This is an annual plant with decorative flowers belonging to the Lyon family of the Linen family. It reaches a height of 110 cm, but most often growth is limited to 30-60 cm. The stem of flax is erect, branched. Leaves sessile, next arrangement, lanceolate form with pointed tips. Bright flowers form the inflorescence flap, which has a fairly loose structure. The natural habitat is the north-western part of the African continent (Algeria). Flax was introduced to the culture in 1820, and since then it has been actively cultivated as an annual.
Large-flowered flax: cultivation
From seeds of small size, if desired, you can grow a beautiful perennial plant. Flax has an unpretentious character, is resistant to cold, tolerates even weak frosts. It is preferable to choose under it sunny, well-lit areas. Will grow on any garden poor soil, but preferably without stagnant moisture. On the territory of Russia with cold climatic conditions, we recommend choosing flax-flowered flax. Growing from seed is very simple. Germination is almost 100%, and the plant extends down to the taiga zone.
Before planting, the site must be dug up, it is recommended to add humus or compost (3-4 kg per 1 square meter). As well as a tablespoon of superphosphate and potassium sulfate. Then mix everything thoroughly and level with a rake. It is best to shed the soil well and leave it for a couple of days, and only then begin to plant. This can be done in two ways: seedlings or directly into the ground. Choose the one that suits you best.
Flax (red) large-flowered seedling growing from seeds
Sowing is recommended in mid-April, as the plant develops quite quickly. Use light soil, permeable to air and moisture. In small boxes, pour it in an even layer of 5-8 cm and moisten with a spray bottle. Do not bury the seeds, but gently scatter them on the surface, sprinkle 1 cm of soil on top. It is best to make a small greenhouse and close the box with polyethylene. Be careful with over-wetting - this is what grandiflora flax doesn’t like. Cultivation from seeds (photo) is a fairly quick process, seedlings will appear in 7-10 days. As soon as the seedlings have the first pair of true leaves, they should be dived into separate pots, with a diameter of about 7 cm and the same depth. Flax has a strong root system of the core type, so we recommend not tightening it with seating. The further, the harder it will be to separate the plants from each other without damaging them.
Sowing seeds in the ground
This method also has the right to exist and is simple. It is possible to sow seeds in early spring (April-May) or in late autumn, which is called before winter. Prepare the soil in advance, in the manner already mentioned above. Then make neat grooves at a distance of 10-15 cm, 4-5 cm deep. Spill them properly with water. Do not press the seeds, but only spread them out evenly and sprinkle with a small amount of soil on top. When the shoots appear they must be thinned, leave a distance between plants of 5-8 cm.
Basic rules for the care of flax
If you want what is called a plant to plant and forget, then choose large-flowered flax (Rubrum). Growing seedlings from seed or immediately in the ground will not cause difficulties, and care and that is easier.
- Choose light soils without stagnant moisture and cold drafts.
- The plant is resistant to heat, so additional watering is required only in the case of extremely dry summer.
- During the season, make 2-3 fertilizing complex mineral fertilizers, and the plant will delight you with lush flowering.
- The beds where flax grows need to weed, like any other.
- After rain and watering, it is advisable to loosen the soil so that a crust does not form, especially on heavy soils.
What other plants for the "lazy" can be planted in the garden?
Time to take care of the garden and flower beds is not always there, but everyone wants to have their own fragrant corner on the plot. Someone will say that this does not happen, and any plant requires attention. Of course, this is true, but the degree of care and its thoroughness differ. If you rarely go to the country, then not only the large-flowered flax will suit you. Growing from the seeds of some other species will also have the way. Pay attention to the tracery gypsophilia. Perennial plant smooth carpet will cover the ground. You can also use the one-year analogue - elegant gypsophila, it grows quickly and flourishes magnificently.
Simple and charming at the same time our traditional cornflower. Now many varieties are bred not only with blue color, but also white, pink, violet. In addition, the plant will give you a double wave of flowering - June and September.
We recommend to choose for the site fragrant iberis or mattiola, flaxen, alissum, plaiting everything with a smooth canvas, calendula (not only pleasant, but also useful), nasturtium for both horizontal and vertical gardening, ipomeyu.
