Tomatoes "Pink Elephant" are quite demanding to care, but if you provide them with the necessary conditions: a suitable temperature and humidity, loose and nutritious soil, then the variety will certainly please with an excellent harvest.
The variety description is as follows:
- "Pink elephant" refers to the mid-early varieties of tomatoes, the first fruits can be removed after 110-115 days after germination.
- The plant is quite tall and powerful. It reaches a height of 1.7 m. In order to get large tomatoes, it must be stepchained, forming into one stem, and also tied to a support.
- The fruits of this variety are painted in a raspberry shade and have a rounded and slightly flattened form on both sides. The skin is quite dense with a glossy surface.
- Ripe tomatoes are colored dark pink. They can be removed and in the stage of milky ripeness. Tomatoes "Pink Elephant" can ripen in room conditions.
- Reviews gardeners say that the fruits, ripened not on the plant, and ripened houses, do not lose their taste.
The characteristics of the "Pink Elephant" are only positive. Gardeners celebrate a number of advantages, including:
- high yield (4 kg from a bush),
- large fruits
- pleasant sweet taste
- meaty flesh,
- resistance to late blight and pests.
Cultivation methods of pink elephant variety tomatoes
The conditions necessary for growing a pink elephant are:
- highly fertile loose soil
- closed ground
- high humidity, frequent watering and timely feeding.
This variety of tomatoes is grown only by seedlings. The landing is best to start in March. Before the procedure, it is desirable to treat the seeds in a weak solution of potassium permanganate, wrapping them in a linen bag and dropping them in liquid for 30 minutes. After the procedure, planting material is washed with clean water and dried.
Then proceed to the preparation of planting material. To seedlings turned out to be friendly, and the seedlings are stocky and healthy, experienced gardeners recommend to stimulate the seeds for the subsequent growing season. This is done with the help of one of the growth stimulants, which include Epin-Extra, Agat-25K or Immunocytophyte. Processing is carried out according to the recommendations specified in the instructions. In addition, excellent results are obtained by processing aloe juice, which is a natural stimulant.
After this planting material is recommended to germinate. For this you need:
- Pour warm water into a saucer and put a cotton rag into it.
- Then place the seeds treated in a light pink solution of potassium permanganate on a moist material.
- Cover the seating material with a damp cloth and place the saucer in a warm and bright place.
- After the seeds have come, you can start planting.
The stages of the process of planting seeds for seedlings:
- The tanks for seedlings are filled with a light nutrient substrate (you can use ready-made universal soil for seedlings or make up a soil mixture of garden soil (2 parts), humus (1 part) and sand (1 part).
- Substrate moisturize and make shallow grooves on its surface.
- They carefully lay out the sprouted tomato seeds "Pink Elephant" and fall asleep with the substrate.
- You need to put the tank with landings in a warm and bright place. In 5-7 days the first shoots will appear.
- After the appearance of 3-4 true leaves, the seedlings dive into separate pots.
- Planting in the greenhouse is carried out at the end of May at steady positive temperatures. Between seedlings leave a distance of 0.8-1 m.
Further cultivation of culture is reduced to regular watering, weeding, loosening the soil. The plant requires pasynkovanie, all lateral shoots must be cut off, leaving no hemp. The shrub is formed into a single stalk so that larger fruits take more nutrients.
Methods of watering and fertilizing tomatoes "Pink Elephant"
To make the fruit more sugary, experienced gardeners recommend watering the tomatoes with salt and ash water. At 10 liters of water you need to put 1 tbsp. wood ash and 1 tbsp. l salt. Under each bush is poured in a 0.5 liter solution of ash and salt, then the tomatoes are even more sweet and meaty.
Also "Pink Elephant" loves watering with the addition of manure or grass mass. The components are drawn in a barrel, and then 1 liter of organic fertilizer is added per 10 liters of water.
Good and proper care for tomatoes includes foliar nutrition of pink elephant tomatoes, which contribute to the rapid absorption of nutrients and are carried out during the flowering of the plant. To carry out the procedure it is necessary:
- Pour 1 tbsp. ash 1 liter of hot water and let it brew for 2 days.
- Strain the solution and dilute it with water in a ratio of 1:10.
- Spray the tomatoes on the leaves. Such a watering system will allow you to grow an excellent crop and get tasty and large fruits.
Reviews of gardeners about the "Pink Elephant"
Most gardeners note the excellent taste of the fruit. Tomatoes of this variety have sweet and fleshy flesh without characteristic tomato sourness. From large tomatoes make great fresh salads, they prepare delicious juices and sauces. But for conservation, the Pink Elephant variety is not suitable because of its large size, but if the tomatoes are cut into several pieces, then the fleshy fruits make excellent preparations in jelly and platter. Very tasty tomatoes "Pink Elephant" in dried form. In addition, they are used for heat treatment in cooking.
