Before slaughter, the intestines of poultry need to be released from waste products. For this, the goose is satisfied with waiting - they don’t feed for 10-12 hours.
It is most convenient to arrange a stay at night and in the morning to make a face. If there is no such possibility and sitting is held during the day, then the room where geese are kept must be darkened.
To minimize unwanted contamination of feathers, birds should have a clean, dry litter or box with a mesh (grid) bottom.
There are two methods for slaughtering geese - external and internal. The first is used in farms much more often. It will require a very sharp knife.
- They take the bird by the hand, turn it upside down and stun it with a sharp blow to the head with a stick.
- A stunned goose is inserted into a special cone so that the head hangs down from the bottom of the ear (or slightly lower.
- Taking the head of a goose in one hand, they pierce the throat with a second hand with a knife. The blade should try to plunge as deep as possible.
- Then, in one motion, the carotid artery and the jugular vein are cut through.
Blood must be drained from the bird completely, as poorly bled meat quickly deteriorates. You can not hurry, then the taste of meat will not be lost, and the carcass will get a beautiful neat appearance. When the blood is completely drained, proceed to the splitting.
This method will require sharply sharpened large scissors.
- The bird reliably bandages the paws with a rope, twisting it by 2-3 turns. Then hang upside down over the pole.
- Hand unclench the beak and enter the scissors into the oral cavity. In one motion, the carotid artery and the jugular vein are steamed.
- Then pierce the sky, and the scissors blade is sent to the back of the skull, where the cerebellum.
- They are waiting for the blood to completely drain, and proceed to the cutting.
The advantage of the internal method is that it can kill the bird faster and easier. Due to the small size of the wound less bacteria gets into it.
To pluck a bird does not need special equipment, everything can be done by hand. There are two methods of plucking - dry and using scalding.
With the dry method, the bird is tied up with wings and paws. The carcass is placed on the knees, and the feathers are carefully removed manually one by one. You should not try to remove a lot of feathers at a time, because the skin can tear, which negatively affect the appearance of the goose. First, large feathers are pulled out, as they sit more firmly in the skin, then smaller ones. Plucking starts from the wings and tail, and ends with the breast, neck and legs. To make feathers easier to remove, they are plucked in the direction of growth.
When plucking with scalding, the bird is first doused with hot water (about 80 ° C). The feather softens and easily moves away from the skin. The disadvantage of this method is that it will have to be plucked quickly, while the effect of scalding remains. In addition, the scalded carcass is less stored.
When do geese start eating at home? Find out about it by reading our article.
What is dangerous infectious bronzit in chickens? Find out about it by reading our article.
After the feathers have been completely removed from the bird, you can begin cutting. The carcass is examined for feathers. It is easiest to remove them with tweezers. Thin hairs singe over the hob burner (you can also use a blowtorch).
For cutting need a knife, which is carefully sharpened and washed. The procedure is as follows:
- The abdomen of the bird is cut along the entire length, from the cloaca to the keel (you need to act carefully so as not to hurt the intestines).
- Removed all the internal organs. Those that are good for food are put off, the rest are thrown away. If the muscular stomach is preserved, all contents and cuticle are removed from it.
- The head is cut off - approximately along the second cervical vertebra.
- Wings are cut off at the elbow bend and feet at the level of the tarsus.
- In 3-4 hours the carcass is washed under the pressure of cold water.
After cutting, the carcass is left to "rest" for a couple of hours. Then you can start cooking meat or freeze poultry for storage.
For this process, use a sharp knife. The meaning of the technique is that the goose weighs its head down. Before slaughter, he is stunned by a sharp blow, after which the head is taken in one hand, and the other is made to pass the throat below the earlobe. The knife is inserted deeply, then the jugular vein and carotid artery are cut. The blood will flow rapidly, it must be given time to drain. It is important that bleeding occurs completely, it affects the duration of the storage of meat.
Method of dry plucking
In order to pluck the goose properly using the dry method without water, the bird is tied up, after which it is placed in front of itself, and manually try to remove the feather one by one. Large feathers are pulled out first, especially small ones. Plucking starts in the tail section and from the wings, after which pluck the neck, chest and limbs. In the direction of growth. To preserve the presentation of the carcass and not damage the skin, it is necessary to take on a small number of feathers when pulling out.
This method of plucking geese at home is different from dry in that before it is held, the carcass is poured with hot water. The temperature should be in the range of 80 degrees to 90 o C. From the effects of hot temperatures, the feather is easier to remove.
- Scalding does not last long, so you need to quickly pull out feathers,
- Removing the pen in this way reduces shelf life,
- Further use of feathers and fluff is impossible due to the fact that they can not be dried.
