Perhaps the most popular dish in which it comes in is Caesar salad.
So that you can always afford cooking tasty and healthy dishes with the participation of this plant, let's talk about growing Iceberg lettuce at home.
Soil mix for growing lettuce at home
Landing Iceberg lettuce on the windowsill, we begin with a selection of soil. When growing in open soil, a variety of fertilizers and humus are used, however, we do not need such top dressing and should not bother the plant once again, because it does not tolerate any interference with the root system.
Therefore, we go to the flower shop and buy fertile loose soil, which has an acidity in the range of 6-7 pH (neutral or slightly acidic). Give preference to such a soil that has the highest fertility rates, since the salad needs a lot of nutrients to grow and develop. An alternative option is a mixture of biohumus and coconut fiber. Such a composition in all respects surpasses black soil and does not saturate the plant with unnecessary nitrates and other harmful substances. Preparing the mixture as follows: to create 1 kg of substrate, we take 350 g of biohumus and 650 g of coconut fiber, mix them carefully and leave them for some time.
As we mentioned above, the head lettuce does not like being disturbed by its root system and even more so removed from the ground.
That is why the pot must be selected on the basis of the maximum possible size of the plant so that it does not have to be replanted.
If you are going to grow many plants in one pot, then pick a pot of larger diameter, otherwise the salad will be very close.
Seed preparation before planting
Continuing the topic of how to plant Iceberg lettuce, let's talk about preplant seed preparation. First of all, it is worth remembering that some varieties or hybrids are bred specifically for growing in pots. Therefore, preference is given to such seeds. If a similar seed cannot be found, buy seeds of early ripening varieties.
Now about preliminary preparation. Before sowing, the seeds should be held for about 15 minutes in a solution of potassium permanganate, so that they germinate better and do not suffer fungal diseases.
If you use fertile soil or bio-humus mixture, then after soaking, we immediately sow. If you use a mixture of garden soil and store soil, then you will have to postpone the landing of the Iceberg and buy peat cubes, in which we will deepen the seeds and plant in soil mixture.
Scheme and depth of sowing of iceberg lettuce seeds
Growing lettuce on the windowsill requires adherence to the scheme and planting depth, which will be discussed further.
Regardless of whether you use peat cubes or not, the seeds are placed at a depth of 1-1.5 cm. We do not recommend burial them more than 2 cm, otherwise they may not have enough strength to overcome the soil layer.
There is no definite planting pattern, but we advise to retreat between the seeds of 2-3 cm, otherwise young plants will begin to interfere with each other. If you want to make a row planting, then we recommend to retreat between the rows of 3-3.5 cm, and between the plants in the row to leave a gap of 2 cm.
Conditions for germinating seeds
After sowing the iceberg requires a certain microclimate. It is at this stage of cultivation that the slightest non-compliance with the instructions will lead to the death of germinated seeds.
Immediately after sowing, moisten the soil with warm, settled water and cover the pot with foil. Then we transfer it to a cool place where the temperature should not rise above +18 С. In such conditions, keep the pot for 2 days.
As soon as the first shoots appear, the film needs to be removed.
Care for iceberg lettuce at home
Now you know how to grow Iceberg lettuce on your window sill or balcony. Therefore, we will talk further about the proper care of the formed salad.
Immediately it is worth remembering that this is an annual plant, so after the formation of the arrow it must be disposed of. When real leaves grow on it, the plant needs to be sprayed daily with a spray bottle, increasing the humidity. For rapid growth, daylight hours should be at least 12 hours. In winter, it is possible to extend it with the help of additional lighting (it is better to use light bulbs that give light close to the sun; pure white light or with unnatural shades is not recommended).
Also do not forget to loosen the soil, so as not to form a crust. Do this carefully, otherwise you may damage the root system.
Finishing the article, let's talk about how to cut a ripe Iceberg salad and when to do it.
