This parameter determines the number of eggs that fit immediately. When choosing a model, it is necessary to pay attention to its capacity of ostrich eggs. For chicken and quail eggs, the instructions indicate a different meaning. For industrial poultry farming, MS models are more suitable for high performance, while for home use models 50 and 80 eggs are enough.
Incubators for ostrich eggs are produced worldwide. Chinese models have already fully captured the farming market, but you can also choose a quality option from domestic models. For novice poultry farmers, it is really better to give preference to domestic models, since the instruction and control system are indicated in Russian, therefore such models are more convenient to use.
Even the best-quality incubators can break, so it’s best not to forget to take a warranty card from the manufacturer, since any damage during the warranty period is fixed by the manufacturer for free. At the expiration of the warranty period there is an additional customer service that allows you to repair the device in case of breakdowns that arose through no fault of the user.
Incubators for ostrich eggs vary in size and capacity. Also, if the models with automatic and manual rotation. The duration of breeding ostrich eggs more than chicken, for example, so the automatic coup is much more convenient and do not need to constantly monitor the process.
Also, you need to pay attention to the material production design. If the incubator is made of plastic, then it must be a quality material that will not break or be damaged.
It is better to choose devices that are equipped with a temperature and humidity indicator. Models with an electronic thermostat are very easy to use. It is also necessary to pay attention to the ventilation system, since without airing high hatchability one can wait.
The Ramil-36TsU digital incubator is a quality model for hatching ostrich eggs. The device is designed for 36 eggs. It has an automatic rotation system and an electronic control system.
The Remil-36TSU Incubator is equipped with an automatic temperature control function, as well as an internal ventilation system. The level of humidity and temperature can be changed. The Ramil-36TsU case is made of metal-plastic. There is a viewing window, glazed with impact-resistant plastic.
Temperature stability is achieved through two identical regulators, each of which has a system for protection against overheating. If one thermostat fails, the other replaces it and maintains the temperature within the required limits. The humidity level can be adjusted manually.
This system has a fairly large weight of 100 kg, therefore it is only suitable for specially equipped premises for medium-sized poultry farming.
The price is 122000 rubles.
Inka - 10 is an Ukrainian-made incubator with good quality and practical characteristics. The distinctive feature of the Inca - 10 is a transparent door made of durable glass. The system is equipped with an automatic humidification system. By setting the humidity and temperature mode, it is possible to create the most favorable conditions under which the output of fertilized eggs is up to 95%.
Incubator automatic Inca-10 for ostrich eggs is designed for 10 ostrich eggs. In a set of 2 trays of 5 eggs. The temperature is set automatically. Humidity range is 20-55%. The parameters of the incubator are 64.9x64.4x138.8 cm. The weight of the structure is 54 kg.
This device is great for home poultry. For industrial purposes, its performance is not enough.
The price is 64 000 rubles.
1400 egg incubator for chicken farm
AI-1400 incubator is a device for ostrich hatching, the main difference of which is the creation of incubation conditions as close as possible to the process of natural incubation. AI-1400 is a digital incubator, which is equipped with various parameters:
- Temperature regulation.
- Moisture regulation.
3. Alarm of functional disorders.
4. Regulation of cooling and ventilation.
5. Calibrate temperature.
6. Interval of egg turning. The hull is made of metal with an additional internal insulation of 50 mm. The change in temperature accuracy can be adjusted with an accuracy of 0.1 degrees.
Price 42 600 rubles.
The BION high-performance incubator is an automated model that holds up to 48 ostrich eggs. You can control the system using the touch screen. The incubator is produced in Russia and is designed for large poultry. Management electronic. Also suitable for breeding other bird species. The device is equipped with additional trays.
Among the advantages of the model can be identified high performance and ease of operation. Humidity and temperature control is automatic. A rather massive construction, therefore, it can be installed only in a specially equipped room.
The price is 55 000 rubles.
Multilife for ostrich eggs, geese
Multilife - automated incubators "Multilife" for the incubation of African ostrich eggs. Designed for 36 egg places.
The management of incubation regimes is carried out in Russian. In automatic mode, you can change:
1. Temperature control with an accuracy of 0.1 C.
2. Regulation of humidity by 1-3%.
The incubator also has a ventilation system and fresh air supply, automatic egg flipping and camera ventilation.
