Strawberry Marshal has the following positive qualities:
- high and stable yield, especially in the first year of planting,
- Bushes quickly and simply take root, easily adapt to the climatic conditions of the region and withstand temperature changes,
- early ripening and long-term fruiting,
- excellent taste of berries and the versatility of their use: fresh, for dessert preparation and preservation,
- thanks to the large size of the leaves, the berries are protected from sunlight and voracious birds,
- Bushes do not need a special feeding, they resist drought, while giving a high and high-quality crop,
- the plant tolerates frost, so you can grow a variety in any climatic conditions,
- variety resists diseases, although prevention should not be neglected.
There are downsides:
- low transportability,
- in the second year, fruiting is reduced, so that the beds are to be developed every year.
Characteristics of the berries
Bushes are large and spreading. The leaves are large, pale green in color, and the stems are straight and strong.
Berries bright scarlet color with a glossy surface. They have excellent sweet taste and pleasant aroma. Inside there are no voids, the flesh is juicy, a little loose. One strawberry weighs about 90 g. Eat harvested crops can be fresh, used for jam or freeze.
Breeds by replanting sockets with their further planting in a greenhouse or open ground. Before this, it is necessary to prepare a solution of potassium permanganate (its color should be light pink). Put the planting material in it, or rather its roots for 10 minutes, and then rinse it with clean water.
Planting is a difficult, but very responsible business, since the survival rate of the bushes and the further productivity will depend on the quality of these works.
Choosing a place
For Marshall varieties you need to choose well-lit area with loose and aerated soil. The soil should be nourishing with excellent moisture penetration. Groundwater level should not exceed 1 m.
It is undesirable to plant on the slopes of the south side of the garden, where in the spring the snow melts faster, exposing the plant and condemning it to freezing.
Site preparation and seedlings
The process of preparing the beds is as follows:
- Before planting, the ground must be dug up on the spade bayonet.
- Depending on the type and composition of the soil, the necessary amount of humus and sand will be added. For example, on peaty land it will take 6 kg of humus, 10 kg of sand (per 1m2). For clay soil - 10 kg of humus, 12 kg of sand and 5 kg of rotted sawdust.
To prepare high quality planting material, it is necessary good to sanitize the root system. Suitable for this weak solution of potassium permanganate. Maintain plants in it for 5-7 minutes, and then rinse with clean water.
For strawberries, the best time to plant remains early spring. If the landing activities carried out in the fall, the yield may be reduced. In this case, it is necessary to perform all the work 14 days before the onset of serious frosts.
The planting process is as follows:
- Prepare the holes, the size of which must match the size of the roots of bushes.
- Arrange landing pits in compliance distances of 25-30 cm, and between the rows - 80 cm.
- Pour the wells with warm water in the amount of 1 l. Sow shrub and sprinkle with its roots, leaving a growing point on the surface.
- Stub lightly and pour some more water.
Strawberries respond positively to hydration. Watering it regularly is necessary in early May. Moisten the soil better in the evening or in the morning, Pour the liquid strictly under the root, as if it hits the foliage it can cause a burn. In the hot summer water 2-3 times a week. In more temperate climates, irrigation should be carried out once a week.
Care and feeding
In terms of care Marshal picky berry, but to obtain a high yield, you must follow the following recommendations:
- Loosening. Around the bushes, the ground should be loose all the time, since the root system needs oxygen and moisture. If the soil is dense and clogged, then the fruiting is reduced, and the berries become smaller.
- Top dressing. For feeding, gardeners use organic matter, since this berry crop is delicate and, if you do not guess with the dosage of the mineral preparation, the plant can be burned. For fertilizers such compositions are suitable: slurry, infusion of chicken manure, infusion of weeds, wood ash. Add fertilizing during the growth of strawberries, flowering and the formation of berries.
- Preparing for the winter. In the autumn, when fruiting is over, the foliage is to be cut from the bushes. Perform this work carefully: leave hemp at least 3 cm, since flower buds will form at this height. When growing strawberries in harsh conditions, you will need to cover the bushes with agrofibre.
