Climbing rose Gloria Dei (Gloria Dei) is considered the most famous of all known hybrid tea varieties, awarded the title "Rose of the Century." This is an irremovable favorite of gardens, country and city flower gardens, squares, parks. Translated from Latin into Russian the name sounds like "Glory of the Lord."
Climbing rose Gloria Day, the photo and description of which will be given below, is not only remarkable for its amazing beauty, but is also a symbol of the peace and harmony of the twentieth century.
Bred Gloria Dei in 1935 by French breeder Francis Mayan, naming it after its deceased mother “Madame A. Meilland”. Having spread after 1945 throughout Europe, the new variety has received various names:
- in Italy - Gioia (joy),
- in Germany - Gloria Dei,
- in England and the USA - Peace (peace),
- in France - Madame Meiyan,
- in the USSR - Gloria Day.
Now the most popular hybrid tea variety in the world is spread over all countries: “French beauty” is loved by gardeners in many cities and villages. A brief description of a climbing plant consists of the following characteristics:
- bush perennial, strong-growing, reaches a height of 1.5-2 m,
- the foliage is thick, dark green saturated color,
- flowers are double, large, reach a diameter of 15 cm,
- stems in the amount of 5-7 pieces covered with sharp spikes,
- the bud after complete dissolution is pale yellow, with a pinkish-raspberry border, then gradually becomes creamy, turns into a pastel ombre,
- the flower has from 26 to 43 petals,
- delicate aroma, changeable, from subtle honey to sweet fruit, depends on growing conditions and time of year,
- bloom - from early June to early July.
Shrubs are practically not affected by diseases and pests, the petals do not crumble for a long time. Variety resistant to frost.
Hybrid tea rose Gloria Dei was bred during breeding work when crossing several French and American varieties:
- Georg Dickson
- Charles Kilham
- Claudia Pernet,
- Margaret Mac Grady,
- Joanna Hill
- F. Meilland.
On the basis of the reference variety Gloria Day, breeders bred about 390 new roses. The following varieties became descendants of this tea hybrid:
- Princess of Monaco
- Gold Crown,
- Fiery world
- Garden party,
- Talking sun and others.
The tea hybrid of Gloria Day in climbing form is not a separate variety, but a plant kidney mutation. It is sold in nurseries labeled "Cl." Or "Climbing." In Russia, this climbing subspecies is known under the trademarks Gioia Climbing, Peace Climbing.
The main characteristics of the rose Gloria Dei Climbing:
- bush is strong, beautiful
- flowers are suitable for cutting,
- plant re-flowering, not winter-hardy,
- immunity to fungal infections,
- flowers - large, goblet hybrid tea-form,
- the color of the buds is yellow-cream, with a pinkish border,
- the number of flowers on the stem is one.
It is important to know. The breeding of climbing roses Gloria Dei Climbing is not an easy task, unbearable for beginners-growers. It is better to purchase seedlings in a proven nursery, since in the absence of vaccination the parent qualities of the plant will be irretrievably lost.
Site selection and conditions of detention
It is possible to get beautiful and floriferous bushes of the Gloria Dei Climbing tea and hybrid rose only by observing the agrotechnology when planting and growing this ornamental plant. It should choose the right place for the bush, take into account the moisture and nutrient composition of the soil, the shaded area.
- Lighting and location. Variety Gloria Day is one of the light-loving, longer and more abundant blooms in open sunny areas. However, in hot seasons, the yellowish-cream color of the petals can fade in the sun, dim, and pink, on the contrary, become crimson. If desired, it is allowed to plant a bush in a shaded flower garden. A place to grow should be protected from strong gusts of wind, slanting rain and drafts.
- Temperature. The purchased rosebush in spring is planted in a permanent place in early May, when the soil completely departs from winter and warms up in the sun. In harsh winters, you should cover the lash with cloth, coniferous branches, sprinkle with earth or sawdust, throw it with snow so that the plant does not die from frost when the temperature drops below -15 degrees Celsius.