The Multilife incubator housing is made of durable material with a transparent door so that you can observe the process without opening the chamber.
Multilife incubator series is more suitable for industrial production, so Multilife is not suitable for home withdrawal.
How to make an incubator for ostrich eggs with your own hands?
Breeding of ostriches has become very popular in the last 5 years and now you can buy a special device that is designed specifically for breeding ostriches. Devices for breeding ostriches are quite expensive, so if you have the necessary materials and knowledge, you can independently design an incubator for the divorce of ostriches.
In order to make an incubator you need to know that the output of ostriches requires maintaining the correct temperature and humidity. For this there is a special thermostat, which must be placed in the design. Also, it is important that fresh air enters the chamber and the warm air is evenly distributed, so it is better to purchase a small automatic fan to use for ventilation. The walls of the chamber should be made of durable and heat-insulating material, so it is necessary to additionally insulate them, if the case is made of a thin material.
To make an incubator for ostrich eggs you will need:
- Old fridge - price up to 500 rubles.
- Thermometer - the price is 60 rubles.
- Fan - price 120 rubles.
- Power supply - the price of 500 rubles.
- Thermostat - the price of 600 rubles.
Additional consumables can be used optionally, as needed. When self-fabricating the device, its final cost will still be lower than the purchased counterparts.
The incubator should be small in size, but experienced farmers recommend doing two devices at the same time. They must be different parameters, since the size of the eggs may not be the same. Because of this difference, an even distribution of warm air will fail. If the thermal mode is the same, then the output quality will decrease.
Incubation of ostriches lasts 45 days. Better near the camera to create hatcher, so that those chicks that hatched, moved there.
The temperature in the chamber for ostriches is different from the output for an ordinary bird. If for chicken eggs it should be 37 degrees, then for ostrich eggs the temperature is not higher than 36-36.5 degrees. After the first 5 days, the temperature may increase due to the release of heat by the eggs. In order not to disturb the temperature, you should immediately cut out the viewing window in the device.
The humidity level can be any. For example, 25% is enough for African ostriches, and 40% or more for Nanda. To maintain the correct temperature, it is necessary to provide good ventilation.
Eggs need to be turned 10-12 times a day, so it’s best to set a timer or an auto-flip system. You must install an electric motor that will rotate the tray the required number of times.
The tray can be made independently of any dense material. The egg grid must be metal to support the weight of the eggs.
What is this process for?
Incubation is a complex process that requires compliance with certain rules and requirements. This is a period of time necessary for the full cycle of the development of the organism.. For these purposes, a special apparatus is used in which optimal conditions are created for the ripening of the fetus. This allows you to speed up the process of hatching chicks, as well as reduce the development of pathologies.
Structural Features and Pretreatment
The ostrich egg consists of water, nutrients and mineral components.. It contains all the elements that are so important for embryos during incubation and after the incubation period.
And although ostrich eggs of one species are similar in manifestations, they can have significant differences in shell porosity and size. Their shells should be covered with a cuticle. It is a natural barrier against the penetration of microbes. In addition, the same task is performed by the protein substance.
The ostrich egg has the shape of an ellipse. Visually determine where the sharp and rounded tip is difficult. Shell looks like porcelain and has pores. They can be small and inconspicuous for different species of birds.
Before laying the material in the incubator, it is necessary to disinfect it and remove the existing contamination. If you scrape the shell with a brush, it will cause an increase in embryonic mortality. The fact is that during such a manipulation the shell can be damaged, its pores are clogged and the air exchange is broken.
Preparation of the solution
Virkon-S is used to remove dirt from eggs. For 1 liter of water, take 2-3 g of the substance. Water for washing should be warm. If you use cold water, it will lead to a reduction in the air space of the pores of the shell, which will cause the penetration of harmful microbes and bacteria into the eggs.
When washing eggs, the following recommendations should be followed.:
- For cleaning works, a soft brush is required.
- The cleaning solution should be 5 degrees warmer than the eggs.
- After washing, dry the material.
Stages of embryo development
When the ostrich eggs in the incubator are x-rayed, there are several stages of their development:
- On the 7th day in the fertilized egg there is a shadow of allantois. It lines 20% of the shell surface.
