- white cabbage - 5 kg,
- carrot - 400 g,
- cranberries - 100 g,
- salt - 130 g,
- sugar - 30 g
In the washed heads of cabbage we remove the top leaflets. Next, each head cut in half lengthwise. Thinly shred cabbage, carrot skip through terochki. Combine vegetables together, add sugar and salt, and then carefully grind to highlight the juice. Add the washed berries of cranberries and mix. Place the mass in a clean enameled container, cover with a plate and place a weight on it. We leave it for 3 days, during which the cabbage needs to be pierced several times in different places to the bottom with a wooden stick so that the resulting gases can escape. After that, sauerkraut with cranberries for the winter is placed in jars and put in the cold.
Sauerkraut with cranberries and apples for the winter - a recipe
- white cabbage - 1.3 kg,
- apples - 100 g,
- carrot - 100 g,
- cranberries - to taste,
- salt - 30 g
We wash the cabbage. The upper leaves are removed. Shred cabbage thin straws. Skip peeled carrots and apples through a grater with large teeth. Put the prepared ingredients in a large bowl, sprinkle with salt, mix well. We spread in the enameled pan half of the prepared mass, then place the cranberries, then put the cabbage again. We cover it with a plate and put the oppression on top. We give to stand about a day in the room. The resulting foam is collected with a spoon or a slotted spoon. And in order to eliminate gasses, we pierce cabbage in several places with a wooden stick. After about 3-4 days, lay the cabbage with cranberries and apples in glass jars and store them in the cellar, on the balcony or in the refrigerator.
Sauerkraut with Instant Cranberries for Winter
- white cabbage - 1.2 kg,
- Vinegar 9% - 10 tbsp. spoons
- coarse salt - 30 g,
- granulated sugar - 90 g,
- cranberries - 70 g,
- vegetable oil - 100 ml,
- water - 550 ml
- carrots - 3 pcs.
Thin cabbage is thin, carrots are passed through a regular large grater or through a grater for Korean carrots. Combine vegetables, add cranberries and mix. Bring water to a boil, add sugar, salt, oil and vinegar to it. As soon as the liquid boils again, turn off the fire and pour it over the cabbage. Top cover with a plate, put on it a jar of water as cargo. We leave it at least for 4-5 hours, and better for a day. After that, the most delicious sauerkraut will be ready for use. And for storage we put it in clean jars and send it in a refrigerator or cellar.
Ingredients for sauerkraut
We will do the harvesting in brine. Therefore, you can add spices and spices that are not included in the composition. Do not be afraid to experiment.
Make a few cans with different ingredients, and in the coming year prepare according to the recipe that you like best.
We will need the following products:
- 2 kg of white cabbage,
- 2 medium sized carrots
- Peas black and allspice,
- Bay leaf,
For brine to 1 liter of water:
- 2 tbsp table salt,
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar.
If you make sauerkraut in your own juice, before putting it into the jar, you will need to wait one day for it to have time to put the juice in.
If you will procure a snack in a larger volume, then increase the number of ingredients in a proportional ratio.
Video recipe for sauerkraut
You can watch the video with the instructions for preparing the blank in another way. In this case, the brine is not required. Therefore, the process is slightly different. The video describes in detail all the steps of fermentation. If you do everything right, then you get a tasty snack.
To achieve a truly crispy sauerkraut, it is recommended to try the recipe with the addition of cumin. Very fragrant and tasty snack like not only adults but also children.
- cabbage - 6 kg,
- carrots - 1 kg,
- salt - 2 tbsp. lt
- sugar - 2 tbsp. lt
- cumin - 2 tbsp. l
- Remove the first 2-3 leaves of cabbage, set aside.
- Chop the cabbage into strips, fold into a spacious container.
- Mix by adding salt, sugar and cumin.
- Mash your hands until the selection of cabbage juice.
- Fold in a clean container, well tamping, before the formation of juice.
- The leaves, which were deferred at the beginning of the process, pour boiling water over them, then cover them with cans.
- Put it in 2 days.
- Every day, pierce the contents of the jar with wooden sticks to get out the extra gas. In the case of foam formation - remove it. After a while, remove the fermented snack in the refrigerator and then store at a temperature of 2 to 5 °.
