Mediterranean spicy vegetable, well-established in our latitudes, is known to many. Everyone knows that not only fragrant celery leaves are eaten, but also its stems and root crop. The product is nutritionally valuable: with a low calorie content, it is full of vitamins and useful components, so it is well saturated with the body.
The spicy flavor of celery softens during heat treatment, it fills the dishes with a noble “nutty” aroma and makes salads, stews and meat more interesting and piquant. Why so many have not yet taken it into your diet? Perhaps, someone was pushed away by the sharp aroma of the greenness of the vegetable, someone does not know how to cook it, or is not familiar with the healing properties of this plant. Learn how to properly treat herring to enjoy and benefit from the vegetable - and diversify your diet with new tasty and healthy finds.
Useful properties of celery
Celery root vegetables are recommended to be administered with a diet for weight loss and during recovery. The substances contained in it help cleanse and strengthen the body, and also help in the fight against such diseases:
- They clean the blood of cholesterol, help fight hypertension and atherosclerosis.
- They remove excess fluid from the body, help relieve swelling and relieve the load on the heart and kidneys.
- Stabilize the water-salt balance in the body, thereby maintaining healthy joints and excretory system.
- Normalize the healthy work of the digestive tract, clean the intestines, stimulate the burning of adipose tissue, control appetite, help to get rid of constipation.
- Remove toxins and improve skin condition, remove signs of stress and fatigue from the body.
- Rejuvenate cells, saturating them with moisture and vitamins, are involved in maintaining men's health, stimulating potency.
- Improve eyesight.
The celery includes vitamin C, group B, carotene, PP, E, K and others, as well as potassium, calcium, iron, manganese and other minerals.
Celery is recommended to be used during severe stresses and in the cold season in order to strengthen the whole body, maintain immunity, speed up metabolic and regenerative processes. Its vitamin complex enriches the body on a diet, keeping the balance of nutrients and without interfering with weight loss.
Celery has a very low sugar content, so it is useful for diabetics to normalize blood composition and regulate digestion. It acts in a complex, strengthening the walls of blood vessels, removing excess fluid from the body and cleansing the intestines, ensuring normal absorption. Thanks to this, pressure is normalized, weight is reduced, the symptoms of varicose veins, hemorrhoids and other vascular diseases subside.
Due to the elimination of toxins, the skin is cleansed, healthy complexion is restored, rashes and allergies pass. Stamina increases during workouts.
- Celery can cause individual intolerance, so before you put a root vegetable in your diet, make sure that you are not allergic to umbrellas and to celery in particular. Celery rejection, as well as its excessive consumption, can cause nausea, bloating, flatulence, diarrhea, rash and itching. Sometimes these symptoms manifest from the slagging of the body, and disappear when the digestive tract and blood are cleansed. Therefore, if once celery caused you discomfort, you can try to use it again carefully - in small quantities.
- Careful use of tubers is the elderly and during pregnancy. This is due to the increased sensitivity of the gastrointestinal tract.
- It is necessary to refrain from eating celery to people suffering from pancreatitis, thrombophlebitis, gout, nephritis and intestinal disorders.
If the diet with celery interested you - consult with your doctor.
How to choose a good root vegetable
Celery juice is collected over the summer. Greens can be bought in June and July. The root crop is harvested closer to the fall. Therefore, if you want to buy a local vegetable with a minimum amount of fertilizer at an affordable price, it is during this period that you should look for it on the shelves. However, if desired, you can find celery in the winter. Firstly, it is stored for a long time without losing its useful properties, and secondly, an imported product of decent quality can be found on the market and especially in supermarkets.
Fresh celery will be full of juice. The trimmed remnants of the stems must be green and not dried out, and the root itself must be full, heavy, with a dull sound when knocked. Hollow fruits, which can be identified by the sounds and relatively small weight of a visually large fruit, it is better not to take. Typically, these vegetables have a bland taste and not very pleasant “cotton” pulp, which does not bring nutritional value.
Fresh root has a juicy pink skin. Cones are preferred without unnecessary processes and damage. Besides the fact that such fruits are difficult to clean, the presence of shoots impoverishes the root crop, which means that some of the nutrients left it. A dense smooth tuber is usually full of vitamins and minerals.
Good to know! before, root crops were not stored in the cellars, but in the ground, so they stayed fresh longer, did not dry out, and kept a pleasant aftertaste. Celery will last longer if you put it in the sand.
What do celery eat
Many people perceive celery more as a seasoning and add its root, raw or stewed, to vegetable salads, to meat and fish dishes, to baked vegetables, or as a fry to porridge. In such cases, celery is usually rubbed on a large grater and, if necessary, stewed in oil with the addition of seasonings.