If you need an easy-to-care, but a spectacular and unusual plant, look at the bright and cheerful large-flowered flax. Cultivation of seeds at home will help you get quality seedlings and grown strong by the time the planting in the ground plants.
Perennial large-flowered flax - main varieties
Not a single picture can convey how the field of flax actually looks like - the color of the light filter is still able to transmit, but the sensations arising in the blood and generic memory are impossible. It doesn’t matter that a crop was planted not for a review, but for industrial or technical purposes (curls - for getting oil, from fiber - to get fiber) - its beauty does not diminish from this.
Despite the nuances of the constitution of two natural representatives of the genus Línum - the dolgus has a lower degree of branching of the inflorescence, greater harmony and height of the stem, curls are characterized by a more significant branching of the inflorescence and a low growth, the structure of the flower is the same.
It is always strictly 5:
- separate petals of wide-blade or round shape,
- stamens, accreted with bases,
- threadlike pistils with linear-shaped stigmas and whole egg-shaped ovaries,
- free pointed pointed sepals (also ovoid), small-slit, with finely toothed margin.
An important feature is the total number of stamens - in addition to the five normal, normal structure, there are 5 more rudimentary (underdeveloped), having the form of threads or teeth, located opposite the petals.
The box (the fruit that forms from the ovary) is also always for 5 nests - in each of them there are 2 half-nests with one seed in each.
A is a general view, B is a longitudinal section of a flower, C is a flower without a perianth, D is a fruit, D is a flower diagram: 1 - calyx, 2 - corolla, 3 - stamen, 4 - pistil, 5 - ovule, 6 - receptacle, 7 - pedicle, 8 - staminodes, 9 - connected bases of stamens.
The flowers of flax-dikorosa large-flowered in structure do not differ in any way from the flowers of cultivated crops - only with bright red color and a large diameter of the corolla with petals of two-centimeter length.
Only a specialist can distinguish the seeds of one or another species, but a simple test helps to understand whether you really deal with flax seeds, no other, put in your mouth, give such quick and powerful taste.
Turning to the description of ornamental varieties, it is worth noting that the following refers exclusively to large-color and multi-year flax (unlike the wild one-year-old ancestor, which blooms in Algeria throughout April and May).
The garden flax color range includes almost all areas of the light spectrum - from dazzling white to almost lilac (light tone), which, when planted on a flowerbed, allows you to create interesting color effects, especially when the height difference between the main crop and the “attracted” plant neighbors.
Of the varieties with white-painted beaters, the most famous are:
If the first on the list shines with whitish-white, undistorted “light”, then the second belongs to the so-called “star-shaped” forms, the third has a texture of petals similar to satin, the length of the petals reaches 2 cm.
This group includes the variety called Bright eyes - with the center of the color of red ink.
Linum grandiflorum, ‘Bright Eyes’
A group of colors close to red allows you to opt for:
- Illusions, with a fierce-red whisk of silky texture with a small peephole of a darker color,
- Mars, with a rich carmine color and "eye" of two intertwining colors,
- Blush, bright pink color, giving a smooth transition to the peephole slightly darker.
Photos of red varieties:
Colors similar to pink can also be considered the coloring of the varieties:
- Boogie Woogie - salmon overall background, dramatically changing to cherry in the center,
- Aurora - with apricot petals,
- Zorepad (Starfall) - with a star-shaped color of the corolla and a wine-red "eye" in the center.
Krupnotsvetkovaya, up to 4 cm in diameter, the form of flax Rubrum (literal translation "purple"), with a center, a star patch of black strokes cut off from the common field, is one-year.
Just as the solar spectrum is completed with flowers that change from blue to purple, the following group of varieties should be arranged in the same order:
- Sky Blue is truly a sky-blue tone with a central "eye" of pure white color,
- Seliger - a variety of frankly blue color, with powerful flaps of inflorescences, but not very large flowers,
- Blue Silk - with a two-centimeter diameter of the corolla, characterized by a still greater depth of blue tone with silky tints of color, very noticeable when the flowers are swaying with the wind,
- Sadko is the corolla color lilac, with the darker colored veins protruding.
In Russia, flax has long been planted for the production of hemp and canvas.
Flax in Russia was grown for domestic consumption, flax fabrics were widely used for making clothes, and flaxseed oil as food. Very soon, the Russian merchants started supplying flax to European countries, where high quality products were highly appreciated.
