In recent years, more and more Russians, coming to the store, are trying to buy Kale kale. But it is still rare on the shelves. But the owners of restaurants and cafes are increasingly pointing to the menu of dishes from this leafy vegetable.
On the gardens of the variety Kale until rare guests. That is why we want to attract the attention of Russians, so that Kale kale becomes a permanent vegetable crop. After all, it has a lot of useful substances that are beneficial to the human body.
European vegetable growers have long been cultivated. If we talk about the history of cabbage Kale, then it goes to antiquity. In the 17th century, attitudes toward leaf vegetables changed as more fruitful, disease resistant varieties appeared.
In Russia, the Kale cabbage variety was popular until the 18th century in the northern regions. Kale was appreciated for its cold resistance and the ability to get fresh vegetables in harsh conditions.
Attention! Cabbage Kale brought Russian vegetable growers.
Cabbage Kale is an annual herb with a short stem. The leaves are located on the petioles in several tiers.
The cabbage variety has an unusual appearance. The leaves themselves are curly, and there are well visible waves at the edges. This cabbage is also called curly. Eat only leafy leaves without stem and petioles. Animals can be fed the whole plant.
The color palette of leaves is varied: green, red, gray, purple, depending on the variety. That is why Keil is often planted in flower beds as ornamental plants. Look at the photo above, how unusual beds with Kale cabbage look.
The height of Kale's cabbage bush is around 25-50 cm. The leaf is strong, after cutting off part of the leaves, the cabbage continues to bear fruit. But heads are not formed.
A feature of Kale cabbage is the possibility of growing in one place for several years, but only in the southern regions. In favorable conditions with good shelter cabbage variety overwinters well and provides early vitamin leaves.
Cale Kale after wintering:
Leaf vegetable subport - Tintoretto is suitable for cold regions. It tolerates temperature fluctuations, yields a yield of +25 to -16 o C. The leaves of this green cabbage, strongly curly, resemble bubbles. The ripening period is medium.
Where and for how much seed can be purchased?
Leaf vegetable seeds are widely represented in specialized stores, departments, retail outlets. Online stores provide an opportunity to purchase varieties of not only Russian, but also foreign selection directly from foreign manufacturers. The cost depends on the number of seeds in the package and the company, from 50 rubles for 6-10 pieces.
Choosing a place
Suitable sunny areas or with a little shading. Place for planting should be smooth or elevated, in the lowlands possible stagnation of water, it will adversely affect the plant. It is necessary to observe crop rotation and not plant where radishes, rutabagus and cruciferous were previously grown. Plots fit after potatoes, onions, cucumbers.
What should be the soil?
The soil should not be too acidic. Landing place is better to prepare in the fall.. For this purpose, slaked lime, chalk, wood ash are added to the soil, humus is added. In the spring before planting fertilized with organic substances.
Planting seeds produced in the wells. The distance between them should be from 45 cm. Add humus, wood ash to each hole. At a depth of 1-2 cm in the wells placed up to 4 seeds. They need to lightly sprinkle with earth, pour and cover with film.
After 5 days, when shoots appeared, covering material should be removed, and cabbage should be thinned. In each hole there is only one strongest seedling.
Next young cabbage needs the following care:
- Temperature. It is necessary to sow the seeds when the air warms up to +5 C, however, Keil can withstand both heat and cold. Therefore, the timing of its landing is different for each region. It transfers from +35 to -15 o C. The most favorable temperature from +10 to +20 o C
- Watering. This type of cabbage needs constant soil moisture. Watering must first be under the leaves, then into the grooves. In hot weather, watering is necessary daily, while you need to make sure that the water does not stagnate. The leaves in the heat also need to be moistened.
- Top dressing. Recommend to feed Calais after 6-8 weeks, as the harvest. Excess fertilizer can cause leaf rot, so this is often not worth doing. Usually, mullein, wood ash, superphosphate and others are used.
The leaves can be consumed after the cabbage has grown more than 20 cm in height. You can cut individual leaves or completely remove the tip. This is done several times during the season. Overripe leaves become bitter and tough.
This type of fresh cabbage can be in the refrigerator for a week. Freezing is suitable for longer storage. Up to six months in the Kale freezer does not lose its taste and beneficial properties.
Diseases and pests
Subject to diseases of the species: kila, powdery mildew, white and gray rot, etc. The control measure will be treatment with a permitted fungicide such as Topsin-M, Hom, etc. Also can harm slugs, weevils, cabbage flies, aphids and other insects.
For the fight and prevention is better to use non-chemical and folk remedies.:
- spraying infusions of onion peel, wormwood,
- dusting wood ash and tobacco dust and others.
Prevention of various problems
Growing this type of cabbage should carefully monitor the condition of the leaves. The rotted and wilted should be removed so that they do not attract pests. It is important to avoid drought and excessive moisture. For this, the soil around can be mulched.
Kale curly cabbage does not require special complex care, can grow in any climatic conditions and is very useful. Able to give several harvests per season until the cold. At the same time, a beautiful appearance will make it a decoration of the site.
Kale - what is it
Unlike the usual variety, kale cabbage does not have a head of cabbage, but consists of only curly leaves. It is a bit like watercress, which can be found in the garden at any gardener. Curly cabbage is bred directly from wild species. Sometimes this variety is grown as a decorative element: its leaves look very impressive in landscape design and in the photo.