"Pink Elephant" - the brainchild of Russian breeders, who are almost 20 years old. Registered in the State Register in 1998, the variety is intended mainly for cultivation in polycarbonate or glass greenhouses, although vegetable growers in the southern regions have accumulated extensive and quite successful experience of growing it in garden beds. “Pink elephant” is a lettuce-type tomato, so its fruits are almost always consumed fresh. Of course, if you wish, you can squeeze juice out of them or make sauces and ketchups, but such use of the most beautiful delicious tomatoes is simply impractical, and the juice from them is very thick and noticeably sweet, which not everyone likes.
- Due to the large size of the fruit, the demands on irrigation, the thermophilicity and the need to form bushes, the Pink Elephant tomato has no industrial application and is mainly cultivated by vegetable growers who are engaged in the cultivation of lettuce and exotic tomatoes on personal land holdings.
- This variety belongs to the category of medium-early tomatoes, so the first ripe fruits of the “Elephant” can be tasted as early as 110-112 days after sprouting of the seedlings.
- “Pink Elephant” is a semi-determinant tomato, which means that its bush does not have such a pronounced tendency to stop growth, as in pure determinants, and, nevertheless, it can be completed at any unexpected moment.
- The bush “Elephant” is medium leafy and medium tall, as a rule its height does not exceed 120 cm. The leaves are medium-sized, rich-green, the shape of the leaf plates is not the classic “tomato”, but of potato type.
- Large fruits weighing from 0.3 to 1 kg are collected in small (3-4 pieces) brushes. The flowering of the "Pink Elephant" begins, as a rule, after the appearance of the 7th true leaf, the following brushes are tied every 2-3 leaves.
- The plantation of seedlings depends on the method of further formation of the bush - if the plants are removed in one stem, then 4 tomato bushes can be placed on a square meter of soil, in the same case, when the bushes are arranged in 2 stems - their number is reduced to 2 pieces. on 1 m2.
Attention! The fruits of the Pink Elephant are very heavy, so the brushes of this variety of tomatoes need to be tied up, the bush itself is quite durable, but with a large load, sometimes you have to tie it to the trellis and the stem of the plant.
- In film greenhouses and stationary greenhouses, the yield of the “Elephant” can reach 6, 7, and in some cases 8 kg per 1 m2 - this is in principle quite a lot, although in fairness it should be noted that many modern varieties are characterized higher productivity.
- There is no clear evidence of the resistance of this variety to late blight, but many gardeners note that usually the Pink Elephant bushes are less affected by fungi than all the other tomato varieties growing next to them.
On each bush of the "Pink Elephant" an average of 7-9 fruits ripen. Tomatoes of this variety are rather heavy, most of them weigh 250-300 g, while individual fruits from the first brush (with favorable temperature conditions and good feeding) can reach a mass of 0.8-1.1 kg.
The shape of the tomatoes is flat-rounded, smooth at the top, ribbed near the stem. The skin on the fruit is glossy, fairly dense, but not at all tough, crimson or deep pink in color, at the base there is sometimes a pale green stain on it. The pulp of tomatoes is very fleshy, with a low content of seeds, sugary on the fault. The taste of the pulp is rich, exquisitely sweet, without the characteristic "tomato" sourness.
The merits of the variety
"Pink Elephant" deservedly received a lot of positive feedback from vegetable growers. First of all, amateur gardeners praise this variety for:
- large size, elegant appearance and brightness of fruit color,
- great taste
- good yield and high disease resistance.
Large, beautiful, bright pink lettuce tomatoes are always in special demand in the market, so growing tomatoes of the “Pink Elephant” variety can grow from a hobby into a small but very profitable family business.
Description and distinctive features of the variety
This is a mid-season variety, which is distinguished by large size of the bush and fruits. The plant grows up to 1.3-1.5 m in height. The leaves are medium, dark green in color, a bit like a potato. The green mass is growing at a moderate pace, but you can’t do without staving.
After 110-115 days after the seeds “got tangled,” the first fruits appear in a bush, gathered in small (3-4 pieces) brushes. Weight ranges from 0.3-1 kg. The largest sprout on the lower branches. They are distinguished by a solid dark pink color without any blotches or stains. In appearance, these vegetables are round, but slightly flattened, and in the area of the stem, characteristic ribs are clearly visible. If you cut a tomato, then you will find that the seeds inside are quite small, and on the breaks of the lobules there are parts of sugar.
