Among the coolness of peat bogs, a beautiful, undersized shrub grows, which in early autumn flashes with hundreds of small rubies. This cranberry is a berry rich in all sorts of vitamins and trace elements, wholesome and simply very tasty. The “inner vitamin” world of this berry is incredibly diverse: ascorbic and benzoic acid, citric and quinic, ursolic and malic acid, vitamin PP, B (entire group), K, pectins and glycosides, sugars and much more.
Perhaps it was such a rich combination of vitamins and organic substances that allowed cranberries to take the leading place among garden and wild berries. It was her beneficial properties that allowed her to take a pedestal and be considered a natural remedy for many diseases. For weakened and sick organisms, this berry is simply indispensable, obligatory and shown in all recipes.
However, for an ordinary healthy person cranberries will not be superfluous in the diet. It raises immunity, removes harmful substances from the body, helps to fight colds and prevent more dangerous diseases. But few housewives know what can be done with cranberries in order to stock up on the berry for the winter, and preserve the benefits hidden by nature inside it. Today we will tell you how to properly harvest this berry and what reserves of it can be mothballed for the winter.
Storage without conservation
First, let's look at what can be done with fresh cranberries, in addition to canning. Our ancestors kept the cranberries in a cold cellar, carefully sorting out and removing rotten berries and drying the good ones. It is recommended to sprinkle the berry in a loose layer so that it is well ventilated. Previously, the berry was stored in the counters, scattering directly on the floor. But in terms of urban housing, of course, this option will not work. Yes, and long-term storage in this case is not expected. Cranberries with this method tend to wilt and dry, which is completely undesirable.
What can be done with cranberries if there is a large freezer? Of course, deep-freeze the berry. This is the second, but the most popular way to preserve all the benefits of nature in this berry. For storage in the freezer is better to choose those berries that have already been exposed to frost in natural conditions. As a rule, experienced gardeners wait until the first light frost grabs the cranberries, only after that the berries are picked.
Before freezing the cranberries, it is recommended to sort out, thoroughly look at the subject of rotten spoiled berries. Then rinse, spread out on a clean kitchen towel with a thin layer and let it dry naturally. After that clean and dry berries pack up the packages and remove for storage in the freezer. If you have a very ripe berry, then for freezing it is better to choose not plastic bags with cellophane, but a plastic container with a lid.
Frozen Berry Jam
What can be made from frozen cranberries? A lot of options: compotes, juices, fruit drinks, jams and mashed potatoes. But today we will cook amazingly delicious and incredibly healthy cranberry jam. In its composition there will be no unnecessary ingredients. Sugar and berry are the whole secret of making tender, melting in the mouth and amazingly fragrant jam.
The proportions of the products in this recipe are 1 * 1, that is, per kilogram of sugar you will need to take the same mass of berries. Frozen berries should be given time to thaw on their own. No microwaves!
In a large container with a thick bottom and stacks (it is best to take a cauldron for pilaf) we place the berry and pour the required amount of granulated sugar. Immerse into the mass blender and grind to a homogeneous consistency. Next, dissolve the sugar, hoisting the pan on the stove and letting the berry mass simmer for five to seven minutes.
It remains to remove the container from the heat and, gently shifting with a spoon, to rub the hot berry through a sieve. Peel and cranberry seeds are no longer needed. As a result, you should have a translucent cranberry jam. When it freezes, it will resemble a supple, fragrant jelly.
If you have large stocks of healthy berries, you can not only dry or freeze them, but also soak them. People have long known what can be made from cranberries and cranberries. The berries were sorted out, poured into large wooden barrels and poured to the top with ice well water. Some heavy load was placed on top and the berry was left alone for a month or two.
At the present time, of course, nobody uses tubs and barrels for storing berries, but the way of cranberry urination still exists today. For storage using conventional glass jars with a capacity of three liters. The berry is moved, washed and poured into the jar. Pour water or a special syrup (1 liter of water, a pinch of salt, a spoonful of sugar, cloves 2 pcs., A pinch of cinnamon).
What can be done with cranberries fresh yet? A very popular option is drying. The process is carried out using a special kitchen unit for drying berries, vegetables and mushrooms, or in the old fashioned way - in the oven. To dry the berries in the oven, rinse them first and then boil them in boiling water for a couple of minutes. Next, we spread the foil on a baking sheet, sprinkle the berry and send it to the oven for 4-5 hours. Remember that the layer should not be very thick. Every 30-40 minutes for the berry must be monitored by turning it.
When the drying is over, do not make me laugh to remove the berry. At room temperature, it should cool down and “reach” within another 1-2 hours. And after all these manipulations we remove the cranberries into glass jars for storage.
If you are a lover of preservation and are wondering what can be done with cranberries for the winter, then you will like the option of cooking compotes. The point is simple, quick and does not require special expenses.
The classic recipe for cranberry compote is characterized by the following set of products:
- Berry - one kilogram.
- Granulated sugar - 550-650 grams.
- Water - 1.5 liters.
As is the case with other methods of storage, before cooking compote cranberries, it is recommended to carefully sort out, removing bad berries. Wash them under running water with a colander. Now we put the berries in a saucepan, pour water, pour sugar and do not turn on the fire, but let it stand. Ten minutes is enough for the cranberries to swell. Now you can turn on the fire and cook compote berry. It will quickly give all the useful juice contained inside and, therefore, useful substances and vitamins.