Terms and conditions of storage
Sauerkraut is well kept in the refrigerator. Shelf life from 4 weeks to 2-3 months. It all depends on the chosen recipe and technology of fermentation. It is best to focus on your own taste. To increase the shelf life of the salad, you can preserve or pasteurize it. But in this case, the vegetables will lose all the vitamins and trace elements.
The recipe for sauerkraut with cranberries is a great solution for those who love a variety of pickles. Cooking cabbage on one of the selected recipes, you can feast on the whole winter snack. In the preparation is absolutely simple and not expensive. And the content of a huge amount of vitamins and microelements allows you to increase immunity and keep your body in good shape.
- Cabbage 5 Kilogram
- Carrots 1.5-2 Kilogram
- Salt 6 Art. spoons
- Sugar 6 Art. spoons
- Cranberries 300-400 Grams
1. Clean the carrots washed in advance.
2. Grate it on a medium or small grater.
3. From the cabbage, remove the top leaves. Do not throw them away, rinse under running water and leave to dry. Chop and place the cabbage in a large bowl.
4. In parallel, wash and fold the berry into a colander so that excess liquid is removed. For this simple recipe for sauerkraut with cranberries, you can use as many berries as you think is more appropriate.
5. Prepare coarse salt.
6. And the same amount of sugar. You can also add allspice.
7. Combine cabbage, carrots, sugar and salt. Mix well until smooth.
8. Mash your hands so that the juice appears.
9. Prepare a container or keg. Place dried leaves on the bottom. Then - part of the cabbage, evenly distribute the berries.
10. Repeat layers until the ingredients are finished. From above, you can also lay out the leaves, so that the sauerkraut with cranberries at home will not be weathered. Leave it for at least 7 days.
11. I hope that this option, how to cook sauerkraut with cranberries, you have to taste. Enjoy your meal!
What kind of cabbage is better to take
The experienced hostess easily chooses the one that is more suitable for sourdough or pickling from the many varieties of white cabbage. Mostly late-ripening fruits are used for these purposes.
They are not in a hurry to clean the beds, waiting for the heads of cabbages to become juicy and sugary. In addition, it is not recommended to keep specimens selected for leaven for more than 3 months.
The fact is that late cabbage leads among other varieties in the number of components of natural sugars. Namely, these substances contribute to the formation of lactic acid, due to which fermentation occurs.
Heads must be whole and dense. It is important to remove the green leaves from them, to the white cabbage head. If this is not done, the leaven may differ in the unpleasant, specific taste and odor that green foliage possesses. Throwing away such "waste" is not necessary. Many of their hostesses kvasyat separately.
Depending on how you used to chop a vegetable, and in which containers you prefer to make a bookmark, you need to prepare the necessary inventory.
In this case, useful:
- wooden cutting board
- shredder or kitchen knife
- plastic food buckets with lids,
- big plastic basin (for food purposes),
- wooden pointy stick
- sterile rubber work gloves.
The classic version of sauerkraut involves adding grated carrots, constituting about 10 percent of the whole cabbage. But each housewife herself chooses what she wants to diversify her workpiece. Some are limited to apples and plums, others - cranberries or lingonberries, and others - ginger and garlic.
Our recipe consists of the following components:
- chopped cabbage - 5 kg,
- grated carrot - 200 g,
- salt - 130 g,
- fresh cranberries - 100 g
If desired, seeds of cumin, anise, coriander or jira can be added to taste variety. Some spicy food lovers also use red pepper.
Step by Step Cooking Process
The starter process will not take much time. After you have prepared all the necessary products and tools, you can start cooking:
- First, clean the cabbage heads from the green leaves and rinse in running water, laying out on a towel to dry.
- Peel the carrots, wash and grate the required amount.
- Wash the cranberries and let dry.
- Chop cabbage heads in a convenient way. Put the ground mass in a bowl.
- Grind the cabbage with salt until the juice appears. Vegetable should be soft and tender.
- Add carrots.
- Pour cranberries and mix well. In the tank should be allocated a lot of juice.
- Put the bottom of the plastic bucket with clean, whole cabbage leaves and pour the whole mass from the bowl along with the juice.