- Air and humidity. The plant likes frequent spraying of leaves from a spray or a hose, however water should not be cold. Drafts are undesirable, as is the piercing wind at any time of the year, especially in winter. During prolonged rains, unblown buds may rot. Also, water stagnation should not be allowed when irrigating on the soil surface
- Priming. The soil for growing climbing roses should be drained, slightly acid, quite loose. The plant will not grow on clay. Before planting, it is necessary to fertilize the soil with organic matter, adding humus, rotted manure or peat. Do not interfere, and powder soil fertilizer in the form of granules before digging. It should also be added to the landing pit a little sand, peat, poured to the bottom of the drainage - expanded clay, pebbles, fine gravel.
Planted bushes in pots or containers in the garden in early May, from about 1 to 10 numbers. Before being placed in the wells, the saplings are saturated with moisture, placed in containers with water and stimulants for several hours. In a dug and fertilized bed, pits are dug at a distance of 40-50 cm and a depth of about 30 cm. Seedlings are placed in the pits, pre-dipping the roots in a clay mash. To make it simple - 2 parts of clay, 1 part of water and 1 part of manure are mixed in a basin or bucket. Then the holes are covered with earth, tamped.
Subsequent maintenance in the open field includes the execution of several periodic actions:
- Watering. Produced as the drying of the soil is warm, heated in the sun with water, from a watering can or bucket. It is advisable to defend it to reduce the rigidity. In hot weather, the bushes are sprayed. It is better to water the landing in the evenings, after sunset. In this case, the roots will not be scorched under the hot rays of the sun, they will absorb more moisture from the earth.
- Mulching. Immediately after planting, the ground is mulched with rotted manure, peat, or pine bark for less drying of the soil and weed control. During the summer, the procedure is repeated a couple of times, not forgetting, after weeding, to loosen the soil well. Experienced rosewood growers recommend podkuchivat stems in early spring and autumn to a height of about 10 cm, protecting the lower buds from low temperatures during cold snap.
- Protection against pests and diseases. Although climbing rose Gloria Day is not susceptible to the defeat of various insects and diseases, it is better to carry out a number of preventive measures. To protect against pests around the bushes planted a few undersized marigolds. These fragrant flowers secrete special enzymes that repel aphids, ticks. Also in the late spring, foliar and stems are treated with mildew with special fungicides.
- Feeding. Climbing Rose Gloria Day is responsive to organic and mineral fertilizers. The best option for growing in the garden - watering slurry from cow dung or urea in spring. In early and mid-summer potash-phosphate formulations containing potassium sulfate and superphosphate should be added.
- Crop. When growing the Gloria Day variety, it is advisable to trim the lashes both in early spring after lifting the shelter and in the autumn period. In the spring, branches are pruned immediately after removing the bags, fabric, and spruce branches from the bushes. In young plants, 2-3 buds are left, in adults - 6-7. In autumn, the procedure is carried out at the end of October, removing the wilted leaves and cutting off the flowering buds. In the summer, a cosmetic pruning of dried branches and flowers, sick or broken shoots is performed.
Analysis of feedback from experienced gardeners suggests that Gloria Dei Climbing is a sun-loving variety suitable for growing in regions with a mild climate. However, some flower growers planted bushes in Siberia, seeking short-term flowering. Below are a few reviews with recommendations for planting, care, maintenance.
“When buying in a nursery, I paid attention to a photo with beautiful flowers of yellowish-pink shade, I fell in love with this beauty right away. But I planted my bush wrong - in the open, where the wind is walking, blowing snow in winter. Only a year was happy to bloom - even under the fir branches, my rose froze out and died. Now looking for a grade againGloria Dei to admire the beautiful lashes on the low arch at the gate».
“A resilient sapling, it is almost impossible to" kill. " Ordered by mail, sent only after a month, not a bush, but a dried-up stem. Soaked in water, setin a bucketon the porch outside. And I forgot. I remembered after 3 weeks when my “rusk” took root. I planted a mixture of peat and humus near the fence; over the summer, a bush grew with branches about 3 m long. Even all the neighbors admired the flowering, asking for the name of the variety. Perhaps I will buy another gorgeous Gloria Dei, but I’ll be looking for one in the nursery. ”.
Evgenia Pavlovna, Moscow region
“Gloria Day was planted according to all the rules, but the bush began to blossom only in the 4th year, when he increased the lashes 2 meters long. For all these years, no ill. I counted 9 unusually beautiful flowers with an amazing pink border along the edge of the petals. The second time, my rosette gave 10 buds, even larger ones, apparently, responded to top dressing. In the autumn I put the branches in sawdust, I cover it with spruce branches, in the winter I throw snow on it ”.
