The beneficial effect of coriander on the human body was known in the ancient world. All parts of the plant are useful - root, leaves, fruits. The rich chemical composition helps to relieve anemia, rheumatism and arthritis. It improves the general condition of the stomach and intestines, reduces the level of cholesterol, coriander. Useful properties and contraindications has a plant. Before using decoction or infusion of coriander, it is best to consult a doctor.
What is coriander?
This is a spicy herb, otherwise called cilantro or Chinese parsley. Fresh green plants used in salads, main dishes, giving them a specific flavor. Cilantro begins flowering in June-July. Fruits can be collected in August-September. His spherical seeds have a brown tint. Coriander is used in marinades, sauces, pourings, alcoholic beverages. The fruit of the plant is added to baking, which gives it a distinct smell.
Coriander is an annual plant. In addition to the specific smell, cilantro is often used as a medicinal plant. Already in ancient Egypt, coriander was valued for its beneficial properties. And in Greece, the plant received the name "Klopovnik" because of its unusual flavor.
Currently, coriander is popular in Indian, Mexican cuisine, in the North Caucasus, Europe, America, Russia, Morocco.
You can dry the coriander throughout the summer. Useful properties and contraindications exist for each medicinal plant. To dried cilantro does not lose its therapeutic effect, it is better to keep it in a glass closed container.
Beneficial effects of plants
Coriander is considered a soft spice, therefore it is suitable not for treatment, but for the prevention of diseases. It is used to cleanse the kidneys. The diuretic effect of grass contributes to the removal of stones, reducing edema.
Coriander improves liver function, contributes to the appearance of appetite. It removes accumulated slags and toxins. Bactericidal properties of plants increase the protective properties of the body, improve resistance to infectious diseases.
Coriander enhances heart, brain activity. It strengthens the gums, prevents the occurrence of stomatitis. Coriander has a choleretic and analgesic effect, helps to fight colds. Able to disinfect the airways, reduces high pressure.
Do not abuse this plant. Poisoning can cause coriander. Useful properties and contraindications of cilantro should be considered in the prevention of disease. In large doses, the herb can cause vomiting, sleep disturbance, memory loss. Therefore, the maximum dose of green coriander per day - 35 g, fruit - no more than 4 g.
Each medicinal plant has its own contraindications. Coriander is prohibited to take during pregnancy. Green plants should not be used by people with diseases such as:
- stomach ulcer,
- hyperacid gastritis,
- ischemic disease
- myocardial infarction,
Coriander Chemical Composition
Greens and seeds coriander contains magnesium, keratin, pectin, iron, phosphorus, calcium, tannins, manganese, vitamins P, C, B1, B2, B4, B9, E. Dodecenal is a natural antibiotic that is part of coriander, is effective in infectious diseases of the intestine, salmonellosis.
Essential oil Coriander has anti-parasitic, antiviral, bactericidal action. It contains geraniol, linalool, borneol, dipentene, cyneol, phellandrene. Due to its composition, the plant oil has a laxative, diuretic, antihelminthic effect. It contributes to the regeneration of the skin, simulates the work of the digestive tract.
For the treatment of colds, measles, scrofula, cough, hemorrhoids, eczema, nervous disorders, coriander is used. Recipes extract boil down to insisting the seeds of a plant on vodka. In a ratio of 1:10 fruits are poured with vodka or alcohol. Insist the extract should be a week in a dark place. After filtering it is taken 3 times a day and 1 teaspoon.
Not only vodka can be prepared tincture. Red wine will also enhance the healing qualities of the plant. To do this, use 100 grams of seeds and 1 liter of wine. Keep the tincture should be in a dark place. After a week, strain, take 100 g (1 glass) 2-3 times a day.
The extract is useful in depressed and depressed conditions. Improves sleep, has a beneficial effect on the condition of the gums.
