Chlorophytum crested is in great demand among gardeners. And it is not surprising, because this beautiful plant is endowed with a non-capricious character, and caring for it does not take much time and effort. In addition, the culture is able to clean the air from harmful impurities and bacteria.
Chlorophytum crested - grassy crop of the Asparagaceae family, which came to us from the subtropical and tropical forests of South Africa. In Latin, the name of the flower means "green plant".
In the natural environment, perennial shrub grows to a meter wide and high. Under room conditions, its size is a bit more modest. The plant has strong roots that go down to a depth of 10-15 cm. The oblong leaves of the crop are gathered in a small basal rosette, and their length reaches 50-60 cm. They are painted in green tones, but some varieties have white or yellow longitudinal stripes.
Each year, the socket produces several mustache-peduncles, on which small white buds grow. In the future, the flowers turn into kids - small sockets with air roots. In some cases, pollination of buds occurs, and a seed pod is formed on the plant.
Unlike other southern perennials, chlorophytum is non-capricious and takes root well at home. In addition, its lush juicy green fits perfectly into any interior. Therefore, the flower is used to decorate apartments and offices.
But beauty and unpretentiousness are not the only virtues of a plant. Scientists have proved that chlorophytum purifies the air and destroys harmful impurities, toxins and pathogens. Therefore, it is recommended to plant flowers for people with lung diseases, as well as in rooms located near industrial facilities.
Breeders deduced many varieties of plants. Especially popular with gardeners are such varieties:
- Variegatum. The leaves of the plant are emerald green with white stripes along the edge.
- Maculatum. On the green leaves of the culture there are several yellow longitudinal stripes.
- Mandaianum. The difference of this variety is a wide yellow band in the center of a green leaf.
- Bonny. The variety has a compact size. It has curved green leaves with a white longitudinal stripe.
- Vittatum. The central part of the leaves is painted white and the edges are saturated green.
Each of these varieties will adorn the collection of a grower. In addition, an inexperienced gardener will be able to grow them, because an unpretentious character is a quality for which chloophytum is crested.
Features home care: lighting
Chlorophytum is a light-loving flower, but the scattered rays are enough for it. Therefore, place the plant in any part of the room. Of course, on the bright south side the color of the foliage will be as saturated as possible. But do not forget to cover the plant from midday rays, otherwise burns will occur.
Perfectly the plant near the western or east window feels. Culture adapts to the dark, northern side. But here the leaves will lose bright stripes and become monotonous. In addition, from a lack of light, the plant will not give kids. Therefore, do not forget to highlight the culture fitolampa. This method should be resorted to in the winter.
The plant tolerates changes in temperature. But the optimal range for it is from +16 to +23 ˚C. In the summer, you can take the pot of culture on the balcony or veranda. But make sure that the flower was protected from rain and sudden gusts of wind. In winter, do not allow the temperature to drop by +10 C. Otherwise, perennial die.
Chlorophytum crested does not impose special requirements on the ground. The main thing is that the earth should be loose, moisture-consuming, breathable and nutritious. Suitable universal store mix for ornamental plants.
If you decide to prepare the substrate yourself, then mix in equal parts such components:
To this mixture, it is desirable to add some bone meal or horn chips. But before planting, be sure to disinfect the substrate, because pathogens and pests can live in it. To do this, calcine the soil in the oven or hold over a steam bath.
Chlorophytum crested - water-loving plant. And for normal growth and development, he needs regular and abundant watering. From spring to late fall, moisten the soil abundantly 2-3 times a week. Use for this boiled or separated water at room temperature. Do not forget to drain excess liquid from the pallet.
In winter, the plant comes a period of rest. At this time, reduce watering to 2 times a month, while ensuring that the earth com does not dry out much.
Periodically arrange flower warm shower. In addition, chlorophytum is grateful for spraying. In addition, dust accumulates on the broad leaves of the crop, which must be removed with a damp, soft cloth.
