Many experienced gardeners prefer varietal vegetables to hybrids. In the Siberian collection of tomatoes appeared variety "Strawberry tree", the characteristics and description of which indicate the possibility to give the plant quality, characteristic of both varieties and hybrids.
First generation hybrids demonstrate:
- high disease resistance
- aligned product characteristics of the fruit,
- give higher yield
- have a short growing season
- well resist unstable natural factors.
But often, these advantages, significant for greenhouses and farms, are less important for gardeners and gardeners. For private cultivation in the first place are the taste indicators, the possibility of using the variety in the home-made blanks. In addition, the seeds of hybrids, unlike varietal crops, can not be saved. They need to be purchased from manufacturers every year, and their price is quite high.
The Strawberry Tree variety harmoniously combines the commodity and consumer advantages of tomato culture, giving gardeners the opportunity to get a rich harvest, tasty, healthy tomatoes with minimal labor costs.
The reduction of internodes from 25–30 cm in tall varieties to 12–18 cm allows the plant to receive a greater number of floral brushes.
This is the description of the variety by seed producers:
- medium-early variety, with a growing season of 112-115 days, recommended for growing in greenhouses,
- the plant is tall, indeterminate type, reaches a height of 2 meters,
- bush is medium branchy, well leafy, requires formation in the process of growth,
- leaves are large, ordinary, smooth, dark green,
- the variety is characterized by shortened internodes, which allows the plant to form up to 6 brushes with 5-7 large tomatoes,
- fruits resemble the shape of huge red strawberries, each weighing 200-250 grams,
- the pulp is dense, juicy with taste, deserved an excellent assessment of experts,
- Strawberry tree tomatoes behave well in blanks, but because of their large size, they are more suitable for making salads, tomato semi-finished products,
- fruits, shot in a green form, ripen well at home, without losing the taste,
- the grade shows fine productivity to 5 kg from one bush.
The plant itself looks very attractive, resembling not a tomato bush, but a tree, with clusters of beautiful, berries-like fruits. But the unlimited growth of the bush, will require additional measures to strengthen the stem with the help of a garter to the support or trellis.
Important! To produce a stocky seedling with short internodes, the day and night temperatures should be maintained at 23-24 degrees, reducing it after 25 days by a couple of degrees. This will be a signal to the plant for the rapid formation of the first three brushes.
Recommended agricultural practices
All varieties of tomatoes with unlimited growth in central Russia have traditionally been grown in spring-type greenhouses on a natural solar heating planting method.
- Seeds are sown to obtain seedlings 60-65 days before transplanting to a permanent place. Dates are floating, depending on local climatic conditions and the quality of the greenhouse. Roughly - the last decade of March.
- For the cultivation of strong, healthy seedlings it is necessary to monitor the temperature and light conditions preventing the seedlings from stretching. Seedlings dive in the stage of 1-2 permanent leaves in separate containers or boxes.
- Transplanted seedlings in the greenhouse at the rate of 3-4 plants per square. m. The density of planting depends on how the plant will be formed.
- Seed producers Sibsad recommend keeping only one main stem. This will allow the plant to grow quickly, to form fruits and to give large fruits to ripen in the stated period.
- But many growers are more challenging by growing tomatoes in several stems. At the same time, the time of ripening of the crop is postponed. The plant itself requires timely pinching points of growth, removal of stepsons, dying foliage.
- Like all tall tomatoes, the variety is responsive to timely watering and competent feeding. After watering, the soil must be loosened and the lower part of the stem is tucked, covering the adventitious roots in the upper soil layer with a layer of earth.
- Too much nutritious soil is not suitable for indeterminant varieties, they begin to build up too green mass to the detriment of the size of the fruit. This also applies to irrigation, which should be moderate at the initial stage of the growing season. After the appearance of the first fruits with a diameter of 4-5 cm, irrigations are adjusted to 2-3 liters per 1 bush.
The rest of the care of a tall variety is not much different from the care of the rest of the tomatoes.
The variety is young enough. But the reviews about the Tomato Strawberry Tree of the Siberian Garden company show that its characteristics are very appealing not only to gardeners of the Siberian and Far Eastern regions. The high-yielding variety is suitable for gardeners in the western and southern zones. Such an interesting tree with tomatoes can be easily grown under the open sky and in a warm climate. With the recommended planting scheme, a longer period of growth, you can get up to 20-25 kg tomato per square meter. m. square.