- Cover the cabbage with a layer of clean cabbage leaves on top, put the bowl upside down and some kind of oppression (any heavy object can play its role). If you wish, you can use a gauze napkin, but do not forget to wash it periodically. The tank should be in a warm place.
- In the future, monitor the state of the workpiece and, to the extent necessary, remove the foam that appears on the surface. This is a clear sign of the beginning of the fermentation process.
- The first 2 days to 5 times in several places pierce the cabbage, releasing gases. Otherwise, the harvesting will leak through the unpleasant smell and will be unsuitable for consumption. This should be done with a wooden stick with a pointed end. It is important that the instrument is clean (the procedure is repeated until gassing occurs).
- 5 days after laying the bedrock can be removed and brownish cabbage removed from the surface. If desired, the workpiece can be shifted to the banks, tightly rammed.
Video: Cooking sauerkraut with cranberries
What to apply to the table
Many like the versatility and simplicity of sauerkraut. It is suitable as a starter for first and second courses, as well as an ingredient for the preparation of new culinary masterpieces. This component is necessary for solyanka, cabbage, borscht, pancakes, pastries, vinaigrette, kulebyaka, dumplings and various quenching.
In winter, housewives often use this billet as a salad base. And add to them both vegetables, and meat, fish. Traditionally, sourdough combined with mashed potatoes. But if you go beyond the canons, it is very good to have sauerkraut stew, steamed vegetables and cereals.
Some cooks bake sauerkraut, fry or boil. But nutritionists strongly recommend consuming the product in its raw form, since it preserves its nutrients to the maximum.
Where and how much can be stored
During fermentation, the product should be at a temperature of 18. 20 degrees Celsius. And after five days, when the foam stops forming on the surface and the brine becomes transparent, it can be transferred to the cold with an optimal mode of 0. +5 degrees Celsius.
This starter can be cooked in large portions, since if the necessary conditions are met, it will be stored for a long time without being damaged or moldy. The best storage for such blanks is the cellar, because there is an appropriate temperature and humidity regimes.
In addition, cabbage is not exposed to sunlight. In apartment conditions, the ideal place to store would be a refrigerator or a balcony (in the latter case, it is important to take into account weather conditions). For better storage of snacks, experienced housewives advise you to fill containers with cabbage mass so that the brine covers it - this will extend the shelf life. Indeed, ascorbic acid evaporates very quickly from the crushed mass in a bare form.
Sometimes young housewives do not know what is best to cook the dish. Of course, three-liter jars are ideal for storage. And for preparation it is better to take wide tanks.
They can be enameled, plastic, metal, glass. The main thing is to properly comply with all storage conditions of products. Do not forget to periodically visit the cabbage and check it for mold (this happens only when gross violations of the technology of cooking and improper storage).
Note that adding cranberries to sauerkraut is one way to prevent mold.
These also include:
- adding lingonberries,
- occasional powdering of the surface with sugar,
- powdered mustard powder,
- adding horseradish,
- adding to the pickle sack with mustard seeds.
Categorically it is impossible to allow your billet to be frozen. In ideal conditions, it will stand for half a year. Although it is doubtful, sauerkraut is so tasty that in a month nothing will be left from it.
If you ferment cabbage according to the above recipe, then you can be sure that you will have a very tasty billet in stock. Minor adjustments of the above servings of ingredients are allowed, depending on your gastronomic preferences. See for yourself: it is cooked quickly, simply, but it turns out tasty
What do we need?
We need the following ingredients:
- average cabbage (about 3-4 kilograms),
- 2-3 small carrots (100-150 grams),
- 2 teaspoons of dill seeds (about 10 grams),
- black pepper to taste
- 2-3 pieces of bay leaves,
- 1 tablespoon of sugar,
- 100 grams of salt
- Of course, the main ingredient is cranberries! She, like carrots in the amount of 100-150 grams.
What and what we cook
For cooking use:
- Enameled deep dishes - a wide saucepan of 5-6 liters, or a basin,
- shredder, or a wide sharp knife. You can food processor with the appropriate nozzle, but cutting will not have enough beautiful and neat look!
- large grater, for rubbing straws.
How to cook?
