended to add a small amount of ash for the prevention of various parasites. In the future, the goose will cover all this with a layer of plucked plump.
Birds rush, as a rule, every other day, in the first half of the day. To maintain cleanliness and dryness of the nests without mold, it is recommended to change the litter in the evening, which will positively affect the health of the females. With increased dampness in the nest, the condition of the feathers deteriorates, they cease to retain heat, resulting in a decrease in hen immunity. If, after all, dampness has formed in the nest, you should immediately get rid of it using hydrated lime.
Considering the fact that during the year one seat requires about 40 kg of litter material, it must be harvested in advance.
The construction of nests for geese with their own hands does not constitute a special difficulty. And there is always the opportunity to use the available at hand economic means. Nests should not be made using metallic materials, because the hen often hides the eggs under the flooring, and in contact with the cold bottom of the structure, especially during the cold season, they may freeze or break.
In order to properly make a cozy nest, in which females will be comfortable to rush, as well as incubate their offspring, you will need natural raw materials. At the same time use two types of materials:
Construction parameters: 60x75x60 cm (width, length, height).
Nest in the form of a wooden box
Neat rectangular sectional spaces, including several drawers, fill the minimum area of the utility room. These types of nests are convenient for large farms, where the number of geese reaches several hundred. To create this type of nests do not need a lot of effort, besides it does not take much time. Materials and means used for manufacturing:
- wooden lining, strips, OSB (new raw materials are also considered suitable for use, provided there is no mold or dust),
- plywood or solid board to create the bottom,
- бруски для изготовления опор количеством 4 штуки, размером в диаметре 5-6 см,
- крепежные детали в виде гвоздей, саморезов и прочих изделий,
- инструменты, такие, как молоток, пила, измерительная рулетка.
Пошаговые советы о том, как сделать гнездо самостоятельно.
Step 1. Start cooking rails. To do this, the lining or strips should be cut into equal parts. In the manufacture of side billets of a design in the amount of two pieces, the length of the boards should be 60-70 cm. It is also necessary to prepare two end walls, the length of which is 50 cm. Then in one of the blanks you need to cut a hole for the manhole.
Step 2. Next is the sheathing of the frame. It is necessary to nail the slats every 5-6 cm to the four squared fragments.
Step 3. The next step is to design the front blank. It turned out three identical walls, and the fourth one needs to be equipped with a spacious entrance at the front, framed with only two planks on top, and at the bottom - with a grain up to 10 cm high (in order to avoid falling out of bedding and eggs).
Step 4. Then the nest bottom is attached. The cooked box is placed directly on the heated floor with foam plastic, and in its absence it is advisable to make the bottom out of boards or plywood.
Step 5. Then, in order to increase the period of validity of the wood, it is brought to treatment with special, non-toxic for geese, protective equipment.
Step 6. Now you need to start building a bridge. For the convenience of getting into the nesting place for an awkward goose, you should make a bridge out of wood in the form of a lattice, in accordance with the width of the nest. The resulting ladder should be carefully attached to the nut at the entrance.
After the work was done according to the rules, the construction turned out to be ready for use. Such products should be prepared the right amount and then used for its intended purpose, installing in dark areas of the economic premises. In this case, it is desirable that they do not touch close to the walls.
Braided nest type
Having a small farm in the country, when the number of geese in the herd is not too large, you can make wicker nests. This kind of basket comes to the liking of hens for several reasons:
- warm natural raw materials
- comfortable round shape, similar to nests in wild natural conditions,
- simple design that is easy to air.
Required materials and tools:
- fresh rods of willow wood of different sizes (thick - for the manufacture of the base, narrow - for the sides),
- 75 mm diameter metal spacer,
- Auxiliary means: knife and awl.
Typically, females sit on nests for about 1.5 hours. The readiness of the goose to incubate future offspring can be seen on certain grounds:
- from time to time he sits down on a prepared place, not getting up even in the presence of people, on the contrary, driving them away with flapping wings.
First, before filling the nests with eggs in order to get the young, they should be carefully processed by any disinfectant. After it is necessary to fill the bottom of the temporary dwelling with a clean dry litter of straw, just do not use hay for this purpose.
When the female begins to sit on the eggs, which should be no more than 10 pieces, it is necessary to cover the opening for the manhole with a tissue cut. Be sure to always be close to fresh water, as well as food for the goose.
The hen rarely leaves the nest, trying to remind of its existence with the help of a loud cry. Then, after a short walk, the female immediately returns to the abandoned place.
Geese are cold-tolerant poultry, but in order to avoid overcooling of eggs, it is recommended to arrange nesting grounds for hatching future babies in areas of heated premises, for example, on the veranda or in the summer kitchen. The owner must take care of this at the end of March or at the beginning of April.
Chicks prefer to hatch eggs in one place. In no case can not shift them to another, as the goose can stop hatching. If there are several females, they are better off not seeing each other. This can be very disturbing to the birds, which will negatively affect the incubation process.
Good survival and high productivity of geese are caused not only by the selection of promising breed. A huge role is played by the right conditions of detention. Therefore, when arranging the nests, you will have to try to comply with all the conditions for bird care, taking into account the climatic situation, the particular placement of places depending on the herd population, as well as the availability of suitable raw materials. Geese are completely undemanding poultry. With proper care and properly equipped nests, they will delight with their high egg production.