Bulgarian pepper is an important vegetable in the kitchen. It can be eaten raw, dried or boiled, and every dish with it will be tasty and healthy. Thanks to its bright colors, the vegetable is used to decorate salads and other festive snacks. And yet, what are the vitamins in bell pepper? What is its main benefit?
Nutrients in Sweet Vegetable
This sweet and bright vegetable is very rich in vitamins that are good for the human body. Scientists have even learned how to make cosmetics and medicines from it.
At the moment, on sale can be found three types of bell peppers, different in color. The first representative, green, contains phytosterols in steroids. They are useful for the prevention of diseases such as atherosclerosis. The other two (red and yellow) are useful for people with kidney, bone and heart diseases.
Bulgarian pepper is included in most diets, as its caloric content is minimal. 100 grams of this beautiful and tasty vegetable contains only 30 kcal.
The percentage of significant biological elements:
Vitamin composition of bell pepper
Many are looking for the answer to the question of what vitamins are in bell pepper. In fact, a lot of them. And because of this, it is considered very useful for the human body. But if the Bulgarian pepper is subjected to heat treatment, about 70% of the trace elements will simply evaporate. But fresh vegetable juice - a useful vitamin drink.
What vitamins are contained in bell pepper in the greatest amount?
Amount per 100 grams of vegetable (mg)
By analyzing the chemical composition of pepper, you can be convinced of its pricelessness for humans. So what are the most useful vitamins in bell pepper?
- The content of vitamin C is several times higher than in lemon. In a red vegetable 200 g of ascorbic acid.
- Minerals help cope with baldness, anemia and even osteoporosis.
- Capsaicin makes the taste of Bulgarian pepper unique. With it, you can reduce pressure or improve digestion.
- Vitamin A content will aid vision and skin. It is also useful for hair and nails.
- Vitamin P will give the vessels elasticity.
- Lycopene prevents the risk of cancer.
- B vitamins normalize sleep and help cope with stress.
What are the vitamins in sweet bell pepper in smaller quantities:
Amount per 100 grams of vegetable (mg)
Vitamin composition of pepper
Let's try to understand what vitamins are in red bell pepper. The quantity is indicated per 100 grams of vegetable:
- Vitamin C - 150-200 mg,
- Thiamine, or Vitamin B1 - 0.05 mg,
- Riboflavin - 0.03 mg,
- niacin or vitamin b3 - 0.5 mg,
- Choline - 5.6 mg,
- Pantothenic acid - 0.99 mg,
- folic acid - 10 μg,
- beta carotene - 209 mcg,
- Vitamin K - 7.5 mcg.
Vitamins for the color of Bulgarian pepper
The common colors of sweet pepper are green, yellow and red. Each of them is useful in its own way. Let us dwell on what vitamins in bell peppers of different shades.
- Red vegetable - sweet and juicy. What vitamins are contained in red bell pepper? In fact, they are quite a lot, but the first place is occupied by vitamin Retinol and ascorbic acid.
- Vegetable yellow color. It is dominated by an element called rutin, which is very useful for vessels. Also in the yellow vegetable the amount of phosphorus and potassium is greater than in others.
- Pepper green. What vitamins does Bulgarian pepper contain in this color? Selecting one item is difficult. But experts say that this vegetable can prevent cancer.
The choice of pepper must be approached seriously. First, the vegetable must be without visible damage, beautiful and bright. Secondly, the choice of color depends on the future of the dish. If it becomes a salad, then any Bulgarian pepper will do. When the hostess is going to subject the vegetable to heat treatment, the best option would be yellow or red pepper. After cooking, the green vegetable is bitter.
What is useful?
This vegetable is better to eat fresh, so you can get the greatest number of useful components that are contained in it.
Capsaicin in the product in question is useful for the intestines and the entire digestive tract. The pancreas begins to actively produce a secret, so you can see an improvement in appetite. Also, the body is exempt from harmful substances, carcinogens. Pressure is stabilized, blood flow improves. Capsaicin is able to fight various fungi.
Nutritionists advise people to eat overweight. First, the number of calories is minimal. Secondly, the body's metabolism is accelerated.
Vegetable red color recommended for people whose work is associated with mental stress. Useful substances have a positive effect on the nervous system, coping with depression. Vitamin C significantly improves hair growth in women, prevents early baldness in men. For pregnant women, paprika is also required. Using it, they can not worry about the vessels and bones.
Sweet pepper, especially red, helps fight anemia. Sweet vegetables contain substances that can fight coughing. So with bronchitis in the diet of the patient should include this vegetable.
Harmful properties of pepper
The benefits of the vegetable in question are undoubtedly high, but in certain diseases the vegetable can be harmful. With the following ailments, it is better to refuse this product:
- prolonged hemorrhoids,
- intestinal colitis
- liver or kidney problems
- Heart arythmy,
- coronary heart disease,
- stomach ulcer,
- any mental disorders.
The choice of bell pepper should be approached seriously and with skill. Many farmers do not regret toxic chemicals and various chemical fertilizers, so the vegetable becomes harmful. You need to buy only the product that has been tested in special instances. Vegetable certificates will be useful as well, which the seller is obliged to present to each buyer on demand.
The ripening of the bell pepper falls in July, August and September. But in supermarkets you can see it on the shelves all year round. All this is possible with the help of nitrates and pesticides. They process the vegetable and grow in the greenhouse. Using such pepper, gradually the human body accumulates these harmful substances. Thus, a healthy vegetable can only be bought during the specified ripening period and frozen for the winter.
What are the vitamins in sweet bell pepper?
