There are such varieties of berries or vegetables, whose names are known even to those who are far from gardening and gardening. This is the sort of raspberry Novost Kuzmina, bred in the XIX century in Russia, but not losing popularity in our time.
Variety description and main characteristics
Parent forms of a grade - the Russian raspberry Smolensk and American grade Kubert. The name was received in honor of the breeder - N.V. Kuzmina, engaged in the cultivation of varieties of this wonderful berries. Variety ripening - medium early, the berries can begin to shoot at the end of June. In the hot and dry summer, the dates shift by about 2-3 weeks.
Raspberry News Kuzmina has united a number of positive qualities:
- resistance to temperature extremes
- excellent taste of berries.
Bushes are powerful and tall, up to 2-2.5 meters.
Annual shoots - light green color, a year later the color becomes light brown or burgundy. There is a small wax coating, at the bottom of the shoots there are small thorns.
The leaves are medium in size, slightly twisted, corrugated, with a small number of spines on the bottom surface of the plate. The branches depart arcs, requires the presence of supports.
Raspberry News Kuzmina is self-fruited, but the presence of a number of other varieties increases the yield. On average, 1.5-2 kg of berries are removed from a bush.
The berries are medium in size, the shape is a blunt cone, the average weight is 3.8-4 grams. Coloring is red with a pink tint. The berries of this variety are well separated from the stalk, do not fall off when fully mature.
The taste is pleasant, sweet-sour, with a pronounced aroma of forest raspberries. Specialists from Novost Kuzmina berries are considered a model for comparison in taste, but among gardeners, these raspberries are always among the favorites. The berries are tasty fresh, used for making compotes, liqueurs, cooking jam
The advantages and disadvantages of the variety
News Kuzmina - raspberry, which has been successfully grown for decades in different regions of the country. Gardeners value it for the following qualities:
- excellent taste of berries
- medium early ripening,
- long period of fruiting,
- increased winter hardiness (bushes withstand temperatures down to -25ºC, which allows growing this variety in regions with a harsh climate),
- great aroma of berries
- weak susceptibility to fungal diseases,
- high yields,
- simple care.
Undemanding to care variety is recommended for growing novice gardeners, but you need to take into account the recommendations of experts. Many gardeners give rise to huge raspberries with a wide variety of varieties, including new ones, while never abandon the unpretentious and fruitful News Kuzmina. The variety has signs of repair, therefore, under favorable weather conditions, as well as good care, some bushes bear fruit for the second time in a season (August-September).
At the same time, it should be noted that the berries of this class are not subject to storage (immediate processing is required after harvest), they are not suitable for transportation. During the dry season, abundant watering is required, otherwise the yield of berries drops sharply.
Also, special attention should be paid to the prevention of viral diseases, resistance to which the Novost Kuzmina variety is low.
This raspberry is not suitable for industrial cultivation, but for amateur sites and gardens it is one of the best options. It is important that, unlike modern varieties and various hybrids, both domestic and foreign, saplings of the variety have an acceptable cost.
For the southern regions, Kuzmin’s News is less suitable, but this raspberry is more like the middle strip. In areas of temperate climate and sufficient rainfall, fruits are very abundant.
- A place under the raspberries choose sunny, protected from the winds. Acidity indicators - pH 5, 5-6.5, on acidified soils make wood ash, lime fluff, dolomite flour.
- The landing is carried out in trenches, pits, while the distance between raspberry seedlings is 0.5-0.7 meters.
- The best time for planting Novost Kuzmina is autumn, and it’s necessary to choose the right time for the seedlings to take root but not to grow.
- To increase soil fertility, humus, rotten compost, and mullein are used (the norm is a bucket per 1 square meter),
- After planting seedlings raspberries plentifully watered, also immediately need to install supports or trellis. On the trellis equip two or three rows of wire (the first row at a height of 50-60 cm, the uppermost - 180-200 cm).
- Variety News Kuzmina requires regular watering, especially in the stage of flowering and the formation of berries. With small volumes of irrigation, the berries become smaller, their number decreases. On the contrary, with sufficient irrigation, the raspberry is large, beautiful, juicy, and the yields are high.
- In the first two years, raspberry bushes, on condition that fertilizers were applied on the site before planting, do not need any additional fertilizing. Then they feed with potash and phosphate fertilizers (superphosphate, ash) - during the ripening of berries and in the fall, with nitrogen fertilizers - in the spring
- The soil around the bushes after watering or rains are loosened. To facilitate care, use mulching. Effective reception on young seedlings, which only take root and adapt to the site.
- To increase the yield during the flowering period, bushes are treated with the preparations “Bud” or “Ovary”.
- Cut the bushes in the spring, removing sick, deformed, weak shoots. Also removed the affected during the wintering branches, cut to healthy buds. In the autumn they remove old, sprouting shoots. Also, this raspberry is recommended to prune young shoots (at a height of 80-100 cm) in order to stimulate lateral branching, to increase the number of fruit branches.