As soon as the water began to boil, we mark five minutes. Then turn off the gas, give the compote a little cool. During this time, you can prepare banks. They are recommended to thoroughly rinse with soda, sterilize. If you like berries in compotes, then you can leave them. If not, then take out the cranberries with a slotted spoon, and pour the useful water into banks and roll up the lids.
What can you do with cranberries if you are a compote lover? There are a lot of options and combinations:
- cranberries - lingonberries,
- cranberries - sour apples,
- cranberries - mint leaves,
- cranberries - raspberries, etc.
What can be done with cranberries for the winter, if you are a lover of sweet pieces? Of course, jam. We suggest you make a very healthy and fortified jam of berries, walnuts and apples. It can be served on the table to pancakes, pancakes, used as a filling for pies, pies, bagels, croissants, sweet pizza, etc.
- Cranberries - 1 kg.
- Two glasses of water.
- 1.5 kg of sugar.
- One large green apple.
- A handful of chopped walnuts.
How to cook
As in the case of cooking jam, berries for jam need clean, processed, free from rotten or unripe "brethren". In order for the cranberries to be soft and quicker to give healthy juice, it should be blanched in hot water for ten minutes.
While the berry will “rest” in boiling water, prepare the syrup. Pour two glasses of water into a deep saucepan, pour in sugar and set on medium heat. Bring to a boil, waiting for the sugar to dissolve. Remove the fire and add the berry to the pan. Cook over low heat for about ten minutes. This will be enough for the jam to freeze later, and the berry does not lose its useful qualities due to the high temperature. At the final stage of cooking, you can add a few slices of apple and a handful of chopped walnuts. Also in such a jam, lemon peel will go well or even a whole fruit, cut into large pieces.
What can be made from twisted cranberries?
A very popular recipe is grated cranberry or ground with sugar. Such preparation will be perfectly stored for a long time, and the berry will not lose its useful qualities, since it will not be subjected to heat treatment at all.
The recipe will require one kilogram of granulated sugar and the same washed and dried berries. Cranberries should be mashed. A grinder, food processor or blender can help in this process. Twisted cranberries are filled with sugar and left for two hours at room temperature. It will only be decomposed in jars and stored in a refrigerator or cellar.
What can be made from cranberries. Blanks to fight colds
We have already told a lot about what can be made from cranberries. There are still a lot of recipes left. Very fast and healthy preparation is made from cranberries and honey. A jar of such a natural medicine will be just a magic wand during the period of a cold. Two or three tablespoons of cranberries with honey at breakfast for tea, and your immunity will say no flu and ARVI.
The cooking process in this case is very similar to the previous one, but instead of sugar, honey in a 1/1 ratio is added to the twisted cranberries. You can grind the berries with a blender, gradually adding honey. So the mass will be more homogeneous. Pour it in jars. We remove for storage in the cold.
Another option for harvesting cranberries for the winter is juicing. Berries should be thoroughly washed. It is recommended to sort them out by discarding the bad cranberries. To prepare takes two kilograms of berries and 0.5 liters of water. We pour the berry into the water and, turning it to a boil, turn it off immediately. This is done in order to soften the cranberries, and it was easier and faster to squeeze the juice out of it.
Juice we press using ordinary gauze. She will quickly separate the cake. Bring the obtained useful liquid to a boil again, boil with sugar (to taste) for three to five minutes. We pour the resulting juice into sterilized jars and roll metal lids with a key.
In conclusion, I would like to offer you a healthy and very tasty drink, which is obtained from the cranberries by fermentation. This is the answer for those who do not know what can be done with cranberries, for those who do not like sweet jam or jams.
The filling is made from 750 g of sugar, a liter of water and a kilogram of berries. Fruits should be kneaded with a spoon or tolkushkoy, put into a bottle with a narrow neck, pour water and add sugar.
Tip: berries should not be washed, as natural yeast should remain on their surface. Without them, the fermentation process will not start, and the scent will not work.
Mix the ingredients in the bottle, wrapping it with gauze. Leave the drink for a few days. After 48 hours, making sure at the beginning of the fermentation process, we put a medical glove on the neck. In it we make several holes that will allow the air to go out. In this state, the liqueur "rests" even 40-45 days. Next, filter the liquid, removing the berry cake, and pour into containers for storage.
Now you know what preparations can be made from cranberries for the winter. If there is an opportunity to buy this useful berry in the market in the near forest or collect it, then do not neglect such an opportunity. Time to prepare you will take a minimum, and the benefits will be enormous.
Before you freeze the cranberries for the winter, it is sorted out, discarded, sluggish and damaged, removed plant debris. Berries are carefully washed and, scattered on any matter, well dried. Dried fruits are placed in plastic boxes or cups and put into the freezer.
At constant temperature -18 ° C Shelf life is three years. It is advisable to defrost portions, as in this form, the cranberries should be eaten immediately.
How to dry the cranberries with the least loss of nutrients, we learn next. Fruits for drying are sorted, cleaned and washed thoroughly. To preserve a maximum of vitamins, the fruit is either blanched for a few minutes in boiling water, or kept on the steam bath for the same time. This cranberry harvesting is carried out two ways:
- In a dry ventilated area, the fruits are laid out on any flat surface and dried until they no longer stick to their hands. After that, they are collected and stored in bags of any natural fabric.