How to quickly cut a goose
With any method of cooking goose meat its cutting is necessary. It consists of several stages, each of which must be done carefully.
1. There should be no feather on the carcass,
2. Remnants are removed,
3. The head is cut off on the 2nd vertebra,
4. The wing comes off to the elbow bend,
5. The extremities are removed by the joint,
6. The spine is separated from the trachea and esophagus.
Then using the knife blade, the abdominal part is cut to the cloaca, from the throat to the keel. This stage is carried out carefully so as not to damage the internal organs. The incisions are removed through the incision. Everything can be thrown away, except the liver. When the carving is finished, it is washed with water and allowed to cool for a couple of hours. After that, you can proceed to the preparation and storage.
One universal method does not exist, everyone chooses the method that seems to him more convenient. Therefore, how best to pluck a goose, everyone chooses for himself independently. Undoubtedly, each of the methods has its advantages and disadvantages.
How to determine the time of slaughter
The meat of young stock has the most valuable taste properties (6-7 months), therefore geese are usually slaughtered in October-November or closer to the New Year holidays. It is not recommended to do slaughter in the winter - at this time the birds are losing weight.The meat of young animals has the most valuable taste properties.
In some cases, young geese go for slaughter (3-4 months), if, thanks to good nutrition with greens and compound feed, they have reached a weight of about 4 kg.
If the geese were not stabbed in the fall, you should wait until the fall, because over the summer they not only feed well, but also receive a balanced food: greens, feed, microorganisms. Due to this, their meat becomes much juicier and tastier.
How to prepare for slaughter
It is important to know not only how to slaughter a goose at home, but also how to properly prepare for this process. Technique of execution and preparation directly affect the appearance of the carcass, which is important for the further realization of the goods.
Before you begin, you should consider several important conditions:
- Before a goose is slaughtered, it is not fed for at least 1 day (i.e. 10-12 hours). Water can be given without restrictions, but after 4 hours you should stop watering the bird.
- In the last 24 hours geese are slaughtered from the rest of the flock.
- It is better to make a visit before slaughter at night, but to kill in the morning.
- If the visit took place during the day, the place where the birds are kept should be as dark as possible.
Good to know. If the last day to drink geese with salted water, their meat will be stored longer.
After the blood has completely drained, you should immediately begin to pluck the bird - if it cools down, it will be much more difficult to do. After plucking, proceed directly to the cutting.
The sequence of actions is as follows:
- Take a well-sharpened knife. It needs to be treated with boiling water and rinsed thoroughly, and then proceed to cutting. You can work and special culinary scissors.
- First, an incision is made along the keel along practically the entire length, from the cloaca to the upper third.
- Through the gap formed remove all the internal organs. Not all of them go to the writing - the trachea, the lungs with the diaphragm, the esophagus, the spleen, the glandular stomach and the gallbladder, and the genitals are thrown out.
- Preserve the liver and muscular stomach. From it you need to remove the dense cuticle and all the contents.
- Next, cut off the head at level 2 of the cervical vertebra.
- Then cut off the legs at the level of the metatarsus, and the wings - at the elbow joint.
- The carcass is thoroughly washed under the pressure of cold running water. It is necessary to wait for the water from it to flow completely clear - this can be achieved in 3-4 cycles.
- Optionally, you can immediately remove the goose fat, which is used not only in cooking, but also in cosmetics - for example, they smear their cheeks to avoid frostbite.
It is interesting. Goose fat is completely harmless to health if consumed in moderate doses. The fact is that it does not contain cholesterol at all and at the same time retains all the taste qualities of animal fat.The bird should be plucked before it has cooled.
After cutting, you can cut off all the parts separately: goose fillet, wings and legs. You can also separate the fillets from the bones and store for cooking different dishes.
Storage carcass for future use
After that, the carcass can immediately begin cooking, baking in whole or in parts. And if you prepare for sale or for sale, it is placed first in the usual refrigerator chamber for a day, so that the meat is well cooled. Then put in the freezer.
Here you can learn about the basics of growing, feeding and breeding geese in a household.
You can read about the best breeds of geese for keeping and breeding in home conditions here http://ferma-nasele.ru/porody-gusej-s-opisaniem-i-foto.html.
In summer, a carcass can be stored at room temperature for no more than a day.. In winter, for a more complete freeze, you can take the cooled goose out onto the street, dip it in a bucket of cold water and ice, pull it out and hold it in the air. After 5 such cycles, the carcass is placed in the freezer, the temperature inside it should be below -3 o C.
In this video, an experienced farmer will show how best to kill a goose.
The wet method also includes the procedure of scalding the body with hot water (about 80 degrees) for a few minutes. As a result of this, it becomes quite easy to pluck a goose at home, feathers are easily torn off. The disadvantages of this method: the meat becomes red, and the shelf life of the carcass is significantly reduced.