Tastes are also at the height: juicy, fleshy pulp on the sample turns out to be sweet, without the “sourness” inherent in many varieties. As for the skin, it is dense, but in moderation - without unnecessary rigidity.
Advantages and disadvantages
A plant with such a description is of great interest among the owners of cottages and gardens. But even before buying seeds, it is worth paying attention to both the strengths of the variety and its weaknesses. Without mentioning them, the characteristic would be incomplete, so we will try to find out exactly what the pink elephant line tomatoes are good at, and what they are inferior to other tomatoes.
Among the many arguments for the most often cited:
- enviable taste,
- thick sweet flesh
- high yield (3-4 kg from a bush),
- long shelf life and high transportability (due to dense peel),
- good immunity to [/ url], including fungal,
- resistance to pest attacks. They rarely threaten such "giants."
People with experience know that large varieties require constant care. This is expressed in the need:
- regular and careful formation of the bush (pasynkovanie, shtambovanie and garters),
- timely watering and fertilizing. To give, which is visited once a week, such tomatoes are clearly not suitable,
- providing temperature conditions. Large tomatoes with their dimensions remain quite delicate plants.
If such difficulties do not scare away and the decision to take over the landing remains unchanged, you can stock up on seeds.
Seeds are better to start up in the middle or at the end of March. An earlier sowing may not be effective - the “February” pots (especially in the northern regions) may end up empty. A significant role is played by external factors, especially climate. If the house is warm and the weather is already sunny, you can get ready for work. But barely warm batteries along with “eternal winter” outside the window will not be the best “start”, and then to stimulate growth you will have to turn on the lamp for a long time.
Capacity and soil
As a container, large pots with drainage holes or wide containers with transparent lids will fit. The presence of a pallet is mandatory.
Good ground is half the battle. It is sold in stores, but you can prepare the substrate with your own hands:
- garden soil is mixed with humus in equal proportions. It takes exactly the humus, fresh manure will simply burn the tender seeds,
- for the best effect fill a layer of river sand or wood ash (2-3 cm will be enough). Be sure to mix them with soil until smooth,
- at the very end, the soil under the seedlings tightly tamped.
When buying a bag of seeds, pay attention to their “age” - the best germination comes from material collected 2-3 seasons ago.
To begin, they are carefully examined, discarding the damaged material. For greater certainty, “self-assembly” can be tested in a simple way. The seeds for 30-40 minutes are placed in a container filled with a weak solution of potassium permanganate, and monitor their reaction. Those that went to the bottom, definitely suitable for seedlings. At the same time they are disinfected with permanganate.
Immediately before sowing, the selected material is soaked for 8-12 hours in special growth stimulants. Most often for these purposes use such compositions:
- "Kornevin" (1 g of powder is enough for 1 l of liquid),
- "Zircon" at the rate of 1-2 drops per 300 ml of water,
- "Epin-extra." The same pair of drops is diluted in 100 ml of water.
Sowing seeds: the pattern and depth
The treated seeds are planted in already rammed and prepared soil.
For the future "elephant" scheme provides an interval between seeds of 2.5-3 cm. In large containers it is recommended to withstand a row spacing of 3-4 cm.
The depth of the holes is from 1.5 to 2 cm. After planting, the seeds are carefully filled with soil, and immediately followed by first watering with warm water using a sprayer. Then the container is covered with transparent covers, glass or film (only it should not touch the ground).
Capacities with seedlings are immediately transferred to a warm, dry place. Before the appearance of the first sprouts, the temperature will be optimal at 18-20 ° C. All this time, the film is rarely removed (the only exception is watering).
Shoots usually appear on the 7-10th day. Then the coating is removed, and the container is transferred to a place with a constant temperature of 15-17 ° C. After 6-7 days, such “quenching” seedlings can be returned to the room with the usual temperature for the dwelling.
Of course, the main requirements for this period are abundant light and watering of medium intensity (warm, but not hot water).
It boils down to the same measures: ensuring water balance, heat and light conditions.
The soil should not be crusted, but the wetting of the substrate is undesirable. All this time it is necessary to spray water, rather than pouring it in a direct stream (which breaks the earthy lump and can wash the seeds).
Here it is important to “catch” the balance between light and water — if there is not enough light, then the frequency of watering will decrease.
A separate topic is the pick. It is carried out after the seedlings "beat off" a pair of true leaves. It is done this way:
- seedlings are carefully dug out with a special mini spatula. To prevent damage to the stem, hold them by the leg,
- when the plant is already removed from the soil, carefully shorten the central root with scissors, leaving about 2/3 of the whole rhizome,
- in the “transfer” pot, a shallow hole is made (approximately at the level of the growth point, which is felt a little higher than the root). The plant can be “besieged” and 4-5 mm deeper than this guideline,
- lightly ramming layer, sprinkle the seedlings with earth,
- It remains to pour it and move it to a shaded place (for 2-3 days).