Diseases and pests
Marshall variety is resistant to diseases, then in case of violation of agricultural technology, the bushes can affect the following diseases:
- Fusarium - fungal disease, in which brown spotting is formed on the leaves and petioles. Cure the disease does not work, and the affected bush to be removed from the ground and burn.
- Mealy dew. In this disease, the leaf plate is twisted into a tube, and white bloom appears on the surface. A solution obtained from 30 drops of iodine and 1 l of milk will be suitable for treatment.
As for pests, the following parasites are dangerous:
- strawberry mite.
Sophia, Moscow region: “The Marshall variety is the easiest to care for. I do not pay special attention to the bushes and do not spend much time. The sizes are large, the leaves are wide and fleshy, thanks to which they displace weed crops. This variety is ideal for those summer residents who can not often visit at their site. Marshal does not require regular and abundant watering, while giving a tasty and high yield. ”
Oksana, Rostov on Don: “I was attracted by its sweet and big berries. I use them for making jam and compotes. I appreciate a grade for high productivity and simplicity in leaving. From personal experience, I can say that with regular soil loosening and watering, the crop will not take long to wait. ”
Irina, Belgorod: “I can’t but agree that the Marshal is unpretentious, but also resistant to various diseases. Berry bushes tolerate rain and heat, and the excellent taste and juiciness of ripe berries will not leave anyone indifferent. ”
Watch an informative video about this wonderful variety:
Where better to plant
Strawberry Marshal feels good on open sunny ridges and fertile soils. When selecting a place for planting a variety of American selection, it is necessary to take into account the predecessor crops, it is best to plant a variety after:
- radish, radish, salads and spinach,
- dill, legumes and parsley,
- turnips, carrots and celery:
- onion and garlic,
- tulips, daffodils and marigolds,
- mustard and phacelia.
Many of these crops can also be planted between strawberry bushes.
Ridges for strawberries need to form especially carefully. The best for planting Marshall varieties are clay and not drained raw areas, as gardeners write about in reviews. It is good to create ridges on low hills, so that the earth can warm from all sides. Place the ridges in the lighted areas in the south-north direction.
The soil for strawberries are prepared in the fall. Organic fertilizers such as compost or humus, peat, as well as sand and wood ash are added. During digging choose the roots and all plant residues. If phacelia or mustard grew on the site, they are not pulled out, but buried in the soil.
As already noted, Marshall strawberries can be propagated by seed, root division and rosettes. Sowing seeds carried out in February and grown seedlings in the traditional way. Planted seedlings after establishing positive temperatures.
By dividing the bush, you can propagate strawberries in early spring, and rosettes - as they form. Spring planting allows you to get viable and fruiting plants. In addition, such plants during the summer build up a powerful root system and tolerate the winter well.
Gardeners can plant bushes:
- one line,
- in two lines.
As the strawberry grows so much, there should be enough distance between them.
It is necessary to know
If the gardener has decided to seriously pursue a crop like strawberries, remember:
- Strawberries are returned to the old place no earlier than in 3-4 years. The fact is that spores of fungal diseases have a high strain activity. In addition, ectoparasites may remain in the ground for a long time.
- With nitrogen-containing fertilizers need to be careful, because they contribute to the growth of green mass, and dramatically reduce the formation of peduncles. In no case should you overdo it.
Peculiarities of care
Any special requirements for growing varieties of strawberries Marshal does not exist. All events are traditional, although some nuances do exist:
- According to the description and reviews of gardeners involved in the crop, the plant is drought-resistant. But to rely on it is not necessary, watering should be regular.
- With regards to top dressing, Marshall variety responds well to organic matter: extracts of mullein, chicken manure, green grass and nettle. Strawberries are fed four times: in early spring, before flowering, at the time of pouring the berries and after harvesting. This procedure is combined with irrigation and soil loosening. If the shoots become thin, then the strawberry variety bushes shed with infusion of wood ash, and the leaves dry powder composition. In addition to root dressing, foliar feedings are welcome. They are carried out with ammonia, boric acid or iodine. In 10 liters dissolve 1 tablespoon of any substance.
