To provide your family with fresh, tasty and healthy homemade eggs it is not at all necessary to have a large chicken herd. Quite enough five chickens, and the presence of a rooster is not required. You can feed them with grain and leftover food from the table, and solve the housing problem by building a small house. For example, a chicken coop is quite suitable for yourself, as in the photo - a mini variation. How to do this, and what is required for this, read below.
Features of the house for 5 chickens
Build a mini chicken coop in the country is not so difficult. For several chickens there will be enough small room in which in the winter period it will be well kept warm. In the warm season inside it, the bird will only sleep and carry eggs, and spend the rest of the time on the fenced range. It is better to make it spacious so that the chickens do not feel discomfort. Ideally, the walking area should be at least twice as large as the house itself. For example, a very economical option could be walking under the house itself, as in the photo.
When building a chicken coop in the country with their own hands, the choice of location is of great importance. There should be no drafts and shadows, but the direct sun is also not desirable. The site must be dry so that the room does not feel damp. Assume a slight bias, which will contribute to the rapid removal of precipitation.
Determine the size of the future chicken coop can be based on veterinary standards, according to which 1 square meter. can accommodate up to three laying hens. It turns out that a mini chicken coop for 5 chickens should have a minimum area of 2 square meters, that is, a permissible size of 1x2 m or 1.5x1.5 m. But how such a house can look like it was made with your own hands, you can see many interesting photos in the video from the channel Country ideas.
Build a chicken coop yourself
First of all, you should understand that building a quality chicken coop with your own hands, even if it comes with a mini prefix, will not work from improvised means. We'll have to take care of reliable insulation, so that your chickens do not freeze in the winter, but continue to regularly run. On the other hand, a small chicken coop can be an excellent element of landscape design that you can skillfully beat. After looking at the various options in the photo and selecting the appropriate drawing, you can go for the materials and feel free to begin construction at the cottage. The size of such a chicken coop will be insignificant, so its construction at the country house with its own hands will not take much of your time.
We suggest you build your own mini coop in the form of a spacious cage. This option has several advantages, the main of which is its mobility. The size of the cage is 1x2 m, and if necessary it will not be difficult for you to move it around the cottage, after dismantling the paddock. Thanks to the simple design, you can quickly draw a drawing and begin construction. In addition, such a mini chicken coop in the country will not disturb the landscape, because it does not need a foundation for it. The ground under the cage can be planted with grass or covered with fine gravel.
Tools and materials
First of all, you need to make a list of necessary materials. Something may already be in your dacha, so do not blindly go to the store. For example, a wooden bar, which is required for the coop racks, may be at hand from some preliminary construction work. In general, the full list of materials is as follows:
- timber 50x50,
- wooden slat 2x3 cm,
- plywood or OSB-plate,
- metal fittings or pipe,
- slate or tile,
- foam, mineral wool or other insulation,
- small door hinges
- nails and screws.
From the tools you will need:
Do not forget to pre-make a drawing or at least in an exemplary drawing outline a plan of construction. It is very important to think about which side will be the entrance and the windows to plan the location of the nests and roost. Nests should be installed in the farthest corner. How it may look in practice, we suggest to look at our approximate photo-drawing. Dimensions can be selected individually, based on their capabilities territory.Drawing arrangement mini-poultry
Although our drawing is quite simple, let's not forget that you are building a house for chickens in the country, so step-by-step instructions are required. Let's start in order.
- We cut blanks from timber and plywood (length 1 m, width 2 m, height 0.7 m). It is important to accurately observe the size, because of these blanks to make the frame and the walls of the chicken coop.
- We collect the frame of the timber. For greater reliability, you can cut the grooves and connect the parts together with bolts. On the left in the side we make a small door for the chickens, and in the front there is a larger door for access to the nests and cleaning.
- We sheathe the frame from the inside with plywood or OSB. For installation use screws.
- We fix the insulation on the walls and sheathe the frame from the outside. Subsequently, it will be painted in order to protect it from the negative impact of atmospheric phenomena.
- We make legs 50-70 cm high (8 pieces at a distance of 0.5 m). The places of their attachment should be noted in the drawing, so that in the process of assembling with your own hands you will not have any confusion.
- We fill the transverse slats on the roof, fix the insulation and cover with a roofing sheet. Inside the roof pound plywood.
- Now we have to build walking. Its size should be at least twice as large as the chicken coop itself. It is very simple to make it: we drive in the bars, we stretch the net and fasten it.
- The edges of the net should closely adjoin the chicken coop so that the chickens cannot get out of the barrier. To care for them did not create problems, you can make a small door from the same grid and wooden frame.
The small size of the chicken coop allows you to quickly build it in the country with their own hands. Using the photos and videos from our article, you immediately figure out which house for chickens best fits into the landscape of your cottage. Do not postpone the construction and soon you will be able to always have on your table delicious chicken eggs.
