Mastitis in a cow is most often diagnosed before and after calving. Symptoms and form of the disease are different. In connection with a specific diagnosis, treatment regimens are also selected. How to treat mastitis in a cow and what to do if it does not pass?
How to determine the inflammation?
Correct diagnosis of inflammation of the mammary gland in female cattle is the key to correctly prescribed medical treatment. There are many methods for installing a particular form of udder disease. Some of them show great efficiency, others work only together with the first.
To identify mastitis cows do the following:
- conduct a visual inspection of the cow and udder,
- find out the onset of inflammation and the time when the first signs appeared,
- installation contributing to the occurrence of the disease factor
- Milk samples are analyzed in the laboratory.
Understanding the picture helps clarify the conditions in which the animal is contained. In particular, the farmer tells in detail about the diet of the cow, milking methods, the number of transferred mastitis of this individual and others.
It is advisable to indicate all the available diseases, since some of them directly affect the inflammatory process.
A full examination before treatment consists of the following procedures:
- milking is organized, the secret of the udder is studied in detail,
- measure temperature, respiration rate and pulse,
- specialist examines the lymph nodes above the udder,
- compare the degree of heating, hardness and increase in individual quarters,
- describe the skin color of the breast and the integrity of the skin,
- nipples feel on the subject of stones, starting from the base and pulling to the bottom.
Almost all forms of mastitis are distinguished by general lethargy of the cows, partial or complete refusal of food, increase in temperature of the udder. With complex currents, the milk changes even externally, showing particles of pus or blood. It is necessary to treat any stage, since they can replace each other, aggravate the symptoms and condition of the animal.
What if cows have mastitis?
If the cow is diagnosed with breast or mastitis, you need to isolate it. During the pasture period, the sick cow is stopped walking, it is given full rest for the period of treatment. To reduce milk production, you need to reduce the amount of juicy and coarse feed and give less water. Straw mats need to be changed twice a day to keep germs from actively spreading.
Many cattle owners mistakenly believe that the painful condition of the udder does not allow milking. It is better not to disturb and milk the cow less often. But along with milk, harmful microorganisms emerge from the breast. Milking removes swelling and swelling. Therefore, you need to express milk at least six times a day.
In some cases, to speed up the process, the female is injected with oxytocin. However, in a pregnant cow, hormonal drugs can cause premature labor. Therefore, they can not be abused. The stimulator is injected under the skin in a dosage of five milliliters. In addition, five units per hundred kilograms of cow weight are administered intravenously at a dose of five units.
But before using the hormone it is necessary to milk the milk along with the impurities. Then oxytocin is injected into the jugular vein.
Milk samples are analyzed in the laboratory.
Machine milking for mastitis exclude and transfer sick animals to manual.
- Basically, it is necessary to treat mastitis at home. Therefore, the answer to the question of what to do if a cow has mastitis will call a specialist.
- If you could not get his help right away, you can relieve some of the symptoms with traditional methods. For example, on the first day it is allowed to apply cold compresses.
- The main thing is not to overdo it and follow an integrated approach. But how to treat mastitis in a cow, decides the vet.
Ways to treat mastitis
Basically, the treatment of mastitis in cows boils down to two options. They differ in financial costs, the amount of time spent, efficiency. The methods can be used depending on the form of the disease:
- medication with the use of antibacterial agents, vaccines, anti-mastitis drugs,
- the method without drugs - quartz, warming, irradiation and all sorts of gadgets. Livestock breeders resort to it to protect the milk from the ingress of drugs.
Not all modern means for the treatment of mastitis and for their prevention in cattle are harmful to milk. If the disease is treatable without antibiotics, the product can be consumed without restriction to a person and fed to them a calf.
Why you can not use mastitis milk, if it does not contain impurities? A sick cow gives a product with altered properties. It loses its taste. It significantly increases the number of leukocytes and pathogenic bacteria.
After consumption, it causes disorders of the digestive system and respiration. After drinking such milk, the calf will not become infected with mastitis. But its weak intestines and stomach are not ready to fight staphylococcus and other microbes that blood brings to milk. In severe cases, the harmful liquid leads to the death of the calf.
The physical measures for treating mastitis in cows include the following measures:
- clay lotions, mixed with three tablespoons and a liter of water, give a cooling effect upon the onset of acute mastitis. It is allowed to keep her udder for no more than three hours,
- When the nipple canal is closed with casein flakes, it is possible to inject a non-hot soda solution into it — about forty milliliters. It helps break up clots
- If you have subacute and chronic inflammation after five days, as the symptoms ease, you can make warming lotions on the udder. Paraffin, heated to forty-five degrees, is most commonly used for mastitis. It imposes on the affected quarter. And on top put a few more layers, heated to eighty degrees. All this is sealed with oilcloth and fixed bandage that keep warm longer
- Some experts advise using aloe vera gel. It helps to remove swelling, reduce inflammation,
- ultraviolet irradiation organized by the mercury-quartz lamp. You need to use it at a certain distance from the breast and a certain time,
- before using electrophoresis, the udder is washed with soap and dried, and the wool is removed. Between the skin and the electrodes place special pads and secure with bandages,
- treatment of subclinical mastitis in cows allows the use of ultrasound. Skin get rid of wool and wiped with alcohol. The apparatus head is slowly moved along the sore side of the udder. The dose should increase gradually, from session to session, which is a maximum of fifteen minutes. A total of ten procedures can be performed.
- after three or five days, massage of the mammary gland is possible, not more than twice a day. It alternates with the delivery and make with different ointments. For this purpose, camphor oil, ichthyol ointment and others are suitable. The advantage of ichthyol in its disinfecting, anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antiseptic abilities. The difference of camphor is that it dries the udder.