- Drying takes place in the oven or microwave, or in a special dryer. At the beginning of the process, the temperature should not be high - up to 45 ° C after drying the fruits increase the temperature up to 70 ° C. Store the finished product in glass containers under a lid for up to 3 years.
Mashed with sugar
Harvesting cranberries for the winter without cooking (ground with sugar) will allow to keep it fresh and without the risk of spoiling during storage.
For this method of harvesting berries and sugar take in equal proportions: for 1 kg of raw material 1 kg of sugar. The ingredients are ground into a mushy mass with a blender or meat grinder. The finished mixture is spread in sterilized jars and tightly covered with parchment, you can also cover.
Consider another way how to sugar a cranberry.
The product prepared according to this recipe is stored no more than two weeks, so you should not do it in large quantities. To prepare take the same amount of fruit and sugar (500 g per 500 g).
First, boil the sugar syrup, then the washed and punctured toothpick berries pour over the cooled syrup and put in the cold at night. After that, the fruits are removed from the syrup, dried, crumbled in sugar and stored in the refrigerator. Such "candies" are useful for children.
Cranberries with honey
This recipe - this is a magic wand during the period of colds: six teaspoons per day will help get rid of cough and runny nose.
Cranberries and honey in a 1 to 1 ratio are ground to a puree mass. The mixture is laid out in sterilized jars, stored in the pantry one winter.
For the jam will need:
- berries - 1 kg,
- sugar - 1.2 kg,
- water - 1 l
Jams and preserves - the best for the duration of the option, how to store cranberries in the winter.
For jam will need:
- berries - 1 kg,
- sugar - 2 kg,
For cranberry puree the amount of ingredients each housewife will determine herself, focusing on the capacity of the refrigerator and the desired amount of mashed potatoes.
Fruits are mashed with a blender or meat grinder, then sugar is added to taste. For a while, the mixture is left: the sugar should completely dissolve. The finished puree in glassware is stored in the refrigerator for up to a month. The freezer will provide much longer storage, only in this case the product is transferred to a plastic container.
In ancient times, when there was no talk of refrigerators, our ancestors prepared for the winter urine products. She was kept in good oak barrels in the coldest corners of the dwellings.
Today, moistened cranberries are prepared as follows: for 1 kg of raw materials, take a tablespoon of sugar, a teaspoon of salt. Dry ingredients are boiled in two glasses of water, cooled and poured fruit. This product is put in a cold place, seasoning is added for spice: cinnamon, cloves, laurel.
Soaked cranberries for the winter stored up to a year.
To prepare the juice carefully washed berries (2 kg). Then they are ground into mashed potatoes and, having transferred to the pan, they are boiled for ten minutes in 0.5 l of water, not boiling.
Next, using gauze to separate the liquid from the cake. Sweeten the resulting liquid to taste and boil, without bringing to a boil, another five minutes. Juice is poured into sterile jars and rolled up, stored for about a year.
For morse, take 500 g of fruit, 100 g of sugar, 1.5 liters of water. Washed berries mash, squeeze over a bowl through cheesecloth, collecting juice. The cake is put in a pot of water, add sugar, bring to a boil and leave to infuse and cool.
The cooled, but warm mass is filtered, the liquid is poured into the prepared jar to half. Затем доливают чистый сок, собранный ранее. Закатанный в стерилизованные банки морс хранят год.
Наливка из клюквы
Для классического рецепта наливки потребуется:
- ягода – 500 г,
- вода – 500 мл,
- сахар – 700 г.
This little red berry is record holder by the amount of vitamins and antioxidants. Preparations for the winter from it will support the immune system, cure colds, normalize blood pressure and clean the vessels.
- The very first useful property is a huge amount of antioxidants, they fight against aging, cancer.
- Cranberries are an excellent anti-cold remedy, lowers fever, removes toxins from the body, boosts immunity.
- It lowers blood pressure, acts as a diuretic, but does not contribute to the washing out of the body of potassium, normalizes cholesterol.
- This amazing berry will save you from cystitis, the substances contained in it prevent bacteria from attaching to the walls of the urinary canals, which will prevent infection from developing.
- Successfully struggling with E. coli, only not recommended for people with high acidity, may cause aggravation of gastritis, ulcers.
- It is recommended for vitamin deficiency and hypovitaminosis, with fatigue and poor memory, activates the brain, increases efficiency.
- Cranberry lotion relieve itching and acne, help heal wounds.
- The leaves of the plant are brewed and drunk, like tea - it is an anti-scorpion remedy, they are throated with a cold.
- In cosmetology, cranberry occupies a worthy place, with its hood, whole series of skin and hair care products are produced.
How to prepare this berry for the winter, to preserve its useful, healing properties.
When heated, vitamin C, which is so rich in berries, is destroyed. Also during heat treatment, useful compounds and other vitamins are destroyed.
The easiest way to prepare for the winter is to freeze it, it will retain useful properties, in this form, for several months, the main thing is not to re-freeze.
Cranberries grated with sugar
Ripe my berries, skip through a meat grinder.
Add to 1 liter grated cranberries 1.5 kg of sugar.
Mix thoroughly and let the sugar dissolve completely.
Fold in sterile jars and close the capron lids. Store at room temperature.
In order to preserve the beneficial properties of the berries there is another option.
Natural Cranberry Juice
3 kg of cranberries
3 glasses of water
We skip through a meat grinder and set on fire, heat to 70 degrees, add water and warm up for 5 minutes without boiling.