- To prevent disease and destroy pests using special drugs. Gardeners are advised to plant fragrant green herbs among marshal strawberry bushes, as well as marigolds and calendula. Any fertilizing and processing chemicals stop a month before harvesting.
- For harvesting, it is necessary to remove excess mustaches and yellowing leaves on fruit-bearing bushes.
- In the autumn after the end of fruiting, the leaves are cut off. This work must be done carefully: be sure to leave hemp at least 3 cm, since at this height flower buds are formed. For winter in harsh landing conditions are covered.
The Marshall variety is easy to grow, the main thing is to take into account the peculiarities of the development of the plant and to comply with agrotechnical norms.
The history of breeding strawberries varieties "Marshal"Variety "Marshal" - The result of the work of the American breeder Marshall Huella. The scientist brought strawberries suitable for cultivation in northeastern Massachusetts, in which he worked. Marshall strawberry was introduced to the public in 1890 and quickly gained popularity as a winter-hardy variety, with good fruiting performance.
At the end of the Second World War, strawberries conquered the markets of Europe and Japan.
Description of the "Marshal" variety
Strawberry Marshall has large, bushy bushes. Leaf plates - large, pale green, stalks strong and straight. The variety is unique in terms of adaptation to growing conditions, winter-hardy and tolerates heat well. It is medium late, bears fruit for a long period and is quite fruitful.
Bright scarlet berries with a shiny surface have a sweet taste and a pleasant aroma. Marshall Strawberry has no voids inside, its pulp is juicy, slightly loose, the mass of berries is up to 90 grams.
Due to the average density of fruits, the variety is not very transportable, it should be extremely careful during transportation. The most abundant fruiting is observed in the first year of the plant's life, then the yield drops slightly, but not noticeably.
Strawberry "Marshal" in the description of the variety is recognized as a universal berry: it is equally good and suitable for fresh consumption, for various conservation, freezing and heat treatment for desserts.
Proper planting strawberry seedlings "Marshal"
For Marshall strawberries, early spring is the best time to plant. When planting in autumn, yield may drop significantly. If, however, the procedure occurred in the fall, then it should be planted no later than fourteen days before the onset of severe frosts.
When planting, given the ability of bushes to grow strongly, they are planted in a staggered manner, leaving a distance of at least 25 cm. In the future, adult bushes will not interfere with each other, and their root systems will be freely distributed.
Watering and loosening the soil
Strawberries need watering from the first days of May, that is, during their active growth. Watering is necessary regularly until the harvest. This procedure is carried out in the morning or evening, so that drops of moisture on the leaves, evaporating in the active sun, do not burn the plant tissue.
The land around the bushes should be constantly loose, as the roots need oxygen and moisture. On dense, clogged soil, fruiting will be scarce or not at all.
When it is time to fertilize strawberries, it is better to use organic fertilizers, since this crop is too delicate and, not guessing with a dose of mineral composition, the plant can be burned.
Fertilize it with organic materials such as slurry, infusion of chicken manure, infusion of weeds, nettle, wood ash. Strawberries should be fed during growth, flowering and fruit formation.
Marshall strawberry has always been distinguished by its yield. From one bush usually collect up to one and a half kilograms of berries. They ripen in early June. It is noteworthy that in latitudes with a mild and warm climate, two and three crops can be harvested.
The berries of this variety are large and tasty with a sugary pink color of the pulp, without voids. It is desirable to collect the crop in dry weather in the afternoon. The wet berry will not be stored, and in the morning there is often dew on the berries. The fruits of the “Marshal” are of medium density, so during transportation you should take care of the “convenience” of the harvested crop.
Strawberry is a sunny and healthy fruit, uplifting with one kind of its glossy bright red berries. It is useful fresh, its juice is tasty, when frozen, strawberries retain all their properties, and berries can be preserved, dried or stored as candied fruits.