- On the 14th day this shadow is easily distinguishable. It increases, taking the upper surface of the egg by ½. Further the shadow becomes more and more.
- On the 24th day 1/6 of the egg is occupied by the air chamber, and ½ - by the embryo.
- On the 33rd day embryo occupies 2/3 volume.
- Starting from the 35th day almost nothing can be distinguished, because the egg is completely filled with an embryo.
Incubator features and table with modes
Modern devices are equipped with various functions, thanks to which it is possible to control the whole incubation process in automatic mode. Temperature indicators should be in the range of 36-36.4 degrees.
Modern models are able to independently monitor the temperature, humidity, air exchange, and they are also equipped with an automatic egg turning function. The incubation period for ostrich eggs is 42-43 days.. Before hatching chicks (at 41-42 days), eggs should be transferred to a special hatcher.
Table 1 - Temperature and humidity conditions for incubating eggs at home
If you want to make an incubator with your own hands, you can read this article.
After selection, ostrich eggs are washed, disinfected and stored at a temperature of 15-18 degrees. It is necessary to turn them over 2 times a day. After transportation, the material is fumigated with formaldehyde. Egg incubation takes place in cabinets with a capacity of 1,690 eggs..
On the 10th day of incubation, the eggs must be removed from the incubator and weighed to determine shrinkage. If the egg loses to less than 12 or more than 15%, then they are placed in separate incubation chambers with a different humidity level. Similar monitoring is carried out every 2 weeks. Thus, at the end of the incubation period, it is possible to obtain the maximum number of suitable for breeding chicks.
How to choose the right incubator
When choosing the right and high-quality incubator, it is important to fully take into account all the design features of these devices, but often quite serious criteria, unfortunately, are not taken into account. In this case, the effectiveness of the use of an incubator decreases, which can lead to serious losses.
To determine the correct choice of ostrich incubator, you need to look at the following features of the device:
- performance: This parameter is primarily determined by the number of eggs that will ripen in the device. Models of average power are considered the most common on the market. They allow you to simultaneously hold up to 10 trays, while growing at the same time several dozen eggs per cycle. But if ostrich breeding is carried out for amateur purposes, we advise you to pay attention to more rational low-power devices that hold up to 10 eggs per cycle,
- heating device: This element of the design is the main one; therefore, its choice should be approached with the greatest scrupulousness. Today there are systems that provide heating elements, incandescent lamps, thermal cord, infrared emitters, etc., but the most economical option is a thermal film. Only it can evenly heat the contents of the incubator with a minimum expenditure of energy,
- thermostat: For the formation of healthy and viable strausut it is imperative to observe the correct temperature during incubation. In this case, the error of the sensors plays a key role in this process, since it is this that contributes to the correct assessment of the temperature regime inside the device. Therefore, the sensors should be selected with the smallest relative error. In addition, today there are sensors with electronic and manual mode. Manual adjusting incubators cost much less than automatic ones, but only a high-precision computer will be able to create conditions in the device that are as close to natural as possible.
How to do it yourself
Professional and multifunctional systems for artificially breeding young ostriches today are a fairly serious expense item, regardless of the extent of the breeding of poultry.
DIY Incubator: video
Therefore, many private farmers decide to create an incubator with their own hands, using available means, which seriously reduces this item of expenditure. For these purposes, there are many approaches, but constructions made from bee hives are considered the highest quality and professional ones.
Next, we consider the main subtleties of creating a homemade hive incubator.
In order to create the entire structure, you will need:
- double hive - 1 pcs.,
- galvanized mesh with a cell 16x24 mm - 2 square meters. m,
- 1–2 l metal vessel - 1 pc.,
- 25–40 W bulbs with a cartridge - 4 pcs.,
- ready tray for eggs - 1 pc.,
- 50 mm thick foam plates - 5 square meters. m,
- adhesive for foam plastic - 1 pc.
The main stages of the preparation of the incubator:
- Remove the partition separating it from the upper part in the lower body of the hive, and then close the resulting hole with a galvanized wire mesh.
- Remove the partition above the ceiling at the top of the hive, and then close the hole with a galvanized wire mesh.