We rub through a sieve, we separate cake, we set on fire and we bring to boiling, we boil 5 minutes.
We pour it over the cans and roll it up, put the cans upside down to cool it. Store in a dark, cool place.
When used, you can add sugar or honey.
You can also make cranberry juice using a juicer, only in this case you do not need to add water, just boil it and roll it up.
Jam with apples
This variant of harvesting cranberries for the winter is suitable for sweet teeth, the useful properties in it remain much smaller than in previous recipes.
- 1 kg of cranberries,
- 500 grams of apples
- 1.5 kg of sugar
- 2.5 glasses of water
- 2 grams of vanilla,
- Cinnamon to taste.
We clean the apples from the rind and the core and blanch in boiling water for 2-3 minutes; we also keep the cranberries for 2-3 minutes in boiling water.
Cook the syrup from water and sugar and transfer the apples and cranberries there, cook until ready in one go. Before the end of cooking for 5 minutes, add vanilla and cinnamon, and pour into sterile jars.
Roll up or close nylon covers.
Cranberry is a wonderful product for making sauces for meat, poultry, and even just for pasta and various side dishes.
The sauce can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a month.
The combination of cranberry sauce with the products turns out amazing, having prepared and tasted it once, you will cook it for all the festive meals and just for the “soul”.
Recipe for a delicious cranberry-meat sauce
- 300 g cranberries,
- half an orange
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 large onion,
- 50 grams of butter,
- 1 pinch of salt and 2 pinches of red pepper.
Heat the pan and fry the finely chopped onion in butter.
Add the orange juice (preliminarily rub the orange zest on a fine grater), zest, honey, cranberries and simmer on a slow fire under the lid.
Cooking time 15-20 minutes.
Before the end of cooking add pepper and salt.
Remove from heat and wipe the contents through a colander. Cool, sauce is ready to eat.
The sauce is sweet and sour, it goes very well with meat dishes.
Today we talked about the wonderful and healthy berry, about its healthy and tasty qualities.
- Berry is contraindicated for people with high acidity of the stomach.
- Disease of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Gout and urolithiasis.
- Do not eat it on an empty stomach.
- Excessive fresh consumption affects tooth enamel. If you drink natural cranberry juice, dilute it a little with water and add honey or sugar, this will soften the effect of acid on tooth enamel.
In the next article I will share with you recipes for skin care and hair with cranberries, as well as other interesting uses of this wonderful berry.
The site "I am a village" wishes you good health and good mood!
If the article was useful to you, share with friends, click the buttons of social networks.
I propose to see an interesting video about cranberries.
Tasty and proven recipes can be found in these articles:
Fresh cranberries for winterSave the cranberries for the winter can be frozen or in the form of delicious blanks If you want to keep fresh cranberries for the winter, freeze it. Use berries collected in early autumn or after the first frost. In the first case, the cranberry is still immature, but strong, and it is convenient to touch it. Before harvesting their berries are left to ripen in a bright room with good ventilation. In the second case, the cranberries are tasty and sweet. But before you save the cranberries for the winter, you need to quickly process and freeze it, because it can be crushed.
Basic rules for cranberry freezing:
- Go through the berries, remove the damaged and spoiled.
- Wash in a large amount of cool water, wait until it drains, sprinkle the cranberries on a towel and dry.
- If the berries are already ripe, place them in plastic containers.
- If you freeze unripe fruits, put them in small portions in plastic bags and wrap with flat briquette.
- Put the bags in the freezer and select the quick freeze mode.
- The temperature during storage of cranberries for the winter should not rise above -18 ° C.
- If the berries are thawed, they must be immediately processed.
Cranberries for the winter in its own juice
If you are looking for a way to make a cranberry for the winter, without heat-treating it, try the recipe for the berries in its own juice. For the recipe, only fruits collected after the first frost are suitable. They are juicy, ripe, and easy to make juice from. Store cranberries in sterilized jars. Sterilization time depends on their volume - 10 minutes for dishes in ½ liter and 15 minutes for dishes in 1 liter.
You will need:
How to cook:
- Mash 1,5 kg of berries with a crush or chop in a blender.
- Heat the mixture over low heat and strain through several layers of gauze.
- Pour the resulting juice into an enamel pan.
- Add the remaining berries to the juice and heat, but do not boil.
- Spread the workpiece on hot sterile jars, put them in a water bath and cover with boiled lids.
- After 10−15 minutes, wrap the jars in a warm cloth.
Calories per 100 grams. product 21.2 Kcal.
Cranberries, grated with sugar for the winter
Pureed cranberries for the winter retain useful properties, since they are not heat treated.. However, due to the lack of cooking, its shelf life is reduced. To extend the safety of cranberries pureed with sugar for the winter, keep the recipe unchanged and consider the following recommendations:
- Always pick berries, removing damaged and rotten fruit.
- Rinse the cranberries thoroughly.
- Before processing, dry the berries so that not a drop of moisture remains. Otherwise, you will create in the bank an environment favorable for the reproduction of microorganisms.
- Banks must be dry and sterilized.
- Keep the workpiece in the refrigerator or other cool place.
Before you cook cranberries for the winter with sugar according to the classic recipe, keep in mind that the taste of the dish is sour-sweet. If you are a "sweet tooth", increase the amount of granulated sugar by 30-50%. It is impossible to reduce its quantity.