Promotes longevity and improves the potency of coriander. Useful properties and contraindications of plants can not always improve the condition in diabetes mellitus. Therefore, before using a decoction of coriander, you must consult with your doctor.
To reduce insulin, traditional medicine recommends this recipe: pounded dry leaves (100 g) pour a glass (200 g) of boiling water. Every day is best to cook fresh broth. For 3 minutes, boil the leaves on the fire, take three times a day.
Diabetes coriander can be cooked as a slurry. Dry leaves (10 g) pour a glass (200 g) of cold water. Boil for 5 minutes. Grind the mixture in a blender, store in the refrigerator. Gruel must be taken with food. The finished mixture should be consumed during the day for 3 doses.
Decoction of seeds treats sore throat, sanitizes the oral cavity, facilitates the course of diseases of the stomach and duodenum. Relieves abdominal pain, is used to treat colic, flatulence, constipation. To prepare the decoction, take a teaspoon of coriander seeds (pre-ground). Pour a glass of boiling water. After cooling the broth is ready. Take it 50 g for half an hour before meals (up to 4 times a day).
Tea from the leaves of the plant is advised to drink for pregnant women 1-2 weeks before giving birth. It will help to reduce the uterus, enhance labor. It will help prevent the subsequent inflammatory process.
Compresses of decoction of coriander improve the condition of the skin with eczema, dermatitis. Wounds can be treated with gruel from a crushed plant.
Composition and properties of cilantro
The plant is not in vain as a curative. Useful properties are due to incoming compounds that have a positive effect on health.
As part of a large amount of vitamin K is given, which is responsible for the composition of the blood and enhancing its clotting. With the help of gruel from cilantro, you can cure cuts and bleeding wounds.
Also included in greenfish is tocopherol, a member of the group of natural antioxidants. Vitamin E is important for couples planning to conceive a child. He prepares the expectant mother and father for procreation.
Does not do without vitamin P, positively affecting the blood channels. This element stimulates the neurons of the brain, is used to prevent strokes and senile dementia. With a shortage of substances in the body develops diarrhea, dermatitis.
The honorable place in the composition of greens is assigned to vitamins, which are included in group B. Of them, it makes sense to select choline, folic acid, niacin, riboflavin, thiamine, pyridoxine and others. All of them have a positive effect on the human nervous system, suppress insomnia and chronic fatigue.
Choline in combination with Pantothenic acid stimulates the outflow of bile, resulting in an improvement in the liver and restoration of its structure. Folic acid is required for proper formation of the fetus in the womb of a pregnant woman.
The plant is not deprived of vitamin A, which acts as a natural type of antioxidant. Greens are famous for beta-carotene, it is valuable for eye health and increased visual acuity.
The benefits of cilantro
Cilantro is famous for its positive effects on the body, namely:
- Cleans the esophagus from stagnation, contributes to the digestibility of food.
- Removes toxic substances, poisons of a different nature, through detoxification.
- Strengthens the peristalsis of the digestive system.
- Helps to lose weight.
- Removes puffiness due to its diuretic effect.
- It removes cholesterol plaques by cleansing the blood channels.
- Helps the body to digest heavy foods faster without weighing down the stomach.
- Increases appetite, therefore, it is recommended for people to receive after an illness.
- Relieves vomiting and nausea in case of poisoning, toxicosis.
- Accumulates dietary fiber and pectin, which cleanse the intestines and prevent cancer of the esophagus.
- Displays fluid, therefore eliminates edema during pregnancy.
- It disinfects the oral cavity, fights with bleeding gums and bad breath.
- It is used to alleviate the hangover after a stormy feast.
- Reduces blood pressure, suitable for hypertensive patients.
- Struggles with aching toothache.
- Reduces intracranial pressure, thereby suppressing the frequency of migraines.
- Normalizes the heartbeat, prevents heart attack, ischemia, stroke.
- Introduced in the menu of diabetics, because it reduces the concentration of sugar in the blood.