For the starter, we need to take:
- cleared from the outer leaves of cabbage, divided into four parts. Remove the stalk and carefully cut (shred) straws,
- peeled and washed carrots are grated,
- the cranberries are sorted, washed and dried,
- We mix carrots and cabbage in capacity. Some housewives do it right on a clean kitchen table,
- add and mix. Grinding (kneading) cabbage and carrots with your hands can be one of the subtleties of cooking at this stage. This technique allows the vegetables to produce juice - the process of pickling begins faster, and the cabbage is very delicate in taste,
- pour the mass with dill seeds and pepper, add bay leaf,
- stir once more
- in a clean jar we put a whole cabbage leaf on the bottom - clean and dry,
- we lay out there a little ready mix, we press a layer a pestle,
- from above we fill half of berries of a cranberry,
- sprinkle with a layer of cabbage. Lightly press the pestle, without damaging the berries,
- another layer of cabbage and a layer of berries
- The latter must be cabbage.
The second option, with apples and currants
The main ingredients, as in the first recipe. But we exclude: dill seeds, bay leaf, black pepper and sugar. Salt use in smaller quantities - one or two pinches!
- cabbage one or two kilograms,
- 2-3 small carrots (100-150 grams),
- cranberries, like carrots in the amount of 100-150 grams.
Add to the recipe apples (2-3 pieces) and red currants (2-3 tablespoons). Cooking remains the same, only currants and cranberries are pre-mixed. If we also use apples, we wash them and cut them into quarters. Then grind straw.
In a jar, layers of cabbage are alternated with layers of berries and apples:
- the first layer is cabbage,
- the second layer is currant and cranberry,
- the third layer is cabbage,
- the fourth layer is apples,
- the fifth layer is cabbage,
- the sixth layer - berries of currant and cranberry.
Everything on top, at the very end, cover with a layer of cabbage. Lightly tamping!
- The tamped mass should be covered with a leaf of cabbage and put on top of the oppression - for example, a container with water.
- Keep the jar in a container - a basin, or a saucepan. Excess juice flows through the top!
- Keeps in the room for up to three days, until foam appears - a sign of the fermentation process.
- The oppression and cabbage leaves are removed, and the cabbage with cranberries is pierced with a wooden rolling pin, or with a spoon (it is possible with Chinese chopsticks) - in several places all the way to the bottom. Grandmothers assure that in this way we “release bitterness.”
- After a puncture, the cabbage is settled openly and without oppression for another day!
- Then drained juice is added to it (the one that poured over the edge of the can into the substituted capacity), the can is closed and taken out for storage in the cold. Can be stored in the refrigerator.
Для не желающих ждать окончания закваски целых три дня, есть специальный рецепт.
- капусты (приблизительно 1 килограмм),
- 2-3 небольших морковки (100-150 грамм),
- 100 грамм сахара,
- столовую ложку соли,
- 10 tablespoons 9% table vinegar,
- 100 - 125 grams of sunflower (or any vegetable) oil,
- three, four cloves of garlic (you can have a small head)
- cranberries to taste
- water half a liter.
- Chopped cabbage with grated carrots and washed cranberries mixed with three or four cloves of garlic (passed through a garlic press).
- cabbage does not warm up and does not rub hands
- shred without stalk.
Some more quick cabbage recipes can be found here.
Interesting folk omens
Cabbage will taste better if you cook it:
- in the phase of the advancing moon,
- on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday - that is, men's days,
- with nice mood.
In order for the cabbage to turn out to be at 100, you need to correctly harvest the crop and correctly determine its storage. Remember that frozen and frozen cabbage is not suitable for pickling.
Sauerkraut can be eaten as a separate dish. Before it, add chopped onions, or green onions to the meal. Some vegetable oil (to taste and desire). Sauerkraut - the favorite snack of our men!
It is included in the recipes for soup, or salads. It can be stewed with meat. Stuff her duck, or goose. Use for pepper filling.
Honored "Queen of the Russian table" is present in almost every holiday menu. In short, the product is versatile and useful. For conservatives, there is a classic recipe for making sauerkraut, as well as a cabbage recipe with a crunch.
The successful combination of unique cranberry and cabbage in our plate, the owner of a number of substances necessary for a person, makes food rich in vitamins and trace elements. And this is very important in the winter-spring period, when our body suffers from a lack of sun, fresh vegetables and fruits!