You will need:
- cranberries - 1 kg
- granulated sugar - 1 kg.
How to cook:
- Sort out the cranberries, rinse and spread on cotton fabric, so that the water is completely glass from the berries and they dry.
- Crush the fruit with a meat grinder or blender to a puree state. To get a more tender mash, use a strainer.
- Add sugar to the cranberry mass, cover the container with a warm cloth and leave for 8–12 hours in a cool place.
- Spread grated cranberries in sterilized jars, close the sealed lids and store in the refrigerator.
Calories per 100 grams. product 208.6 Kcal.
Homemade Cranberry JamCranberry jam can be cooked in less than 30 minutes. Cranberry jam is a popular way to save cranberries for the winter without freezing. So that the dish does not lose its presentable appearance, fold the homemade jam on the cans only after complete cooling. When the hot mass is rolled up, the syrup stays at the bottom of the dish, and the berries go up.
If you want to experiment with cranberry jam for the winter, add a simple recipe with apples or walnuts. You can also add vanilla sugar.
You will need:
- cranberries - 1 kg
- granulated sugar - 1.5 kg,
- water - 500 ml.
How to cook:
- Pour water into a saucepan, pour the washed berries into a colander and problanshiruyte them in boiling water for 2−3 minutes.
- When the cranberries are soft, transfer them to another pan.
- Add sugar to the blanching water and boil the syrup.
- Pour the cranberries with boiling syrup, bring to a boil and cook over high heat for 10 minutes until the mass thickens. Take off the forming foam.
- Reduce heat and simmer jam for 10–20 minutes. The dessert is ready, if you drop it on a saucer, and after cooling it does not spread.
- Leave the jam to cool, so that the berries are filled with syrup, and only the next day pour it over the jars.
Calories per 100 grams. product 212.1 Kcal.
Homemade cranberry syrup for the winter
Cranberry syrup with sugar for the winter is well complemented by desserts, berry-fruit cocktails and fruit salads. The recipe includes sugar, cranberry and water. Berries can be both fresh and frozen. If you want to make the original cranberry syrup for the winter, recipes can include cinnamon, vanilla sugar, ground nutmeg and other spices.
You will need:
- cranberries - 1 kg
- granulated sugar - 1 kg,
- water - 1 l.
How to cook:
- Pour the berries into a saucepan and cover them with water to cover the cranberries.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over low heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10–15 minutes. Stir them periodically to make the cranberries burst and sap.
- Squeeze the berry mass through cheesecloth. Mix juice and cranberry compote.
- Pour into a saucepan, add sugar and cook until thick over low heat.
Calories per 100 grams. product 139.1 Kcal.
Cranberries with Ginger and Honey
Cranberries for the winter with honey and ginger complement each other in taste and healing effect. To preserve the beneficial properties of products, make them cold jam without cooking. Berries take fresh or frozen. Honey is better to take bee rape or sunflower, because it does not have a bright aroma, and it crystallizes evenly. Ginger root should be fresh.
You will need:
- cranberries - 500 g,
- liquid honey - 600 g,
- ginger root - 70 g
How to cook:
- Wash cranberries under cool water and dry on paper towel.
- Peel the ginger. Rub on a grater or chop into small cubes.
- Grind cranberries in a blender or meat grinder.
- Add cranberry puree, honey and ginger in a deep bowl and mix.
- Leave cold jam in a warm place for 2−3 hours so that the honey is completely dissolved in the mixture. Then mix the blank again.
- Wait until the jam thickens and becomes like jelly. Spread it on sterile jars and cover with nylon covers.
Calories per 100 grams. product 195.3 Kcal.
Cranberries with orange and lemonCranberry with orange and lemon will help to increase immunity. Pureed cranberry with orange and lemon for the winter is suitable as a berry dessert or a sauce for sweet milk porridge.
You will need:
- cranberries - 2.5 kg,
- granulated sugar - 3 kg,
- lemon - 2 pcs.,
- orange - 4 pcs.
How to cook:
- Wash berries, lemons and oranges in cold water.
- Cut the citrus fruits into 4 pieces and remove the bones. Slice the fruit into pieces, leaving the peel, then pass through a meat grinder or blender.
- Drain the cranberries with a paper towel and add to the citrus puree.
- Twice mince the billet, add sugar and mix.
- Spread grated cranberries with orange and lemon in sterile jars.
Calories per 100 grams. product 202.3 Kcal.
Homemade Cranberry JellySurprise guests with cranberry marmalade. Homemade cranberry marmalade for the winter - a billet for the winter, which can be served with biscuits, cake, ice cream or with tea. If you do not like the sour taste of cranberries, dilute it with the sweetness of bananas or strawberries.
You will need:
- cranberries - 1 kg
- gelatin - 40 g,
- granulated sugar - 600−700 g
How to cook:
- Pour the washed berries into a saucepan and mix with 1 cup of granulated sugar, lightly pressing to peel and juice.
- Put the pot on a low fire, wait until the mixture boils, and cook it for 5 minutes. Stir all the time, otherwise the cranberries will burn.
- Transfer the berries into a fine sieve and grind them.
- In the emitted juice, pour the remaining sugar and cook over low heat until completely dissolved.
- Gelatin dissolve in water according to the instructions on the package, strain through several layers of gauze and pour into hot cranberry juice.
- Remove the pot from the stove and stir the liquid thoroughly. Pour it over the cans, close the airtight lids and let them cool.
