Ficus Kinki is a member of the Benjamin variety and belongs to the mulberry family. Often they can be found not only in private houses, but also in city apartments. Care at home does not require careful attention and care from the gardener. Be Kinki first appeared in tropical forests, therefore, for a full growth and development of the bush, it needs first of all a warm climate.
Dwarf ficus by Benjamin Kinki
The ficus flower of Green Kinki belongs to a variety of evergreen plants with variegated leaves. Looks like a dwarf tree, covered with a crown of copious amounts of foliage. Leaf size is relatively small, only 4 centimeters. Lignified trunk, numerous branches grow from it. If you translate Green Kinki from English, you get “green and curly.” These words are the main in the description of the plant.
As is known, the natural habitat of this variety is Western America and Australian forests, while in nature, the shrub grows to 30 meters in height.
One of the main differences of the Kinki ficus is the color gamut of its foliage. The leaves themselves are green, but on the edges there is an uneven strip painted in white, beige or light green. Ficus gained its popularity due to the small size and compactness of the bush. Despite the fact that he needs some of the requirements for care, the plant has taken pride of place among the shrubs grown at home.
Conditions for ficus Kinki in the room
Home Ficus Kinki more fastidious flower than his brothers, who grow in their natural habitat. Therefore, you should immediately create conditions similar to those prevailing in tropical forests. In extreme cases, the plant will show its character. However, if initially the conditions for it are comfortable, then the difficulties of growing will not arise.
Temperature and humidity
Ficus has no special requirements for the temperature regime. It feels great at a temperature of +20 degrees, and also tolerates hotter weather in the summer time. Not adapted to sudden fluctuations in temperature and drafts.
If in winter to put the pot on the windowsill, near which the battery is located, and open the window for ventilation, the flower will definitely die. Therefore, it is strongly recommended to avoid such situations.
With the onset of winter, Ficus needs a room temperature of +16 degrees. However, if the house is too warm, then the health of the tree noticeably deteriorate. As a rescue option, the plant should be otpaivat water, but abundant watering in the winter period is contraindicated. Therefore, it is necessary to put a small container with water next to the plant, which during evaporation will humidify the air and thus the ficus will replenish its moisture reserves.
Ficus is not particularly picky about air humidity, but likes to take a shower. But to avoid excessive moisture on the ground, it must be covered with cellophane. Only after that you can start bathing shrubs.
Ficus Kinki is a rather light-loving plant, because there is good light in the tropics. However, when grown at home, this does not mean that the pot should be right under the lamp, the light in the house should be diffused. On the windowsill it is better to place it on the north or west side of the house.
It should be remembered that the frequent transfers of plants from one place to another are stress for the ficus. Therefore, whenever possible, this situation should be avoided.
In the summer, seedlings can be taken out onto the street or balcony; the main thing is to place them so that the sun does not fall on them, namely in a semi-shaded place.
Pot and soil requirements
The pot in plants should fully comply with the size of the seedling, but it is recommended to choose a slightly larger size. Kinki will not tolerate cramped, and if the capacity to buy a large size, it will also affect the growth of the flower. In this case, the root system will take root for a long time, and the growth and development of the ficus at this point will proceed more slowly. The material from which the container is made does not matter and does not play any role. Therefore, it is safe to take a pot from plastic, ceramics and even clay. And if you take a closer dish, then there its development will be incomplete.
The soil should be directly loose and well pass air and moisture. In this case, the acidity of the soil is better to make neutral or slightly acidic, in such a ficus will feel excellent. Special soil intended for the cultivation of mulberry flowers can be bought in the garden-garden shop. However, if there is no desire to wander around the shops and markets, then this soil can be prepared independently. For its preparation you will need the following components:
- Land with turf.
- Small pebbles.
All of the above ingredients must be mixed and add garden soil. In order for the root system not to rot from stagnant water in the ground, drainage should be placed at the bottom of the pot.
For beginners of floriculture, be sure to consider that after buying a ficus, it is necessary to completely get rid of the land in which it was planted and plant it in the prepared soil. On this will depend on his health in general. This is due to the fact that before selling the bushes are placed in a temporary ground, which is not intended for prolonged use. The main component in its composition is peat, and he, as is known, accumulates moisture, but at the same time has a number of nutrients.
Since this soil accumulates water, the flowers during transportation do not need watering for a long time. After some time, the nutrients in the transportation soil run out and the plant begins to fade and lose vitality.
How to water the plant
Dwarf tree negatively refers to abundant watering, but also grow in dry soil, too, will not. It is necessary to water it only after the top layer of the earth dries out; a moderate amount of water is taken for this. Water can be slightly warmed, but not above room temperature and allowed to stand for several hours.
Top dressing and fertilizer
Feed the ficus with the onset of spring, at this point the seedling wakes up from hibernation and begins to actively grow and develop. The root system is fertilized 1 time in 2 weeks, and closer to the autumn, it is reduced to 1 time in 30 days. Already in the middle of the autumn period, they no longer introduce supplemental feeding, this is necessary in order for the plant to rest and be at rest.