Cabbage Kale - useful properties
Indisputable beneficial properties of kale cabbage, because it includes a huge amount of proteins, more than 25 amino acids, including 9 essential. Braunsul cabbage, also known as kale, can easily replace meat products, which vegetarians are well aware of. No wonder they are engaged in its cultivation in garden plots and are regularly used in the preparation of a wide variety of dishes.
In addition to proteins and amino acids, kale contains omega-3 fatty acid, which the body cannot produce on its own. A similar amount of this substance is found only in seafood, which is not to everyone’s taste, and it is often not always possible to use them, because it is an expensive pleasure. In addition, kale has a low calorie, which is beneficial for losing weight. Data:
- This cabbage contains a record amount of vitamin A: half a cup of Kale is enough to cover the daily needs of the body.
- Lutein and zeaxanthin contained in vegetables, help protect the eyes from exposure to ultraviolet rays.
- Vitamins of group B, C, K, PP help to strengthen the immune system.
- Grunkol cabbage contains more calcium than dairy products.
- It contains a lot of minerals: potassium, magnesium, iron, zinc, copper, phosphorus and selenium (up to 1 μg).
Growing cabbage kale
Useful curly cabbage is undemanding. Even a beginner in gardening will not have a question how to grow cabbage kale as on beautiful photos, if you follow the recommendations:
- Red Siberian cabbage cale easily tolerates frosts up to -15 degrees. After freezing, it becomes even tastier.
- The optimal time for planting - the beginning of spring (April month). It is not necessary to prepare seedlings in advance. Seed can be sown directly into the ground, covered with foil.
- For ripening the seeds of a plant, 70-90 days are enough at temperatures above 6 degrees.
- The optimum distance for growing bushes from each other - 40 cm.
- Caring for this culture is simple, you only need to spud the plant several times over the summer, creating holes around it, and water it regularly.
- Throughout the summer, the vegetable can be cut. In place of the removed leaves will grow new.
Varieties of Kale
There are several varieties of seeds of this plant. Among the most popular are the following varieties of kale cabbage:
- Red - red leaves, twisted, long,
- Siberian - seedlings are not afraid of colds and pests,
- Premier Kale is a fast-growing variety, useful in diseases of the stomach,
- Dino - one of the most delicious types of cabbage with thin leaves,
- Curly - the sweetest type of plant,
- Reed - up to 2 m in height with powerful cuttings,
- Tuscan cabbage - wrinkled seedlings, easy to plant.
Cabbage Kale - cooking recipes
In dietary food, cabbage leaves are usually used: the cutting is too hard. One of the most healthy dishes is a salad made from fresh green leaves with the addition of various vegetables, eggs, dill and olive oil. However, this does not mean that you cannot use meat, for example, beef or chicken breasts in a recipe. Such a dish will be an ideal source of protein and other important substances. Not sure how to cook kale? Below you will find some simple recipes that have great reviews.
- Cooking time: 120 minutes.
- Servings: 5 persons.
- Calorie dishes: 950 kcal.
- Purpose: snack.
- Cuisine: Russian.
- The difficulty of preparation: easy.
You'd be surprised, but sauerkraut is no less useful for the content of vitamins than fresh or stewed. You can meet this dish very rarely, except in the photo of dishes from foreign nutritionists who know exactly how this vegetable is useful for the body and is rich in vitamins. Choose better large fleshy leaves: it is more convenient to process them for ferment, which is not much different from cooking ordinary sauerkraut.
- kale leaves - 1 kg,
- red carrots - 1 kg,
- water - 1 l,
- sugar - 1 tbsp. lt
- fine salt - 1 tbsp. l
- Choose large leaves, rinse them well under running cold water, chop into stripes 1.5-2 cm.
- Finely grate the cleaned carrots on a grater or in a food processor, then mix with the feces.
- Mix the vegetables well, squeezing them slightly, to make juice, put in jars.
- Prepare the brine from boiling water, sugar and salt, you can add a little pepper.
- Pour the cabbage with hot pickle, lightly cover with a lid, leave for 2-3 days for fermentation, then put in the refrigerator.
Cale Cabbage Salad
- Cooking time: 30 minutes.
- Servings: 4 persons.
- Calorie dishes: 3200 kcal.
- Purpose: for lunch.
- Cuisine: Russian.
- The difficulty of preparation: easy.
The easiest way to eat this healthy vegetable is fresh kale cabbage salad. There are many simple recipes for this dish, but the most delicious is with mushrooms and beans. In this salad a huge amount of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients. In addition, it is rich in proteins, satisfying. This is the perfect dish for both gala and daily lunch.
- Kale leaves - 200 g,
- fresh champignons - 150 g,
- canned white beans - 100 g,
- Feta cheese - 100 g,
- olive oil - 2 tbsp. lt
- walnut - 30 g
- Finely chop the leaves of kale, salt it, remember with your hands so that they give juice and become softer.
- Cut the cheese into small cubes.
- Finely chop the champignons, fry until cooked over low heat.
- Chop walnuts with a blender and combine with olive oil.
- Combine all the ingredients, season with the sauce and cool for 5-10 minutes.