You can cut a head in the moment when its diameter is about 8-10 cm. This should be done early in the morning so that the leaves are juicier. Breaking out the head is not recommended, it is better to use a sharp knife. After cutting, the plant must be used quickly or placed in a cold place with a temperature of no more than +1 ˚C (do not allow it to freeze, otherwise the salad will rot). In such conditions it can be stored for another week. I think everyone knows how useful the Iceberg lettuce is and how well it complements almost any dish. That is why after cutting the first head of cabbage, continue to care for the plant, and a few more small coaches will appear on it. If you are lucky, you will be able to harvest another crop of tasty leaves.
Five types of salad: choose the taste and color
If you have enough free space on your windowsill, pay attention to the salad - smart, healthy and unpretentious. To get started, get acquainted with its varieties and characteristics.
Each of the above types is suitable for growing at home. However, in the overwhelming number of cases, based on the size of the plant and the speed of cultivation, lovers opt for leaf varieties - quick-ripening, vitamin and unpretentious.
Selection of varieties for planting
To embrace the immensity is impossible. Therefore, we focus on several varieties, popular and common. Nutritional and vitamin qualities they illustrate the properties of a complete line of salads, suitable for growing at home.
With rare exceptions, the use of salads does not entail contraindications. Restrictions are governed by personal intolerance to the product. The calorie content of any variety is low, which allows the use of leaves when cooking various dishes.
Land preparation for planting lettuce
Land preparation and growing tanks are not a problem. It is recommended to purchase the soil in a specialized shop - the land is suitable for flowers, it is not for nothing that some species belong to the Aster family. Using the garden land show attention and forethought. Together with the soil, harmful insects and disease-causing organisms will fall into favorable home conditions. Salad is easy prey for them.
Sanitize garden soil in one or several ways:
- Calcination. Put the earth on a baking sheet and place in the oven. At a temperature of 180 ° C, most of the pathogens will die in 1 hour. Pay attention to the impurities of plant debris. In the oven, they can ignite.
- Try using an ordinary frying pan for roasting. At the same time the earth is stirred and moistened with a sprayer. The disadvantage of the first and second methods is that the temperature kills and beneficial microorganisms.
- Steaming in a water bath. The procedure lasts 20-90 minutes, depending on the amount of soil.
- The use of fungicidal drugs. The result is achieved by the inhibition of fungi and pathogenic bacteria. Manufacturer's recommendations help to determine the rate of substance on the amount of soil
- Chemical treatment with copper or iron sulfate, potassium permanganate.
Using roasting in the oven, pay attention to the plant residues that are present in the ground.. When processed, they are capable of igniting. In addition, the temperature affects beneficial microorganisms that will die during heat treatment.
Seed preparation for planting
- When buying seeds, inspect the packaging. Do not purchase crumpled or torn bags, it is impossible to guarantee the quality of the seeds in them.
- Before planting, make a visual inspection of the seeds. If found, discard damaged ones.
- Calibrate large seeds with an aqueous solution of salt (30g / 1l). After 5 minutes, remove the grains floating on the surface. Rinse the rest with clean water and dry.
- Soak in a nutrient solution for 6-24 hours (depending on the size of the seeds and the variety of the plant).
Tip # 1. Pay attention to the capacity in which it is supposed to grow lettuce. Leaf varieties have a sufficient container depth of 25 cm. The roots of rooted plants germinate deeper - for them, make a depth of 35 cm.
Growing lettuce at home: step by step
Unpretentiousness and vitality of salads give them the potential for smooth growth. Although some of the nuances are peculiar to the cultivation of each variety.
- Iceberg. Recommended planting in a capacity of 60x60 cm. Rooted lettuce developed, growth requires space. Planting seeds takes place at a depth of 5-7 mm, planting distance between plants 12-15 cm. Water the planting, cover with a film to simulate a greenhouse and clean in a cool shaded place. Wait for shoots and place the container on the light. Avoid the south side and direct sunlight. Recommended organization of the backlight to increase daylight hours to 12 hours.
- Arugula Surface planting of seeds or penetration into the ground to a depth of 10-15 mm is allowed. Shoots will appear in 3-5 days, and after 7-10 days, remove weak seedlings. Regular watering is important for this salad. The lack of moisture will result in rough and bitter leaves. Light day extend up to 8 hours. Flowers required to be removed.
