A durable shovel in the winter helps to quickly remove the snow from the summer cottage, the roof of a house or car. Learn how to make a snow shovel from scrap materials without spending extra money. Snow removal tools are made of wood, plastic and metal, orthopedic handles are designed for them and wheels are attached to the bucket for ease of movement. Particularly demanding users design and create automatic cleaning mechanisms based on rotary engines.
General rules and requirements for manufacturing
Snowplow must meet a number of characteristics - consider this before manufacturing:
- robust bucket able to withstand the snow load
- the depth of the bucket corresponds to the length of the handle, the surface is desirable ribbed to facilitate movement in the snow,
- a handle with a grip at the end and a rubber slip inset,
- cutting length, suitable for growth.
When designing a shovel design, if possible, give up the folding handle - it reduces the strength of the product. Bucket width, depending on your physical data. You can carry more snow on a wide shovel, but there is no point in it if you cannot lift it. Having made the project, start making the tool.
Plywood shovel with wooden handle
To create a wooden shovel, you will need a sheet of OSB or plywood, a 50x8 cm board, aluminum strips, and a cutting - you can buy it at the hardware store. Prepare from the tools:
- jigsaw and saws,
- self-tapping screws 4 cm long and small carnations,
- drill with toothed crowns,
- impregnation for wood.
How to make a snow shovel:
- With a 6 mm thick plywood sheet, use a fret saw to cut a square bucket base measuring 50x50 cm.
- Saw a crescent of 50 cm in length from the board. The width of the central part should be 8 cm, and the sides should be 5 cm each.
- In the center of the board, drill a round hole with a diameter equal to the diameter of the cutting. To fix the handle at an angle, drill a hole with a 1 cm bevel.
- Insert the handle in the hole and measure the length of the cutting, suitable for growth. Saw the cutting to the desired length at an angle and, if necessary, sandpaper.
- Fasten the plywood sheet and the crescent back wall with carnations.
- In the center of the scoop, draw a straight line along which you will fasten the handle.
- Install the sawed-off cutting into the hole, align it along the line and screw it on the screws. To prevent the plywood from cracking, pre-drill holes.
- Perform a metal scoop reinforcement - fasten an aluminum strip 5-7 cm wide along the bottom edge. To do this, bend the strip in half, put it on the base and hit it with a hammer several times. Protruding edges also bend with a hammer. Drive along the length of the strip three to four studs for the strength of the structure.
- The second strip strengthen the connection of the plywood sheet with the back wall, and the third - the connection of the bucket and handles.
Treat the spade with anti-fungal treatment and leave it for a day. In a day she will be ready for use.
Where to find materials, if you do not want to spend money:
- plywood - ask for the nearest sawmill,
- cutting - to make independently from a 50x50 mm bar or detach from an unnecessary tool,
- aluminum strips - cut from cans,
- impregnation - replace unused paint residues.
Metal helper from baking sheet or lid
Metal shovels are often refused, considering them expensive to manufacture and overly heavy. In fact, you can make a snow shovel with your own hands free of charge using materials and tools available on the farm.
- aluminum cover with a diameter of 60 cm or baking sheet 60x40 cm,
- metal tape 3 mm thick,
- wooden stalk
- Bulgarian or jigsaw with a metal file,
- electric drill,
- rivet gun.
How to make a snow shovel:
- Prepare the aluminum base for the bucket. Saw the borders of the lid or pan with a fretsaw or grinder so that you get a square measuring 50x50 cm or a rectangle 40x60 cm.
- Make a bucket boost. Take a metal ribbon and cut three strips equal to the length of the bucket, and then three more equal to the width. Drill holes in each strip with a drill every 4 cm. Place the strips on the bucket in the form of a grid and fasten with rivets.
- Attach the stalk to the bucket and measure the length. Jigsaw saw off the excess part of the handle.
- Cut 2 strips of length 8-10 cm from the metal strip. Hammer the strips into the cutting 7–10 cm apart, and fasten the protruding edges on the bucket with rivets.
Cover the wooden part with varnish or anti-fungal treatment to increase tool life. Snow shovel will last several years, if you use it in the winter strictly for the purpose.