Features mini coop
A feature of the building for 5 chickens is its small size, so it is possible to make it portable. Such a chicken coop is much more convenient for a small herd, as it can be freely moved around the site.One of the comforts of mini chicken coops - they can be transferred from one place to another.
Many gardeners take the question of how to make the birds under supervision, but they always had access to fresh grass. A portable mini chicken coop can be installed on a new lawn with fresh grass each time so that the chickens, while in the aviary, feed on their own.
We offer to learn how to build chicken coops for different numbers of chickens:
- A chicken coop for 20 chickens is a quick and inexpensive construction of housing for poultry.
- How to build a chicken coop on 50 chickens - http://ferma-nasele.ru/kak-postroit-kuryatnik-na-50-kur.html.
- We build a chicken coop for broilers independently in our summer cottage.
In general, a chicken coop for 5 chickens should consist of the following elements:
- Cottage for spending the night birds, equipped inside with perches.
- Pallet under the house to collect litter.
- Aviary for walking birds.
- Laying nests.
If the chicken coop for hens is not supposed to be moved around the site, it should be built on a place closed from the wind, but not in the shade. Putting a house for chickens in the open sun is also not desirable. The ideal location of the chicken coop is near high bushes for access to it by scattered sunlight and at the same time protecting the house from overheating. In order to avoid dampness in the hen house, it should be built on an elevated plot for draining water.
Council For ease of movement around the site, a mobile chicken coop and an aviary can be equipped with wheels.
The size of the chicken coop for 5 chickens is determined in accordance with the veterinary sanitary standards. According to the standards, no more than 3 birds should live on a square meter. Therefore, a mini chicken coop for 5 heads should have an area of 2 square meters. That is, the size of the house - 1x2 or 1.5x 1.5 meters.
Adjacent to the house for the night is an open-air cage for walking chickens in the form of a net cage. The area of the enclosure is 2x2 or 1.5x2 meters. If the chicken coop is stationary, and there is free space on the plot, the aviary can be made more spacious. Exit in the aviary is done on the south side. For free movement of chickens for them from the house to the aviary, a manhole is made with a latch outside.The photo shows a drawing of a simple mini chicken coop for 5 chickens.
Foundation and floor
The construction of the foundation for the chicken coop is necessary if stationary construction is planned. On the prepared site, a strip, columnar or monolithic foundation is arranged. The most difficult thing is to make a strip or monolithic foundation, since it is necessary for them to dig a trench, construct a formwork, fill it with concrete. This will require additional investment and will lengthen the construction of the chicken coop.
For a columnar base, perimeter bases are made of pits filled with concrete. As an option, you can install the posts directly on the tamped soil. Pillar foundation - the most acceptable option. Its arrangement does not require a lot of time, at the same time, it gives the opportunity to raise the structure above the ground to protect chickens from dampness and attack of rodents.
The floor in the chicken coop is made plank, concrete, adobe. For the construction of wood on the frame the only option is a plank floor. You can make the floor of a metal grid, and mount wooden under it. A sheet metal pan is inserted between the plank floor and the mesh. This design will facilitate the cleaning of the chicken coop, as the litter will freely penetrate into the pan, and will not accumulate in the room.Inside the mini chicken coop, you can install a special pan on which the droppings will accumulate.
Important. Mini chicken coop for 5 chickens may well do without a foundation. A wooden frame is used as a support, to which columns are made of 150X150 bar and 60-70 cm high as legs.
Wall and roof installation
Installation of the building consists of the following actions:
- Start with the manufacture of the frame. First of all, the bottom trim is made of timber. It is a rectangle of a bar on which the boards are filled, performing the role of the floor.
- The skeleton of the walls is fastened to the base, and the upper frame of the bars from the bars is fastened to it. Inside the frame frame upholstered plywood or OSB.
- Then, outside, a heater is installed in the frame and sheathed from the outside. To protect against adverse weather conditions, the casing should subsequently be treated with an antifungal agent.
- In the front wall of the chicken coop is a manhole for birds. A convenient ladder is attached to the manhole in the form of an inclined board with a width of 20-30 centimeters, onto which rails of a width of 2-3 centimeters are being packed.
- A door for cleaning the room and a window for illuminating the internal space are constructed in the side wall. The window in the hen house should always be openable so that it can be ventilated on warm days.
In the mini hen-house, they make a small hole through which the chickens will go out.
After the construction of the house for chickens proceed to the construction of the open-air cage. Frames of side walls are made of wooden bars and the grid is fixed on them. Then the frame is attached to the base of the bars. Over the aviary mounted roof to protect against rain. In order for chickens to receive a portion of UV rays and to protect themselves from rain, it is possible to make part of the roof, just like walls, from a grid. On the roof of the enclosure is laid roofing material.
