Popcorn is loved by adults and children alike. Who did not walk in the park, or did not sit in the cinema with a big bucket of popcorn?
But, unfortunately, manufacturers often sin with harmful additives, and nutritionists recommend preparing this delicacy exclusively from homemade corn at home.
1 General information about the history
The origins of popcorn cooking originate from North American Indians. They were the first to discover that some maize (wild corn) varieties start to burst when heated.
Different types of corn for popcorn
Indians cooked popcorn in two ways. First: whole cobs were put in boiling oil over a campfire. Second, they separated the grains and laid them in small baskets, then hung them over the hearth and shook them periodically. And already in 1519, navigator Hernan Cortes opened this dish to Europeans.
to menu ↑
1.1 Which corn is suitable for popcorn?
Not every variety is suitable for the preparation of this delicacy. Corn seeds, suitable for making popcorn, have a drop of water with starch inside. Under the influence of high temperature (in the microwave or in a pan), the water heats up and turns into steam, which becomes closely inside the grain. The pressure for the walls of the grain becomes unbearable and the steam breaks it from the inside.
Interesting fact: the grains that are suitable for popcorn, contain 21% more fat and protein than the grain of the usual cereal. In composition, this grass is similar to wheat.
The wall that is suitable for popcorn corn is thinner. They look shiny, lacquered. The percentage of starch in them is much lower than normal.
to menu ↑
1.2 Top Popcorn Varieties
Among the large variety of types of corn can be identified several of the most proven and popular:
popcorn corn "Volcano
- "Volcano". Grows up to 200 cm, the length of the cob is about 20 cm. The grains are light, oblong. One of the most disease-resistant varieties.
- "Eat-Eat". Medium early variety. Relatively low stem, about one and a half meters. Grains are orange and wide.
- "Zeya." One of the most spectacular varieties of corn. It has grains of rich burgundy color. Early variety. Stem up to 180 cm. Cob length about 20-25 cm.
- "Ping pong". A tall plant, grows up to 220 cm. Forms a large number of small (120-150 mm) cobs with grains of oblong shape.
- "Hotel". Drought resistant variety that tolerates heat well. High stems reach 230 cm. Heads of large, up to 25 cm.
- "Vnuchkina joy". Very productive, early ripe grade which, however, demands frequent watering. Resistant to diseases. It grows low (150 cm) and has small heads of cabbage (12-15 cm).
- "Red". Very beautiful variety with cobs of deep red color. It grows up to 150 cm with small heads of cabbage. Very popular and decorative.
When choosing a variety of popcorn maize, take into account your location, climate, growing conditions! Create a plant the most correct conditions for growth, and it will surely please the harvest.
to menu ↑
1.3 Growing corn for popcorn
Cultivation of this cereal is no different from the cultivation of ordinary corn. It should be remembered that the rhizome develops extremely slowly, does not like sandy soils, and the plant itself is oppressed by grass.
It is desirable to plant corn on popcorn not earlier than May, since The plant is very thermophilic. Approximate planting pattern: 50 × 50 cm, 40 × 60 cm, 30 × 70 cm. One or two seeds are placed in the prepared hole.
It is better to plant this grass on the place where the nightshade grew before.
Important: make sure there is no sugar plantation near popcorn corn - avoid pollination!
When growing corn for popcorn, you need to highlight a few of the most important factors:
- Harrowing the ridges before planting.
- Inter-row cultivation (about three times during the growing season).
- Regular watering (at least once a week).
- Mineral feeding through the root system.
2 Popcorn technology
Popcorn is usually sold as a semi-finished product with various flavors and sweeteners. The manufacturer carefully packs it in bags and you only need to put it in a microwave or oven.
But, having home grown corn bursting with your own hands, you can not depend on the tastes of the manufacturer, but experiment on your own!
Cooking popcorn in the microwave:
- Pour oil into prepared dishes.
- Put the grain and mix.
- Smoothed over the bottom of the dish.
- Cover and put in the microwave for 3-4 minutes.
Stages of cooking popcorn
Cooking on the stove:
- Pour oil into a container with a tight lid, heat it up.
- Pour the grains in one layer and mix.
- Close the lid.
- When the grain starts to burst, remove from the fire and leave to reveal everything.
