For the season with one bush collected 0.5—1 kg of berries. Scarlet berries glisten, they are dense, firm. To taste they are the sweetest with some sourness. In shape they are slightly oblong, their tips are slightly rounded.
If the berry is cut, then the flesh is an orange color. Berries weigh, on average, 30–35 g, but fruits weighing 50 g also grow. The tails of strawberries are very strong. Seeds are small, they are slightly pressed into the flesh.Pulp varieties San Andreas - orange
Characteristics of the bush
The bushes are medium in height, their leaves are light green. Whiskers in the bushes is formed a little. On one bush grows to 10 inflorescences.
- Large berries, commodity in appearance.
- Bushes are resistant to gray mold, anthracnose and weather changes.
- For a long time of fruiting, from May to October. High yields.
- Berry transportable, she well preserved.
- Remontrant strawberry bushes need to be changed frequently, as with such an intense berry-tying, they quickly become shallow. Recommend planting new bushes in 3-4 years.
- Bushes require constant care.
- They can attack aphid and strawberry mite.
How to prepare the soil
If you plan to plant strawberries in the spring, then cook the land in the fall, and if in the fall, then prepare the soil in the spring. Place a bucket of humus, rotted manure or compost, 5 kg of ash per 1 m² of land. Dig up the ground with a fork, remove the weeds.
A month before planting, pour in 20 g of potassium sulfate and 40 g of superphosphate per 1 m², or 1 tbsp. a spoonful of the drug Kaliyfos, re-dig the ground again.Preparation Kaliyfos for top dressing
How to plant
Between seedlings indent into 25-30 cm, and between rows keep distance - 70 cm.
Choose a day without sun and rain, dig holes, pour water there and put a seedling. When you fill the ground, make sure that the roots do not bend, and the hearts were located slightly above ground level. Water landing.
Strawberry “San Andreas” was bred in California, USA at the very beginning of the 2000s. Since 2010, the variety began to actively move in the European market and in the CIS countries. Today, this strawberry is officially allowed to be cultivated in Belarus, but in Russia and Ukraine the variety has not yet passed the mandatory certification, however, it is actively planted by ordinary summer residents. Especially the variety is popular in the south of our country - in the Krasnodar Territory and the Rostov Region, where it shows a stable yield.
In the central part of Russia, the fruitfulness is not so great, but given the good winter hardiness of the variety, low demands on the soil and exceptionally high commercial properties, the popularity of this strawberry grows here from year to year.
The advantages of this variety are many.
- Fruits "San Andreas" have an excellent presentation - they are dense, shiny, rough to the touch. Seeds deepened inside. Fruits have a bright scarlet color, the flesh on the cut is pink-orange with thin streaks of white color.
- The shape of the fruit is cone-shaped, with a slightly rounded tip. The berries are very large, the weight of each is 30 g, in favorable growing conditions real giants weighing 60 g can be found. Such berries can be comparable in size with a chicken egg.
- The berries are quite dense, because of this they can tolerate transportation and long storage well, so the variety is popular with farms, where the berries are grown on an industrial scale with a view to further implementation.
- The shrubs of the garden culture are medium grown, the leafy plates have a light green color, the roots are quite strong and branched, which has a positive effect on the overall yield and size of fruits.
- This variety gives quite a few whiskers, and they are quite small, so they should definitely be rooted to replace the old part of the landings.
- At the time of formation of buds on the strawberry appears up to 9-10 peduncles, which are able to withstand the weight of ripe berries. With proper care, the yield of each bush can be 1-1.5 kg of berries.
Like any other remontant strawberry, San Andreas is a berry of the so-called neutral day, thus reducing the total light day does not affect the yield and the size of the fruiting. Usually the first berries are harvested at the end of May, and the latest ones are cut off in mid-October. The ripening of the variety is undulating, with an interval of 5-6 weeks. If in July there is sultry arid weather, then the size and number of fruits can be significantly reduced.
To prevent this from happening, small awnings are drawn between the beds, which create the necessary shading and thus save the crop.
Strawberries of this variety are resistant to most fungal diseases, as well as to insect pests - this is due to the high immunity of the plant. Reviews of taste characteristics of the variety are rather contradictory, however, the overwhelming majority of gardeners give them a rating of 4 to 4.5 points out of five, the rest claim that the pulp of the berry is too dense and even rough.
Fruits "San Andreas" have a universal purpose - they are eaten raw, added to sweet pastries, and also used for making preparations for the winter.