- Latoux For planting suitable capacity of 15 cm in height. Place the seeds at a depth of 0.5-0.7 cm and moisten the soil. Cover with foil and put in a cool dark place. When shoots appear, remove the film and put the container into the light. Water once every 2 days. Harvesting will come after 1 month.
- Watercress. For the cultivation of this type of suitable capacity, a depth of 8-10 cm. The individuality of watercress is that it can be grown in inert substances - sawdust or coconut chips. Even a layer of scalded cotton is suitable for growing. Keep in mind that without soil the plant will require additional fertilization. After placing the container with the landing on the windowsill, turn it daily. Due to this, the salad will grow smoothly, not leaning in the direction from which the light falls. After 15 days, the plant will grow 6-7 cm and pamper the owner with the first harvest.
- Romano. A plant unpopular for growing on a windowsill. Although the agrotechnology of its cultivation is not overly complex and similar to the cultivation of the Iceberg. Perhaps the fact is that with improper care (violation of the temperature regime, watering) the leaves start to unpleasantly bitter because of the secreted juice containing the bitter alkaloid lactucine. Although the spicy bitterness is present in the properly grown Romano.
All salads are characterized by a significant water content in the composition of the plant (up to 96%). Therefore, the frequency and abundance of irrigation play a primary role in the development of plants. Soil moistening is done every other day.
Useful tips for gardeners
Tip number 1. Get a sprayer. Negatively reacting to insufficient moisture lettuce, responsive to frequent water procedures that improve the condition of the plant and taste. Spray the leaves at least 1 time a day.
Tip number 2. Preparing the soil for planting, be sure to provide for drainage in the form of stones or expanded clay at the bottom of the tank (1-3 cm). In addition to the function of drainage, the drainage layer is designed to saturate the soil under the roots with oxygen.
Tip number 3. When choosing a soil mix for planting, give preference to the land most saturated with nutrients and microelements. Short vegetation cycle allows you to grow crops without additional costs for fertilizers.
Expert opinion of a specialist
Veronika Sazhina, specialist in mixed fruit and vegetable cultivation: “Responsibly approach the preparation of your own soil. To prepare, take the components in the following proportions:
- peat - 20%,
- rotted manure - 20%
- compost - 20%,
- garden land - 40%.
Do not forget to disinfect the mixture to destroy pathogens. In the composition add nitrophoska, urea and ash. This will accelerate the germination of seeds, increase yields, nourish the salad with useful substances. "
Common mistakes beginners with growing
Error number 1. At home, lovers neglect the observance of the light regime.
The lack of lighting causes the salad to be stretched to a height, slows down the formation of green mass and accelerates bolting and flowering. Varietal and species characteristics dictate the necessary mode of daylight - 9-14 hours.
Error number 2. The heat is a spoiled crop.
Lettuce easily tolerates lower temperatures, but negatively relates to overheating. The temperature of 15-20 ° C satisfies the requirements of both leaf and cabbage varieties. Overheating leads to early bolting (the appearance of the flower arrow) of these plants.
Error number 3. Thickening landing.
Despite unpretentiousness, the salad does not like thick planting. This leads to a lack of light, which we have already mentioned, and a lack of nutritional space. As a result - slower development, late harvest, or even lack thereof.
Tip # 2. For headed varieties, follow the seed plan recommended by seed manufacturers. Thin-seeded leaf varieties thin out, removing weak plants.
Questions on "Growing lettuce on the windowsill"
Question number 1. How to grow watercress on foam rubber?
Foam, the height of which is not less than 3 cm, place in a container and cover with paper napkins. Saturate with water and spread the seeds on top. After 3-5 days, growth will begin, and in another week you will cut off the first vitamin plants. Having finished harvesting, clean the foam from paper and plant residues, wash, dry and start the cycle all over again. Do not forget that in the period of growth foam rubber is kept wet. Get complex fertilizer and add it to the water.
Question number 2. Are all varieties of lettuce suitable for growing on the windowsill or is a special “homemade” variety being purchased?
Specialized stores sell varieties recommended for cultivation at home. But it is possible not to waste time searching, but to buy seeds of a precocious variety. They will take root on a home window sill or a warm balcony without any problems.