To create a stunning taste, add 2-3 pinches of sea salt, powdered sugar, vanilla, pepper, caramel to the hot delicacy.
Important: before cooking, cool the grains for 20 minutes in the freezer. So they will open better.
What is useful popcorn?
Crispy delicacy not only pleases with its pleasant taste. It brings great benefits to the body.
- Cornmeal contains vitamins from group B. They improve the emotional state. If you suffer from poor sleep, depression, then these components will improve your well-being.
- Ketchatka helps to improve the work of the intestines, relieves constipation, improves digestion of food.
- Retinol, tocopherol - antioxidants that improve the condition of nails, hair and skin.
- Sweet corn contains elements that clean the blood vessels of atherosclerotic plaques.
- Corn is able to dilate blood vessels, which, in turn, contributes to increased blood circulation in the body.
- You can not be afraid to use popcorn for diabetes (if it does not contain sugar).
- Even a small portion of popcorn contains many antioxidants, which contributes to the release of free radicals from the body, which destroy cells.
- Polyphenols contained in corn fight diseases at the cellular level.
How to make at home?
Most often, popcorn is cooked in a pan with butter. The main thing - to choose the right grade.
In principle, you can use ordinary corn, but the result is unlikely to please you. The delicacy is prepared for the sake of air grains, which will not work if you use the "wrong" kind of culture.
The cooking process itself is fairly simple.
- Let the grain be in the fridge for a while — it promotes their foaming.
- It is necessary to heat the pan and set it on the stand.
- Remove the frozen grains and place them in the pan. Do not forget that they will increase, so do not "overdo it" with layers.
- Pour the product with vegetable oil (1-2 tablespoons) and mix. It is important to dip every grain into the oil.
- Cover the pan with a lid. Several times it will need to be removed from the stove, shaken, and then returned to the fire.
- If you hear the claps, do not be alarmed. This reveals the grains of corn. Open the lid is not necessary.
- When the pops are reduced, stir the contents of the pan. After that, leave it on the stove for a few more seconds, and then turn off the fire.
- The last stage involves sprinkling popcorn with icing powder or salt (depending on which you prefer).
In order for the corn to absorb salt or powder, it must be left for some time under the lid.
Cooking in a multivariate
- corn - 1 handful,
- salt (fine) - to taste,
- coconut oil - 1 tablespoon,
- vegetable oil.
The recipe includes several sequential steps.
- Pour a small amount of vegetable and coconut oil into the multicooker.
- Spread the corn grains and cover the multicooker with a lid.
- Activate the mode "baking" or "frying". Cooking time is set at your discretion. It depends on how many grains you use.
- When disclosing grains, you will hear a crash. When this crash stops - there is nothing more to wait. Popcorn is ready. Turn off the multicooker, as you do not need refried grains.
- Put the corn in a free bowl. Perfect plastic container.
- Your next task is to give popcorn a delicious taste. Since the recipe uses salt, add it. If you are cooking sweet popcorn - just replace the salt with sugar. Sweet popcorn is prepared according to the same rules as salted.
- Mix the popcorn in a bowl and wait a few minutes for the salt to absorb. After that you can call your relatives or friends, conveniently located in front of the TV screen.
The recipe is as simple as possible.
- In any container (container) are mixed corn and oil.
- Microwave the mixture, cover with a lid.
- After the crackling of corn, wait a little longer, and then turn off the microwave. The product is ready. All that remains is to fill the popcorn with what you prefer (granulated sugar or salt).
As is clear from the above, the principle of making popcorn does not change depending on how you decide to cook it.
You can cook popcorn without any additional ingredients, but, you see, seasonings give the dish a special flavor and zest. Any seasoning should be added immediately after the popcorn is fried while it is still hot.
So, such additives will be suitable for corn:
- black pepper,
- peanut paste,
- caramel or chocolate.
To prepare you will need:
It is very easy to prepare such popcorn.
- Fry popcorn (how to do this, described above).
- When the popcorn is ready, immediately, while it is hot, add 3 tablespoons of marinade and hot sauce (to taste). Mix well.
- butter - 50 grams,
- sugar - 1 cup,
- soda - a little less than half a teaspoon,
- corn - 2 glasses,
- water - 50 ml.