We also learn how to pluck a goose, if the bird you do not want to kill, but only to collect feathers from it at home. It's pretty simple, but you need to consider the following features of this process. First, you need to pluck during their natural molt. It occurs, as a rule, immediately after the completion of egg production (June-July).
Birds grow in a natural way with new feathers and displace old ones, which rather easily move away from the skin. Secondly, before tweaking, it is recommended to provide the geese with an opportunity to swim well so that the feathers are clean.
Immediately the process itself begins with the binding of the paws of the bird, after which it lies back down to its knees. In this position, they begin to pluck the forefinger and thumb of the brisket carefully along one or two feathers towards the tail.
When plucked before the goose, they turn the plucked back, then the shoulders, hips, and wings. You can not forcibly pull feathers, they must move away easily, without much difficulty. If you notice a drop of blood, when they started to pull some kind of feather, you should not touch it.
When plucking, the geese behave calmly, and in the first hours and days thereafter they are a little nervous, irritated, fearful. As soon as they have a good meal, they will go into the pond to buy, they feel well again.
What is needed for plucking?
Depending on the method of plucking at home, a variety of accessories may be useful.
When plucking with an iron can not do without such items:
- pump (for mattresses, balls),
- dishes with cold water
- natural fabric
- two bags for feathers and down,
- iron itself.
Significantly speed up the process of picking their own hands at home will help machines and special attachments for conventional tools - drills, screwdrivers. They get a special nozzle - prying fingers.
In this way, you can pluck both warm and already cooled goose in just a couple of minutes. This is best done not indoors, since a lot of feathers and down will fly.
The downside of such a quick way to machine type, is the need for their further sorting.
The process of plucking with your own hands at home is carried out in the following sequence (let us tell you about the method of plucking a live goose):
- Put the goose on his knees with his back down with the paws of himself, slightly bend back his neck, and hold it in this position with the elbow of his left hand. The wings of the bird are fixed so that they fit snugly to the back, and she has not had the opportunity to wave them.
- If you can not hold the wings, better tie them, because the goose, waving them, may be injured.
- Several times spend the right hand on the breast feathers against growth, make sure that the skin is healthy, there is no damage on it. Also browsing which feathers are old, which are young.
- Begin to pluck 1-2 large feathers abdomen to the goiter, making a downward movement. You should not take too many feathers for one pulling, as this can damage the skin of the goose.
- Then go to the back and sides.
- The areas of anterior part of the back and neck are most recently treated.
- When properly trimmed, the goose remains covered with small feathers, without bald patches.
One of the main taboos for plucking a goose is the following:
- in no case can not remove the feathers and fluff together,
- do not leave bare skin patches,
- you can not pull out young, not yet formed feathers.
Pinch off with a typewriter
For anyone who wonders how to quickly peel a goose at home with a machine, there is a solution - removing feathers with the help of attachments.
Since it is rather long and difficult to pluck a goose with your own hands, many poultry farmers today prefer not a manual, but a machine procedure. They buy a special nozzle, with the help of which you can remove feathers, both on the live and on the already clogged bird.
Nevertheless, it is not advisable to nip a living goose with a machine that makes noise and vibration, and can cause him pain when misused, is rather risky.
Perosyemnye machine with a nozzle, prosylnye fingers should be at the maximum safe distance from the skin of the goose. There are no special instructions for their use, the plucking sequence coincides with the manual pulling of the pen.
How to pick a goose with an iron
The process of removing a pen at home is quite simple. First, the body of the goose is pumped with an air pump by inserting a tube into the hole between the skin and the neck.
Then they tie the throat with a rope to keep the air inside. After wetting the fabric in cool water, put on the carcass and begin to iron until the material dries. After ironing the feathers easily move away from the skin.
Thus, in stages, feathering is removed from the entire body of the bird.
How to pluck a wild goose?
The wild goose killed on the hunt is often not only valuable prey, but also a problem for the hostess, who will need to cook it with her own hands. Knowing the basic rules for plucking domestic geese will cope with the wild quite simply.
The slaughter is made by chopping off the head. After the goose, they hang it up by the paws for a few minutes, so that all the blood is drained from it. Further, it is placed in a pot and scalded with boiling water. Hold in this container for another five minutes, then remove, and immediately begin to vychipp (until it is cold).
Feathers (in spite of the fact that they are a bit tougher than those of domestic geese) and fluff should move away from the body easily. Immediately pluck plumage from the wings, breasts, then from the tail, back, legs. The fluff is easily removed with a small knife. When the bird is naked, it is trimmed over a gas stove and proceed to cutting.