Question number 3. I grow Romain lettuce, but it doesn’t head out. Why?
The head of this type of gardeners form by hand. 2 weeks before harvest, the outer leaves are tied with dark material, they do not curl themselves into the head. After this procedure, the inner leaves bleach, become tender and juicy, lose bitterness.
Question number 4. What and how many times to fertilize the salad?
Get complex fertilizer - thanks to him, the plant will receive a balanced and nutritious food. The frequency of making determine guided by the recommendations of the manufacturer. Prefer organic fertilizers - take an aqueous solution of mullein in a ratio of 1:10. Fertilize 1 time in 7 days.
Question number 5. Do I need to loosen the soil in the container?
No, you should not do such an operation. The roots are directly under the surface of the soil and are easily damaged. Moisturize the ground and keep it from drying out. Then on the surface of the earth does not form a dense airtight crust.
Your browser does not support iframes!
The advantages of greenhouse cultivation
Growing up in a lettuce greenhouse all year round, practically does not have flaws and difficulties. But the advantages of such a landing weight.
- green crops grow rapidly
- very salads good for the health. They contain a large amount of water, valuable fiber, vitamins of group B, C, K, potassium and folic acid. The most useful juicy varieties of bright colors,
- taste of lettuce grown indoors, is no different from the taste of plants from the garden,
- for sale there are seeds of different varieties, from simple to exotic,
- Salad can be grown in a heated greenhouse or in a summer greenhouse,
- You can plant different varieties of lettuce for the greenhouse, combining them with other spicy herbs and vegetables,
- heated greenhouse gives you the opportunity to harvest crops year-round, including in winter,
- summer greenhouse without additional heating significantly extends the time of cultivation, allowing you to save on heating,
- the yield of lettuce in the greenhouse is higher than in the open field, the plants are protected from pests and adverse weather conditions.
Особенности некоторых зеленых культур
Начинающие огородники обычно высаживают нетребовательный и быстрорастущий листовой салат: кресс, дуболистный, фризе. But in the greenhouse you can grow more exotic crops, for example, the headed Iceberg or the popular arugula.
These cultures have some features that need to be considered. Iceberg lettuce It has a very pleasant fresh taste. Juicy pale green leaves are rich in valuable trace elements and fiber, the salad is suitable for dietary and medical nutrition. Refers to late ripening, it is formed later on leaf cultures.
For growing Iceberg lettuce in a greenhouse in winter need to provide:
- Bright lighting. With a short light bottom, the plants are drawn out, the leaves become pale and less juicy.
- Light nutrient soil. Iceberg prefers a mixture of garden soil and turf and sand and reacts poorly to too acidic soil. Complex mineral fertilizers are recommended to be added to the substrate.
- Correct temperature. For heading you need 20-25ºC during the day and not higher than 18ºC at night. The salad suffers a strong heat badly.
Cabbage lettuce can be planted as seeds and seedlings. In the latter case, growth is accelerated. Seedlings easier to grow in peat cubes and pots, where the seeds are placed without digging.
Another popular and undemanding culture is arugula. This plant with narrow saturated green faces has a pleasant, slightly bitter, refreshing taste. Arugula is used to make salads and puree soups, garnishes and decorating dishes. Greens contain valuable fiber and is ideal for diet food.
Arugula is undemanding, for growing arugula in a greenhouse in winter, it is necessary to provide:
- good watering and bright lighting
- loose nutrient soil
- timely mineral supplements,
- temperature from 18ºC to 20ºC.
How to grow rocket in the greenhouse? Plants are sown in spring, first shoots appear a week later. After 2-3 weeks, you can begin cutting. Leaves of arugula should not outgrow, they quickly become rough and tough.
Soil and landing guidelines
How to grow lettuce in a greenhouse? Leaf or cabbage lettuce better planted in light soil mixed with peat and sand. The soil must be thoroughly cleaned of weeds, for disinfection it can be pre-shed with an aqueous solution of copper sulphate.
Organic fertilizer is not worth making, but light mineral dressings are recommended after each harvest.