From May to August, the chlorophytum actively grows and develops. At this time, feed him twice a month with complex mineral compounds. But if there are many babies on the plant, then the flower should be fertilized more often. After all, the processes take a lot of strength from the parent plant.
But do not overfeed the plant. The excess of nutrients reduces the immunity of the chlorophytum crested. And flowers become vulnerable to germs and pests.
The plant does not need special pruning. But do not forget to remove damaged and diseased leaves. This will improve the appearance of the plant, besides protect it from diseases.
With proper care at home, the chloophytum crested grows quickly and becomes crowded in the old pot. Therefore, every year transplant young plants in a larger capacity. Otherwise, the culture will cease to grow, produce flower stalks, and may even die.
Adult chlorophyta transplant every 2-3 years. Carry out this event in the end of February and early March by way of transshipment. Consider that the flower has delicate roots, so replant it carefully. After the event, heavily water the plant. The first 2-3 days, keep the culture in a shaded place.
Choose a clay pot with a porous inner side. Its volume should exceed the size of the previous one by 10%. Note that in a spacious pot the plant will not bloom and will not give the kids. But the tight capacity of the strong roots of the culture is quite capable of damage.
If chlorophytum has grown much, then divide it into parts. You will learn how to do this in the next chapter.
Reproduction by dividing the bush
For a similar method of reproduction suitable plants aged 3-4 years. Before the procedure, prepare the ground and a few suitable pots in advance. In addition, abundantly water the mother plant. Then it will be easier to get it out of the tank.
So, how to carry out the reproduction of chlorophytum crested:
- Pour a 5 cm layer of drainage to the bottom of the pots and cover it with 1-2 cm of substrate.
- Carefully reach the mother plant with the earthy ball.
- Use a sharp knife to divide the bush into several parts. Make sure that each of them has a strong root process.
- Treat the cut areas with crushed charcoal.
- Put delenki in pots, fill the voids with soil and slightly condense.
After the procedure, be sure to water the flowers. At first, protect plants from direct sunlight.
Chlorophytum crested produces a lot of arrows, on which flowers appear, and then sockets with aerial roots and young leaves. These processes, called babies, pull forces from the mother plant. Therefore, sooner or later they must be removed.
But do not throw the kids, because of them you can grow new flowers. And this is done in several ways:
- Choose a strong scion and cut it with a sharp knife. Put the baby in a pot of water for rooting. To speed up the process, add some Appin to the liquid. Do not forget to pour water into a glass, because chlorophytum “drink” a lot. When the roots of the plant reach 2 cm in length, carefully transplant the flower into the ground.
- Put a pot with a substrate near the mother plant and root it in the shoot with a process, without cutting off the arrow. Provide the plant with the usual care. Chlorophytum crested quickly take root. And when the sprout is sufficiently strengthened, cut the arrow.
Problems and solutions
The flower has a strong immunity, and he is not afraid of the disease. Occasionally chlorophytum affects aphid. And to get rid of insects, wipe the leaves with a damp cotton swab. And then treat the culture with insecticide.
The flower is unpretentious, but with improper or insufficient care loses its decorative effect. Common errors and their solutions:
- Dry the tips of the leaves. This phenomenon is due to the lack of watering or too dry and hot air in the room. To cope with the problem, increase moisture and regularly spray the flower with distilled water at room temperature.
- The tips of the leaves turned brown. This phenomenon is associated with a lack of nutrients in the soil. Remove damaged areas and feed the flower at least once a week.
- The leaves of chlorophytum are pale and fade. This results in a lack of lighting and too hot conditions. To solve the problem, move the pot closer to the window, and do not forget to ventilate the room.
- On the foliage formed brown spots. This is due to abundant watering in winter. Reduce moisture and move the plant to a cool place.
- Rosette leaves rotted. The cause of the phenomenon is excessive moisture. Most often this happens in winter. It also causes heavy soil to rot.
- The plant does not give peduncles. This happens if the culture is grown in a close pot.