- Relieves insomnia, nervous tension, apathy.
- Green mush is used to treat dermatological diseases.
There are a lot of essential oils in cilantro, which are effective in fighting infection and fungi of various etiologies.
Cilantro for pregnant women
- If a lady who is in an interesting position, has no diseases and contraindications, cilantro must be entered into the daily menu. The abundance of vitamins of group B will contribute to the fact that the fetus in the womb will develop in accordance with the term of gestation.
- Greens improves the digestive system. As you know, pregnant women suffer from constipation and heartburn. Cilantro throughout pregnancy will relieve from such delicate problems.
- Earlier it was said that the plant has the ability to remove excess liquid. Against this background, the syndrome of heavy legs goes away, the swelling of the face and limbs is reduced.
- When toxicosis, which usually appears in the early period, you can eat fresh herbs. It is no worse than medicinal decoctions and cherries eliminates nausea and promotes better digestibility of food.
- However, in order not to harm the health of the baby when breastfeeding, cilantro should be avoided for 3-5 months after birth. Otherwise, the milk may taste bitter, the baby simply refuses to eat.
- You should not mistakenly believe that greens have anti-allergic properties. It accumulates a lot of esters that can cause allergies in people with sensitive bodies.
- The negative reaction is manifested in the form of painful cramps in the abdomen, vomiting, nausea, urticaria (pruritus), disorders of the stool and digestion in general.
- At the slightest suspicion of allergies immediately drink an antihistamine. Otherwise, laryngeal edema may develop. If you doubt the reaction of the body, start exploring cilantro with 1 leaf.
Cilantro in folk medicine
- If you have problems with the digestive tract. If you have disturbed the activity of the gastrointestinal tract, you should use a simple recipe to restore the normal functioning of the internal organs. Mash 20 gr. seed plants. Pour raw materials 1 l. boiling water. Wait a third of the hour. Take 200 ml. drink after each meal.
- With bad breath. To cope with a rather unpleasant and common problem, you should use a simple way. This tool also copes with the terrible aroma of alcohol and tobacco. Connect in a saucepan 15 gr. dried raw materials and 400 ml. boiling water. Boil the composition for 10 minutes. After cooling, rinse the oral cavity if necessary.
- Nervous breakdown. To cope with the depressive state and stabilize the nervous system, you should take 30 grams. plants and mix 110 grams. vodka. Insist the product in a glass container for about 2 weeks. Strain the composition and take 50 drops daily for 10 days. Tincture has anticonvulsant, sedative and antidepressant properties.
Cilantro in cosmetology
Cilantro: the benefits and harm to women's health
The benefit of cilantro for women is huge, it helps to get rid of many different ailments. There have been cases when, along with taking medications, it was this spice that played a decisive role in curing the disease.
The most common cases when cilantro comes in handy:
- Painful menstruation is a disease familiar to many women. With severe pains on critical days, sometimes the hunt is to “climb on the wall”, in the literal sense of the word. In this case, relieve pain during cramps well helps decoction of cilantro seeds. Also, fresh cilantro or decoctions from it, help relieve the condition during PMS, menopause and restore the violation of the cycle of critical days,
- Cilantro shows good results in lowering blood sugar,
- Lowers cholesterol
- Depressive states, stress, nervous breakdowns, sleep disorders. Due to the sedative effect, cilantro copes well with these problems, calms the nervous system and is able to eliminate problems with insomnia,
- Inflammatory processes in the body. Linoleic acid and cineole have an anti-inflammatory effect,
- With oral diseases, cilantro has an antiseptic effect, relieves inflammation of the gums, eliminates bleeding,
- Due to the high content of iron, copes with anemia,
- Visual impairment and eye diseases. To improve vision and / or cure conjunctivitis, use tinctures for eye treatment,
- Malfunctions of the kidneys, liver and digestive tract. Due to the essential oils, vitamins and beneficial trace elements in the composition, cilantro has a positive effect on the liver, has a diuretic effect, improves digestion, improves appetite, stimulates the bowels,
- Skin diseases. Compresses with cilantro tinctures are a great way to get rid of fungus and inflammation on the skin,
- Intoxication. Cilantro seeds have proven themselves to relieve various intoxications, including poisoning after taking alcoholic beverages.