- Pour the corn into the pan and leave to roast with the lid closed. Shake the pan from time to time.
- When the pops stop, turn off the stove.
- In the pot you need to pour water and pour sugar. Boil until golden brown.
- Add butter.
- After that the soda is added. Stir until foam appears.
- Pour this liquid on the hot popcorn, mix.
- butter - 50 grams,
- cheese - at will,
The recipe is simple.
- Fry the corn grains.
- Pour the ready popcorn with melted butter, then sprinkle it with grated cheese.
Let the dish stand a little. Then you can start eating cheese delicacies.
- butter - 2 tbsp. spoons
- honey - 2 tbsp. spoons
- corn - 60 grams,
- coconut oil - 1 tbsp. spoon,
- salt to taste
- nuts (any) - 60 grams.
Cooking does not give you much trouble.
- While popcorn is fried in a slow cooker, chop nuts, melt butter and honey. Mix everything into a homogeneous mass.
- Pour hot popcorn with the mixture, mix well. The dish is ready.
Popcorn with nuts and chocolate in the oven
- vanilla - ¼ tsp,
- baking soda - ¼ tsp,
- butter - 6 tablespoons,
- corn syrup - 3 tablespoons,
- sugar - ¾ cup,
- chocolate chips - a pack of black,
- chocolate chips - a pack of whites,
- Cashew - ½ cup.
To get an unusual and tasty chocolate delicacy, follow the algorithm described below.
- Mix the sugar, corn syrup and butter, put on the stove.
- Do not rush to turn off when the mixture boils. Let it cook for another 7 minutes.
- When the specified time passes, add vanillin, soda to the mixture. After stirring, pour the composition over the corn.
- Put the corn mixture in the oven.
- After the popcorn is cooked in the oven (this will happen in about 10 minutes), sprinkle it with nuts and chips on top. Stir.
If you decide to cook the dish for the first time (this applies not only to popcorn), take a simple recipe to master the basic skills. Next time you can give free rein to fantasy. In addition, do not forget about the basic recommendations.
- Use the appropriate grade. Choose one of those listed at the beginning of the article. With ordinary corn, you will not be able to achieve the desired lush popcorn.
- Reasonable choice of supplement. If you are not sure whether you like the taste of the original recipe, do not experiment. Use plain sugar powder or fine salt.
- Keep the lid closed. Do not forget that it cannot be opened from the beginning of cooking to the very end. Only when the crack is over can the lid be lifted.
- Shake the contents. Shake the pan periodically with the lid closed. So absolutely all grains will fry.
There are several varieties of corn. Each has its own characteristics, so in this article it is advisable to highlight the main points of each of these subspecies.
- Dental corn has long, flat and large seeds. Used for harvesting seeds, animal feed, silage.
- Siliceous - the most common in different regions of the planet. Possesses a corneous cover of grains, a dullness is present only in the center. Used for the manufacture of cereals, flakes, flour, corn sticks.
- Starch is grown in North and South America. The stalk is of medium length, the cobs ripen late. The grain is always round, loose and smooth. Grown for the manufacture of alcohol, starch.
- Waxy - a type of dent corn, has a two-layer shell. The upper part is powdery, comprising amylopectin mass.
- Filmy corn is the least common since it is not used on the holding. It is characterized by a head of cabbage covered with flat spikelet scales.
There are also sugar, bursting and colored varieties, but they will be discussed below.
Which corn varieties are the best?
The best varieties are the most common hybrids grown in different countries and available for purchase in the form of fresh cobs and seeds. Why hybrids? Because it is they who are distinguished by unpretentiousness in the care, high qualities of the plants and cobs.
The best grades of corn
- "Trophy F1" ripens in 75 days from the date of sowing. For successful cultivation it is important not to thicken the seeds during planting. Stem grows up to 2 meters. Cob average size - 23 cm, weighing up to 220 grams. Sweet grains have a rich yellow color. Can be used fresh and canned.
- Landmark F1 - A hybrid ripening for 73-83 days. Sweet, can be stored for a long time. Heading up to 21 cm, the stem grows to 195 cm. Each has up to 2 ears. Transportable, machine cleaning possible. Resistant to diseases, high-yielding, consumed fresh, preserved.