- After cooling, remove the banks in a dark cool place.
Calories per 100 grams. product 175,5 Kcal.
Cranberry saucePrepare cranberry sauce that goes well with meat and poultry Sweet and sour cranberry sauce for the winter fully reveals the taste of meat and fish dishes. To make the dish tasty, follow the rules:
- Use for the winter cranberry sauce recipes berries, collected after frost. Immature fruits add bitterness to the dressing.
- Cook the sauce only in enameled non-metallic utensils.
- Store the refill in the glass container of the refrigerator for no longer than 2 weeks.
For dishes from chicken, duck and turkey, American cranberry sauce is suitable.
You will need:
- cranberries - 150 g,
- granulated sugar - 50 g,
- lemon - 1 pc.,
- orange - 1 pc.,
- cinnamon - 1 pinch,
- Carnation buds - 3 pcs.,
- nutmeg - 1 pinch.
How to cook:
- Mix the sugar and cranberries, put them in an enamel saucepan and cook until the berries burst.
- Wash the citrus fruits and remove the zest with a knife. Squeeze ½ of orange and a small slice of lemon juice and mix.
- Add zest, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg to the cranberry syrup.
- Boil the mixture for 5 minutes, pour the citrus juice and hold on the fire for another 5−10 minutes. Cooking time depends on how thick the sauce you want.
Calories per 100 grams. product 68.2 Kcal.
Sauerkraut with CranberriesDelicious appetizer - sauerkraut with cranberries Sauerkraut with cranberries for the winter - this is a popular billet for serving to meat and poultry dishes. From it you can make vinaigrette, salad, stuffing for cakes and pies. Before salting cabbage for the winter with cranberries, and then sour for 2–3 days, carefully measure all the ingredients according to the recipe. Excessive amounts of salt will inhibit the fermentation process during conservation.
There are many recipes for salting cabbage for the winter with cranberries, including pickled cabbage with cranberries for the winter. For any of them, use only late-seasoned cabbage, because such cabbages are dense, solid and contain enough acid and sugar for fermentation.
Also observe the following tips when pickling cabbage with cranberries for the winter:
- Follow the process of fermentation products and in time poke a cabbage to release gases. Otherwise, the dish will perekisnet and acquire an unpleasant taste.
- Do not add a lot of cranberries in the dish so that the billet does not turn sour.
- Before fermentation, close the jars with a lid and a clean cloth.
- Determine the taste of the dish by the froth, which is released during the fermentation process. The taste should be sweet and sour.
The classic recipe for sauerkraut for the winter with cranberries consists of cabbage, carrots, sugar, cranberries and seasonings for flavor and taste.
You will need:
- cranberries - 150 g,
- granulated sugar - 50 g,
- cabbage - 2 kg,
- large carrots - 1 pc.,
- salt - 90 g,
- bay leaf - 3 pcs.
How to cook:
- Clean the cabbage from the top leaves, wash, cut in half and remove the stalk. Chop the product into strips.
- Grate grated carrots. Wash cranberries and reassemble.
- Смешайте в емкости морковь с капустой, посыпьте солью и сахаром и перетрите, чтобы овощи дали сок.
- Положите на дно кастрюли лавровый лист.
- Укладывайте слоями капусту, клюкву и лавровый лист.
- Утрамбуйте заготовку, чтобы капуста и клюква пустили сок.
- Cover the pan with a flat object and place a pressure on the top.
- Keep sauerkraut for 2-3 days in a warm place.
- As soon as you see the foam on the surface of the cabbage, make a couple of punctures with a long handle of a wooden spoon. Leave the cabbage for another day.
- When the fermentation process is over, put the billet in a jar, cover it with a lid and put it in the fridge for storage.
Calories per 100 grams. product 34.9 Kcal.
For details on how to prepare cranberries for the winter, see the video:
Cranberries on the table - drugs from the table
In the cold climate zone of Russia and Europe, in the swamps and on moist forest soil, a silvery shrub with fiery red dots spreads along the ground. Cranberry has a pronounced sour taste, you can not eat much of it. And it is not necessary, because each tiny berry is unique in its composition:
- rich complex of organic acids
- pectic substances
- sugars, glycosides,
- vitamins of group B, PP, K.
The well-being range of cranberries is very wide, it is used for a number of serious diseases. Therefore, we can safely say that the periodic use of red berries helps to forget about medications.
This berry is not only healthy, but also tasty in the form of drinks and jams, as an additive to vegetable and meat dishes.
How to harvest cranberries without cooking
The recipes of preparing miracle berries for the winter are notable for a considerable variety and creative approaches of hostesses and cooks. One of the basic principles of canning is minimal heat treatment or lack thereof. Wet berries, for example, are harvested by simply filling the cranberries with clean cold water.
Paradox, but you can "cook" cranberry cooking without cooking. To do this, you need a kilo of cranberries and the same amount of sugar:
- It is necessary to clean the berries from twigs, leaves and other debris.
- Wash well under running water, dry on a paper towel.
- Mix the cranberries with half of the prepared sugar and chop them with wooden pulp so that the sugar completely dissolves. A blender is not suitable for this purpose, since the acids contained in the berries can react with the metal.
- Sterilize a few cans, place in them the finished aromatic mixture, cover with the remaining sugar.
- Close with metal or plastic covers and carry to a cold place.