- Sweet pepper is one of the leaders in the presence of vitamin C in it. It is far ahead in its content of all citrus fruits, which are always among the richest in the presence of ascorbic acid (it is also vitamin C). The more in our body of this vitamin, the greater the guarantee of preservation of immunity and the ability to resist viruses and infections.
- In its composition found vitamins of group B, responsible, in fact, for the activities of all systems of our body. They are especially important for the normal functioning of the heart and nervous system.
- Vitamin PP, which is found in pepper, along with vitamins of group B takes care of the strength and elasticity of blood vessels, and its presence has a beneficial effect on brain activity.
- Speaking about what vitamins in bell pepper, do not forget about vitamin A (carotene), as well as those trace elements that are part of this wonderful vegetable culture. Among them: calcium, magnesium, iodine, zinc, iron, phosphorus.
All this wonderful set of nutrients allows you to heal the human body:
- it helps to increase energy in the body, get rid of depression, strengthen the immune system,
- its consumption has a positive effect on the state of the musculoskeletal system,
- Bulgarian pepper is indispensable in the fight against obesity, as it helps to normalize the work of the gastrointestinal tract,
- a set of vitamins contained in pepper enriches the blood with beneficial substances, actively participating in the process of blood formation,
- it is not contraindicated in diabetes mellitus, since the sugars contained in it do not harm the body of the diabetic.
The composition of sweet pepper
Sweet pepper is the record for the content of ascorbic acid. Vitamin C in it is even more than in black currants and lemons. Sweet pepper is also rich in B vitamins, carotene, vitamin P.
Minerals are represented in Bulgarian pepper mainly by salts of sodium and potassium, as well as phosphorus, iron, zinc, iodine, magnesium and calcium.
The characteristic sweet taste is inherent in pepper due to the alkaloid contained in it, capsaicin, which also makes it very useful for the stomach.
By the amount of minerals and vitamins, sweet pepper is a truly invaluable vegetable.
Properties and benefits of sweet pepper
If you look at its composition, the benefits of sweet pepper for the body becomes simply obvious. Minerals enrich the overall composition of the blood, increase the body's immune defense and prevent anemia.
The vitamins contained in sweet pepper help to preserve vision, improve the condition of the skin, nails and hair, and also contribute to the strength of blood vessels.
Bulgarian pepper contains substances that help get rid of the depressive state and restore strength to the exhausted body. It is also useful for people suffering from diabetes.
The benefits of sweet pepper can be attributed to its ability to whet the appetite. Also, its use lowers blood pressure and dilutes the blood, a beneficial effect on the pancreas and the gastrointestinal tract.
Externally, masks and ointments based on Bulgarian pepper powder are used against arthritis, neuralgia and sciatica.
This vegetable acquires special value because of the content of vitamin P (rutin) in it, which contributes to the preservation of the youth of the blood capillaries and vessels, makes the entire blood system strong and elastic. That is why doctors recommend to use sweet peppers for the prevention of atherosclerosis and thrombosis.
You should not bypass the attention of the Bulgarian pepper to elderly people and people engaged in mental work, as it helps to improve memory and helps to concentrate, relieves from stress and insomnia, relieves muscle and nerve tissue tension.
Sweet pepper is useful for both women and men. For women, it helps to preserve youth and health for a long time, and in men it prevents hair loss. Especially relevant is the vegetable for women during pregnancy, when the hair and bone system are subjected to double the load.
It is necessary to know that all the benefits of sweet pepper are concentrated in the seeds and around the stem in the inner white flesh. Therefore, do not throw away these places - they are the most valuable. Only, unfortunately, in the process of heat treatment of the vegetable takes about 70% of nutrients. Therefore, it is better to use it raw. You can also make juice from fresh unpeeled pepper, then all its healing properties will be preserved.
Sweet Pepper Treatment
They successfully use Bulgarian pepper for the prevention and treatment of many diseases.
In particular, if you eat 40 grams of pepper daily, then the daily rate of ascorbic acid is guaranteed. But this vitamin prevents many diseases, including cardiovascular - we all know how important the blood vessels in the process of metabolism.
And if everyone eats one sweet pepper, you can contribute to improving vision and accelerate the growth of hair and nails. With a tendency to thrombosis experienced experts recommend daily to drink 40-50 g of pepper juice.
In folk medicine, sweet pepper is used to treat the following diseases:
- Diseases of the central nervous system,
- Lack of appetite.
Judging by the amount of minerals and vitamins, sweet pepper cannot be harmful. However, in some diseases it is necessary to limit its consumption, and sometimes even completely eliminate it from the diet. In particular, such diseases include hypertension, diseases of the kidneys and liver, gastritis and gastric ulcer with an increased level of acidity, coronary heart disease.
For these diseases, before consuming this vegetable, it is best to consult with your doctor. Such restrictions are associated with a high content of coarse fiber and essential oils in Bulgarian pepper, which can cause exacerbations.
YouTube videos related to the article:
The benefits of sweet pepper can turn into harm if it is used in certain diseases. In this case, it can lead to their aggravation or worsen the course. Therefore, the harm and contraindications for its use are the following pathological processes in the body:
- Ischemic Heart Disease - Angina
- Ulcerative lesion of the gastrointestinal tract
- Chronic gastritis, which increases the acid-forming function of the stomach
- Kidney disease in the acute stage or unstable remission
- Liver failure
- Hemorrhoids (long existing and untreated)
- Increased psycho-emotional irritability and nervousness.
Vitamins and minerals in sweet bell pepper make it a very useful and popular product. Its therapeutic effect on the digestive and cardiovascular systems is especially noticeable. And paprika (red sweet pepper) also helps to fight excess weight.