Internal arrangement of the coop for 5 chickens
The house for chickens inside should have standard equipment, but with some features:
- Two perches are located stepwise at a small height. The length of the roosts should be about 3 meters in total: this will be enough for a comfortable location of 5 chickens on them. The distance between the poles should be not less than 35 centimeters, from the rear wall of the chicken coop the extreme timber should be at a distance of not less than 25 cm. The roosts are made from 50-60 mm bars, their edges are rounded so that the chickens do not damage the legs.
Inside the mini hen house, comfortable perches are sure to be installed.
Ventilation in a mini coop
The easiest way to ventilate the space - open the window. But such airing during the cold is impossible. Therefore, it is more expedient to do in-room ventilation. To create it, two pipes with a diameter of 20 centimeters are mounted into the roof. Fresh air will flow through one of them, polluted one will come out on the other.
Installation of ventilation pipes is as follows:
- Two holes for the pipes are made in the roof of the chicken coop. Exhaust should be located directly above the perches. It is installed above the roof at a height of 50 centimeters. Inside the coop is buried to a height of 15-20 centimeters.
- The inlet pipe is located far from the perches. Its height above the roof is 30 centimeters. The main part is located indoors at a height of 20 centimeters from the floor. Air from outside will flow into this pipe.
- Both pipes for protection from precipitation are covered with visors. The gaps around the pipe are sealed with foam and roofing material.
Such a ventilation system in a mini-coop will provide constant access to fresh air without the penetration of cold.
In the video, a farmer shows his home-made small chicken coop with an aviary for 5 laying hens.
Drawings mini coop for 5 chickens.
The figure provides drawings and dimensions of a mini chicken coop, the sizes can be taken on the basis of the number of chickens and the availability of materials for construction.
Materials for making a mini chicken coop:
- Boards, slats.
- Welded metal mesh.
- Sheds and heck for doors.
- Nails, screws.
- Jigsaw or wood saw.
- Roulette, pencil.
Chicken coop for 5 chickens: step by step production.
Making frame chicken coop. From the rails we make such a frame, we fasten the rails to each other with screws.
Now, from plywood we will manufacture the floor for the upper compartment, in the floor we pre-cut out the opening for the manhole, from the cut part we will make a closing door.
We sheathe the lower part of the chicken coop with a metal grid.
Fastened to the frame on the sides of the two boards, so that the chicken coop can be moved from place to place.
We will make the door of the manhole so that it is convenient to open the door - close it, install the mechanism from the roller and the rope. Now, to close the hole for the night, it is enough just to pull the rope and fix it.
Now we will make a hinged door at the end of the open-air cage in order to periodically let chickens walk out of the hen-house.
In the upper section of the chicken coop we will make a roof of the boards (so that the water does not leak the boards are packed from the bottom to the top) also the doors, for ease of cleaning the chicken coop, be sure to leave small holes for ventilation of the chicken coop.
The door at the end of the coop for easy collection of eggs from the nest.
For chickens you need to install a perch perch and 1 - 2 nests for laying eggs.
As a result, you get a simple portable mini chicken coop for 5 chickens made with your own hands from the minimum amount of materials.
A similar option is a mini chicken coop for a small number of chickens.
In addition to its direct purpose, the chicken coop should have a normal appearance so that the building does not resemble a normal barn and does not spoil the garden plot.
Mini coop can be put on the grass in the shade under the tree, it is not necessary to place it under the scorching sun, otherwise the chickens will be hot in it.
Переносной курятник это летний вариант, для зимовки кур он не подойдет, его можно использовать только в период со средины весны до первых осенних заморозков. Такая конструкция идеально подходит для сезонного содержания 5 – 6 несушек на дачном участке.
Особенности строения птичника на 5 кур
Курятник для 5 несушек обладает рядом особенностей:
- небольшие размеры,
- can be mobile or portable,
- the warmed little house does not need heating,
- the role of the ventilation system will perform a small door for chickens,
- only 1–2 nests, 1 drinker, several feeders and a perch for internal equipment are enough.
Layout, dimensions, drawings
First of all, determine the design of the chicken coop and make a drawing with dimensions. Usually for the construction of the house is calculated in the form of a small house. According to veterinary regulations, 1 square. meter, you can settle 3 laying hens. Accordingly, for 5 chickens enough 2 square. meters The sides of the house can be 100x200 cm or 150x150 cm. Its height is calculated based on the growth of the owners, adding 20 cm to it: in this case, you can easily clean or disinfect.