San Andreas Reviews
Thus, the strawberry San Andreas reviews deserved twofold. Beauty and taste - by 5 points, cultivation requires intensive farming. Productivity - there are options and better, there is worse - only my personal opinion: perhaps an insufficient amount of fertilizer, perhaps the soil did not fit or the climate.
Facing completely opposite reviews, speaking in favor of my mistakes, thinking about my mistakes, I want to correct the mistakes - well, a berry, whatever you say, but very good. Perhaps, having reached a higher level of professionalism and, accordingly, a higher level of agricultural technology, I will ever again come back to this wonderful variety.
Video: Description of the variety of strawberries "San Andreas"
San Andreas has some drawbacks:
- bushes are demanding to care for them,
- the repairing variety requires regular replacement of the bushes (every 3-4 years), otherwise the intensive setting of the berries will lead to the fact that they will eventually become smaller and smaller,
- The variety is susceptible to aphids and strawberry mites.
Experts note that one strawberry bush in a warm summer can produce up to 4 fruiting during the growing season. The bush has a medium size compared with other varieties of strawberries.
It is compact, spherical, with medium thickening. On each of the bushes on average up to 10 inflorescences are formed. Strawberry “San Andreas” can withstand temperatures down to -16 ° С. And in regions where winters are more severe, it is necessary to construct special shelters for it.
Characteristics of berries and yield
Berries of strawberry "San Andreas" are distinguished by the following features:
- average fruit weight reaches 30 g. Maximum possible single specimens - 50 g,
- potential yield from one bush with optimal and proper care - 500-1000 g,
- fruits have a high density, the seeds are slightly pressed into the berries,
- the inner flesh of the berries has a light red color, the taste qualities are at a high level (the fruits are soft and juicy, there are notes of a slight sourness).
It is important to note that the fruits of this variety can be easily transported because of its high density. Some summer residents characterize the fruits as very hard. This feature allows large entrepreneurs to deliver their goods to different parts of a particular country or even a continent.
Agrotechnics of growing and caring for strawberries
Strawberries "San Andreas" will please their fruiting only with proper and balanced care. Many experts note that this is one of those varieties that, without proper care, do not bring the proper amount and quality of berries. Moreover, the decorative component of the bush is also lost.
Selection of seedlings
The best place to buy seedlings is proven and certified nurseries. They will provide you with a certificate of quality, as well as a guarantee on your product. Buying seedlings on the market, there is always a risk to buy the wrong kind or wild strawberry species in general.
For those who have not previously dealt with the purchase of strawberries "San Andreas", we propose a few rules for choosing seedlings:
- When buying seedlings in the spring (end of April - May), pay attention to the number of young leaves. They should be at least 2-3, not counting the old,
- Leaves should have a natural green color, natural shine and hair. Pale fading leaves are most likely affected by late blight necrosis of the horns. The disease is not treatable, so the seedlings die soon,
- dark dots on the leaves indicate the presence of a fungal infection, withering shoots and leaves indicate the defeat of strawberry mite,
- the horns should be thick enough, since the amount of the crop will depend on it. Experts say that it is best to buy seedlings, the thickness of which is 7 mm or more,
- Be sure to check the root system of seedlings. The roots must be branched and have a natural color and a normal smell. If there is a smell of rot, then it is better not to buy such seedlings.
These five rules are the reference when choosing young strawberry bushes. However, if you are new to strawberry farming, then it’s best to take with you to the market or nursery of your more experienced friend.
Conditions of detention
To grow strawberries “San Andreas” is best in places where radishes, marigolds, beans, carrots, mustard, parsley, and garlic were previously grown. But after cucumbers, solanaceous cabbage and cabbage, it is better not to plant this variety of berries.
Choosing a place to land should also be taken with all care. The variety prefers sunny spots on the south or southwest side of the plot. In addition, the landing area should be flat, without holes and depressions, in which moisture can stagnate.
Moisture stagnation, especially in early spring, can cause fungal diseases in strawberries. Separately, I would like to clarify the moments with sunlight. Decrease in fruiting can occur both in case of insufficient illumination, and in case of its oversupply. In the first case, unfortunately, nothing will be done, since you cannot change the climate region and its features. However, it often happens that hot sunny days begin in July-August, especially in the southern regions. Then strawberries begin to bear fruit less actively.
In such cases, gardeners recommend covering the landing with a special network that creates penumbra. The analog variant is planting tall grassy plants around a strawberry (maize, sunflower).
Soil and fertilizer
The variety prefers a slightly acidic or neutral acidity soil. For planting, black soil is best suited, in which it is necessary to add a little peat.