When planting seeds may thickening of planting, followed by thinning. Experts recommend the use of seeds in the shell, their germination is much higher than in normal. Sow salad in rows with a distance of 40 cm, bury the seeds is not worth it. The first sowing is carried out in early spring.
The technology of growing lettuce in the greenhouse in winter is as follows:
In a greenhouse, it is important to provide good lighting. In the cold season it is recommended to heat the room using electric boiler, infrared cable or stoves, burzhuek. Small greenhouses are heated with regular wood fires.
The salad needs frequent watering from a watering can with a wide spray or using an automatic drip system. Cold water cannot be used.. Young plants need to be protected from pests. Slugs are removed with their hands and destroyed; aqueous solutions of insecticides can be used against the aphids.
Useful video about the care of the salad in the greenhouse:
In appearance, Iceberg lettuce can be confused with ordinary white cabbage - its round, juicy, crunchy leaves are gathered in the same, only more loose head. An American by birth, he fell in love with consumers in many countries. It got its name for the method of transportation in the old days: farmers lined the heads with pieces of ice and called them Ice Mountain, and later the name Ice was established after the brand, and then Iceberg.
The leaves have a delicate color from light green to white, twisted into a loose head, the weight of which can reach 400 g. Refers to lettuce. They are grown in country houses in our climatic conditions, both through seedlings and by sowing in the ground. The highest yield can be obtained when planting in greenhouses, because the plant is quite thermophilic. You can even grow it on the windowsill. In the refrigerator can retain its taste and crisp properties for up to a month or more.
The first thing you should pay attention to is the shape, size and density of the seeds. The larger they are, the more nutrients they contain and the stronger and healthier the plant will be. Deformed and damaged is better not to use at all.
To get friendly shoots, use seeds of the same size.
To wake up the seeds, soak them before planting in warm water. It is even better to use a trick called bubbling. For this, water for germination is heated to 23 ° C and, using a compressor, is saturated with oxygen. This method also helps in the disinfection of seed.
You can also get a friendly shoots, using simple sawdust. For this purpose, shallow boxes are used, in which a layer of chopped wood residues, pre-scalded with boiling water, is poured with a layer of about 5 cm, and cotton cloth is placed on top. Wet seeds are placed on it and covered with a cloth, and then again a layer of sawdust.
The seeds will be ready for planting as soon as the white shoots reach 1-2 mm. It is important not to exceed this length, because When planting in the ground tender shoots may break!
Podzimny way of growing
If there is a desire to get an earlier harvest, use the subwinter method. To do this, the plot planned for the crop is carefully dug up in the fall, and fertilizers are introduced that are rich in nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium, as well as trace elements. It is worth remembering that more doesn’t mean better, the manufacturer always indicates the application rate, and there is no need to exceed it. The bed is better to slightly raise or lay on an elevated place for better warming up. But seed can be sown a little more than usual, then it is better to remove excess seedlings.
In winter, crops are harvested with peat (in the spring it will serve as fertilizer) or old foliage, and in the spring the soil is loosened and thinned out of seedlings.
Growing through seedlings
This method is the most effective, but it will require more effort and attention. 2-3 seeds are placed in peat tablets and cleaned in a cool room, and after 3 days they are transferred to a warmer (but not higher than 25 ° C).
Important! During germination the soil should always be wet.
After 7-10 days the first shoots will appear, and after 14 days the sprouts will already have 4-5 leaves. To transplant was painless, hardening of new settlers is obligatory. It is very important to plant seedlings at a dacha to a permanent place only after the passage of spring frosts, otherwise this delicate plant will be difficult to save.
Young specimens are transferred to the ground very carefully, trying not to damage the earth bed, because the roots located in it are very thin and tender. The wells are made at a distance of 40 cm. Carefully watered and sprinkled with a layer of dry soil or mulch. If the nights are cold enough, it is better to cover the plants at this time with a perforated film.
Growing in a greenhouse
Heading salads do not like a cold climate, and too high a temperature. And here the greenhouse will be a good helper. The main thing is to observe the optimum humidity of both air and soil, avoiding overheating on hot days.