Before this, read the instructions or consult with the seller - "bust" is also harmful.
Terms of transplantation
Too much hurry with such work is not worth it - you have to wait until the risk of repeated frosts goes to zero.
But the heat-loving variety is very sensitive to the heating of the soil. Therefore, the best time to transfer to open beds will be the very end of May - the beginning of June (even in temperate climates). You can not wait, planting tomatoes already at the beginning or middle of May. Although in such cases, the seedlings on the site, it is desirable to cover the film.
The easiest way is for owners of capital, heated greenhouses - the “elephant” can be transferred there in April.
Размеры лунок под рассаду известны всем, кто хоть раз сталкивался с выращиванием томатов — для «рослого» сорта понадобится выкопать куб со сторонами примерно в 20-25 см.
Что касается самой схемы, то она подразумевает междурядье в 50 см при интервале между кустами в 40-45 см. То есть, на 1 кв. m you can put 2-3 seedlings (four on such a "latka" will be closely).
Watering and loosening
Rapidly growing roots and abundant green mass necessitated frequent and abundant watering. The first is done right during planting, after the ground at the rhizome is only primped up. Only warm water is used. In the summer you may need 2-3 approaches per week. Usual for one bush "dose" - 10 l. Most often it is ordinary water, but there is one trick that will emphasize the firm "sugar content" of fruits: in a 10-liter bucket filled with water, one more cup of ash and 1 tbsp. Is diluted. l salt. Under the bushes themselves make 0.5 liters of this solution.
The “focus” is simple but effective (although on dense salt marshes it is better to refuse such additives). On complex soils, it is better to add slurry or herbal mass settled in a barrel. For the same 10 l you need to take 1 l of any of these "ingredients", and the plant will respond well to such moisture.
Loosening after each watering is necessary, otherwise the roots will “steam up”, which will immediately affect growth. With weeds the same situation - they are removed immediately, not allowing them to grow to large sizes.
Masking and shaping the bush
Care for tall bushes is unthinkable without these manipulations.
Pysynok removed as early as possible, on letting them grow more than 2.5-3 cm. Wounds left in the sinuses, overgrown very quickly.
To get a good harvest, the bush is formed into one stem. At the same time, 3-4 brushes and a leaf growing above the uppermost one are left. The growth point located above it is gently pinched. Some grow "elephants" in two stalks. In such cases, 2-3 brushes are left on each of them, and the growth point is pinched above the sheet formed after the highest brush.
As they grow, bushes with heavy tomatoes are necessarily tied to supports.
In the beginning, these can be pegs or rods - their growing seedlings will be enough. But it is much more practical to drive tubes and pull the tapestries into several levels (usually 3-4 rows are allowed).
Starting from mid-June, a daily inspection of the “plantation” is desirable - the stem is loading not only the branches, but also the growing heavy fruits. If necessary, the garter is immediately held with soft string (hard wire can damage the branches or stick into the stalks).
During the season 3-4 “portions” of complex mineral fertilizers are applied. They can be “spread out” in time, but one such feed must necessarily fall on the time of formation of the ovary.
Keep in mind that before flowering, the emphasis is on nitrogen compounds, whereas after the appearance of the ovary, superphosphate and magnesium sulfate are used. The dosage is usually indicated in the instructions.
A good effect is also provided by the monthly foliar application of homemade “organic”. To make such a solution is easy:
- In 1 liter of boiling water is added 1 cup of ash.
- Then the "mix" is allowed to brew for 2 days.
- The mixture is filtered and diluted with a small amount of water.
- Spray the stems and leaves. Ideal if the procedure is carried out during the flowering period.
We learned what the pink elephant line tomato is notable for; we studied the characteristics of large tomatoes and the general description of the variety. We hope these data will help our readers to get an unprecedented harvest of these impressive vegetables. Successes in the garden!
Description of the stages of planting tomatoes "Pink Elephant"
Breeding Start by sowing seeds, the best time for this is the second half of March. It is possible to use both special containers and deep pots with a pallet and drainage holes. Before you start sowing, purchased seeds must be left in the growth stimulator for 10-12 hours, and the collected seeds should be disinfected, for example, with potassium permanganate solution.
Freshly harvested seeds are best left to lie down in a dry warm place for 2–3 years, then the germination rate increases several times, unlike the sowing material collected in the same season. For planting it is necessary to prepare containers with compacted substrate of equal parts of the earth and humus with a small amount of ash and river sand.