- Mount bulbs with bullets at a height of about 10–15 cm from the ceiling at the top of the hive.
- Fix foam plates on the outside of the hive with a special glue - this will help improve the temperature and microclimate inside the device.
- Once the insulation is firmly glued to the structure, you can begin to operate the incubator. To do this, put a metal container with clean tap water (as a natural moisture regulator) at the bottom, then install a tray with eggs and turn on the light.
Today there are many such devices, but the most profitable are domestic models: they provide consumers with the most modern technical solutions at low cost. But with a lack of extra funds, a good incubator can be created with your own hands - with the help of scrap materials from an old beehive.
Finding the right time
The most convenient time for laying eggs is the evening around 18.00. For the output to occur amicably, it is necessary to sort the used material by size. The fact is that at first chicks from small eggs are born, and only then from large ones. First, make a bookmark of large material, after 4 hours - medium and after 4 hours - small.
To control the development of the embryo, ovoscopy is used.. The fact is that the shell of ostrich eggs is very thick, so that in the process of scanning you can only see the shadow of fetal butterflies or the embryo.
Ovoskop - this tube, whose length is 1 m and a diameter corresponding to the size of the egg. At the base of the prior there is a lamp whose power is 100 watts. At the opposite end is a rubber ring that protects the shell from damage. After each contacting of the egg with the ring, it must be cleaned with a sponge moistened in a disinfecting solution.
The most common mistakes
Most often the death of embryos occurs for the following reasons.:
- Infectious pathologies. If there is a fungal or bacterial lesion, then the protein begins to cloud, a putrid odor occurs. Visible raw nodules, which are dead tissue.
- Hereditary diseases. This should include the underdevelopment of the beak, the accretion of two embryos, the underdevelopment of organs.
- Fetal dystrophy. Observed with impaired feeding of the parent pair. The embryos are stunted and poorly absorbed nutrients. The yolk is thick, viscous. Hatched chicks have paralysis.
- Underheated eggs. The development and growth of embryos is inhibited from the very beginning of incubation, increases the time of hatching chicks. If underheating occurs, many chicks, remaining alive, still die.
- Lack of moisture. Eggs begin to lose weight, increasing the size of air chambers. Chicks are born prematurely. The shell is fragile and dry. There is a high death rate.
- Excessive humidity. If the humidity is increased, then the protein is covered by allantois. During ovoscopy on the last days of incubation, in many eggs the boundaries of the air chamber are even, and in the germinal membranes there is liquid. Part of the young are killed due to the drying of the skin and beak to the shell at the site of prokleva.
- Disturbed gas exchange. At the initial stage of incubation, an increased number of deformities occur. In the second half of the incubation, the position of the embryo changes - with its head directed toward the sharp end of the egg.
First steps after elimination
Tolko that appeared chicks should immediately put in a brooder. This is a cage with a pallet, which is equipped with metal grills and heating trays. Keep them there for 2-3 hours so that the ostrichs can dry off. To weigh each hatching nestling in order to control its further development. Disinfect the umbilical cord and hold such events for 2-3 days. The weight of the newly hatched ostrich bird is 500-900 g.
Incubation of ostrich eggs is a popular procedure that can be performed in both home and farm conditions. In fact, this work is not so difficult, although very important. The farmer should just closely monitor all parameters and create the necessary conditions for the successful development of the embryo and the emergence of healthy straus.
The incubator is a cabinet or box. The walls of the cabinet are made of a material with low thermal conductivity. Most often it is insulated with insulation material: use foam and foil membrane.
The cabinet is kept at a certain temperature. The heating element are infrared lamps or heaters. Inside are thermometers and gauges. Temperature control is automatic. The optimal mode at the initial stage of laying eggs is 36.5 C. A week later, the temperature is gradually reduced to 31 C. At the end of the incubation period, it is again raised to 36.4 C. To determine the temperature, install thermometers. There are several of them: on the top and on the bottom panel, on the viewing window, which is located on the door, and on the middle shelf. To evenly distribute the temperature inside the incubator, install fans.
The humidity in the incubator should be 30%. To determine the humidity inside the incubator install hygrometers. Here are the sensors. Air humidification occurs with the help of software control automatically.