- "Ekselent" - sugar hybrid of Russian selection. Heads of cabbage are long - up to 30 cm. The main condition for leaving is abundant watering. It requires timely spraying, as it is susceptible to diseases and pests.
- "Voronezh 80-A" - an early ripe grade of sweet corn. Very popular for landing on the territory of Russia. Exported, used for canning, fresh consumption. It has pleasant fruit notes, sugar content - 14%. Productivity is 45-50 c / ha.
Corn "Eat-Eat" - mid-early, high-yielding. The plant is slightly lower in height than other varieties - 130-170 cm. The grains are yellow, wide, elongated. The cobs are cylindrical, about 200-250 g in weight.
"Zeya" - early ripe variety. 80 days after planting, you can harvest. Everyone is similar to other varieties except grains. They are burgundy or dark red, wide, rounded on one side, pointed, on the other.
"Ping pong" - medium early variety. Ready to harvest in about 100-110 days after planting. It has short, up to 15 cm, cobs and small yellow grains.
"Hotel" - early variety, ready to harvest in 80 days. Its feature is high drought resistance, resistance to lodging. It easily tolerates high temperatures, so it can be grown in arid, hot regions. The plant reaches a height of more than 2 m. The cob is about 20 cm long. The grains are yellow, pearly-shaped.
"Vnuchkina joy" - variety, similar to “See”, early ripe. Only he has small cobs, up to 12 cm. Shoots up to 1.5 m, seeds are light orange. Differs in high productivity. Corn of this variety is moisture-loving, does not tolerate drought, grows and produces only crops on soil that is well-fertilized with humus.
Have Red Popcorn A distinctive feature - low shoots, total up to 110-120 cm. It is also an early variety. Differs also with beautiful ears, small, only 5-10 cm, similar to strawberries. Grains mahogany color. Tastes excellent.
Features of growing
To make popcorn at home, you first need to grow corn. Do it on your site, everyone can. Only optimal conditions and, of course, desire are needed.
Corn is grown on any soil, except sandy and especially loose. The plant is high, it must be firmly rooted, and on such soils it is difficult. Выращивание культуры чаще всего производится в степной и лесостепной климатической зоне, потому что все сорта теплолюбивы. Ветра в этой местности сильные. На слабой почве возможно «полегание» растений, что негативно скажется на развитии побега и, следовательно, на урожайности.
One of the first conditions for the successful cultivation of corn for popcorn - landing in a well warmed ground. This means landing in May (although everything depends on the weather).
First, prepare the soil. Let's start with the analysis of the soil and "predecessors".
We have already spoken about the soil. You can add here that the culture does not tolerate casting, so alumina in the lowlands will not work either.
Everyone knows that planting corn in the same place is impossible. It will grow well after tomatoes and potatoes, beets, carrots and other root crops. Landing areas should be such that they fit 4-5 rows. Crop yield, if it is planted in 1 row, falls.
Before planting, nitrogen fertilizers can be applied per day: for every 10 square meters. m. about 150 g. The soil should be loosened to a depth of 10 cm and cultivated. There should be no weeds on it, otherwise the corn will break through for a long time. May even die.
In addition, the seeds for planting need to prepare. First of all, they should be soaked. To do this, they are placed in warm water with the addition of "potassium permanganate" (slightly pinkish) and kept for a day. Grains have time to swell.
Planted directly into the ground (without growing seedlings) with mandatory watering. The square-cluster method of 50 cm by 50 cm is best suited for culture. 3-4 seeds are placed in the hole, watered and powdered with 2-3 cm of soil. Shoots will appear in 10-12 days.
Culture does not require special care. Frequent watering may be necessary only to moisture-loving varieties. In other cases, it will be enough to irrigate once a week at the root.
For high yields required feeding. 3-4 weeks after germination - organic. Before the release of the "sweeper" - nitrophoska. When forming cobs - potash and nitrogen fertilizers.
As already mentioned weeds - the enemy of culture. Weed rows and aisle will have 3-4 times over the summer. Can spoil the crop and pests: Swedish fly, wireworm, corn moth. With them will help cope funds purchased in a specialty store.
Corn is pollinated by the wind. If the weather is windless, then you can shake the stems when pollen appears on the panicles and cob buds in the leaf axils.