What does a strawberry tree look like
Even experts characterize it differently: some attribute it to the family of cornels, others - to mulberries.
The first view is trees reaching a height of 12 meters. With the onset of autumn, they are covered with red edible fruits, the shape resembling strawberries, but the size of an apple.
The second type of this tree is called Kudrania. It is a short, fast-growing tree with red spherical fruits similar to strawberry and raspberries, although in taste and aroma they have nothing in common with berries. This culture has a second name - “strawberry tree”.
In the natural environment kudrania grows in Afghanistan, Iran, in the territory of Central China. With the development of trade and tourism, this plant has become known throughout the world. In any case, if only a botany knew about it a century ago, now there are quite a few gardeners in the southern part of Russia, in the Ukraine and in Abkhazia, who adapted it to the conditions of their climate zone. As for other regions of Russia, lovers of exotic successfully cultivate this tree not in the garden, but at home.
It is a pity that such a tree will not take root in my region, although I would very much like to have a strawberry tree on my backyard. It is beautiful and unusual. I often plant plants that are rare, but our climate does not suit them.
The first yields of the tree gives about the seventh year of life. At the same time, fruits with red flesh and small brown seeds grow in peculiar clusters. They differ:
- delicate texture
- juiciness due to white juice inside,
- sweet taste, reminiscent of persimmon,
- pleasant aroma.
As practice has shown, with the implementation of all the recommendations for planting and caring for strawberry dessert varieties, the crop will certainly please gardeners. This is evidenced by reviews. Here is one of them:
In the spring of 2017, Strawberry Dessert was first planted. Very pleased with the result. Gathered tomatoes more than usual. They began to ripen in the middle of summer, and until late autumn we were removing them from the bushes. And the salads were made all summer, and it was enough for blanks. I also liked that the bushes did not hurt anything. This year we plant more than twice this variety of tomatoes.
General characteristics of the plant
Variety independent, not hybrid. Seeds can be used for plant reproduction. To do this, it is desirable to choose tomatoes, which correspond to the characteristic and description of the variety, the data in the catalogs. There is a similar German variety called Red Strawberry.
The strawberry bush is indeterminate, grows without restriction and reaches a height of more than 2 m in the greenhouse. On the open ridge, growers artificially restrict the growth of the stem, pinching it 1 month before the end of the season. This is done to ensure that the already formed flower brushes have time to set fruit, and those - to fill up and reach the stage of technical ripeness.
Tomato variety Strawberry tree is medium early, from the germination of seeds to the appearance of the first ripe fruits, 110-115 days pass. Fruiting stretched and lasts until the end of the season. On a stalk 5-7 brushes are formed, on each of which 6-10 grows in size of the ovaries. The weight of 1 berry is about 200 g. The average yield of 1 bush is 5-7 kg of marketable products.
Powerful bushes are not recommended to plant too tightly, so only 2 plants are placed for 1 m². To increase the harvest from 1 bush, it is recommended to form it in 2-3 stalks and tie it to a support.
Tomatoes Strawberry tree - variety of Siberian selection. They are adapted to daytime and nighttime temperatures, capable of tying a large number of fruits, even with prolonged rains. Harvested in the phase of technical ripeness tomatoes ripen well in room conditions. Tomatoes successfully resist fungal infections. But reviews of gardeners also note that late blight spoils the harvest of the Strawberry tree no less than other varieties.
Among the disadvantages can only be noted the poor tolerance of drought and heat. With a lack of moisture, Strawberry Tree can lose its buds. At a temperature of + 35 ° C, pollen becomes sterile and the ovary does not appear.
Strawberry Tree Fruit Features
The name of the variety was given because of the characteristic heart-shaped tomatics, resembling ripe strawberries. The similarity complements the bright red shade of the peel of tomatoes, and the bush of two meters in height, completely covered with long tassels of such “strawberries”, is simply irresistible.
The peel of the fruit is thin, but durable, the berries do not crack when ripe and canned. Tomatoes can be stored for several days without loss of presentation, they can be transported over long distances. Unripe tomatoes ripen well in room conditions.