Useful properties during pregnancy
Cilantro (coriander) has a beneficial effect on the digestive system of a pregnant woman, eliminates heartburn, and has a mild diuretic effect. In folk medicine, there are many recipes for various tinctures to eliminate edema, which often appear during pregnancy.
Broths from coriander seeds, as well as fresh cilantro in salads, eliminate insomnia problems, calm the nervous system, charge with energy. For those who live in megacities cilantro is particularly useful, it contributes to the removal of toxic substances, heavy metals and excess salts from the body. This favorably affects the body of the future mother and the development of the fetus.
The quality of cilantro was highly appreciated and those who are struggling with being overweight or due to various circumstances have to go on permanent diets (athletes, models, actors).
First, due to its composition and low calorie content, the herb can be used as a component of any dietary supply.
Secondly, cilantro helps to rid the body of excess fluid, which is also very important for effective weight loss.
Thirdly, coriander helps relieve irritation that inevitably occurs during limiting diets, which will not slow down affecting the general state of the body.
Depending on the disease, the methods of use may vary:
- For the prevention of diseases and treatment of various failures in the body, cilantro (coriander) experts recommend taking fresh, in the form of tinctures or decoctions, as well as added when cooking dishes as spicy seasonings,
- В случае с кожными заболеваниями накладываются лечебные компрессы и примочки,
- Для снятия воспаления в ротовой полости хорошо помогает разжевывание семян кориандра или свежих листьев кинзы,
- In cosmetology, cilantro is very popular and is used in the form of masks that are able to smooth shallow wrinkles, improve complexion, whiten skin,
- When eye diseases are well help rubbing tincture of cilantro or lotion.
Consumption rate for women
Daily consumption rate of cilantro green is 35 grams. It is possible to use both an independent product, and to add to dishes. For coriander seeds, the daily rate should not exceed 4 grams. It can be used in the form of spices for cooking and / or for the manufacture of medicinal decoctions and various tinctures.
Cilantro: landing and care
Cilantro refers to cold-resistant plants. It is able to withstand frosts down to -5˚С. Therefore, it is possible to begin planting in early spring, when the soil thaws. Sowing in a greenhouse will allow for an even earlier harvest. You can spend and podzimnye crops, so that with the first spring days to have on the table fresh vitamin greens.
Sowing is done with dry seeds, laying out 2-3 seeds at a distance of 8 - 10 cm in longitudinal grooves in the garden. If the seeds are sown more often, the plants will loosely gain green mass and quickly go into flowering.
The grooves should be located at a distance of 10 - 15 cm from each other to ensure maximum illumination of plants. The seeds of coriander are quite large, so they are buried to a depth of 1-2 cm. After sowing, the bed must be watered abundantly.
Shoots appear, depending on the variety, the seed storage period and weather conditions, within 5 to 20 days. After planting cilantro care for her is simple:
- Thinning.To prevent the plants from competing for a place in the sun and a feeding zone on the ground, of the several plants that have risen in one nest, only one, the strongest one should be left.
- Weeding.Cilantro does not tolerate thickening. Otherwise, instead of rich green shoots in the garden, umbrellas of flower stalks will quickly stretch.
- Regular watering. After sowing and before the appearance of the first seedlings, the bed should be watered abundantly so that the cilantro embryos do not lack nutrition and moisture. When the first green bores appear above the ground, the water should be cut. While sprouts will gain strength, it is enough just to keep the bed in a moist state. With the beginning of an active set of green mass, it is necessary to begin watering more and more often, so that young plants do not go to color ahead of time. But at the stage of ripening fruit watering should be reduced to a minimum.