Collecting and storing cobs
Only need to collect the cob when they dry well on the stems. Not previously recommended. If the cobs are collected raw and they will not dry out at the “root”, this will affect the detection of the grains. And we after all grow them just to get popcorn.
Tear off the stems need to cob in the "clothes", we will remove it immediately before laying for storage. After harvesting, you need to keep cabbages for another month in a cool and very dry place, then load them into fabric or paper bags. Store the cobs (namely cobs, not grains) also need to be in a cool dry place.
Cooking popcorn. Recipe
Next, consider in detail how we make popcorn at home. It turns out that it is much simpler than boiling ordinary soup or making pizza that is already familiar to us. Moreover, contrary to the assurances of manufacturers of household appliances, we will not need a special machine or a microwave. You need a half-liter iron pot, or a regular frying pan and a gas stove.
Consider two recipes that tell you how to make sweet popcorn at home: "Popcorn with caramel" and "Popcorn with powdered sugar."
Ingredients for popcorn:
- Corn - ¼ cup,
- Sunflower oil (any vegetable can be used) - 3 dessert spoons,
- Sugar - 1 tbsp. l (for the first recipe),
- Caster sugar - 1 tbsp. l (for the second recipe).
Take the iron, pour oil into it and put on medium heat.
Heat oil. Pour the corn into the heated oil. Add sugar. Cover tightly. Be sure to gently hold it.
Soon you will hear the beginning of the process of opening the grains. As soon as the sounds subsided - turn off the fire. After removing it from the fire, it is necessary to quickly pour the delicacy into the container, because the caramel (which is formed from sugar) may catch fire. "Popcorn with powdered sugar"
Here you need to repeat the same manipulations just do not add sugar. Pour the ready popcorn into the prepared container, sprinkle with powdered sugar and mix.
It can be different: pour the corn into the bag, put the powder in it, squeeze it with your hand, leave the air in the bag, and mix it vigorously.
To complete the process, we will need to wash the oil-spattered stove. But the pot does not have to be washed after each preparation. If there is no burning inside, you can leave it until next time.
Excellent taste, valuable nutrients, low calorie content (for those on a diet) are not all the advantages of popcorn. After all, besides sweet popcorn can be cooked salty, spicy, spicy.
Grow, cook and enjoy the delicacy.
What kind of corn is the sweetest?
Sugar varieties of corn, they are sweet, as a rule, are distinguished by an early ripening period, have large, dense heads, tender grains. It is believed that the younger the cob, the sweeter it will be. When dried, the grains of these varieties shrivel.
The Sweetest Corn Varieties
- "Dobrynya" has large heads, very sweet. The plant grows up to 170 cm in height, an early ripe variety - 70 days from the emergence of shoots. The grade is unpretentious to the place of landing, the soil, leaving. Resistant to rust, mosaic and wilt.
- "Gourmand" - high-yielding variety. It has increased immunity to the most common diseases, early ripe (75 days from germination). Used for fresh consumption, canning.
- "Early Gold 401" - a low, mid-season look. Heads grow to 19 cm, are used, usually, while still very young - milk, later they lose their delicious taste. Resistant to most fungal and bacterial diseases.
And all your attempts to lose weight did not succeed? And have you already thought about radical measures? It is understandable, because a slim figure is an indicator of health and a reason for pride. In addition, it is at least human longevity. And the fact that a person losing “extra pounds” looks younger is an axiom that does not require proof. Therefore, we recommend reading the story of a woman who was able to lose weight quickly, efficiently and without expensive procedures. Read the article >>
Corn on popcorn: the best varieties
Grains of corn for popcorn have a number of features: they contain little starch, but the content of fats and proteins is much higher than that of sweet corn. Another secret of corn for popcorn - a thin, but durable, like a lacquered shell. It is thanks to her that the grain does not crack when heated as it happens with ordinary corn. In bursting varieties, the moisture inside the grains expands, the steam is distributed evenly over the grain, and at the time of bursting the moisture fluffs the pulp. If the corn on the popcorn was grown and stored correctly, the unopened kernels will be only 1-2%.
Let's look at the most popular popcorn corn varieties.
Popcorn Corn: Ping Pong
Mid-season variety of popcorn maize with a ripening period of 95-110 days. Corn cobs of Ping-pong variety are small - 12-15 cm, but the plant itself is high - 1.8-2 m. The kernels are rather small, yellow.