The flesh is intensely and evenly colored, does not have a bright core in the core, only in the stem there is a white area. 3-4 cross-section chambers with a small amount of grains are visible on the cross-section. The consistency of the fruit is tender and juicy, in a ripe form resembles the melon's flesh.
On the taste of the reviews gardeners do not contradict each other. The high content of sugars and dry substances makes the “strawberries” sweet, with a slight sourness and delicate aroma of tomatoes. Fruits contain lycopene and a set of vitamins and minerals.
Strawberry trees are grown mainly for fresh consumption. From beautiful and smooth fruits make spectacular cuts and snacks. Fresh vegetable salad will get additional shades of coral-red flesh, and a romantic dinner can be complemented with tomato sandwiches.
Tomatoes of this type are traditionally used as an ingredient in any dishes with tomatoes, bright pulp is added to vegetable caviar and various sauces, and can be used when baking dishes.
For the winter, the surplus of salad berries is harvested. Strawberry tree is not suitable for salting and marinating: a thin skin can burst, and the tender flesh will not preserve the structure. But processing into juice or sauces is an excellent application. The consistency of the pulp allows you to extract the maximum amount of thick pulp, which can be quickly uvaryat without risking to lose a lot of vitamins during processing.
The future harvest depends on the preparation of seedlings. To get a good planting material, you need to sow the seeds for 60-70 days before transplanting seedlings to a permanent place. For growing seedlings prepare a substrate of a mixture of equal parts of sand, fertile land and humus. To deoxidize the mixture add 2 tbsp. l chalk or ground eggshell for every 10 kg of soil.
Description of the variety, reviews, photos
Sredneranny, indeterminantny, tall, wrist variety of tomatoes from Siberian breeders. In the middle lane it is recommended to grow it in a greenhouse. The period from germination to maturity is 112-115 days.
The bush is powerful, up to 2 meters high, requires a garter to the support and a cradle. Due to the shortened internodes, the brush on the bush is brought together so that it looks like a small tree.
One such bush forms up to 6 beautiful brushes with 5-7 red fruits, weighing 200-250 grams each, shaped like garden strawberries. These tomatoes have an excellent taste, are well dispensed, suitable for both fresh consumption and canning.
Variety yield and resistance to disease is not inferior to hybrids, and the taste is much superior to them.
Yield: up to 5 kg of fruits from 1 plant (subject to agrotechnology).
Seed producer: Siberian Garden agrofirm.
Variety Strawberry tree is not included in the State Register of Breeding Achievements of the Russian Federation.
Advantages and disadvantages
The advantages include the following characteristics:
- high yield - 5 kg from a bush (at the level of the well-known variety De Barao),
- resistance to temperature extremes
- invulnerability to diseases such as verticillary wilting and tobacco mosaic virus,
- high commodity qualities of large fruits,
- decorative appearance.
There is also a lack, it does not tolerate drought. The need for a garter cannot be considered a minus, because the variety is declared as tall.
Tomatoes of “Strawberry Tree” in color and shape correspond to the berry declared in the title. The size is large, weight - 200-250 g. On each hand 5-7 pieces are formed. Fruits are distinguished by good density, so they do not crumple during transportation. High taste characteristics allow you to use in any form - fresh and canned. Due to its high solids content, it is ideal for making juices and tomato paste.
Diseases and pests
Given the good resistance to most diseases, a particular concern is caused by fungal infections that affect all, without exception, varieties and hybrids of tomatoes:
- Alternaria, or dry spotting develops before phytophthora. Favorable for her daily heat (25-30 degrees) and night dew. First, the disease appears on the leaves in the form of round dry spots, then moves to the stem and infects the fruit. They are covered with dry brown circles with a concave middle covered with black bloom,
- late blight progresses with increased humidity and low temperature. Brown spots with a grayish patina quickly spread on leaves and stems. Tomatoes form dark blurry spots, gradually spreading over the entire surface.
To fight carry out preventive treatment with fungicides. For the whole season, tomatoes can be processed no more than 4 times. The last spraying is done not later than 20 days before the crop ripens.
Pests love this variety of tomatoes no more than all the others.
Appearance and description of the variety
The variety of tomatoes "Strawberry tree" was bred by Russian scientists in 2013 and to this day has a great success in agriculture. Breeders have tried to make this variety the most prolific and resistant to different types of diseases and parasites.