You can fertilize with virtually any substance intended directly for indoor flowers grown in the home.
With an insufficient amount of fertilizers, the ficus will begin to develop more slowly, and with its excess it may even die.
Crown formation and flower trimming
Formation of the crown is quite an exciting process, but at the same time difficult as it may seem at first glance. This dwarf sapling can be given almost any shape, from the simplest ball to the no less popular style today called bonsai. There are quite a few such ways of bonsai and each of them can be applied to Kinki. Consider some of these methods in more detail:
- Tekkan. To do this, leave the stem straight, the lower part is cleaned of foliage.
- Syakan. Sapling bend slightly to the side, so that from the other end protruded bare air roots.
- Hokidati. With this method, the crown should resemble a broomstick.
For pruning you need to prepare in advance a sharp garden tool or a regular knife. In no case should the foliage be torn off by hands; they must be removed with a pruner. Pruning should be done so that the skin of the seedling is not damaged. It is recommended to proceed to the process only after determining the type of the future form.
Transplantation and reproduction of ficus
After the acquisition, the ficus can be transplanted only once during the first year. That is how much time it takes a flower to adapt to a new place. Then every year it needs to be transplanted into a larger pot, as the bush grows. The best time for a transplant is February or March.
Further transplantation differs from the transport one only in that the soil can be left the same. Transplant carefully so that the plant does not feel stress and inconvenience in the future. Transplanted as follows:
- The tree goes from the previous pot along with the ground.
- Carefully moves to new container.
- Free space is filled with an additional portion of prepared land.
The shrub propagates in several ways, using a stalk or stem. This is done like this:
- A twig with two or three leaves is cut from the seedling.
- It is placed for 14 days in a jar of water.
- After regrowth of the roots, the seedling is transplanted into a pot.
In natural habitat ficus propagates by seeds. However, at home it takes a long time, and there is no guarantee that something will germinate from these seeds.
Diseases and pests of domestic plants
The crooks often suffer from aphid attacks, spider mites and scale insects. In order to save the sapling from this pest invasion, it is recommended to irrigate it with water heated to 45 degrees. It is this temperature that is required to kill insects. If after treatment the plant has not recovered, then it is time to buy insecticides.
Pests - this is not the only complaint among gardeners, it also happens that the tree starts to drop leaves and noticeably bald. In order to identify the cause of this phenomenon, it is necessary first of all to reconsider the care, because not only the appearance of the seedling, but also its overall health depends on its quality.
Ficus Kinki, planting and care:
Ficus Kinki is very popular and has an interesting feature: the crown of this plant can be given almost any shape. In addition, the ficus is completely unpretentious and is able to quite easily transfer minor errors in care.
Description of the species
Ficus Kinki is a compact bush with a voluminous leafy cap. It branches well, and the shoots eventually wilt under the weight of a large number of variegated leaves up to 4 cm long. The main stem is straight, covered with dense wood.
There are two types of Kinki ficus:
- at one leaves with a white border along the edges,
- at the second rim of cream color.
The variegated ficus leaf plate structure is more rigid than that of Benjamin ficus.
The variegated varieties of ficus do not tolerate waterlogging, so when planting at the bottom of the pot you must definitely put a good drainage. This may be a layer of expanded clay. As for the soil, it should be nutritious. Ficus grows well in the usual substrate for decorative leafy plants, which is sold in a flower shop. If desired, a bit of hardwood is added to it.
With age, the main root of the ficus Kinki becomes thick, darkens and woody. This makes it possible to make bonsai from a plant. If desired, you can just leave such a powerful root when planting above the surface of the soil, without sprinkling it with earth. So the bush will look more decorative.
When transplanting an adult plant, which should be carried out in the spring, too long roots can be cut.
Unlike ficuses with a single color, Kinki requires good lighting, so that the south windows are just for him (provided that they do not open and there is no draft). But even there, it is likely that the flower will need light in the winter time, since the light day during this period is very short. In addition, if the pot is directly on the windowsill, in winter it is necessary to put a piece of foam under it - rubber plants do not like when they have “cold feet”.
Understand that the ficus does not have enough light, it is possible for the stretched internodes and escapes. In addition, he begins to fall out of the schedule.
In summer, water the flower regularly, as soon as the ground dries from above. In winter, once a week is enough, while the lower the temperature in the room (but not less than 18 degrees Celsius), the longer the ficus can go without water.
The sharp yellowing of the leaves of the ficus indicates a modulation, and their twisting and leaf fall - that he is cold.
Care for Kinki ficus at home
Ficus Kinki has a significant advantage in comparison with other varieties of Benjamin - simplicity in care. There are only a few simple rules that must be considered - and the plant will delight its owner for many years to come.
- Watering: The requirements are fairly standard and applicable to most ficus varieties of Benjamin. Excessive moisture damages the root system and can cause the development of fungus. Watering a plant is necessary only when the top layer of the soil has dried a couple of centimeters. But no more, because the dryness of the soil, especially long, is not less harmful and dangerous.
