The bathroom is very demanding in relation to the building materials used. High humidity, temperature changes, steam and weak natural air circulation lead to premature wear of coatings, mold, mildew and unpleasant smell. Therefore, a moisture-resistant finish, in particular, ceramic tile, is used to repair the bathroom.
With its help revet the walls and the floor of the bathroom, creating a reliable and durable waterproofing layer. In this article we will tell you where to start laying tile so that the final result will please the eye and serve for a long time.
Features of the use of tile
Tiles are most often placed on the floor and walls of the bathroom in order to protect the concrete base from water destruction or fungus formation. This coating creates a durable waterproofing layer that is highly resistant to aggressive chemicals.
In the building stores you can find tiles of any color, size and surface topography from inexpensive collections made in Belarus to products made by Italian craftsmen. For finishing the bathroom, you will need tiles on the floor, walls, as well as at the request of the customer decor and borders to create more complex compositions. Laying tile has the following features:
- Before laying the tile on the floor or walls of the bathroom, carefully prepare the surface to be veneered. The old deteriorated coating is removed down to the concrete base and then leveled. Since the seams between the tiles do not hide, and emphasize the curvature of the walls.
- Laying ceramic tiles in the bathroom should not start from the top down, as in other rooms, but vice versa. Professional craftsmen first revet the floor of the room, and only then the walls.
Note! When planning a repair in the bathroom, first make the calculation of the required number of tiles. To do this, measure the room, calculate the surface area, and then divide by the area of one tile. Note that often the size of the tile that is put on the floor is different from the wall. In order to have enough material for trimming and fitting according to the pattern, 10-15% is added to the quantity obtained in the calculation.
Most homeowners, planning to repair the bathroom, wondering where to first put the tile. In most rooms, professional builders work “from top to bottom,” that is, first of all they veneer the ceiling, then the walls, at the very end the floor. This technology is not used in the bathroom.
To lay the ceramic tile smooth, you must first set the floor level. If you start facing the wall, it will turn out to be a curve, and to dock the floor with it will be problematic. Finishing the bathroom tiles is done as follows:
- First, remove the old coating from the surface of the floor, walls and ceiling of the room with scrapers, spatulas or grinders with a flexible grinding disc.
- Using moisture-resistant concrete level the walls, and the floor is poured leveling screed. To seal minor defects using acrylic putty.
- Then create a waterproofing layer, for which the walls are treated with liquid waterproofing, and the roll floor.
- First laid floor tiles, not forgetting to check the correctness of the laying with the help of construction level.
- Cover the floor with a protective film, and then proceed to the tiling of the bathroom walls.
Important! When facing the floor tiles, its level increases due to the thickness of the tile, as well as due to the layer of tile adhesive, in general, it can become higher by 2-3 cm. This explains why experienced craftsmen do not begin to cladding the bathroom from the walls.
After about two weeks, the seams can be additionally protected with a waterproof compound that is applied over the grout. On this floor finish is considered complete, and if everything is done according to the rules, the coating will serve for years, maintaining the original appearance.