- Loosening between the rows. On dense poor soils cilantro gives little greenery and quickly gathers inflorescences.
The soil for coriander should be weakly alkaline or neutral, friable, nourishing, well conducting moisture. This may be loam and sandstone, as it should be filled with organic matter and mineral complex fertilizers.
Green mass of plants is cut off as they grow. Collect greens should be before the release of flower baskets. After the peduncles start to grow, the green mass of plants grows coarse and depletes. Observing the rules of agricultural engineering, greens from each plant can be collected up to three times per season.
Cilantro on the windowsill
Favorite coriander can delight with its bright taste all year round. Growing cilantro at home is a snap. For this you will need:
- The sunniest place in the apartment is on the balcony, on the windowsill. The more sun you can provide to this curly southerner, the more generously he will thank you with lush greens. It is best to grow the cilantro on the windowsill on the south side.
- Seating capacity. They should be selected depending on the amount of green you are going to get. For a small bunch of green cilantro, you can use an ordinary flower pot with large holes in the bottom. It is desirable that the pot was ceramic, without glaze - the breathability of such pots is much better than that of plastic. If you plan to grow more spicy greens, it is better to use seedling containers. It is better if it is a wooden box - for the same reasons air permeability. Coriander can also be quite successfully grown in plastic containers, but this will require more thorough loosening of the soil. At the bottom of the tanks should be laid drainage to drain excess moisture.
- Soil for planting seeds. The soil should be loose, nutritious and moisture permeable. You can use garden soil, sifting it from earthworms. You can use the ready-made universal soil purchased in the store. A small amount of nitrogenous fertilizer, for example, urea, can be added as a top dressing before sowing.
- Fresh seeds. The fresher the seeds, the stronger and more friendly shoots they will give.
Up to 5 plants (5 nests) can be planted in one pot. Too thicken the crops should not, so as not to cause stretching of seedlings. If you use a seedling box, cilantro should be sown with lines, leaving 4-5 cm between plants and 10 cm between the lines. Seeds are buried 2-3 pieces in separate wells to a depth of 1-2 cm.
After sowing seeds, it is recommended to cover the pot with glass or plastic film on top and put a plastic bag over the pot. Such a procedure for growing cilantro at home will help to maintain a constant level of humidity and temperature, so necessary for germinating seeds. When the seeds come up, the greenhouse must be removed.
In stage 1-2 of these leaves, the plants must be thinned, removing the weak and leaving the strongest and strongest in each nest. Water the shoots need to be regular, but little by little, so that the earthen ball in the pot was moderately wet. Excess water from the pan must be drained. In winter, if the plants are drawn out, additional lighting is needed.
You can thickly sow cilantro in a small container to grow it in a bundle for single use. But in order for such a bundle to turn out to be large and juicy, additional illumination will definitely be needed.
You can collect the first green cilantro from the window sill in a month. In contrast to the collection of the garden, cilantro, grown at home, should not be cut at the root. From it you just need to tear off the leaves and use them for food. When the peduncles appear, they should be immediately pinned so that the plant continues to grow greens.
Since we use not only fresh greens, but also dry seeds, we should say a few words about cilantro storage. Green cilantro on drying loses almost all its flavor.
Therefore, to prepare it for future use in this way does not make sense. But coriander seeds, on the contrary, retain their bright aroma perfectly for many years, if they are provided with appropriate storage conditions.
For this fit plastic bags in 2-3 layers, glass or plastic jars with lids. As such, coriander seeds can be stored for a very long time, without losing their taste and healing qualities. Skilled housewives will always find the use of this amazing plant and its fragrant fruits.
The use of cilantro in the daily diet significantly enriches its taste and helps to avoid many diseases. Therefore, knowing how to plant cilantro, it is worth giving this amazing plant a little time and care, planting it at home.