Tomato Seeds land at a depth of 2 cm, watering is carried out by spraying, warm water is suitable for watering. After planting, containers need to be covered with a film and moved to a warm place. As soon as the tomatoes sprout, the temperature should be maintained at +16 degrees, for this purpose the film is not removed, but periodic airing is carried out. In addition, you need to provide bright lighting and regular watering.
Characteristics of the proper care of tomatoes
As soon as the first pair of leaves appears, the tomatoes begin to swoop down and replant in separate pots. Peaked tomatoes need to be fed complex fertilizer. Depending on the condition of the plants, if the shoots are too pale, then additional nitrogen fertilizers should be added. Around mid-May, tomatoes can be transplanted in open ground, but be sure to cover them with film, by mid-June, the film can be removed.
Tomatoes should be planted in open ground at the rate of two plants per 1 square. m., so, in the future, maximum yield will be ensured. As the tomatoes grow, they must be tied to supports. At the beginning of flowering, the bush of a plant must be formed, that is, remove excess branches, small and deformed brushes. The next stage in the formation of a bush is to remove excess flowers, about 3-4 flowers should remain per brush. Tomatoes "Pink Elephant", planted in open ground, are regularly loosened to provide air access and watered with separated warm water. During the growth and flowering period, for the whole season, the plants need to be fed, this should be done 3-4 times.
Before flowering nitrogen fertilizers are applied that accelerate the growth of plants. After the formation of flowers, they are fed with magnesium sulfate or superphosphate. Once a month you can additionally use organic fertilizers. A detailed description of the feeding scheme of tomatoes is given below.
Description of the scheme of feeding tomatoes
We describe the approximate scheme of feeding tomatoes. After the pickled tomatoes are planted in separate tanks, a solution is prepared from 1 liter of water and a teaspoon of nitrophobia, the seedlings are watered with this solution, and re-watered after 10 days. Nitrophoska is a complex fertilizer based on three components: nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium, sometimes manufacturers add additional products to the composition, you can find out about this if you carefully read the description of the composition on the package.
Before planting in open ground, the soil is disinfected by irrigation with a solution of manganese potassium. After transplantation in open ground, after about 14 days, the following solution is prepared for irrigation: 1 tablespoon of superphosphate and potassium sulfate is dissolved in a ten-liter bucket of water. At the same time, superphosphate can be applied not only in liquid, but also in dry form. To do this, a tablespoon of fertilizer is poured into the well of each tomato, lightly sprinkled with earth, and all the plants are well watered.
A week after fertilization with superphosphate, you can water the plants with a weak solution of manganese, and 10 days after this, a solution of 15 grams of ammonium nitrate and 10 liters of water is prepared and also irrigated. As soon as the plant appeared ovaries - it is possible to feed with azofoska, for which dissolve 25 grams of fertilizer in a ten-liter bucket and irrigate the tomatoes.
Particular attention should be paid to watering Pink Elephant variety tomatoes in greenhouses. Watering is done only with warm water, and after that the greenhouse is well ventilated so that air humidity does not increase. Tomatoes of this variety are extremely sensitive to over-wetting, so you should follow the watering schedule, if the upper crust of the earth has not dried yet, then watering should be postponed.
To control soil over-wetting can also be mulched. Mulch, the natural layer of soil, is usually straw, peat or leaves. Mulching prevents the emergence of weeds, maintains temperature, humidity. For tomatoes, you can use straw, which is laid in a layer of 10 cm and settles after about half the thickness.
Characteristics of the main pests and control
The most popular disease that suffers not only the variety "Pink Elephant", but all tomatoes, without exception, is late blight. When the disease appears on the leaves and fruits, dark spots appear. The treatment should be carried out in two stages: apply potassium-containing fertilizers to the soil, spray the plants with copper-containing preparations. Processing the stems and leaves will destroy the disease, and fertilizing the soil will increase the potassium content in it, since it is its lack that increases the likelihood of plant disease. Characteristics and description of the composition of fertilizers can be found on the packaging.
To prevent the appearance of insect pests parsley, dill or mint are planted with tomatoes in the greenhouse, such aromatic herbs scare away pests. If insects have already appeared, you can treat the plants with a decoction of chamomile, onion peel or celandine. In this way, insects such as the whitefly, thrips and spider mites can be dealt with. To remove aphids, plants are washed with a mild soap-based solution. If slugs appeared on tomatoes, then after they are harvested by hand, tomatoes are treated with a light solution of ammonia.
With all the rules of care, tomatoes "Pink Elephant" - high-yielding plants with fragrant, large and fleshy tomatoes.