Inside the cabinet are trays with cells. They lay eggs. Trays automatically turn the eggs after a specified period of time. Most often set a period of 2 hours. The duration of the coup 10 seconds.
In the lower part of the door are vents. A separate ventilation pipe is supplied to the cabinet, which forces air from the room. When you turn on the ventilation system, air purification occurs, the temperature decreases and humidity increases.
Incubators with a small laying of eggs, up to 30 pcs. Are intended for beginner poultry farmers. For industrial scale equipment is purchased with the ability to incubate more than 1 thousand eggs. Often, chambers are purchased with incubators. The chicks that were born are transferred to this camera. They dry out there and spend the first day.
When choosing equipment take into account the following points: automatic regulation of all systems, weight, size, capacity, manufacturer's popularity and cost. Experts advise to look at the following models:
- Nest-10S - the equipment is designed for 10 eggs, has temperature and humidity sensors, the basket with cells is automatically rotated at a certain time, suitable for novice farmers with a small farm,
- Nest-64S - 64 eggs are laid in an incubator for ostriches, the equipment is equipped with computer control, the cabinet has a glass door through which you can watch the process of egg ripening,
- AI-1400 - the equipment is designed for large farms, it is designed for laying 1400 eggs.
Before laying the biomaterial, it is necessary to wash the incubator, wipe all panels and nets with a disinfectant solution. Immediately install a program for automatic control: set the temperature, humidity, turn-over baskets, turn on the ventilation.
The cabinet is opened only in emergency situations. Choose a unit with a battery so that when a power outage, the equipment continues to work.
How to make an incubator?
Some craftsmen who began to breed ostriches in their compound, it is interesting to assemble an incubator with their own hands. Invent various models. Beehives, refrigerators are used as the main cabinet; boxes are constructed from sandwich panels. What should be envisaged in the incubator?
Using a fridge is a good idea. It is initially equipped with a heat-insulating material, which means it will be good to keep the heat inside. The refrigerator is washed and ventilated. There should be no foreign odors in it.
- The door in the fridge. A hole is made in the door for the viewing window. The window is made of thick glass. On the glass set a thermometer. At the bottom of the door make 2 circular holes, which are covered with a grid or mesh. They are necessary for ventilation. The door in the fridge should close tightly.
- Upper inner panel. A heating element is installed on top. Often use a piece of battery system "warm floor".
- Far vertical panel. A fan, a temperature sensor, a thermometer are installed on it.
- Here they make a hole for the entry of moist air. It connects with a humidifier. Use a household humidifier. It is installed outside, on the lid of the refrigerator. The equipment is connected to the panel hole by means of a corrugated pipe. Hole can be made on the top deck. On the ceiling of the refrigerator.
- On the far wall make a vent. It connects with the outer tube: the tube is wrapped with insulating material in order to save heat. In the pipe through the hole enters the warm air from the heating element. It is pumped by fans mounted on the right and left vertical walls. The pipe has an outlet in the lower panel of the refrigerator, on the floor.
- The panel on the right. From above install the fan, the thermometer temperature sensor.
- Left panel. From above install the fan. Make an exit for the movement of trays.
- The bottom panel. Install a heating lamp, a temperature sensor, a thermometer. A hole is made for the pipe into which the heat enters. The bottom of the incubator is heated.
- In the refrigerator, fit the slats for installing egg boxes. They are best purchased separately. Select the boxes with the device for turning the cells. If the box is made with your own hands, then fixtures for eggs are attached to it. They are made of plastic pipe. Choose a pipe according to the diameter of the samples. Ostrich eggs should not roll out of the cell. Otherwise, when turning it may pop out of the grid.
So, it turns out, knowing the basic principle of the incubator, you can safely create it yourself. We considered an example of the simplest device, which, in fact, besides electric light bulbs has no other devices. And, nevertheless, there are many different schemes and examples that show how more complex incubators are assembled at home, what they consist of, and what basic features they have.