- The leaves have lost a variegated color. Chlorophytum is not enough light. Move the pot to the sunny side, and the problem will pass by itself.
Attractive crested chlorophytum knowingly enjoys the love of florist. After all, this plant is beautiful and fits perfectly into any interior. In addition, the flower is unpretentious, and an inexperienced florist can grow it.
Features of the plant
Although Chlorophytum is crested and is considered an unpretentious plant, but still it requires some care. If I were asked to formulate these rules in one sentence, I would say: “The main thing is not to overdo it.” Why? In short, because Chlorophytum DOES NOT NEED:
All these features are connected with the fact that Chlorophytum is an epiphytic plant. That is, it grows in nature - like all epiphytes - on the bark of trees, in stem cracks and crevices. The homeland of this plant is the humid tropics and subtropics of South Asia, South Africa and Australia. The climate in these regions most of the year is humid and warm. Under natural conditions, chlorophytum has time to grow and give several “children” - new daughter processes. But also in these places periods of drought often occur. Then chlorophytum survives due to moisture accumulated in succulent roots. Here, considering all that has been written, it can be concluded that care for chlorophytum at home should be moderately reasonable.
Thanks to simplicity Chlorophytum crested has been successfully cultivated in greenhouses for more than 200 years. However, this plant was indoor only in the late XIX - early XX century. The name of this flower is deeply symbolic. Chlorophytum comes from two words: “chloros” - “green” and “phyton” - “plant”. Now there are over 215 species of Chlorophytum.
Guest from the tropics loves water
Of course, Chlorophytum is not a Balsam, and if you forget to water it in time, it will not fade. But still this plant is moisture-loving. And with insufficient watering, chlorophytum acts like a camel - it thickens the petioles, accumulating moisture there as a reserve, and the leaves dry at that time.
In the spring and summer, the Crested Chlorophytum should be watered abundantly, and in the winter - moderately.
In order for the tips of the leaves not to dry out, the chlorophytum crested must be fed weekly with flower fertilizer. Top dressing is also important because the mother plant supports the nutrition of “babies”, which grow very quickly on thin stems. They take power from the main flower, and it can wither. It will not perish, of course, but it will look unattractive.
Not painful, but need attention
Chlorophytum crested little susceptible to various diseases. But with the wrong care, even he can get sick. So sometimes the plant starts aphid, especially if it is located next to the flowers that are highly susceptible to this scourge. It can start up and the worm, especially if you overdo it with watering.
The leaves take on a brown tint along the edges, both during overmoistening and under water. The bay can also lead to the fact that they begin to rot roots.
A spider mite or scythe can also live on a weakened plant. I treat Chlorophytum with soapy water. If the plant is very sick, you need to apply Actellic (1 ml / l of water).
Kind with healthy
If you are a beginner florist - Chlorophytum crested is perfect for you. I have already told about his simplicity and rules of care. And chlorophytum is a very useful flower. It cleans the air of pathogenic particles and harmful microorganisms. It is especially effective in neutralizing decomposition products that arise when burning natural gas. Therefore, it can be planted in the kitchen.
Chlorophytum is a native of South Africa.
In the wild, there are several dozen species of this plant, but chlorophytum crested has become most popular with gardeners.
The appearance of the flower is fully consistent with the name. Long narrow leaves are collected in bunches, a fountain towering above the ground.
The leaves of the flower are dense, glossy, monotonous-green or decorated with a brighter band in the center.
In the spring, chlorophytum throws out thin shoots on which small white flowers in the form of asterisks appear. Then in their place tiny sockets are formed. Sometimes the plant also produces the third tier of shoots, after which the small bush begins to resemble a magnificent cascade.
Breeders deduced various variants of crested chlorophytum. The main difference is the size of the bush, the width and shade of the leaves. On sale you can find plants with dark and light green leaves, both wider and very narrow.
Chlorophytes look very elegant, decorated with white, cream or pale yellow stripes.