Corn for popcorn: grade "Red Popcorn"
Differs in low plants about 1.2 m in height, cob 15 cm long with very beautiful mahogany-colored kernels. A very popular variety due to its excellent taste and decorative qualities (the cobs are used in flower arrangements).
There is still a lot of varieties of corn for popcorn - choose those that will be suitable for your climatic zone (it should be especially responsible when choosing the inhabitants of the northern regions, since bursting corn is a heat-loving plant).
Popcorn Corn Pop
When planting corn on popcorn, keep in mind that this crop and its root system grow rather slowly, it is strongly inhibited by weeds, and does not like sandy and light soils.
Planting corn on popcorn does not begin until May, since during the period from germination to flowering, this plant needs warmth, and in the period from flowering to maturity, corn needs much less. Popcorn crops are planted in rows according to the pattern of 50x50 cm, 40x60 cm or 30x70 cm - as recommended by the manufacturer. In the well put 1 or 2 grains.
Corn for popcorn is best planted in the beds, where they grew up potatoes, tomatoes and early crops. Avoid planting sugarcorn in the immediate vicinity to prevent “unnecessary” pollination.
Corn on popcorn: care for plantings
Growing corn for popcorn will be successful if both harrowing and inter-row cultivation are carried out - about three times during the growing season. Popcorn more fastidious to the content of air, moisture in the soil, besides - cultivation helps to get rid of weeds that take a lot of vitality from this type of corn.
Popcorn corn needs regular watering - about twice a week. If you have the opportunity to organize drip irrigation, you can add mineral dressings to the water.
Very important popcorn feed for corn - This is due to the peculiarities of the development of its root system (rather weak). Therefore, the soil must contain a lot of nutrients. Corn popcorn responds well to organic fertilizer and mineral fertilizer.
So, in the phase of 5-6 leaves, liquid urea or organic is used for feeding of bursting corn, before throwing out panicles, that is, in the middle of the growing season - nitrophoska or azofoska. Potash and nitrogen fertilizers contribute to the formation of cobs.
The flowering of bursting corn is accompanied by the ejection of panicles (male inflorescences), and after a couple of days cobs begin to appear in the axils of the leaves (female inflorescences). Since the corn is pollinated by the wind, in calm weather it is necessary to slightly walk the plants to ensure pollination.
Corn for popcorn: collecting and storing cobs
If you break the corn bursting varieties in the stage of milk maturity, it is quite possible to eat it like sweet corn - cook and eat. However, to cook popcorn from corn, torn so early, will not succeed.
BUT corn is harvested for popcorn almost at the seed stagewhen the seeds are “dressed” in a vitreous shell (depending on the time of planting - the end of summer - the middle of autumn). The grains on the cob should be dry (humidity - 15-20%), it is best to store the corn right on the cob. To ensure uniform drying of the grains, you need to wait until the grains dry out on the vine. That is, it is not necessary to collect corn cobs for popcorn damp and to dry it completely - such raw materials will explode badly. Dry cabbages break out, dried for about a month in a cool dark place (attic, on the cupboard) and put in rags or paper bags.
True, there is a danger and dry grain - such popcorn corn will be bad to burst in a frying pan. Then a bag of cobs placed ten days in a wetter place - the cellar or balcony.
How to make popcorn from corn?
At the end of this article we present a classic, simple recipe for making popcorn from corn.
First we take a deep frying pan (it will just come out of shallow popcorn), pour about 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil, pour corn on the popcorn so much that it covers the bottom. It is possible less, but not more. Now quickly cover the pan with a lid and wait until the "corn gap" is over. After the pops from the pan have stopped reaching - after about a minute - remove the lid, add salt, or sugar, or any other spices. Corn popcorn is ready!
So do not be afraid to experiment - popcorn corn is a common garden plant, with its own needs and demands. But you can provide all your family and relatives with cheap, nutritious and suitable for long storage in the form of "semi-finished" tastings (popcorn corn can be stored for 3-4 years without losing explosive properties).
Tatyana Kuzmenko, member of the editorial board Sobkor of the Internet publication "AtmAgro. Agroindustrial Gazette"
How useful was the information for you?