Seed preparation, planting seeds and care for them
Tomatoes "Strawberry tree" are most often sold in the form of seeds from different manufacturers, so the first thing to check is the description and the shelf life on the package.
Disinfection is done by soaking (about a day) in a solution of potassium permanganate (1%), treated with copper sulphate (100 mg per 1 liter of water) or a solution of boric acid (200 mg per 1 liter of water). After disinfection, the seeds should be spread out on a damp cloth, make sure that they do not stick together and that the cloth never dries out. After 3-4 days, the seeds will sprout and need to be planted in separate containers for seedlings to a depth of 0.5-1 cm.
Picks should be done after the appearance of two or three leaves on the shoot, at this stage the plant begins to form a more complex root structure, and he needs a pot deeper.
Seedling and planting in the ground
Seedlings should be kept at a temperature of +18. +25 ° C the first 3-4 days after the emergence of sprouts, then you need to move the plant to a temperature of +10. +15 ° C so that the sprouts do not stretch too quickly.
Sown seeds need 1-2 months so that they can be planted in open or greenhouse soil. In greenhouse conditions, the soil should be loosened and drained, the tomatoes are planted in the greenhouse, as a rule, in early May. When transplanting into the open ground, the beds should be fertilized and mulched, and the ground should be heated, so you need to focus on the 15-20th of May.
Pests and diseases
This variety can get sick with brown spot if you overdo it with watering or light. To cure plants of brown spot will help garlic solution and the correct barrier to light.
Tomatoes "Strawberry tree" in greenhouses also suffer from the greenhouse whitefly and spider mite. From the tick it is necessary to wipe sick leaves and parts of the trunk with soapy water. The whitefly should be poisoned by sprinkling with special preparations.
Conditions for maximum fructification
To stimulate the best yield, use top dressing from superphosphate fertilizer during flowering and fruiting (3 tablespoons per 10 liters of water).
Superphosphate should also be used if the leaves of the tomatoes turn blue or become rusty - this is a sign of phosphate starvation. When planting seedlings in a greenhouse or in open soil, you can add 10-15 g of superphosphate to each well. This fertilizer nourishes the root system and improves the taste of the fruit; it is mineral and non-steroidal.
Tomatoes are very fond of potassium-nitrogen fertilizer, it is worth making the first time you move the seedlings into the soil and the second time immediately, as the first brush began to fasten.
A small list of potassium-nitrogen fertilizers, which are used both for foliar and for root feeding:
- Potassium monophosphate KH2PO4 - dissolve 1-2 g per liter in water.
- Potassium sulfate - a solution of not more than 0.1% (you should not overdo it with sulfates).
- Magnesium potassium sulphate - is used in the same way as regular potassium sulphate, but is applicable on more sandy soils, which usually have a lack of magnesium.
- Wood ash - is very rich in potassium and, moreover, home-made natural fertilizer. Ash should be diluted in proportions of 300-500 g per 10 liters.
Because the tomatoes are beautifully shaped - they are perfect for salting. Because of the low dry matter content, you can make tomato juice from these tomatoes, they are quite juicy and tasty for fresh salads. This variety can also be dried, dried and added to caviar.
The variety "Strawberry Tree" prevails with advantages: it is unpretentious, bears fruit well, it can be grown in different ways both in greenhouses and in open ground. And you can eat sour-sweet tomatoes similar to very large strawberries in absolutely any form.
Tomato "Strawberry Tree": photo and description of the variety
Tomato variety "Strawberry tree" is independent.
The plant is large enough in height can reach 2 meters, but usually 120-150 centimeters. The type of a bush is indeterministic, that is, it has unlimited growth after the formation of a floral brush. The bush of these tomatoes is not standard.
Tomato "Strawberry tree" refers to the mid-early types of tomatoes, the time of full ripening 110-115 days. It is intended mainly for growing in greenhouse conditions.
Another pleasant feature of this variety is the tomato resistance to diseases and pests.
This type of tomato has a very high yield, when compared with other tomatoes. This powerful plant forms approximately 5-6 brushes with 6-8 fruits each. With proper care and suitable conditions from one square. meter, you can collect up to 12 pounds of delicious fruit.