Gradually expanded areas under crops of flax in the Russian fields. During the reign of Peter the First, the cultivation of flax and its processing became industrial. For the processing of flax raw materials, weaving factories were built, which quickly expanded thanks to government orders. The Russian tsar Peter the Great ordered to trade with Europe not raw materials for flax, but finished products, therefore Russian breeders began to produce ropes, canvas, hemp rope and other products from flax straw and seeds.
The history of the flax industry has seen unprecedented ups and downs, but culture is still cultivated in the fields of our country for the needs of the medical and light industries.
Flax: botanical reference
Flax bolls ripen in mid-summer.
Flax - an annual plant of the Flax family. Culture came to Russia from Asian countries. In nature, flax is common in the Mediterranean and Indochina; currently, the plant is widely cultivated in Europe, Asia, North America and North Africa.
Sowing flax reaches a height of 150 cm. The bluish-green straight stem of the plant begins to branch in the upper part during the formation of inflorescences. Small narrow leaves are located along the stem in the form of a spiral, the higher to the top, the leaves become smaller in size.
Flax flowers are full of charm - soft blue folded petals bloom in early summer. During flowering, the flax field resembles a blue sky, such a pure coloring of wild flowers set up a poetic mood, therefore, a huge number of tender songs are folded over a flowering flax field.
After flowering, flax stalks are crowned with small boxes with varnished flattened seeds. Usually one box contains about 10 seeds, which are used for plant propagation and cooking flaxseed oil.
Varieties and varieties
Flax seed has charming flowers of pale blue tone.
Flax cultivation on an industrial scale involves the use of several plant varieties:
- Flaxen flax - the height of the stems does not exceed 125 cm. The stalk is single, branches little. Flower honor compact, up to 20 cm. Flax of this variety ripens in 2-3 months. For industrial production, the stalk used to make linen, a bonfire for the production of building materials is used. Flax seeds are used in the manufacture of pharmaceuticals and oils. Flax fiber is used for the production of natural fabrics, is an indispensable raw material for the textile industry.
- Flax curls - a low plant with strong branching. The bush reaches a maximum size of 60 cm. The main purpose of this variety of flax is to obtain seeds for the production of oil. The ripening period is up to 130 days.
- Len-mezheumok - does not grow above 70 cm. The stalk is single below, with a strong branching begins from the middle part. This type of flax is used mainly for seed production; sometimes, short, low-quality fibers are made from the stems.
- Flax creeping - low plant up to 40 cm high. The main purpose of a multi-stem plant is seed harvest.
- Decorative large-flowered flax is an annual unpretentious plant with bright colors of pink and coral color schemes. There are plants with white petals. The flower fits perfectly into the overall style when planting in mixed flower beds and rabatki with annuals, indispensable in the composition of the Moorish lawns. If you plant large-flowered flax in May, the flowering plants will last until autumn. The plant multiplies perfectly self-sowing, tolerates transplant.
- Flax perennial - used for decorating sunny areas of the garden. The height of perennial plants does not exceed 30-40 cm, so the plants are planted on alpine hills and rockeries. The sky-blue flowers look great next to the shower, aquilegia or lavender among the wreckage of natural stone. Growing from seed does not have any particular difficulties, flax can be sown directly in open ground.
Growing flax in the open field
Generative (seed) method
To grow such a flower from seeds can be in containers. And you can sow the seeds directly in open soil, such sowing is carried out in the spring or autumn (before winter) time. All that needs to be done is to spread the seeds evenly over the surface of the soil, and then they are simply sprayed from a spray bottle. Dredging them into the ground should not be. Sowing perennial flax seed in the soil can be sown if necessary in the summer.
If you decide to sow the seeds in containers, you should know that the grown seedlings can not be transplanted into the open ground, because they are very sick after this procedure and often die. When seeds are sown, containers are immediately transferred to fresh air.
If you grow two years of flax on your plot, it can be propagated by dividing the bush. In the middle of the spring period or in August, after the plant has faded, the bush is divided into several parts. Delenki should immediately be planted in open soil, keeping a distance of 0.2 m between them. They should be watered regularly and often enough, and protected from direct sunlight.