A few photos of Chlorophytum crested:
Consider the peculiarities of home care for Chlorophytum crested.
This flower can bring misfortune and even lead the house to ruin, as some hostesses think.
However, these rumors are not supported by real facts. At the same time it is precisely established that the flower is extremely healthy.
It cleans the air from harmful impurities, dust, kitchen children, fights radiation from household appliances.
The plant can be placed in the living room, bedroom, hallway, feels good in the kitchen and even in the bathroom with a window.
The flower is not too picky about the light. It can grow both at the window and in the depth of the room.
More light-requiring variegated forms. In the shade, they may lose the unusual color of the leaves, so these types of better positioned next to the window or strengthen the pots on a well-lit wall.
Chlorophytum is considered one of the most unpretentious plants. To make him feel comfortable, you need:
- Water the plant as the topsoil dries, using soft settled or boiled water. In spring and summer, watering should be abundant, in late autumn it should be reduced so that the plant can rest.
- In the period of active growth weekly make a liquid complex fertilizer for ornamental plants.
Do not over-wet or dry.
- Replant the flower every 2-3 years.
- Dust the leaves and at least once a week spray them with clean water. Once a month, arrange a warm shower for the plant, covering the ground in a pot with foil.
You can learn more about caring for Chlorophytum at home by watching the video:
Common problems with growing
Chlorophytum - unpretentious plant. Sometimes you have to face a number of problems, but they are easy to fix with care adjustments.
- Blackening of the tips of the leaves. Speaks of unlimited watering. Recommend to reduce their frequency and intensity.
- Yellowing plants. The thing is insufficient lighting or cramped pot. The plant is transplanted and placed in a well-lit place.
- Slow growth. When planting in too large a pot, the plant allows all the forces to develop the root system. The growth of the aerial parts is slowing. The second possible reason is heavy ground. The plant is transplanted into a smaller pot using light, nutritious soil.
- Lack of babies. Children do not develop with a lack of light and the use of cramped pots.
- Lack of flowering. Too nutritious soil, excessive feeding. It will help to transplant into less nutrient-rich soil. Feeding is temporarily stopped.
- Leaf fragility. An excess of fertilizers and a lack of light leads to this. Feeding stopped, the flower rearranged to the south window.
- Twisting the leaves. Says about the lack of minerals.
- Spider mite and aphid. От паутинного клеща растение обрабатывают акарицидом. Обработка от тли проводится вручную — пораженные листья очищают губкой, смоченной в мыльном растворе.
Хлорофитум красив, не капризен, очищает воздух в квартире. This is the best choice for novice florists.
Chlorophytum crested unpretentious, can grow in bright light and in partial shade.
Motley specimens require more sun content, but direct sunlight is not recommended, otherwise the leaves will become pale in color.
Temperature Suitable moderate room. In winter, it is advisable to keep away from batteries so that the tips of the leaves do not become dry.
Indoor plant can be placed in ordinary pots, setting on the window sill, in beautiful flowerpots on the floor, as well as in hanging pots. It is interesting to look at different varieties of chlorophytum in the same container.
Chlorophytum likes full-fledged watering 2-3 times a week, while paying attention to the dryness of the earthy coma, it should be moderately wet, not dry, but also not turn into a swamp.
In a dry room, it is desirable to periodically spray, so the leaves will retain their beauty.
Summer watering should be more abundant, moderate in winter, but not allowing for the complete drying of the ground. It is important to consider the humidity in the room and proximity to radiators.
Will fit ordinary garden land with the addition of leaf, sand and humus. Chlorophytum quite unpretentious plant. The pot prefers a spacious one, but it is recommended to increase its size gradually.
Read about shade-tolerant houseplants with us.
Asparagus meier can be easily grown from seed by following these simple rules.
Vallota beautiful complement the garden collection. http://sad-doma.net/houseplants/dekarativnotsvetushhie/vallota-uhod.html Note the simple rules for caring for the plant.