“My climbing bush is already 3 years old. The winter worries under a building bag and snow. In the spring, we have to cut the shoots heavily due to freezing in our harsh climate. My Gloria Day blooms profusely, but during long rains the buds rot. ”
As noted earlier, the rose "Gloria Day" is very well opposed to a variety of diseases, but there is one disease to beware of - black spot. Especially often this disease occurs in wet years with low average temperature. The fight against black spot is conducted throughout the year.
Here is what you can do to keep the rose from the disease:
- every two weeks in the spring period, spray the bushes with preparations containing zinc and kankkozeba,
- in case of dark spots, apply medicine against this disease,
- in particularly wet time, roses can be treated with sulfur containing products,
- mulch the soil
- Additionally, you can feed with potassium, process infusions of horsetail and nettle.
With a serious development of the disease to use copper sulfate, while treating not only the plant itself, but also the soil every 7-10 days.
The origin and characteristics of the variety
The authorship of this variety of roses belongs to French breeders. Father and son Mayan officially registered their offspring on June 15, 1943. Hard work has been done since 1939. Tea seedlings, brought from the other end of the Atlantic, were used as the base. Only one surviving kidney on an experienced bush gave rise to the most famous variety of the 20th century.
The tea – hybrid rose Gloria Day is distinguished by its large size of buds. Fully developed, they have a diameter of 15 cm. The shape of flowers is cupped, the dominant color is lemon – yellow, and petals of delicate – pink shade along the edge. Interestingly, depending on the weather and the characteristics of growth, the color changes: it becomes more intense or pale. The same property of the aroma, after precipitation and in the evening, the fruit-honey plume is felt more strongly.
Branched bushes, with good care reach 2 m, and in width about 85 cm. Average density: 5–7 strong shoots. The thorns on the stems are large and sharp, but rather rare. Leaf is juicy-green, brilliant.
Rose has an average resistance to disease. Often infected with black spot. Frost resistance is good, without shelter winters successfully at -20 ° C. Flowering begins in June and pleases the eye all season.
The variety has received many awards and medals from the societies of rozovodov (American, British, World). New popular hybrids are derived from it:
- Love and peace,
- Gold Crown,
- Speaking sun
- Princess of Monaco and others.
Breeders deduced climbing species.
Landing on the site
For roses, choose a bright place. Well if the very first rays of the sun fall on the plant, so the bushes dry out faster from dew. The space should not be open to wind and draft, the constant shadow of buildings and large trees will not allow roses to develop fully. Will not tolerate the "French beauty" and the bright burning sun.
Roses love a rich organic soil. The best option is fertile black soil (pH level of 5.5-6.5). Clay soil and loam is not suitable for growing rose bushes. We will not allow stagnation of water in the selected area, especially in the autumn and spring periods.
Attention! The best predecessors of roses are legumes.
Planting of young seedlings is scheduled for early May, when the soil warms up. The future rose garden is formed in a staggered manner, so it is more convenient to take care of cultures. Between the planting holes leave 0.40–0.45 m. Bushes are planted compactly, this allows the average density of the foliage of the bushes. The depth of the wells is no more than 40 cm. Water is poured on the roses as needed with warm water. The best time for irrigation is evening.
Fertilization and general care
Adult rose bushes are fed in early spring immediately after pruning. Fertilizer must contain enough nitrogen to build green mass. Next feed in June before laying the buds. For this, cow manure is diluted with water (1: 3), superphosphate is added, and it is allowed to settle for two weeks. Before watering the mixture is diluted in a ratio of 1:10. The plant consumes about 5 liters of liquid fertilizer. Re-organic make in August, supplement mineral complexes.
In September, before wintering, the rose needs phosphorus. During the winter, the substance will have time to completely decompose and by the spring to enrich the earth.
Rose Gloria Day is suitable for growing even beginners in the floriculture. According to many reviews and descriptions, this is a hassle-free hybrid. Nevertheless, to grow luxurious bushes, you need competent care and attention.
Would you like to plant this variety in your garden?