Massage in the treatment of patients with mastitis cows do with caution. When serous, it is performed from the bottom up, with catarrhal - in the opposite direction. Purulent, fibrinous, hemorrhagic inflammation prohibits its use.
How to treat mastitis in cows?
The market for veterinary pharmaceuticals offers many types of various anti-mastitis drugs. These are various anti-inflammatory, antibacterial agents, as well as local preparations for physiotherapy treatment.
The treatment of any mastitis is based on the complex use of antibiotics, anti-inflammatory and physiological drugs:
- With serous mastitis intracisceral antibiotics are used along with novocainic blockade. Diseases are eliminated in 2-3 days.
- Catarrhal mastitis requires complex treatment: intravenous and intramuscular antibacterial drugs, anti-inflammatory drugs, ointments and blockade are used. The course of treatment is 3-5 days.
- Fibrinous mastitis: two kinds of antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and ointment. The course of treatment is 5 days.
- Purulent mastitis treated more difficult. The treatment is the same as with the catarrhal form, but longer - 7-10 days. In addition, droppers are prescribed to reduce body toxicity, as well as antipyretic agents, if the animal has a fever.
When treating each form of the disease, the diet changes: the concentration of concentrates and water decreases. This is required to reduce productivity. Vitamin complexes are injected intramuscularly. For the period of treatment it is best to transfer cows to multiple manual milking.
The use of antibiotics for any form of mastitis (even non-infectious) is mandatory, for the speedy recovery of the animal. Apply different types of drugs, different places of administration.
Of particular importance are cephalosporins, which are not detected in milk, but have a high antibacterial effect in the treatment of inflammatory processes in the mammary gland.
Penicillin group antibiotics are also effective.The brightest representative is bitsilin. It can be administered intramuscularly, intramezymano or together with novocainic blockade. Main benefits - quickly derived from milk.
Drugs for mastitis
- Mastimax. Antibacterial drug for intracisceral administration. Introduced in the affected quarter of the udder once a day. Fully derived from milk in three days.
- Benstrep. Introduced intramuscularly once a day at a dose of 1 ml per 25 kg of mass, but not more than 10 ml per site. Used within 3-5 days. It is derived from milk 60 hours after the last injection.
- Penmicin. Introduced intramuscularly once a day at a dose of 1 ml per 20 kg of mass, but not more than 15 ml in one place. Can be used within 3-5 days. It is derived from milk 4 days after the last injection.
- Nitox. The drug for intramuscular injection. It is prescribed in a dose of 1 ml per 10 kg of animal mass, but not more than 20 ml in one place. Used during the week. It is derived from milk 7 days after the last injection.
- Novocainic blockade. Used at the onset of the disease, can be combined with an antibacterial agent. Reduces pain and inflammation. To conduct Novocain blockade can only veterinary specialist, in order to avoid injuries of the udder.
- Ribotan. Immunostimulant helps the body fight various pathogens along with antibiotics. It is prescribed in a dose of 5-6 ml once. There are no restrictions on milk.
Medicine in the syringe
Pharmacological companies offer a large selection of antibacterial agents in syringes-catheters for intraceceral administration.
This method has a large number of advantages and disadvantages:
Not absorbed into the blood and does not harm the liver and kidneys.
Increases the effectiveness of treatment twice.
Requires complete sterility before the introduction of the drug.
Requires a certain extract after recovery - 3-4 days.
Violent animals are very difficult to enter, possibly human injury.
In addition to syringes, catheters against clinical mastitis, there are drugs of this method of administration for the prevention of inflammation of the mammary gland during the dry period. They are introduced into all quarters of the udder after full completion of lactation.
It is also necessary to observe sterile conditions. If the cow has calved before the time limit, then it is strictly forbidden to use milk for food purposes, since the antibiotic remains. Examples of such drugs: Orbenin, Mastiet Forte.
- Camphor ointment. Applied after milking. Carries a warming effect. Edema and seals dissolve, and the recovery of animals is accelerated.
- Ichthyol ointment. Accelerates tissue regeneration, reduces inflammation and reduces exudation.
- Pihtoin. Acts in the same way as Ichthyol ointment - accelerates regeneration and reduces exudation in the affected tissues.
Stories of our readers!
"The additive has approached all animals - birds, pigs and cows. It does not have a pronounced taste or smell. When added to the feed imperceptible, the animals eat normally.
The composition is natural, so it’s not scary to give animals. In addition to the components that accelerate growth and weight gain, increasing productivity, there is a vitamin-mineral complex. Very happy! "
Massage is prescribed for fibrinous, catarrhal and serous forms. Various ointments are applied to the udder of the cow and are made from top to bottom. The exudate goes down and facilitates its delivery.
How to treat hidden mastitis in a cow?
First of all, a cow with hidden mastitis needs to be isolated from the rest, and to ensure her peace. During the pasture season, it is placed in a previously prepared stall. It should not be dark, damp, cold. The animal follows a diet to reduce milk production. In the presence of udder edema limit drinking water.
It is recommended to apply physiotherapeutic methods: warming compresses, applications, lamps, UHF, UFO. It is worth knowing that not only the udder is affected, but the whole organism of the animal as a whole.
Features of treatment:
- The course of treatment should begin immediately with the identification of symptoms of the disease.
- In the case of drug treatment is not recommended to use milk.
- For any mastitis, the main thing is to release the mammary gland from the pathological secretion.
- Antibiotics are used for inflammation.
- In the presence of a severe form, it is recommended to resort to symptomatic treatment.