But there are those who love to eat celery as the main ingredient. To do this, the root is cleaned, cut into strips or cubes, and stewed with other spices and vegetables. For example, onions, garlic, carrots, parsnips, tomatoes, bell peppers, peas, coriander, pine nuts.
Such a side dish such as julienne will be a wonderful addition to baked fish or lean meat. Dietary fresh celery salad can be prepared with the addition of a boiled egg or processed cheese. In addition, the vegetable can be baked in a cream sauce in a basket.
Celery quickly comes to readiness, so with it you can quickly prepare a healthy vitamin breakfast or an addition to dinner, while the main dishes are prepared.
This product will fit well into the children's diet for the formation of healthy digestion and saturation with vitamins.
On diets and in complexes of a healthy diet, smoothies with the addition of celery will come in the best way. It will make the drink less bland and add a specific spicy touch. A glass of such juice on an empty stomach triggers digestion and provides a good exchange and proper digestion of food, normalizes stools and gives a feeling of lightness for the whole day.
Before use, celery is cleaned by removing the peel and cork, as well as cleaning out all the places where the processes were. After cleaning, it is advisable to rinse the vegetable. If you are not going to cook the whole tuber - do not remove the peel from the entire surface - treat the root crop like a pumpkin. Keep the “started” vegetable in the refrigerator under the film, try not to keep this fruit for more than 4 days. So that the open surface does not darken, you can sprinkle it with acid.
Celery is a versatile vegetable, so feel free to connect the fantasy. Here are some classic recipes.
Light vegetable soup
To pamper your body with a pleasant liquid food, boil such a delicious tomato soup:
- celery root - 200 g,
- white cabbage - 400 g,
- onion - 3 pcs.,
- Bulgarian pepper - 2 pcs.,
- Tomatoes - 4 pcs.,
- green beans - 150 g,
- tomato juice - 1.5 l,
- spices to taste, sunflower oil.
All vegetables need to chop into cubes or strips, season and pour tomato juice. You can dilute the mixture with water if you do not like sour dishes. The liquid should cover the vegetables with a margin of two fingers - for liquid soup, 1 cm - if you prefer to grind the soup in a puree. Bring the soup to a boil and simmer on low heat until the vegetables are soft. After cooking, the mixture can be ground in a blender and served with fresh herbs. If desired, you can add potatoes and carrots to the soup.
The following composition will be the ideal light side dish or snack:
- celery root - 350-400 g,
- carrots - 1 large pieces.,
- leek - 1/3 stem,
- dill, parsley, cilantro - 1/3 of the beam,
- lemon - 1/2 pcs. (on juice),
- vegetable oil - 3 tbsp.
- garlic, salt, pepper - to taste.
Chop vegetables into strips, onions - half-rings, chop greens and garlic. Pour lemon juice over celery - it will give a soft taste, and the cubes will not darken and will not lose their appetizing appearance. Heat the pan with oil and podzolote root a couple of minutes, then stew it under the lid until soft. Add the rest of the vegetables, let them stew along with the celery. Before readiness sprinkle the dish with greens, carefully move and remove from heat. The snack is ready.
Aperitif - delicate celery salad
To make an appetite appetizer, make this salad:
- celery root - 350 g,
- raw carrots - 150-200 g,
- boiled egg - 1-1.5 pcs.,
- onions - 1.4 heads,
- green onions - 3-4 pies,
- salt, sauce.
Hard vegetables rub on a large grater, chop the onion into cubes and small ringlets. Mix the ingredients, salt them and season with mayonnaise, cream sauce and diet yogurt.
Celery for weight normalization
One of the most exciting topics of modern man is perhaps the desire to lose weight. And in this regard, celery root is immensely beneficial. Its benefits and harms are well known to nutritionists. With regular intake of the above-mentioned vegetable (along with food), those extra pounds are removed easily and efficiently, without adversely affecting the body.
And the nerves will correct.
Celery has a positive effect on our nervous system. In the human blood there is a so-called stress hormone. Substances that are part of the plant in question, pacify and calm us. This is due to a substantial reduction in the content of the hormone in the blood. Therefore, instead of resorting to the use of a sedative, you can simply eat a little magic vegetable or drink the juice obtained from it.
The composition and beneficial properties of celery root
Celery is unique in that it retains all its beneficial properties all year round, so you can buy it in any season. The inclusion of this vegetable in the daily diet is a good prevention of vitamin deficiency. Due to the content in the composition of a large number of nutrients celery root can cure many diseases. It contains vitamins of group B, vitamins K, E, provitamin A and ascorbic acid, many microelements and essential oils. All components contribute to the normalization of cell functions of the body.