- The raspberry variety Novost Kuzmina tolerates wintering, but in the regions of risky farming it is advisable to cover the bushes, bending down the branches. In the middle lane, many gardeners do without shelters, but you need to be guided by the weather (in severe winters and such a winter-hardy variety can freeze slightly).
- The variety is little affected by diseases, but in case of a violation of agricultural technology, this raspberry can also cause diseases. The use of chemicals - this is an extreme measure, we must try to grow crops and keep healthy bushes. For this:
- raspberries are planted only on bright, well-illuminated areas,
- raspberries regularly thin out, remove all diseased shoots,
- do not allow overgrowing of berries with weeds,
- regulate the soil moisture level under the bushes,
- remove all plant debris,
- timely collect berries,
- Treated bushes with infusions of tomato leaf, garlic, potassium permanganate.
- The berries ripen to the beginning of July, but these are approximate dates (standard). Depending on the weather conditions and region, they may shift by mid-summer and August. In early warm spring and warm June, the berries are sown earlier, in the cold rainy season - later.
An old variety of domestic breeding Novost Kuzmina never “spoils the furrows”, it is not without reason that it can be seen in areas of many gardeners. Excellent yields, great taste of dessert berries, unpretentiousness - this is why they appreciate this raspberry and prefer it to many other varieties.
She graduated from MGRI them. Ordzhonikidze. The main specialty is a mining engineer-geophysicist, which means a person with an analytical mindset and diverse interests. I have my own house in the village (respectively, the experience of gardening, horticulture, mushroom growing, as well as fussing with pets and poultry). Freelancer, in terms of their responsibilities perfectionist and "bore". Amateur hand made, the creator of exclusive jewelry made of stones and beads. A passionate admirer of the printed word and a reverent observer of everything that lives and breathes.
Found a mistake? Select the text with the mouse and click:
It is necessary to collect medicinal flowers and inflorescences at the very beginning of the flowering period, when the content of nutrients in them is as high as possible. The flowers are supposed to be torn by hands, tearing off the rough stalks. Dried collected flowers and herbs, scattering in a thin layer, in a cool room at natural temperature without access to direct sunlight.
From varietal tomatoes, you can get "your" seeds for sowing the next year (if you really liked the variety). And with hybrid it is useless to do it: the seeds will be obtained, but they will carry the hereditary material of the wrong plant from which it was taken, but of its many “ancestors”.
The homeland of pepper is America, but the main breeding work on the cultivation of sweet varieties was carried out, in particular, by Ferenc Croat (Hungary) in the 20s. XX century in Europe, mainly in the Balkans. Pepper has already come to Russia from Bulgaria, that's why it got its usual name - “Bulgarian”.
There is no natural protection for tomatoes from late blight. If the phytophtora attacks, any tomatoes (and potatoes too) perish, no matter what is said in the description of the varieties (“varieties resistant to late blight” are just a marketing ploy).
Both humus and compost are rightfully the basis of organic farming. Their presence in the soil significantly increases the yield and improves the taste of vegetables and fruits. In terms of properties and appearance, they are very similar, but they should not be confused. Humus - rotted manure or bird droppings. Compost - rotted organic debris of the most diverse origin (food spoiled from the kitchen, tops, weeds, thin twigs). Humus is considered a better fertilizer, compost is more accessible.
One of the most convenient methods for harvesting a grown crop of vegetables, fruits and berries is freezing. Some believe that freezing leads to the loss of the nutritional and beneficial properties of herbal products. As a result of the research, scientists found that the reduction in nutritional value during freezing is practically absent.
“Frost-resistant” varieties of garden strawberries (more often simply “strawberries”) also need shelter, as well as ordinary varieties (especially in those regions where there are snowless winters or frosts alternating with thaws). All strawberries have superficial roots. This means that without cover they freeze out. The sellers' beliefs that strawberries are “frost-resistant”, “winter-hardy”, “endures frosts up to −35”, etc. - are deceit. Gardeners should keep in mind that no one has yet been able to change the root system of strawberries.
In small Denmark, any piece of land is very expensive. Therefore, local gardeners have adapted to grow fresh vegetables in buckets, large packages, foam boxes filled with a special earth mixture. Such agrotechnical methods allow you to get a crop, even at home.
Compost - rotted organic residues of the most diverse origin. How to do? In a heap, pit, or large box, they put everything in a row: kitchen remains, tops of garden crops, weeds cut before flowering, thin twigs. All this is mated with phosphate flour, sometimes straw, ground or peat. (Some summer residents add special accelerators of composting.) Cover with foil. In the process of overheating, the heap is periodically agitated or pierced for fresh air. Usually compost “ripens” for 2 years, but with modern additives it can be ready even in one summer season.