Plants can be planted in small boxes, if you place them on the shelves (which will greatly facilitate care), or simply in the ground beds. In any case, you should pay attention to the following points:
- Observe the temperature regime of seed germination in the soil - it should not be higher than 12-14C during the day and 9C at night.
- Iceberg Salad - light-loving culture. If the greenhouse gives insufficient coverage, the foliage will stretch and the heads of cabbages will be less dense.
- When the root system is formed (after 12 days), it is time to raise the temperature in the room to 16-20C, but no more.
- The soil in the greenhouse should be loose, moisture-permeable. This is ensured by regular loosening between the rows.
- The growing season of this crop is 50-70 days, so it is better to plant seedlings in the greenhouses, not seeds. This will shorten the harvest for 2 weeks!
- Watering immediately after planting is carried out every other day, at a later date - once a week.
Important! If you allow sudden changes in humidity or temperature in the room, the salad will go to the arrows!
For a good harvest you need to hold a number of activities:
- Check the soil acidity (for this there are special litmus strips that can be purchased at stores for gardeners). If the indicator is above the norm, add ash and lime to it.
- Dig the site and enrich with fertilizers, trying not to overdo it with nitrogen, because cabbage salads tend to accumulate nitrates.
- It is also good to add humus to the soil (not to be confused with manure, otherwise it is necessary to “burn” the plants).
- Sand must be added to heavy soils. This will improve drainage and prevent the roots from rotting, even if watering is excessive.
Care and cultivation
The basic rules for growing lettuce are as follows:
- Requires regular, timely, but moderate watering.. The roots of the Iceberg, damaged by drought, it is almost impossible to reanimate. And excess moisture leads to diseases such as gray and white rot, downy mildew (peronosporoz).
- Mandatory soil loosening. It is better to do this after each watering, but not immediately, but when the soil dries out slightly. This will protect the root system from disease and increase the access of oxygen to it.
- Plant nutrition has a special place. Regular application of complex fertilizers, which contain not only nitrogen, potassium and magnesium, but also mineral supplements, will give the leaves a crisp crunch and beautiful look, but it is important not to overdo it.
- Weed removal required in the care of any planting, and the salad - is no exception. Especially since for the formation of twigs, a lot of space is needed and uninvited “neighbors” do not need anything here.
If you adhere to all the above rules, you can count on a good harvest of this undoubtedly useful, tasty and not afraid of this word, a beautiful culture. Cutting the finished heads is better to produce in the morning, while the salad is still cool and fresh, removing the lower leaves.
It is recommended to store Iceberg lettuce in a cool ventilated area, but it is better to eat immediately, until it has lost its amazing crunchy properties. This is a delicious accompaniment for many different dishes!
Iceberg lettuce is healthy and tasty. It is used in a variety of dishes. In order to grow a product that is most saturated with vitamins and minerals, you need to grow it yourself. To obtain a good result, it is required to follow all recommendations for sowing, watering, lighting. The correct cultivation technology is the preservation of all the vitamins in the plant, its healthy appearance, timely harvest. It can be planted in the greenhouse, and in the open field, and at home. It is universal in terms of growth conditions, which allows you to put self-grown salad in dishes year-round.
Greenhouse growing technology
Growing in a greenhouse is not possible at all times of the year, since high temperatures are contraindicated for an iceberg. The procedure can be carried out in late autumn, early spring. If heating is carried out in the greenhouse, planting can be done even in winter. How does the plant react to low temperatures? It is resistant to cold, but it is not recommended to perform sowing in case of strong frosts. The best temperature is four degrees. The procedure is performed as follows:
- It should prepare the ground for planting. For this, they dig it up. It must be enriched with nutrients. For this, humus and mineral-based fertilizers are added to the soil. Do not use under the Iceberg land with a high level of acidity. If it is such, it is required to lower the acidity. For this, ash and lime are added to the soil. Care must be taken fertilizing on the basis of nitrogen, because the salad has the ability to accumulate in itself nitrates. The earth must be shed. During this procedure, stones are removed, clumps of earth, as they block shoots,
- Seed material is recommended to be placed in the solution with fertilizer for 24 hours, as this contributes to the accelerated formation of sprouts. Then they go deep into the ground by 1 cm. A distance of 30-40 cm should be left between the salad,
- The beds are watered. Then they are required to cover with a film or a special material to retain moisture. The film is regularly removed until the formation of shoots. This is required for airing. The lack of a procedure can cause powdery mildew and rot,
- When forming shoots landing thinned. So you leave only the most powerful and healthy plants. When carrying out the procedure between them you need to leave a distance of 30 cm.