Since celery root contains a large amount of the strongest antioxidants - vitamin C and flavonoids, this vegetable is able to protect the body from many types of cancer, it strengthens the immune system and helps to cope with colds. Regular consumption of celery root helps reduce blood pressure.
The calorie content of this product is only 34 kcal per 100 g, so it can be used to prepare various dishes during the diet. Celery can be consumed in any form, but when it is consumed raw, the body will be guaranteed to receive all the beneficial substances contained in it. Celery has a mild laxative effect, it raises the overall tone of the body and contributes to the improvement of physical and mental performance.
Celery root in traditional medicine
The healing properties of celery root have been known for a long time. Drugs based on it improve the activity of the kidneys and liver, have a beneficial effect on the gastrointestinal tract, promote wound healing, normalize and enhance sexual function, relieve insomnia, help cure atherosclerosis and urolithiasis.
In the recipes of traditional medicine, the use of celery is very diverse. This vegetable has a positive effect on the work of the heart muscle and is used in the treatment of rheumatism, asthma, gout, exhaustion. Regular use of fresh juice of celery root cleanses the blood, improves metabolism, removes toxins, uric acid from the body, eliminates allergic dermatitis, urticaria, diathesis, malaria. Celery root is used to improve the skin, nails and hair, this vegetable is also very useful for visual impairment.
A mixture of juice of celery roots and carrots is useful in vitamin deficiency, disorders of the nervous system. The use of this vegetable slows down the aging process, improves the condition during chronic fatigue, stimulates the secretion of gastric juice. Celery root is used to improve the water-salt metabolism, for the treatment of diabetes, joints, diseases of the urogenital system.
Active ingredients of celery root:
- Up to 4% sugar,
- 2.5% vegetable protein,
- Elements of potassium, calcium and phosphorus,
- A large amount of vitamin C. Celery surpasses all vegetable crops in the content of this vitamin. This substance is involved in many biological processes of the cells of the body and manifests itself as a powerful antioxidant.
- Carotene (the precursor of vitamin A), carotene slows the formation of active radicals. Thus, it protects the cells of the immune system from damage by active chemical compounds and helps to maintain the state of immunity at a high level. Carotene is a natural immunostimulant that increases the body's immune reserves, regardless of the type of harmful factors, that is, it has a nonspecific effect.
- The complex of vitamins of group B. The presence of these substances is necessary for the metabolism of carbohydrates, fats and proteins,
- Vitamin E. The substance of tocopherol exhibits the properties of an antioxidant and a substance that improves the absorption of oxygen in the cells, which is not superfluous in the modern world with a large number of chemical additives in food and a wide range of household chemicals.
- Vitamin K. The presence of this substance is necessary for the normal synthesis of proteins, which ensure the functioning of enzymes in various stages of blood clotting. This compound acts as a catalyst for the exchange of calcium in the bone and connective tissue of the body, as well as in the regulation of renal excretory function.
- Vitamin PP. It participates in the majority of redox reactions, the creation of active enzymes in various organs of the body and the regulation of lipid and carbohydrate metabolism for energy production by cells. When it is used, capillaries expand, blood circulation improves, it prevents adhesion of red blood cells.
The use of plant tubers also produces the following positive effects:
- decrease and stabilization of blood pressure,
- elimination of inflammatory processes
- rejuvenation of cells and tissues
- normalization of the nervous system,
- healing of damaged skin,
- growth arrest and prevention of metastasis of malignant tumors,
- improvement of water-salt metabolism,
- stimulation of the production of gastric juice,
- fighting constipation
- increased appetite
- restoration of blood circulation
- strengthening the immune system
- relieving allergy symptoms
- toning the body as a whole,
- relaxation of smooth muscles, including the heart,
- increase in hemoglobin concentration in the blood,
- decrease puffiness
- correction of the production of synovial fluid in the joints,
- prevention of infection with infectious viral diseases.
Video about the benefits of celery
For healing of a peptic ulcer and gastritis, decoction of root celery is used, and with gout and rheumatism, a remarkable effect can be achieved by taking an infusion of celery root before eating (1 tablespoon of the root crop is ground out in a shredded form).
But not only in folk medicine and cooking used celery root, the use of this plant is used in cosmetology. The dried root crop is ground, mixed with nutmeg, ginger, cilantro and honey and applied to the face like a cleansing mask and scrub. The skin of the face after such a scrub looks fresher and younger.