If there is no possibility of landing in black soil, then strawberry bushes should be fed regularly, especially if they are planted in dense sandy soil.
From the regularity and quality of dressings will depend on the yield of the crop bushes. Strawberry “San Andreas” needs both mineral and organic fertilizers.
For a grade, generally accepted rules of fertilizing are developed:
- The first feeding is made in May. During this period, shrubs need nitrogen supplements, which are growth promoters. It is recommended to apply 20 g of nitrogenous fertilizers per 1 m². In addition, it is necessary to introduce organic matter: cow and bird manure (diluted in water and produce watering).
- The second time feeding is carried out in the middle of the growing season. Often, this period falls on the period of active flowering of strawberries. At this time, complex mineral fertilizers are introduced, which consist of nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus. The complex of these minerals to make in the amount of 10-20 g per 1 m².
- The third dressing is carried out at the end of the growing season, when the berry bushes are preparing for wintering. Often this period falls in October - early November. At this time, strawberries no longer need nitrogen, but it is badly needed phosphorus, along with potassium. You can use drugs superphosphate and potassium chloride in dosages of 15-20 g per 1 m².
If the strawberries are not planted in the black earth region, then organic fertilizers should also be regularly introduced. For these purposes, the best suited rotten manure or humus (to make the spring and autumn). For 5 m² 15-20 kg of organic matter is applied.
Video: how to fertilize strawberries
Watering and moisture
Watering should be adjusted in the form of drip irrigation. This way of moisturizing will help to balance the optimal flow of water into the root system of strawberry bushes. After all, too much water will lead to fungal diseases, and regular drying of the soil will significantly reduce the yield of the variety.
Watering is best done in the early morning or late evening, as during the daytime they can lead to increased evaporation, burns and the greenhouse effect. Water for irrigation should be warm, about room temperature.
Relation to temperature
This strawberry variety was bred in California, where in summer the air temperature is warm enough. "San Andreas" is adapted to the Californian climate, so in our country the best grade will be in the southern regions. Despite the love of a warm climate, San Andreas can withstand temperatures down to -16 ° C without any problems.
Reproduction and planting
Strawberry seedlings are best planted in late April or early - mid-May. It all depends on the climatic features of the region. During planting, the distance between the rows of 40 cm should be observed, and between the bushes - 30 cm. This scheme will help the bushes to form the above-ground part normally and bear fruit very effectively.
It should also be remembered that when planting the core should be located at the level of the surface layer of the soil. Immediately after planting, it is recommended to soil the soil with peat, sawdust or straw. Mulch will trap moisture in the soil, which is especially necessary during dry periods of summer.
The variety propagates in two ways:
- whiskers. For breeding in this way, you must first select the strongest strawberry bushes. Take a few mustache and prikopat them on the sides of the beds. When they are strong and mature, they can be separated from the parent plant and transplanted,
Growing difficulties and recommendations
When growing "San Andreas" may experience various difficulties, most of which are associated with diseases and pests. But the above problems often appear due to improper planting care.
That is why it is important to observe the following recommendations when growing strawberries:
- 1-2 times a month to weed weeding,
- water and mulch regularly around the bushes,
- fertilizers should be applied strictly according to the rules that we have described in detail a little higher,
- in case of unbearably hot weather (daytime air temperature is above +34 ° C), planting strawberries should be covered with a special net,
- in regions where winters are snowless and frosty, strawberry plantations need to be warmed for the winter.
Pests, diseases and prevention
For the prevention of fungal diseases, as well as for the prevention of pest invasion, the following mixture should be prepared:
- 10 liters of water
- 2 tbsp. l 9% acetic acid,
- 2 tbsp. l chopped wood ash,
- 2 glasses of liquid soap,
- 3 tbsp. l sunflower oil (which was amenable to long-term heat treatment).
All the above ingredients are mixed, and the resulting solution is treated bushes and the soil under them. If preventive measures are ineffective, and the disease still hit the strawberries, you will have to use traditional chemicals.
The most frequent “San Andreas” affect such diseases and pests:
- powdery mildew. It is necessary to fight with the help of colloidal sulfur or potassium permanganate,
- aphid. Destroyed with an aqueous solution of wood ash and soap,
- strawberry mite. It is eliminated by spraying the bushes with karbofos solution,
- brown spot. In this case, treat strawberries with copper oxide.
In conclusion, it should be noted that the variety of strawberries "San Andreas" is capricious in the care. However, with enough free time and the availability of knowledge about the rules of watering, fertilizing, weed, etc., the yield of the bushes will be high.