Plastic toiler from an old canister
The easiest way to make a plastic snow shovel with your own hands is to attach the finished bucket cloth to the wooden handle.
The advantages of plastic over wood and metal:
- material is durable - does not rust and does not rot,
- the weight of a plastic spade is half that of wood
- a wide range of ready-made shovels in stores.
Buying a base for a bucket in the store, check it out for durability. Try to bend - it should not break. From scrap materials for the manufacture of plastic drums and cans can be used with a wall thickness of 6 mm.
How to make a snow shovel from plastic:
- With an electric fretsaw, cut a 50 x 50 cm base out of a barrel. Do not pay attention to irregularities - they will stop when the snow is cleaned for the first time.
- In the center of the scoop draw a straight line along which the cutting will be attached.
- Attach the stalk to the bottom of the scoop and secure with a countersunk tapping screw.
- Put aluminum or steel strips on top of the handle and fasten with rivets.
- Varnish the handle.
If you do not plan to remove the snow in large volumes, you can fasten the handle to the nails and strengthen the wire.
Snow rollback on wheels for quick cleaning
A variety of snow shovel - rollback on wheels, also called “dump”. Key device requirements:
- ease of use
- minimum physical activity
- minimum manufacturing cost.
To make a snow rollback, you will need:
- drawing or project
- two wheels for carts,
- sheet steel 1 mm thick (metal pipe with a diameter of 30-40 cm can be used),
- steel tube with a diameter of 20-40 mm.
- welding machine.
- Construct a reel blade from sheet steel. The optimal length is 70 cm, width 40 cm. If you use a pipe as the source material, use a grinder to cut a piece of the desired length and cut it lengthwise into two parts.
- Weld a metal plate of 20x10 cm to the back side of the blade. Drill three holes in it - one for the fastening bolt and two for the stopper fixing the blade at a certain angle.
- From the steel tube cut the stalk. Select the length according to your own height.
- Weld two flanged metal plates along the bottom of the cutting, pre-drilled holes in them for installation on the wheel axle.
- Weld the handle to the top - a horizontal piece of tube 30-40 cm long.
- Saw off a piece 60 cm long from a tube with a diameter of 30 mm. Put a cutting on the axle and fix it in the middle with retaining rings. Mount the wheels 50-55 cm apart on the edges of the axle.
- Weld the horizontal tube to the lower end of the handle for attaching the blade.
- Secure the blade to the tube with the bolt.
- Paint the finished snow plow.
At the bottom of the blade you can put a conveyor belt for better sliding. Alternative rollback - four-wheel.
Spade with a screw shaft do it yourself
The screw is a kind of screw that rotates inside the spade scraper while moving. The snow spirals and is thrown to the side through the gutter. Varieties of auger snow shovels:
- manual single-stage - the screw rotates when moving and the snow is rejected due to the rotation of the shaft,
- automatic rotary - the screw rotates due to the operation of the engine and is ejected into the chute from the fan.
The snow throw distance in rotor mechanisms is up to 12 meters, while the range and speed of the ejection can be adjusted.
Manual snow removal unit
The auger snow shovel seems to be a complicated mechanism, but you can even make it yourself at home.
- sheet iron,
- metal rings and bearings,
- two asterisks,
- welding machine.
How to make a snow shovel with a screw:
- Assemble the scraper body. Make backside and sidewalls of sheet iron and weld together. If welding is not possible, fasten with bolts.
- Make holes in the sides and install the auger. It can also be made on its own by welding U-shaped plates of sheet iron at an angle of 180 ° to each other to a pipe with a diameter of 5 cm and fixing a spiral of sheet iron on them. The auger shaft must extend at least 6 cm from each side of the body.
- From a metal tube with a diameter of 30 mm saw off a piece of length equal to the length of the body. Weld the sprocket to the center of the tube, and fasten the wheels along the edges using lock rings.
- Weld the second sprocket onto the auger shaft and connect it with the first sprocket on the axle of the wheels. Design a handle of optimal length and weld it to the body.
When driving in the snow, the wheels will spin, the rotation will be transmitted along the chain to the shaft, and the snow masses will fold back.
Mechanical snow removal device with engine
The power of a mechanical snow removal tool is 6.5 horsepower, and its width is 50 cm, which is great for clearing tracks on the site. The unit is based on a gasoline engine.