Cultivation of ostriches in Ukraine
Stares farming is quite a promising and profitable occupation, as well as the most profitable in agriculture. The ostrich is not a capricious bird that is well climatized in all regions of Ukraine. The ostrich business is practically without waste production, since such a bird as an ostrich is valued almost everything from skin, eggs, fat, meat and ending with feathers. You can also sell eggshells, which in skilled hands becomes a good decorative addition to the interior. During the crisis, it is very popular live bird. Nowadays, it has become advantageous not to resell, but to produce something of our own. There are good opportunities and perspectives for staus farming.
Ostriches are bred from long ago, the second reincarnation of this business in Ukraine began in the 80s of the twentieth century. When low calorie meat began to come into fashion.
Our time in Ukraine there are about 10 fairly successful firms breeding Black African Ostriches. Immunity is well developed in ostriches, which allows them to endure the cold seasons pretty well.
The commercial product of an ostrich is about 45%, which is much higher than for example in cattle. Ostriches quite productive female ostrich for the year lays 60-65 eggs from which you can get about 40 chicks. Chicks gain market mass in 12-14 months. From them you can get about 1.5 tons of meat and about 50m² of leather. Ostrich meat is still not usually and low-calorie with low cholesterol. The bird is sent for slaughter in one year. With one carcass weighing 110-120 kg receive about 40-45 kg of meat. The cost of such meat in Ukraine is about 100 grams. per kg, in Germany 14-25 euros, in the United States the wholesale price of meat is 9-12 dollars.
Breeding this bird is pretty profitable. The cost of growing one bird to slaughter 120kg. About 100 euros. We decompose on the shelves.
Purchase of young animals at the age of one day is 25 euros.
Other costs - 32.7 euros
Skinning - 10 Euro
And plus the costs are not of a production nature.
And now about income: we take profits from the sale of meat and skins.
The skin is approximately 1.3 m² -60 euros.
On average, with ostrich slaughter weight, you can get 35 kg of meat. So let's calculate
Food and Productivity
"The work is not complicated, but some conditions are required: The ostrich needs a large plot of land, plenty of water and alfalfa (this is the main feed). The birds' dwelling must be warm and constantly heated, especially in young chicks. We had a bitter experience when more than a dozen birds died in the cold. As a safety net, it is necessary to have an electric generator in case of power outages.
Now we have about 50 hectares of land for growing ostriches at home and 24 adult birds. This area is enough for them, because they love to bask in the sun and run.
To get started, you need only one assistant (male or female). The female begins to carry eggs in a year, but do not rush to use them for incubation. As soon as you have at least 3 females that carry eggs, they can be used as incubation eggs. The first is better to sell to cover part of the costs. We will have to spend money on alfalfa (50% of the ostrich's diet), as well as wheat, corn, barley, oats, mixed grains. This variety in food will allow the bird to grow faster. If possible, you must grow all the food yourself, because It is cheaper than buying it in the future.
The female produces from 40 to 90 eggs per year, in a good year it can carry up to 120 eggs, of which 80% give chicken. The most active period when they rush is from the beginning of spring to late autumn. Ostriches used to hatch eggs in the sand, so you need to take care of this immediately. If possible, the sand should be heated to ensure the conditions to which they are accustomed. Since the beginning of spring, the first 10 eggs from each female go for sale by Easter, since during this period, demand increases significantly and prices rise. "
How much does an ostrich egg cost?
Hatching eggs cost between $ 500 and $ 1000, depending on the number of pieces. An egg for consumption costs $ 30 to $ 50.
How fast do ostriches grow?
At birth, the chick is 25 cm tall and weighs about 1 kg. The increase is 25-30 cm per month, so that at the age of 5 months it will be 1.5 meters tall. At maturity it reaches a height of 2.5 m and weighs more than 150 kg. He lives more than 50 years. Nestlings hatch mainly in spring and summer.
What does an adult ostrich give?
At the time of slaughter at the age of 10-14 months, 35 kg of lean (young with low fat) meat, as well as about 1.5 kg of skin and feathers can be obtained from an ostrich. If the bird is not killed, the males reach sexual maturity at the age of 30 months, the females - 20 months. If you are not a victim, preserved for breeding the male reaches puberty for 30 months, female - 20.
How to recognize a sick ostrich? A healthy ostrich gets along well with a man. If he is sick, then he does not show interest in a person, he does not walk so confidently, his neck is more arched towards the ground, his wings are lowered.