In winter, this vitamin-rich jam will be indispensable for compotes and cranberry fruit drinks, and just for drinking with tea during the period of acute respiratory diseases.
Attention! Cranberries are different from other berries harvested for the winter without cooking in that they do not have to be stored in the refrigerator. Suffice it to cool place. The fact is that in the composition of useful berries - lemon and benzoic acids, which do not give it, will deteriorate.
Cranberry Frost Recipe
For the preparation of salads and vegetables, sauerkraut and the creation of sour-sweet, savory and spicy sauces in winter, cranberries canned in the freezer are useful. Typically, this is done using fully ripe berries, collected after the first frost.
There are 2 recipes for freezing peat sour.
The first option involves the use of berries of any size, whole and slightly trampled. They are washed and folded in portion containers, then frozen.
For the second method it is advisable to prepare large, whole berries. The washed cranberries are thoroughly dried and spread in a thin layer on a tray. After 2-3 hours, the red lights placed in the freezer are ready for pouring into plastic containers. On the lid of each food container should stick a leaf with the date of freezing and the name of the product. Such berries will decorate any dish!
Dried cranberries support immunity in winter
Experts recommend another way to harvest cranberries for the winter. He was actively used by our ancestors. Berries, scattered on a flat surface, previously could be stored for months. To do this, they did not need to be processed, it was enough just to find a dry, cool place in the house.
Attention! Drying the berries in the oven takes 5-6 hours at a temperature of about 70 ° C. It is necessary from time to time to turn the fiery berries for uniform drying. In an apartment with central heating, this is not possible, so the cranberries are simply dried in the oven, and then put into sealed containers for storage.
Cranberries in sugar - the favorite treat of kids
Candied cranberries are considered to be a simple recipe for peat berry, ground with sugar (this option is shown above). But we have selected for you another interesting way of harvesting cranberries. Candied berries are similar to candy, and are popular with children. Sometimes - this is the only way to get your baby to eat "vitamin".
For cooking you will need:
- 500 gr. cranberries,
- sugar as much or a little more
How to cook:
- Wash and bust peat wealth. Pierce each berry with a toothpick.
- In an enamel saucepan, boil water with most of the sugar so that it is completely dissolved.
- After cooling down, pour the syrup over the berries, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, pour the syrup (it can be used separately) and wait for the berries to dry.
- Each cranberry roll in sugar so that it is completely covered with it.
A treat for children is stored in the refrigerator, but, alas, the shelf life of this dish does not exceed two weeks. However, candied cranberries are eaten much earlier.
Cranberry compote cook without worries
To make fragrant cranberry compote you will need a saucepan and water. Cooks are advised not to use a large amount of sugar. Perhaps a drink without sugar, or with a small amount of it, will seem more refreshing and tonic to you. How to cook cranberry compote?
- Boil water with sugar added to taste.
- Put the cranberries in the syrup, wait for the re-boiling and immediately turn off the drink. Compote ready.
- Before harvesting for the winter, cranberries are boiled for 5-10 minutes. and rolled into pre-prepared sterile cylinders.
Cranberry compotes will strike the original taste, if you add any berries and fruits. Apples, currants, raspberries, cherries, wild rose, sea buckthorn, raisins, dried apricots will do.
How to cook a gentle cranberry jelly?
In the preparation of jelly is nothing complicated, according to this recipe, a sweet sour drink is prepared in 15 minutes. You need to collect the necessary ingredients:
- 3 tbsp. frozen berries,
- 1.5 liters water,
- 5 tbsp. l starch,
- 1 tbsp. Sahara.
- Bring the pot to the boil.
- Put the sugar and keep on fire for 5 minutes. after boiling.
- While the starch is dissolved in water, strain the resulting compote.
- Drink without berries again put on the oven. After the appearance of bubbles, slowly, in a thin stream pour the starch and mix the jelly well.
- Turn off immediately when there are signs of boiling.
Residents of the middle zone and the south of Russia do not often use cranberries as northerners. So who bothers them to start doing this? The required amount of cranberry is quite possible to buy and prepare for the future. Adding royal berries to the diet will bring not only pleasure, but also tangible health benefits for the whole family.
Pour 200 ml of warm (not hot to preserve vitamins) boiled water into a cup, add 2 teaspoons of grated cranberries (plus or minus one spoon, to taste). Stir, try. We regulate the acid and sweetness of the drink by adding honey or lemon juice. You can strain the juice, so that the drink does not come across berry skins.
Recipe cranberry jam without cooking on honey
And so, for a start, we need to pour the cranberries in small portions on a cutting board and sort out from spoiled and crushed berries.
Then, move the cranberries into a colander and wash them under running cool water.
After that, the berries need to dry on a paper towel.
Peel ginger root. A thin skin can be cleaned not only with a sharp knife, but also with a vegetable peeler.
For this recipe, ginger root can be simply grated, but I, for example, like to have small pieces of ginger felt in the jam. Try to cut the ginger into thin slices, chop the slices into long cubes, chop the cubes into small cubes (like a bow for frying).
Grind cranberries with a blender.
Add honey, cranberry puree and sliced ginger into a deep bowl and mix well.
Honey usually does not dissolve from the first time until the end, therefore, I advise you to keep raw jam warm for two to three hours and then intensively mix the ingredients again.
As a result, we got such a uniform consistency, beautiful, tasty and vitamin raw cranberry jam with ginger on honey.