Proper landing of the Iceberg does not ensure its quality development. For quick weight gain and heading, you must also follow the following care measures:
- An iceberg tolerates a lack of humidity, so it requires constant watering. How many times a week do it? Exactly so many times that the soil is always wet. The number of waterings decreases by the time of the ovary of the heads,
- Loosening should be done 21 days after landing. At the same time, the crust is removed on the soil. Subsequent procedures of this kind are recommended after each watering. It is a measure against rotting on the root system,
- Weeding is done regularly,
- Continuous feeding should be done. What fertilizer to use for this? It is possible to prefer the compositions containing nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium.
Iceberg matures in about 45-80 days from its landing.
Growing Iceberg lettuce in the open field
Cultivation in open ground is carried out by two methods:
- By seed,
- With the help of seedlings.
If you prefer cultivation from seeds, its scheme is the same as in the variant with the greenhouse. If seedlings are used, additional rules will need to be followed:
- How to grow seedlings from seed? This will require peat tablets. In one pill fit 2-3 seeds. Pre-seed should be soaked in a solution using fertilizer. If you do not want to do this, you can buy yeast seed. It is distinguished by a shell, which consists of a complex of fertilizers. Peat tablets with seed material are placed in a container. It should be placed in a room whose temperature is not more than 18 degrees. Seedlings begin to form quickly enough. This will take 4-5 days
- Seedlings actively grow at high temperatures. However, they should not exceed 25 degrees. You can put the container on the balcony, which is not carried out heating, or on the windowsill. It is possible to plant sprouts when its growth reaches 8-10 cm. Usually, 4-5 leaves appear on it. It takes 8-9 weeks to achieve this stage of formation. Planting occurs in the first spring months. On the street there should be no heat or frost. Existing seedlings with less growth can be transplanted in the summer. So she can quickly adapt to new conditions,
- For the best adaptation of seedlings requires additional procedures. For these purposes, it is required to take the container with the seedlings to the open air. At first, such “walks” should be short, later they should be extended,
- Before placing the plant in the open ground, it is necessary to dig up the soil well, and also make a complex of vitamins and minerals, humus,
- If planting is performed in cold weather, it is necessary to cover vulnerable shoots with a film. Airing from it is worth doing once every four weeks. An iceberg does not tolerate high temperatures, and therefore temperature indicators under the film should be no more than 25 degrees. If the temperature rises higher, it can interfere with the correct formation of the head, making it difficult to grow,
- It is necessary to regularly loosening, watering, weeding.
When an iceberg is big enough, it's better to tear it early in the morning. This will help preserve its juiciness. Such cultivation in the country does not require much effort, but it always allows you to get a fresh salad at any time.
In order for the Iceberg to be right in your home, you should follow these guidelines:
- It is necessary to find pots or containers with dimensions of 60 by 60 cm. Such volumetric containers contribute to the formation of a strong root system,
- The soil for planting can be found in a special store. It can be created by hand. To do this, mixed humus, sand, soil, fertilizers based on potassium,
- Seeds are soaked in water for 24 hours. Water temperature should be at room temperature. After that, the material is allowed to dry. Planting is carried out at a depth of 0.5 cm. The distance between the salad should be 12 cm. After the procedure, irrigation is required, and then put the container in a cool place where there is no sun,
- The container can be rearranged to a permanent place when the first shoots are formed. You should not choose the window sills of the south side. Direct sunlight causes severe damage to the leaf plates.
Растение потребует стандартных процедур по уходу, среди которых дополнительная подсветка в ночное время, регулярный полив и рыхление. Эти, довольно простые процедуры, помогут вам брать Айсберг прямо с вашего окна.