For layers, nests in the form of small boxes with a minimum size of 40x40x40 cm are necessary. They can be placed on a rack or create a small side niche-box for their placement. The height of the perch depends on the breed: for non-flying chickens, it should not be higher than 120 cm and a ladder must be installed for it. The size of the enclosure should be at least 2 square meters. m To create ventilation, you can make an additional sliding door to the birds went into the aviary. When performing ventilation of two pipes, take into account that the pipes must be of the same diameter and equipped with valves, so that they can be closed.
The window should occupy at least 10% of the total area of the walls. In order to prevent the outflow of warm air through the window in the winter, consider double or triple glazing. The photo also shows the approximate dimensions for the hen house
Materials and tools for work
For a chicken coop with 5 layers you will need:
- timber with a minimum section of 40x40 mm for the frame,
- clapboard, OSB-plates, sandwich panels or other board material for plating,
- slate, metal, corrugated - to cover the roof,
- grid to create walking,
- hinges and heck for doors and windows
- glass for the window.
- saw on wood
- metal saw
- drill screwdriver.
How to make a mini chicken coop: step by step instructions
Preparation of boards for the frame consists of cutting them to the desired length. If the house will move, then the bearing beams are equipped at the bottom of the wheels. A frame for prefabricated panels is assembled from a bar:
- rectangular - for the sides of the house,
- a rectangle with a crate inside - to install chicken nests,
- on one of the sides there is a contour for installing the door, and on the other - for installing the window.
Fastening screws is performed from the outside in order to easily access them when necessary. Building a house:
- At the site where the house is installed, a layer of soil is removed, and it is covered with rubble.
- The frame of the house going on the site.
- The structure will be on legs, possibly with wheels.
- The harness (frame) of the floor can be raised to a height of 15 to 30 cm above the ground.
- The floor is covered with a board in 2 layers with laying insulation.
- The walls are sheathed with sandwich panels.
- Hinged doors are installed in the doorway (large for the owners to enter and small for the chickens to enter the aviary).
- Installs a window.
- The roof is made of the same sandwich panels and covered with roofing material.
- From the wooden frame and the grid sections are made for the aviary.
- The aviary is fixed next to the house.
- Nests, a vacuum trough and feeders are installed inside the house, the perch is mounted.
Video: DIY Mini Coop If the house is monolithic, then the foundation is prepared:
- a trench is being dug, formwork is being made and concrete is being poured,
- or make a trench and establish a column foundation.
If you create a floor of fine-mesh and set down the pan, it will be easier to clean from litter. The roof must be made single-pitch or dual-slope in order to prevent rainwater or snow from accumulating on its surface.
Arrangement of the hen house
Roots inside a mini-coop. Inside the coop for 5 hens should be:
- 1–2 nests
- 2 perches,
- 1 feeder for crushed shells or chalk,
- 2 grain feeders,
- 1 feeder for wet food,
- 1 drinker
- 1 ash bath.
The total length of perches for 5 layers should be at least 5 meters. The height of placement depends on the flying properties of birds. Minimum - not lower than 130 cm from the floor. Perches can be located in 2 rows: one is lower and the other is higher.
1–2 nests are enough for 5 chickens. You can arrange them on a rack inside the chicken coop next to the perches or in the form of an extension box to the chicken coop. For dredging eggs in it you can make a lifting cover.
Feeders and drinkers
The shape of the feeder should take into account the fact that chickens love to rake the food with their paws. Therefore, the best will be feeders made of polypropylene or polyvinyl chloride pipe. Feeders and drinkers for poultry are installed in the aviary. The pipe cut in half can be fixed on the house wall at least 20 cm from the floor or in the form of 4 separate pipes ending in a knee, which serves as the feeder.
This is a convenient form for bunker grain feeders - there is a sufficient amount of feed in front of the birds, which cannot be scattered across the floor. The same shape can be made drinking.
Laying on the floor solves several important tasks:
- gives additional isolation to the paws of layers from the cold,
- realizes their instinct to search for food,
- protects the floor from manure.
What should take care in the winterIn the house will be enough one bulb
The temperature in the house in winter should not fall below + 14 ° C. There are panels with high thermal conductivity in the building materials market. Birds in a small room produce enough heat so that additional heating is not required.
As for the lighting, the sanitary standards for 1 square. m square should account for 3-4 watts of lighting. Therefore, in the house for 5 layers is enough to install 1 light bulb. In winter, artificial lighting will help keep chicken production in eggs. When installing the lighting, it is possible to provide 1 outlet and a place to install the heater in case the outside air temperature stays below –20 ° C.
For the organization of access to fresh air in the room is quite enough a small door through which chickens go into the aviary. If you want to quickly ventilate the chicken coop, you can open a large door, and the air will be updated in minutes.
Creating a house for 5 chickens will take no more than 1-3 days and will provide birds with a comfortable room that best fits a small population. Modern building materials will maintain an optimal microclimate inside and will help preserve the health of birds.