When the workpiece is a little stand, it slightly thickens and becomes similar to jelly.
Cranberry jam is packaged in sterile jars, covered with nylon covers and refrigerated for storage.Cranberry jam is packaged in sterile jars
Store raw cranberry jam with honey can be no more than six months. On cold winter evenings, offer your family tea with cranberries, ginger and honey, and be healthy!
General information about cranberries
Cranberries are a small golden-green shrub growing in swamps in cool regions of Europe and America. It fructifies in the period from August to September. Its small berries resemble rubies, which flare up on silvery leaves. This berry is amazing in the number of nutrients contained in it:
- organic acids (ascorbic, malic, quinic, citric, benzoic, ursolic),
- pectic substances
- vitamins (PP, K and group B).
The unique composition of cranberries makes it one of the best berries for therapeutic and dietary nutrition. Cranberry enhances immunity, prevents avitaminosis and vascular sclerosis, easily cleanses the body from harmful elements and substances - that is, significantly heals a person and makes his life better.
The trends in the use of healthy nutrition methods in the past few decades have increased the frequency of cranberry use in dietology and simple daily cooking. They put this wonderful berry in drinks, as well as meat and vegetable dishes. Therefore, it is useful for all canning housewives to learn how to make cranberries simple and useful preparations for the winter to enrich their daily diet during the cold season.
Recipes for preserving cranberry for the winter without preservation
In the village houses, red berries were often stored in the winter, simply by spreading them in a cold, dry room. It was done this way: cranberries, which is naturally preserved due to the content of benzoic acid, were sorted out, aired to dryness and scattered in a thin dry layer in a cool, dry place. After a certain time, the berries were picked again to remove dried and wilted. However, the apartment is unlikely to manage to store the cranberries so simply because of the lack of space.
The following methods are more suitable for conditions in modern city apartments.
Attention! Applying one of them, it should be remembered: it is better to process the cranberries quickly, without delaying the matter indefinitely, so that the berries do not get crushed and dried.
This method is the fastest and easiest. It is ideal for cranberries, which managed to "grab" frost. To start the berries should be dismantled, remove damaged and wilted. Then rinse the rest, sparing no water, rinse with a stream of clean cool moisture. When it is drained, spread the berries on the fabric in a thin layer and dry. Then separate the ripe raw materials from the "strong". The first is decomposed into plastic containers, the second - into cellophane bags (formed into briquettes).
Place containers and packages in the freezer and turn on instant freezing, which preserves useful properties. At temperatures from -18 degrees Cranberry can last two or more years. Thawed cranberries must be eaten immediately.
Winter Cranberry Blanks
Today, women do not just keep the cranberries at the time of cold weather, but they create the most delicious preservation with the addition of sugar. Drinking tea with cranberry jam with your family on a cold winter evening - is something better possible? And cranberries in their own juice or puree of these berries perfectly help to cope with autumn and winter colds! How to cook these useful things? Very simple!
Cranberries with sugar
Take large ripe berries cranberries, wash them, bust, dry. Put layers of sugar in cooled sterilized jars, for better filling of the space by shaking the vessels and tapping on them. The top layer in each can is sugar. Cover the finished cranberries with a lid and mark them in the fridge.
Such a variant of winter cranberry blanks is simple. Enumerated, washed and dried berries should be crushed in a blender and mixed with sugar in a ratio of one to one (sugar can be put a little more than berries). Wait a day for the sugar to dissolve. As time passes, place the mashed potatoes in glass jars and find them a place in the refrigerator.
Cranberries in their own juice
For this recipe, harvesting cranberries at the time of cold weather is best to take raw materials, "hit" by frost. These berries are more ripe, better secrete juice and will not lose their beneficial properties from heat treatment.
- The first way. Rinse raw materials, sort, separate small berries from large ones. Mash cranberries with a fork, warm slightly and squeeze the juice. Dry the berries more, put them in an enameled bowl, add the juice (ten cups of cranberries - half the juice) and warm them up without boiling. Mark raw materials in heated dry sterilized vessels. Banks close the boiled lids and warm in a water bath (liter - for a quarter of an hour, half-liter - for ten minutes). After the cranberries roll up, turn the vessels over and cover with a warm cloth.
- The second way. Ripe large berries to sort, wash and dry, and then put in a steel or enameled pan and heat on a small fire or bath until the juice. In the process of juice will become more, and berries - less. After completion, the mass is decomposed into hot sterilized dry jars, sterilized and rolled up.
Frozen Cranberry Berries Kissel
- 1.5 stacks frozen berries,
- about a glass of sugar
- 2 liters of water
- 4 tbsp starch.
Cranberry berries defrost and chop in a blender. Put the resulting mass in cheesecloth and squeeze the juice out of it. Do not discard residues. Boil the water, throw the cake there, boil for five minutes, remove from the heat and filter. Return the broth to the stove and add sugar along with cranberry juice at the moment of boiling.
Reduce the fire level, carefully add starch, which is pre-diluted with a small amount of water. Boil for two or three minutes, then remove from heat and cool. Close the jelly in order to avoid the appearance of the film. Drinking is possible and hot, and chilled.
All of the above cranberry winter harvesting will be needed to combat ARVI and create a variety of goodies. Cranberries in sugar - a great base for tonic drinks, fruit drinks, as well as filling for baking. The easiest way to store cranberries frozen or soaked. But regardless of the method of storage, the result will please all the household and the owner herself.