- Top dressing: Ficus Kinki needs regular feeding, saturating the soil with nutrients necessary for normal growth and development. Fertilizer is introduced in the spring according to the standard scheme:
- 1 week - mineral fertilizers
- 2 week - break
- 3 week - organic fertilizer
- 4 - break.
The scheme is repeated in a circle, until the onset of winter. For indoor flowers - a period of rest, during which they do not need to receive additional food.
Introducing a top dressing, it is important to observe the reaction of the plant to such a “treat”. If the leaves turn yellow or begin to fall, then it is necessary either to change the fertilizer or change its quantity. The concentrate is diluted only according to the instructions, otherwise it will bring a lot of harm.
- Transfer: Young plants change the pot every year - the first time a Kinki ficus transplant is carried out immediately after purchase, after which it is regularly repeated. After 3-4 years, you can reduce the frequency of updating the soil mixture. It is necessary to choose a substrate that is designed specifically for this plant variety.
Important! After transplantation, additional top dressing is not required, since the new soil already contains all the necessary mineral substances.
The most important thing is not to damage the root system. For this reason, novice growers most often transplant the plant along with the old soil, to which the required amount of new soil is simply added.
- Pruning: Beautiful and non-standard form - one of the advantages in favor of choosing this particular variety. Moreover, the plant tolerates pruning excellently, and therefore opens the door for non-standard ideas. It is possible to plant several small trees at once in one sufficiently spacious pot, weaving the trunks together. Then, as they grow, they will turn into an effective and unusual plant that can be seen in the photo. When pruning it is important to reduce the manipulation of the main part, working with the side branches to create the desired shape.
- Breeding: Ficus Kinki is not only unpretentious, but does not deliver, nor the slightest difficulty in reproduction. For this purpose, cuttings are great, but if you wish, you can germinate a new plant from seed or from a small stem.
A suitable stalk is cut from the top of the plant - it should have 2-4 leaves. It needs to be put in water or wet sand for a couple of weeks - after that you can transplant the plant into the ground.
Diseases and pests of ficus
Why the ficus sheds leaves - a question that regularly arises among the owners of this indoor shrub. The main reason is improper care for Kinki ficus. It is important to consider the following rules:
- The air temperature in the room is less than 17 degrees
- Irrigation Disruption
- Lack of lighting
- Heat from the battery.
Very often, leaf fall begins even after moving a plant from one place to another. Kinki variety requires careful and attentive care.
There are 3 types of pests that can be dangerous for this plant. Namely:
Knowledge of disease and treatment will help fight for plant preservation. It is necessary to prepare a weak soap or alcohol solution, which is processed each sheet. This procedure should be repeated every six months, which will be an excellent prevention of possible diseases. If this does not help get rid of pests, then it is worth choosing a suitable tool designed for effective treatment.
Ficus Kinki - a plant that grows well in almost any conditions, you only need to protect it from drafts and excess light. And then its rich green color will please the owners for more than one year.
How to choose a plant when buying
It is good to buy ficus directly from amateur flower growers specializing in breeding these evergreen tropical beauties. In such a home greenhouse will never be sick or neglected plant, besides all the necessary advice on the content of the flower will provide a true professional.
В магазинах, даже специализированных, риск ошибиться намного выше. Если растение приобретается в торговой сети, следует удостовериться в качестве товара, проведя следующие манипуляции:
- Осмотрите растение. Make sure that it is visually healthy, has no damage, signs of decay, yellow or dried leaves, broken branches, etc.
- Take a pot of ficus and gently shake it.. A healthy plant intended for sale should not discard foliage, so even one fallen leaf speaks of the trader’s bad faith.
- Pay attention to the ground. It should not be overwetted. The slightest signs of an unpleasant smell (rot, mildew, etc.) are a reason to refuse to buy.
- Raise the pot and look inside it through the drainage holes.. Healthy roots are not dark brown or black. A bad sign is also an abundance of roots protruding from the holes in the pot, which means that the flower is too crowded, besides, with the transshipment of such a plant, problems will inevitably arise.
- Too much gloss on the leaves is often the result of the seller’s unscrupulous tricks.: the plant is rubbed with various polishes and wax. Such substances clog the pores in the leaf plate, which, in turn, blocks the normal metabolic processes. If the procedure was carried out quite recently, there is no big problem in this, simply by acquiring such a ficus, each leaf should be thoroughly wiped with a damp cloth dipped in warm water. But is it worth buying a product from a seller who allows such treatment with a plant - let everyone decide for himself.
In case the acquired ficus still has hidden diseases that were not detected during the initial examination, do not rush to immediately place it nearby with other ornamental plants. Arrange for a new "tenant" a two-week quarantine, during which time all possible problems will surely manifest themselves.
Another tip: it is always better to buy a small, not an adult plant..
Of course, it will take a long time until it acquires the desired size, and the formation of the crown is a delicate matter, but young figs are much easier to tolerate moving and changing the situation, while a luxurious and lush tree is more likely to start dropping foliage, drying out and losing all its beauty.
It will take several months until it gets used to the new environment.