To make a snow blower with your own hands, you will need:
- sheet iron,
- gasoline engine, for example, from the motoblock,
- metal tube for a handle with a diameter of 1.5 cm
- 10 mm plywood sheet
- conveyer belt.
Assembly assembly procedure:
- Make a screw shaft. Take a pipe with a thickness of 2 cm and cut along to fix the metal blade for throwing snow 120x70 cm.
- Put the bearings on the pipe and fasten the conveyor belt 150 cm long.
- Make a frame from the corners of 5x5 cm and 2.5x2.5 cm. Fix the platform for the engine on it.
- Make a chute for throwing snow from a stainless or water pipe with a diameter of 160 mm. Select the length of the gutter, depending on the distance required for the snow mass to be thrown away - the longer the pipe, the further the snow will fold.
- Use a belt drive to transmit torque from the engine - if the screw stops during operation, the belt will simply slip without affecting the engine.
- Form a sheet iron body. Side walls can be made plywood for convenience.
- Fasten the auger in the housing and install it on the frame. Connect the engine to the auger belt and enjoy easy cleaning.
- For a better slip around the site, place the unit on wooden or plastic skis.
If you use an engine with an air cooling system, cover the air hole in it with a grid or metal plate so that the snow does not get inside when working.
Iron scraper with tongue
The snow shovel for the roof is a U-shaped scraper with a handle attached to it and a plastic “tongue” for spilling snow masses. The design allows you to clean the roof without dropping the shovel down.
To make the tool, you will need:
- galvanized iron sheet
- pole length of 4 meters
- flexible plastic strip.
- From a sheet of galvanized metal, bend the U-shaped profile 40 cm wide, 60 cm long. The height of the side walls is 30 cm.
- Cut a metal strip 60 cm long, 5 cm wide and fasten to the bolts to the side walls of the profile.
- Attach a wooden handle to the bolt strip.
- Attach a plastic “tongue” to the bottom of the U-shaped profile with carnations. Plastic for the “tongue” by default should be in the form of a roll, and when snow hits it, it should be unwound.
In order for the snow to roll down the plastic roof without your help, it is enough to lift the spade filled in during the cleaning process.
The original bottle scraper for cleaning the roof can be done independently, without spending a penny.
The principle of the cleaner: a rope with fixed scrapers thrown over the roof, then from two sides of the house, people become and in turn pulls the rope. Scrapers seize snow and throw off the roof.
- polyethylene cans (plastic will not work) - 6-8 pieces,
- long rope is slightly thicker than clothesline.
The order of manufacturing "shovels":
- From each canister cut the part with the neck, leaving +10 cm from the lid.
- Drill holes in the covers.
- Take a rope and cut a length of 15 meters. Bend in half to determine the center.
- At a distance from the center, equal to the length of one slope of the roof, secure the first canister with two knots.
- Attach the next canister 0.5 m from it. Covers should “look” in one direction - towards the center of the rope.
- Putting the first four canisters on one end of the rope, go to the other. On it, secure the trimmed parts so that the covers are directed in the opposite direction.
The dimensions specified in the instructions for design vary depending on the height of the building and the length of the ramp. The device can also be used alone, if you fix a load on one end of the rope that will pull it back.
Video: DIY snow shovel
To make the spade slide better, you can attach a rubber band to the bottom of the blade. An alternative option for such a mechanism is a four-wheel pullback.
In winter, snow removal requires not only paths on the plot, but also the roofs of houses. Assembling a snowplow for roofs with your own hands is a doable task. A shovel for cleaning roofs looks like the letter P, attached to a long stalk. A strip of plastic leaves it — a tape for throwing snow from the roof. The procedure for making a scraper do it yourself:
- From sheet metal to bend a U-shaped profile. Width - 55 cm, length - 65 cm, height - 35−45 cm.
- Cut from any metal strip 65 cm long and up to ten centimeters wide. Attach it with bolts to the side walls of the resulting profile.
- To the strip you need to attach the handle.
- A plastic tape is attached to the bottom of the side edges on small studs. The plastic must always be twisted into a roll. At hit of snow the roll will be untwisted.